Do you finish bad games?

• 99 results
kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Poll Do you finish bad games? (39 votes)

I finish every game I start 46%
Sometimes 67%
Rarely 77%
Never 49%

So, today I just finished The Evil Within. I think this is one of the worst games I have played in a long time and on several occasions I told myself, "I could be playing anything else and be having more fun." I am however, glad I finished it because I don't like looking up how games finish, I would rather experience it myself, just like with Duke Nukem Forever.

So I ask you, do you finish bad games or do you move on to the next?

• 
BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

When I was a kid and thats the only games I had it wasnt a choice.

some games are bad in a hillarious way. Me and my roomate laughed all the way through sonic '06

but for the most part I dont. I dont have time to finish games I like..

Avatar image for omniscientcajun
omniscientcajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If there's something about the game that continues to compel me to play - story, how it feels to plays, writing, performances, unique gameplay - I will likely finish a game. If there is nothing to drive me, I have no problem stopping. I recently put down Resident Evil 6 after 3 chapters and feel zero regret about doing so.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sold back Watch________________________________________Dogs a few days after playing it.

So..........I'm gonna say no I guess.

boysef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

the bigger think piece on this is "why do I finish shit games, rather than good games..."

Avatar image for wakkaflakkachimmichonga
wakkaflakkachimmichonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i try unless it's a REALLY terribad game like final fantasy x

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cheetoman

i finished destiny. just had to grind through the same content. Didn't finish evil within. I don't know if i can or ever will. still have it installed on my ps4 though.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cheetoman

@kaos_cracker: is it really that bad? i was thinking about getting the remastered version and it has received great reviews almost everywhere. why is it bad?

Avatar image for wakkaflakkachimmichonga
wakkaflakkachimmichonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FrostyRyan

i try unless it's a REALLY terribad game like final fantasy x

Those are fightin' words, buddy

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I have, over the years. Nowadays I'm entering the more money than time phase Jeff occasionally references. And I feel less terrible putting down a terrible game now.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I exercise Wolpaw's Law on em.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@undefined: I strive to finish every game I buy and generally manage to stick to that rule. Last game I didn't bother finishing was FarCry 3 but not because it was bad - I just didn't need to see any more if it.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to not play "bad" games, but I'm prone to renting games I have no intention of ever buying.

Like, I'm currently playing Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, and it's okay, but it drags on. I don't remember mission specifics for the first two games, but good lord do the missions in this game feel like they're over and then you realize you have 30 more minutes left. You get to the destination and then it says, "Oh, you need to go back and collect 3 things here, here, and here."

Granted, that's a lot of games.

I'm about 75% completion through the Pre-Sequel and I stopped having some enjoyment since the halfway point.

I went back and played the original Need for Speed: Most Wanted recently, and it was cool for the first hour with all the dopey cut-scenes and then it was really boring with the Blacklist until the end. It was a good arcade racer, technically speaking, but without the cut-scenes for the entire chunk of the game, it really made it less fun.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Justin258

I dunno, it depends on the game. If it's a six hour long shooter campaign, I'll probably finish it. I can eat those things up like candy.

If it's a sixty hour RPG, I try but it usually takes me months and I play it off and on.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nope, I will drop a game over the most minor thing and sometimes for no reason at all. If I'm not having fun I will stop playing.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cheetoman: The Evil Within? Remastered? What? lol. The combat in that game feels really bad to the point where fighting anything becomes a chore as aiming for a good shot and missing because of reasons I don't understand of as well as having multiple enemy encounters in a row and giving you maybe one bullet. The game looks great, just playing it and not having the character do what you want him to do is frustrating.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Sometimes. I definitely will if it's relatively short and not too hard. I will never finish Wasteland 2, because "dozens of hours" is far too many for me to put up with that game's plethora of jank. I did begrudgingly finish Medal of Honor (2010) though...

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I realized about 2 hours into Nier that playing it was absolutely no fun. But I heard the story pays off so I kept going.

Then I got to the "end" and it made no goddamn sense and I read that I'm supposed to play new game+ or something to get the big picture. Did not do that

So in the end I don't even know.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes.

I always make an honest effort to finish games, but I can only endure so much.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

If I see enough potential I'll play a less than great game through longer than usual. Sometimes to the end.

Joemotycki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Normally i play through all games i bought. And then i played Paper mario: sticker star. I got through about 16 out of 20 hours of that game and i just couldn't psyche myself up to finish it.

bhurnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I was going to say 'never', but then I realised that's not true - I've occasionally played a game to its ending and only afterwards realised that I wasn't enjoying myself. And I've godmoded through a few just to see what happens.

But otherwise no, I don't. I've only finished perhaps a quarter of the games I own, no need to waste time on the worst ones!

Bonus facts:

• Fastest time to "fuck this" in a non-indie game: Alpha Protocol, less than half an hour
  • Game stopped with least gameplay remaining: Master Reboot, during the final boss battle
Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...did you really just compare Evil Within to Duke Nukem Forever? I mean the game is definitely not good, but that's out there man. Next you going to say Colonial Marines is better than Evil Within?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NTM

Most of the time yes, I say most, because there is only one that I found to be so dull to the extent I couldn't finish it, which was this years Thief. That game literally almost put me to sleep, and it's got problems aside from being dull. For me, it's rare to not finish games I buy, or go back to, but I'm not sure if I'll ever want to go back to Thief. It's not a terrible game, but it's between poor and mediocre to me.

hohosaregood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell, I barely finish good games nowadays. So much to do, so little attention span.

Wargarbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Wargarbler

Same here.. mostly just time investment. I don't have all the time in the world anymore

Hell, I barely finish good games nowadays. So much to do, so little attention span.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It depends on if it's bad in the boring way or bad in the fun way. Some bad things are fun. The boring kind of bad is the only thing I can't finish.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to say yes, but I'm coming up empty when I try to think of the last bad game I completed. (At least, a game I considered bad but made myself finish. I'm pretty sure I've beaten a fair bit of games others consider to be complete shit)

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Nope. Red Faction Armageddon and F.E.A.R. 3 are the two games where the whole "if you're not having fun with it then stop playing" thing really clicked with me.

That said, I don't really finish good games either. Witcher 1 has taken me like 7 years to beat. Did I say beat? Because I'm actually still playing it.

"Playing it".

DJMoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DJMoo

It depends how bad and what else I have on my plate. Definitely back in the day, I finished many games I thought were bad either cause I had nothing better to play or cause the game was well received and I felt I should see it through. For example, I played through FFXII but I thought it was a miserable experience. Similarly, I had a boring time with GTAIV but I played it through to the end (sorry for the people who like these games!! Just my opinion.). However, I feel like now I have less time to play video games so I tend not to waste my time with games I don't enjoy....mostly.

EDIT: Oh man I remember playing a GBA football game that sucked so bad when I was a kid. It was terrible yet I often played it when I was bored.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here and there, usually only if I see a glimmer of hope in the shit, or if its part of a series that I love so much I'll play them despite my not enjoying them (Silent Hill Downpour fits both of those requirements for me.)

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I give a game ten hours. If, after ten hours it's still not something I want to keep playing, I just drop it. The reason why I set it at ten hours is because I've seen some games that have really long tutorials and don't open up until you've given them a lot of time. If I have spent ten hours and the game is still not very interesting to me I'll stop.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to finish absolutely every game I started, but I'm a grown-up now. I got shit to do. So, "sometimes".

enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah sure, sometimes I finish games I don't like and sometimes I don't finish games I do like. It can happen for all sorts of reasons. For example I played through the entirety of The Swapper and the whole time the only thing I found appealing about it was the art, I had essentially no fun in the hours I spent with it. I played through it because it had a good look and it came highly recommended by one Patrick Klepek. Recently I played through Costume Quest 2, a game I would characterize as largely flat and mediocre. I did this because I like and want to support Double Fine, and I hadn't played the first game and thought I should see what the series was about.

On the other side of the coin I loved the time I spent with Mutant Mudds Deluxe, but I got sidetracked by another game at a point before finishing it and now I'm so far removed I know I'm never going to go back. I started Far Cry 3 after picking it up on a steam sale and thought it seemed great, but it turned out I wasn't really in the mood for a lengthy AAA game at the time, and I knew Far Cry 4 was coming out in a few months, so I put it down.

Things like required time investment versus availability of time, amount of money spent versus total budget, and difficult/impossible to predict whims often win out over perceived quality. Same thing happens with pretty well all forms of entertainment.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

too little time to play the good games as it is, I rarely spent more than a couple of hours with a bad one.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

The only time I won't finish a game is when the game is so broken to the point where I actually can't finish it.

See Steel Battalion

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

Chances are, if I'm playing a bad game I'm doing so on purpose with the intent to finish it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've finished most of the Sonic games I own; so, in the eyes of the world, yes, I do.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last shitty game I remember playing through to completion was Homefront. It's not that I'm prone to bail on games I don't like, it's just with so much pre release coverage of games at your fingertips, I rarely play something that I don't like. I know they're out there but they're so easy to avoid now.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Very rarely. Sometimes bad things still somewhat appeal to me, and then I might finish them. Drakengard 3 would be the most recent example.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

I used to try and push through everything, but I can't really do it anymore. Or I just don't want to waste my time in that way. If I'm playing something that I don't enjoy playing, I stop. Even when it makes me sad to do so, like recently with Planescape: Torment.

Dragontern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had to finish Hitman Absolution, I couldn't let it beat me.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#44  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Nah. Who has the time?

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragontern: See, that's the wrong mentality for this. If the game has failed to capture your attention while playing it, the game has lost, not you.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

Life's too short.

I've got a huge pile of good games I've not had time to finish (or even start in some cases) so good luck trying to convince me to deal with the bad ones. ;-)

I've got a category on my Steam library called 'Shite'. Having all the crap in there, uninstalled, and displaying Steam as only installed games is the closest I can get to forgetting it exists.

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

I would play and finish bad games regularly, but I already have way more other games to even get through that I haven't touched yet. So no. It would personally make sense for me if this was a thread for regularly watching bad movies (because of length). Though that's me.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Legend of Korra was the last time I did that. I platinumed it. I also didn't know how much I hated Alpha Protocol until I got right to the end. I have a reputation for beating games I absolutely hate as a sort of power of wills. I can't think of any other games right though.

Grelik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undefined: the last bad game I finished was MGS4. I felt like a masochist forcing myself to watch that final cutscene. I had no idea it was going to be as long as it was, it just kept going... What a dumb game.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

In my youth, when I had tons of time but few video games, I did this frequently. Nowadays, I already don't have enough time for stuff I do enjoy. Why would I waste that time on something I'm not having fun with?