Do you like Danswers?

• 137 results
lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, here I am listening to bombcasts and watching quick looks when I noticed episode 5 of Danswers is on the front page. I was surprised it's already at 5 since it is fairly new. Is Danswers funny, insightful or just full of Dan things like wrestling, Kansas stories or otherworldly anecdotes? Is it worth listening to or should I stay on my course of re-listening to older bombcasts until the new ones come out weekly?

Give me your opinions duder nation!

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

It's full of everything you said.

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mbdoeden

Yes, I like it. Danswers IS funny and insightful. Anecdotal? For sure, but Ryckert is definitely not a dumbass and knows how to give and take serious advice. The guy knows when to turn "it" on and when to leave "it" off. Overall, I think it's a good time.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The more O'Dwyer on GB there is, the better.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, here I am listening to bombcasts and watching quick looks when I noticed episode 5 of Danswers is on the front page. I was surprised it's already at 5 since it is fairly new. Is Danswers funny, insightful or just full of Dan things like wrestling, Kansas stories or otherworldly anecdotes? Is it worth listening to or should I stay on my course of re-listening to older bombcasts until the new ones come out weekly?

Give me your opinions duder nation!

You should listen to it and find out, if you want to know what goes on in that...thing.

There's not a whole lot of wrestling talk, though.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

It's great! There isn't actually that much wrestling in it compared to most Dan things.

It's a fun podcast for sure. I look forward to it.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

It's great.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Junkboy

I loved the first two but I don't think I actually like it as continued content I want to partake in. Glad it's there for people who like it though. I know this is no way impacts endurance or breaking series but I just wish we had something else aside from MG Scanlon.

johnnymcginley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really love it.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#10 sweep  Moderator

It's funny enough, sure, and they talk about a wide range of topics. I regularly disagree with what they have to say, but whatever. Opinions.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Yes, I do.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love it as long as we never get another episode of strictly Dan and Danny. I love those guys but they need a third person to counteract their own experiences which most of us had already heard by the end of episode 2. The reason why I love it is that we get to hear an often very serious side of everyone involved that, especially with someone like Jeff, we aren't used to hearing. Don't get me wrong, Jeff has never been one to stray from telling a personal anecdote or two, but to hear him actually tell it not to set up a punchline but to discuss his psychological reaction to it made me appreciate him more. Same goes for the Dans and probably any other crew member that will appear on that show.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I love it. It's really to see a more serous side of Giantbomb.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Love it.

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't take advice from people I don't want to emulate, so Its a pass for me.

DirtyRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's pretty good. A little gynocentric for my tastes; however, it's entertaining.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vierastalo said:

I love it as long as we never get another episode of strictly Dan and Danny. I love those guys but they need a third person to counteract their own experiences which most of us had already heard by the end of episode 2. The reason why I love it is that we get to hear an often very serious side of everyone involved that, especially with someone like Jeff, we aren't used to hearing. Don't get me wrong, Jeff has never been one to stray from telling a personal anecdote or two, but to hear him actually tell it not to set up a punchline but to discuss his psychological reaction to it made me appreciate him more. Same goes for the Dans and probably any other crew member that will appear on that show.

This sums me up pretty much. I love the episodes that have a guest. The ones with only Dan and Danny .... eh, they have good moments. The problem is that when left alone to themselves, they tend to gravitate towards a cringe inducing "nice guy" attitude that just makes my skin crawl. Especially when the questions are about dating.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Omega

Danswers changed my life. I mean it. I hope it keeps going forever, but if not then they've already done more to help me than they could ever know.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cloudymusic

It's funny and often entertaining, but I also find myself disagreeing with their advice regularly. I can get not being able to speak about things from a perspective that you've never experienced, but some of the opinions that get dropped can feel extremely naive, or just plain bad advice (IMO). Nothing against the guys, of course, and I'm glad they're bringing in guests more regularly. Not sure if I'll keep regularly listening, but for now, I still am.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I listened to #1, decided it was not for me and stopped listening... I caught the last episode tho, because @samanthazero is cool. I like the idea of a general questions kinda thing, but as is often the case with stuff like that, the relationship stuff is a bit too prevalent.

limond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By limond

I do not. I gave the first one a shot. Then the second one. I stopped about 20 minutes into it because I saw where the future of it was going.

It was going to be a podcast nearly all about relationship questions in which the advice was going to be recycled in as many ways as they could say it. With guests to change things up when they inevitable begin to repeat stories.

Frankly if you need advice you should find trusted, and respected professionals.

EsDeib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I flipping love it.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they're fun.

As long as you don't go in taking everything SUPER SERIOUS like a lot of people who complain about it you'll see it's actually a decent lil' podcast.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafaelfc said:

I think they're fun.

As long as you don't go in taking everything SUPER SERIOUS like a lot of people who complain about it you'll see it's actually a decent lil' podcast.

I like the fact that they preface every episode by saying that they are not experts and to take everything with a grain of salt yet people still get angry. It's like, come on people, let's be reasonable here.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I've been considering giving it a shot for a while, though how much of it is them trying to give serious advice and how much is it just joking around like MbMbaM? Because if there is one person whom I think is vastly unqualified to try to dispense serious personal advice, it's Dan Ryckert.

bugbarbecue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_h: you know who else aren't experts? The McElroy Brothers.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy it, I prefer to think of it as a filler podcast for slow weeks, or if I end up with more time than usual. I listen for the stories since a lot of the advice stuff you kinda have to realize is just opinionated views on situations you probably don't run into a regular basis. These tend to be shorter than the PowerBombcast and GiantBombcast but you can still get a lot out of them.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm super torn on it. So far I have only listened to 4 episodes and I think episode 2 and 4 was pretty good but 1 and 3 were kind of "meh." I also think that the questions that are sent in are already getting a little same-y 4 episodes in.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's mostly entertaining. Listening to it sometimes reminds me that these people are weird and have weird opinions.

If you're re-listening to old bombcasts while waiting for new bombcasts, may I suggest you instead spend your time on podcasts about different subjects. It might be good for you to broaden your horizons a bit. I went through a similar situation a year ago or so. I found Hardcore History to be very refreshing after years of nothing but game podcasts.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I listened to the first two and though they were pretty cool. Check it out!

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It gets a little much when Danny tries to define what real love is, but the most important thing about the show is that it all comes from a genuine place. And its obviously helped a lot of people already.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Carryboy

i really really like Dan, however i made it through halfway of the first one and realized the podcast wasn't for me, plus everytime Danny kept going on about "Emotional intelligence" or whatever bollocks he was spouting made me roll my eyes so I figured its not for me.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Honestly, I do not. It quickly seemed to devolve into questions about losing your virginity or dating advice, or asking for important advice on stuff neither Dan or Drew are equipped to danswer. I'm glad people enjoy it, but there's a tendency for me to go "I hope people don't take this seriously." Which, to be fair, they give as a disclaimer each time. Instead of being grumpy on forums, I just decided not to listen.

With that being said, I loved Jeff's guest stint on it. That guy's been through a whole lot and feels like he's got some wisdom to share. Just like when he gets strangely serious during Jar Time videos.

DavoTron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like them, but there's a little bit too much of repetition in terms of stories. I'll still listen!

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's mostly fine and entertaining, and sometimes insightful if you take it for what it is: it's a way for two guys and a guest to share their own experiences with depression, anxiety and OCD with others and hopefully give some guidance for people struggling with those problems and secondly a way for people to have an outlet to share their problems and get a second opinion. But most importantly, it shows that problems like this are discussable with people around you.

And on a more technical side: Danny does a good job of not revisiting questions that have already been answered and keeps the discussion going. And despite what Dan might say on the podcast and Twitter, he is actually quite intelligent and open-minded about stuff.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was pretty bad. Listened to the first two and then stopped. Listening to people's relationship problems and then hearing bad advice isn't that fun or funny. And if people are for some reason wanting serious advice on those things there are a million sites dedicated to that.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been considering giving it a shot for a while, though how much of it is them trying to give serious advice and how much is it just joking around like MbMbaM? Because if there is one person whom I think is vastly unqualified to try to dispense serious personal advice, it's Dan Ryckert.

It's all serious advice. And surprisingly Dan's advice isn't that bad. He actually has some pretty good views on how to deal with anxiety. Like others have said, they do have plenty of disagreeable opinions but most of the time the (d)answers still give you a new perspective. Heck, the anecdotes are what make the show worth listening to.

I haven't listened to episode 5 yet but I do hope they don't go over how Danny's long time girlfriend left him right before they got married. I think that story's been told enough times by now. I think part of the problem is that it's becoming a relationship advice podcast, which is mostly because of the questions sent. Still, after the regular ol' Bombcast it's my second most favourite podcast on the site.

badseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who's not a big fan of Dan when he's his "normal" full on heel persona I was pleasantly suprised that he's quite good on this, it's my favourite thing with Mr Ryckert. More Danny on the site is always good too.

Tiamatsword22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I listened to the first three and then decided it's not for me. The weird thing is that even though Dan was a perfectly reasonable person and didn't do his "normal" Waluigi impersonator act in the episodes I listened to, I'm still terrified of the idea of him giving anyone advice.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan becomes a real person, who talks frankly about real things... for the most part

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

valeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan is great. Danny is great. The guests theyve had on so far are great. Hence, podcast is great.

Loving Dan's book so far too. (never thought I'd say that)

ejc93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ejc93

I think it's okay if there's a good guest, definitely not worth the listen when it's just Dan and Danny (but it seems like they're just doing guests from now on). GB tends to be so insular nowadays that I'll take what I can get - Danswers gets people like Samantha Kalman on, so as long as they keep that up I can't complain too much. It's no Bombin', but I can see it serving a similar important role. I hope that they open the door to Skype guests in the future.

Also hoping that they figure out a better middle ground between being open and revealing way too much personal stuff. It's cool that they're willing to share so much, I guess, but I don't think it's totally necessary for the podcast and I've got zero interest in learning as much as I am about Dan and Danny.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

I've listened to the first couple and it isn't my thing.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ichthy

I enjoy it, even though I don't agree with some of Danny's relationship advice.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like it. I think they are still finding a balance between tangents and actual advice, but I have enjoyed all the episodes so far.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I think Jeff should be a staple of the podcast, both Dan's aren't enough for me personally. Don't care for the guests and would like to see a Brad or Drew episode, two people who are very private for the most part would be interesting to hear their thoughts on things.

As a whole its OK, I'm not super excited when there's a new one and generally zone out while I listen. I wish it was as good as MBMBAM, but its not even close

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#48 FinalDasa  Moderator

I prefer to stay danonymous with my opinions.

ejc93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ejc93

@nightriff: Ditching the guests and having it be Dan/Danny/Jeff (with occasional appearances by fellow straight white dudes Brad and Drew) would be the worst thing they could do.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's good but they should drop the "put Dan in every other words/names". It's dumb for a podcast that doesn't actively try to be about dumb fun. In the first episode they said they'd go with it until it got old or something along those lines. Well i think it got old within about 30 secs of the first episode starting.