Do you prefer the Skate or Tony Hawk Games?

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I for one have always had a great admiration for skateboarding. As a child i always took my Walmart board out after a session of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and attempted to Ollie over and over. I really thought i could do the tricks portrayed in the game. I got a bit older and kind of grew out of it, but have always thought it was amazing to see skaters with such skill.

I have just watched a video on YouTube showcasing EA's upcoming new title, Skate 3.  The graphics looks pretty smooth but for some reason i think it looks almost the exact same as Skate 2. There does not seem to be an evident difference. However Skate games seem to be more about realism, and the whole factor of breaking bones. Tony Hawk games have recently attempted to add this to the games but it's seems like a minor disappointment.

Now, we all know Tony Hawk and how successful his gaming franchise, the Tony Hawk Pro Skater franchise, have became over the years. From grinding rails round and round for hours on end to pulling kick-flip back-flips over helicopters with ease, it has had it's fair share of wacky tricks and ideas.

I should briefly mention the controls. EA Skate games have a unique idea of pulling tricks by flicking the control stick this way or the other in different combinations. And Tony Hawk games have changed over the years, from the easy direction + symbol on the Playstation D-Pad controller to that of the new Tony Hawk's RIDE board (which i hear was a bit of a failure).

Easy as pie apparently.
 Easy as pie apparently.

So here is my question. Do you prefer the realism and skill you need to master an EA skate game or the relatively easy, crazy mind-boggling tricks of Tony Hawk games?
Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Brunchies

I prefer Skate's take on skateboarding games but I still love the earlier tony hawk games.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

THPS3. 'nuff said. That was the one game everyone enjoyed for a lot of reasons. I think I might go play it again actually. I've never played the Skate series before but I heard it's great. I've never skated in my life before but even so I can't tell most, if not all tricks in Tony Hawk's looks ridiculously easy. Fun though.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Skate feels much better for me after getting so tired of doing redundant 900s with reverted manuals to frontside bluntslides for a couple of years. I do like the first three Tony Hawk games though.

I feel happy in Skate when I try to do a very challenging and quick section I found out during free skate.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By JJOR64

I like the old school Tony Hawk games.  I have no interest in the new ones what so ever.  I like the wackiness of the first three games.

Vitefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Vitefish

I'm probably one of the few who liked all of the Tony Hawk games (even the recent ones, except RIDE). I also liked both of the Skate games, which will always hold a special place in my heart for being what I play while listening to the Bombcast. I also played THPG during the Bombcast for a little while, but it just wasn't the same. All in all, I love every single skateboarding game ever made (except RIDE)

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman

Skate, easily. Tony Hawk should be ashamed.

Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mariek430

Tony Hawk Underground 2 was the first time I heard 3 Inches Of Blood which puts it up there. But for actual fun and what not, prefer Skate's take on  the genre.

Frederik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Frederik

The most fun I've had with a skateing game was THUG1 but Tony hawk has been miles behind since Skate came along

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MKHavoc

Man, I used to love the Tony Hawk games, but the series went downhill after THUG 1 and I haven't played one of those games since American Wasteland.  I tried giving Skate 2 a go, but I never got good at it after playing for hours so I gave up.  I think I'm done with skating games for now.

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By K0rN

Skate. The first 3 were great but went downhill afterwards especially with Tony Hawk: RIDE.
Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Yukoei
Hahahahaha, Tony hawk ride.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iam3green

as of now i like skate better then tony hawk. back in the day tony hawk was a good game but now they made to many of them so they got bad at making them. it kind of felt like the same game. 

i am hearing that skate 3 seems like the same as 2. it is just a different place to skate i think.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LiquidPrince

Neither anymore.