Do you find customization in video games to be boring...

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Rebel_Scum

Do you ever find customization in video games to be boring or frustrating?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By AlexW00d

Or, you know, I find it the opposite of boring, because that's what it is.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Why would it ever be boring or frustrating? In fact, the lack of it is more likely to inspire boredom... *whispers* dragon age 2 *runs away*.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Capum15

I don't think I've come across a game with "Boring" customization. If I have, I don't remember it.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rebel_Scum

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Why would it ever be boring or frustrating? In fact, the lack of it is more likely to inspire boredom... *whispers* dragon age 2 *runs away*.

When you've just got the game and really want to play it but have to endure what can be 15mins of option menu's.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

There's some games where I don't fiddle much with all the options, but I'm always glad to see a lot of customization, it allows for people to play a game much more intensely if they so choose.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@Rebel_Scum: Oh, we're talking about options. Well, if you're forced to go through them, then sure.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShaggE

@Rebel_Scum said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

When you've just got the game and really want to play it but have to endure what can be 15mins of option menu's.

I actually love that. Builds anticipation, especially if it's a game you've been waiting a long time for.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ajamafalous

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mandude

I only hate not knowing whether or not I can change it later.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By probablytuna

I don't find it to be boring, although I find it frustrating that for most games with customisation, there's very little difference between the choices. An example would be Mass Effect's lack of any real difference in hair styles for male Shepard.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JazGalaxy

Are we talking about, like, experience and "upgrading" your character? Because if so, then yes. A million times yes. It's stupid and trite " carrot on a stick" gameplay that exists to keep you so distracted trying to get the next animation cycle that you don't realize that the game has little to no entertaining gameplay.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By MEATBALL

Customisation menus are so boring, no explosions.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Customisation is often my favourite thing in games. Star Trek Online initially feels like a much better game than it actually is, because it allows you to completely customise your captain, crew, uniform and ships.

If anything, I think games should have more customisation.

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ketchupp

I love customization. It's the only reason why I played APB.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By Justin258

@ajamafalous said:

I see your point. Well worded!

OP: If I'm finding the customization boring, then I simply don't do it. If you don't like it, then just do something random and then run with it. I'm not exactly the type of person to spend a whole lot of time customizing things, so I generally don't worry about it. Hell, my Halo Reach spartan got some random parts put on him and I haven't changed anything about him yet, save for the colors every now and then.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By crusader8463

It's frustrating when it's a poorly designed character creator and I can't find a design/theme for a character that I like. Whether it be due to too many options with little variation from one another or a lack of any meaningful options. Making my character and thinking about how she will interact with the world is one of my favourite parts of any game.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Video_Game_King

@ajamafalous said:

Exactly.

Bad_Soup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bad_Soup

Customization is great, until I realise my character in-game has a wonky looking face and theres no way to change it later.

Restarted Mass Effect so many times.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By egg

I'm gonna go out in a limb and say that the customization itself isn't the problem.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BraveToaster

It depends on the game. It's awesome when customization is implemented properly.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

No. Literally, almost never. Even a shittily (well, that's a word now) designed system has its ins and outs and trying to maneuver that system is one of my favorite parts of video games and, especially, tabletop games.

I love digging through menus rich with information and figuring out systems.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dagas

No, if you don't like it there are usually presets to choose from. I hate it when games don't allow you to create your own character, at least when it's an RPG it's not important in an FPS game for obvious reasons.

It's especially important in games with choice and games you replay so that your different Shepards or your Hawkes or whatever will look different. My good Hawke looks very different from my angry Hawke or my funny Hawke.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By M_Shini

There are definitely games where i just really don't care about it, and as long as it isn't going to hold me back big time its fine being in there, decent example is Mass effect, i could go through without going out of my way to obtain new and better weapons to help me progress.

In terms of pure aesthetic customisation i really do enjoy having as many options as possible, including what threads i can wear and colours ect.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Customization is one of the best things about video games.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#26  Edited By Little_Socrates

@believer258 said:

If I'm finding the customization boring, then I simply don't do it.

This is the proper solution. If it's boring, it's probably non-essential, or it's in a bad video game that you probably shouldn't play.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Morrow

The more customizable a game is, the more I will like it :]

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AngelN7

The complete opposite dude customization is one of the things only videogames have.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Meowshi

@Rebel_Scum said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

This has literally never happened to me.

Customization is fun. I hate games that skimp on it.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By jacdg

Yeah, I just want to play the game. Whenever I play RPG's or something with extensive customization, I just skip over most facial and body customization, because it is quite tedious, boring and it really doesn't affect anything, I just choose some premade character and then roll out.

PizzaSauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PizzaSauce

Tinkering with the stats on the EA Sports games keeps me and my flatmates' entertainment and hilarity levels sky high. Whacking up the pace, shot power etc sliders up to 100 every once in a while is hilarious.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cloudenvy

@JacDG said:

Yeah, I just want to play the game. Whenever I play RPG's or something with extensive customization, I just skip over most facial and body customization, because it is quite tedious, boring and it really doesn't affect anything, I just choose some premade character and then roll out.

You're like opposite me. I can spend at least 3 hours in a good character creator OCD'ing about how my character looks.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By egg

I dunno if customization is ever boring, I suppose it can be, but what I do know is that sometimes the inclusion (or lack of) customization can make or break a game.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#34  Edited By pyromagnestir

There were some times where I had been fiddling with the customize options to get things just right before realizing that what I was doing didn't really matter and I've been fiddling far too long and then giving up on it so I could just play the fucking game already. But that's more user error, not the games fault.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Sometimes the best part of a game is the customization. Why would anyone find it boring or frustrating? Why are we even have this conversation? This is dumb.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#36  Edited By KillyDarko

@Cloudenvy said:

@JacDG said:

You're like opposite me. I can spend at least 3 hours in a good character creator OCD'ing about how my character looks.

Same here. Sometimes the customisation stuff is even actually better than the game proper... APB comes to mind ^^

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By upwarDBound

No.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By frankfartmouth

Besides giving my characters perverted or godlike names, yes. I don't mess with customized appearances or any of that shit, it never ends up looking the way I want it to anyway. I just pick a preset that I like and get on with it.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By Grumbel
@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Why would it ever be boring or frustrating?

Easy, it comes at the wrong time in most games. When I start with a game, I want to start with the actual gameplay, not spend two hours in some character creator. What makes the situation worse is that you most often can't customize anything after that point, so if you screwed up on a minor detail, you'd be stuck with it for the next 30 hours or have to start over. And a lot of character creators make it very easy to screw up one of the dozens of sliders, as they never give you a detailed enough preview of how the character will look like in game. On top of that there is also the annoying thing that you can often customize things like costume color in an RPG where your costume will be covered by armor five minutes into the game. Customizing a face and then basically never getting to see it in the game is also not that great of a design choice.

Long story short, I like the idea of customization, most implementations of it however flat out suck.
Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gargantuan

Only in Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale since I must roll perfect characters. It's especially annoying in Icewind Dale since you have to roll for every member of your party.