Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

They aren't reviews. They are quick looks, designed as far as I am aware to show what your experience would be picking up the game and just playing it. If a game doesn't explain things through the experience of playing, that's the game's fault. You shouldn't have to research how to play a game. Sure, it'd be cool for the more serious releases to get a more in depth look and have someone in on the QL that had a good amount of knowledge of the game (Gears of War 3 Ql is a great example) But at the same time, I kinda prefer the way they are now. I wanna see an out of context chunk of a game, not get a video review that only shows like, one level and maybe a multiplayer component or extra mode or what have you.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#102  Edited By Mystyr_E

TotalBiscuit on Youtube does this series called "WTF is..." which is literally boot up the game and start from minute one and he does fine so I don't see how they all can miss the freakin grip meter :|

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Nottle

I think all they need to is look at controls and read the tutorials. People can talk about learning curve all they want and they can say they go into a game blind because thats how people play games, but I don't find that true at all. People don't just buy games not knowing what they are getting right? People will research a game to know that they'll like what they are paying money for and will usually try to learn the machanics of a game instead of just blurring past some stuff. I just think it's kind of crappy to blame the game for your own ignorance, especially when the game has tried to tell you what to do. It's like if I thought SF2 sucked because I never learned to throw a fireball.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By Dan_CiTi

It depends, when it is stuff like what happened with Shadow of the Colossus, I am not against it.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105  Edited By hockeymask27

Nah would ruin it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@CH3BURASHKA said:

First things first: a Quick Look is meant to show off a game to people, with the intent to educate them on whether or not they want to buy the game or not. That assumes that the game is played competently. And herein lies the problem. Lately there's been a significant decrease in QL quality in terms of informative gameplay and accurate discussion of the game at hand. I believe I speak for most of the GB community when I say, please do your research - at the very least, play through the section you plan on showing off.

PS For an example of how QL's should be made, watch some of the Kessler-directed QLs. Love him or hate him, he definitely did the games he showed off justice. Despite the fact that one was a mediocre JRPG and the other was a complex map-making dungeon crawler, he clearly did his research and understood the underlying mechanics before showing them.

You don't speak for the community that's a ridiculous statement, and regarding quick-looks they're quick-looks not reviews, why do so many people not grasp this?

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#107  Edited By nohthink

I agree.

wfolse1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By wfolse1

I agree totally with the OP. It always surprises me that I know a lot more about games than these guys sometimes do, despite the fact that I have a 40+ hour a week job that DOESN'T INVOLVE KNOWING ABOUT AND WRITING ABOUT VIDEOGAMES.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By canucks23

Eh... That's what the reviews are for.

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By xdaknightx69

@ZeForgotten said:

"Quick Look" never, to me, meant that they know absolutely everything about the game they're "Quick Looking". I always saw them as a "here's our first look at what this game is so join us as we try this out for the first time too"

Elusionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#111  Edited By Elusionar

It’s frustrating when they get the facts wrong, but still entertaining for the most part.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#112  Edited By crusader8463

It's really annoying watching a QL and hearing the guys fumble around or state made up things as fact. Wish they would take some time to research the games before a QL if they are going into a game they don't know anything about.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By prestonhedges

@ModerateViolence said:

@CH3BURASHKA said:

First things first: a Quick Look is meant to show off a game to people, with the intent to educate them on whether or not they want to buy the game or not. That assumes that the game is played competently. And herein lies the problem. Lately there's been a significant decrease in QL quality in terms of informative gameplay and accurate discussion of the game at hand. I believe I speak for most of the GB community when I say, please do your research - at the very least, play through the section you plan on showing off.

PS For an example of how QL's should be made, watch some of the Kessler-directed QLs. Love him or hate him, he definitely did the games he showed off justice. Despite the fact that one was a mediocre JRPG and the other was a complex map-making dungeon crawler, he clearly did his research and understood the underlying mechanics before showing them.

You don't speak for the community that's a ridiculous statement, and regarding quick-looks they're quick-looks not reviews, why do so many people not grasp this?

Anger over someone "not grasping something" is kind of the crux of the argument...

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gladspooky said:

@ModerateViolence said:

@CH3BURASHKA said:

Anger over someone "not grasping something" is kind of the crux of the argument...

I see what you did there.

GeneralDAS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#115  Edited By GeneralDAS

I don't mind the lack of research if they don't say things that they really aren't sure of in an "authoritative" manner. This sometimes wrongly disparages the material. I remember Jeff was playing Killzone 3 multiplayer and he makes an annoyed comment that he captured a point after the round was over. In actually, he had captured a respawn point as part of his class that wasn't at all part of the objectives.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#116  Edited By OllyOxenFree

This thread sucks.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By SteamPunkJin

I've found that to be a problem with some of the reviews as well, if you're playing the game while ignoring basic and downright essential mechanics you're not really playing the game.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By UnrealDP

I couldn't agree less with anything you just wrote, but i do love me some kessler. I do like informational quick looks and i think the crew does a great job!

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#119  Edited By Lazyaza

They aren't really there for buying advice, that's what reviews are for. That said some times when a game looks very fun in a QL (such as Renegade Ops and Hard Reset) I do buy them but its very rare.

I agree that it can be frustrating to see a game being played so badly but it's also quite funny usually and I watch the QL's for entertainment more so than anything else like most people I would hope.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#120  Edited By Pop

Someone probably already said it but I'm gonna say it too, quick looks aren't reviews! A quick look is a first impression video you shouldn't judge a game from a quick look.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@Aishan: I don't think I missed the point of your post.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By CL60

I just hate how they constantly make stuff up. They clearly don't know, so they just lie rather than say they don't know.(Brad does this A LOT). And I also dislike how they get confused at the most obvious things.(Mainly Ryan because he refuses to actually read anything.) Example being in the Clash of the Titans QL, he was at one spot for like 15 minutes and couldn't figure out what to do and was complaining that it's the games fault(The games bad, not defending it.) When it was telling him what he had to do with a pop up that came up every 10 seconds.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#123  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Lazyaza said:

They aren't really there for buying advice, that's what reviews are for.

You do realize that many people do use them as buying advice, right? And if they're not for buying advice, what are they for?
kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By kishinfoulux

I get the idea behind Quick Looks and I love them but it's just amazing how the guys don't pick up on the simplest things.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By SlightConfuse

id at least like them to know the controls if anything

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#126  Edited By damswedon
I believe I speak for most of the GB community

Nope.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#127  Edited By ch3burashka

Holy crap, so many people are assuming I (and others) confuse QL's with reviews. They are two distinct products. A review is a very deliberate reflection upon the game, and the QL is much more off-the-cuff. However, that doesn't excuse poor playing and blatant misleading that sometimes takes place during QLs.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Dany

What the OP is asking is not crazy. I want to know about a game, I expect the quick look to tell me about the game is a reasonably informative fashion.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By amomjc

@CH3BURASHKA said:

Okay, okay, we get it, people want the crew to "learn more about the game" before they decide to record it. We've heard it a thousand times now. I don't want them to go into the video knowing everything because then it becomes just another review that's worded differently. I love the moments when "holy shit!" sequences pop up and the crew gets all fussy, its fun. If they always knew what was coming, how it worked, then it wouldn't feel as human as it is now.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Dany

@csoup: They should just play the game for a certain time where the mechanics and structure of the game is fairly understood. Yeah, doing quick looks on games of 'lesser quality' lend themselves in going in fresh.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Gabriel

@Video_Game_King said:

@Lazyaza said:

They aren't really there for buying advice, that's what reviews are for.

You do realize that many people do use them as buying advice, right? And if they're not for buying advice, what are they for?

For you to do an second take and go read proper reviews on the game.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#132  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Gabriel

How foolish of me. Why didn't I think to look up a couple of reviews on Hollywood Squares or that Jerry Nitus game?
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#133  Edited By Hailinel

@csoup said:

@CH3BURASHKA said:

Okay, okay, we get it, people want the crew to "learn more about the game" before they decide to record it. We've heard it a thousand times now. I don't want them to go into the video knowing everything because then it becomes just another review that's worded differently. I love the moments when "holy shit!" sequences pop up and the crew gets all fussy, its fun. If they always knew what was coming, how it worked, then it wouldn't feel as human as it is now.

But it would certainly feel more competent.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly dont mind even when I have no clue how the game works.  Sometimes it bothers me when they say something wrong but I usually dont care

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Gabriel

@Video_Game_King said:

@Gabriel: How foolish of me. Why didn't I think to look up a couple of reviews on Hollywood Squares or that Jerry Nitus game?

IGN does reviews those My Notebook game,s they probably made someone do Hollywood Squares if that's what you want.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Getz

So basically you want them to try and sell you the game, rather than give an honest portrayal of what it's like? Unless you live in a vacuum where Giantbomb is the only website that exists, I suggest you use multiple sources to make a decision on which games are good or not.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Klei

As long as Brad doesn't play, or that Ryan doesn't try to destroy his controller which he play with as loud as possible, then the QL is good.
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By ch3burashka

@CL60 said:

I just hate how they constantly make stuff up. They clearly don't know, so they just lie rather than say they don't know.(Brad does this A LOT). And I also dislike how they get confused at the most obvious things.(Mainly Ryan because he refuses to actually read anything.) Example being in the Clash of the Titans QL, he was at one spot for like 15 minutes and couldn't figure out what to do and was complaining that it's the games fault(The games bad, not defending it.) When it was telling him what he had to do with a pop up that came up every 10 seconds.

I would hesitate to say that they lie. Rather, they take a "fuck if I know" approach and kind of shrug off questions they don't know the answers to. Whichever way you interpret it, it does suck - I've fucked up my share of school presentations in my day, and there's nothing worse than look completely uneducated on your own topic.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#139  Edited By Hizang

@gunslingerNZ said:

It's nice to hear their thoughts as they see things for the first time.

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Juicebox

@CH3BURASHKA: Giantbomb , it's their website you don't make the rules .Get of your high horse.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#141  Edited By OneManX

I dont know, becuase a lot of the games they quicklook most people pretty much know if they are in or out. And most ont he fence games are really bad, but games that might seem a bit janky. For the longest I didnt know what to expect out of Dead Island, but when I saw the quick look(and the TNT through the madness) I got a better idea of what the game is about, yeah tey miss stuff, but it's stuff that when I play I will understand.

I do liek the blind leaps of faith though, they makes for some of the better quicklooks and are the ones that people just dont forget (Rider meet horse, Horse meet rider)

It is SUPER frustrating when they miss stuff that fans already know or just outright write off a game, for me is was the Smackdown 2011 QL, they pretty much just completely written off the game. So I do find that to be a problem. But QLs aren't the perfect system, but writing reviews of every game that comes out isn't the best either... it's just a mixed bag and you hope to get something if not informative, at least entertaining.

Jonnyflash80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Jonnyflash80

I don't agree. It's a Quick Look, not a review. It could be the first time playing the game or they may have played it for several hours prior to the Quick Look. That's the nature of the Quick Look format which is still the best part of Giant Bomb. Don't be so anal retentive.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#143  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Why? If they do something wrong then you'll know how to do it right. They just have to show the gameplay, which they do.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Milkman

The reason Kessler knows the ins and outs of the games that he Quick Looks is because he's only assigned a couple games every month or so. The other guys have much larger array of games to check out so they can't play each of them for 5 hours before doing a Quick Look.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#145  Edited By Dagbiker

Personally, i dont think they need to know the game play "perfectly" or all the ins and outs, but the driver should not be driving if they don't know the controls, AND your going to skip the tutorials. if you are planing to skip the tutorial at the beginning of the game, at the very least KNOW what your skipping. also knowing what platforms its available on and the price point is a good thing.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By imsh_pl

I think they should have a general knowledge of the game and its mechanics, but I don't think they necessarily have to play a level they'd alread played before...

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Gaff

@Milkman said:

The reason Kessler knows the ins and outs of the games that he Quick Looks is because he's only assigned a couple games every month or so. The other guys have much larger array of games to check out so they can't play each of them for 5 hours before doing a Quick Look.

This.

Also, for good measure: if an "incompetently" played Quick Look bothers you because...

• It doesn't do the game justice: You've probably already invested too much - heck, probably already bought the game - to be swayed by a Quick Look, maybe even to the point of accusing the crew of killing off the market for such-and-such game.
  • They're mistreating a classic: Not everyone has time to replay older games, especially when it's your job to keep up with the new releases.
  • It's misinforming the consumer: "It's a website. About video games!" "Video games?" "If you know about roundhouse kicks, type it on the site, it goes right on the site!". If a Quick Look whets someone's appetite, they could look for more info?
Avatar image for relentlessknight
RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@CH3BURASHKA said:

Holy crap, so many people are assuming I (and others) confuse QL's with reviews. They are two distinct products. A review is a very deliberate reflection upon the game, and the QL is much more off-the-cuff. However, that doesn't excuse poor playing and blatant misleading that sometimes takes place during QLs.

well there's no excuse for you to bitch about it in the first place

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#149  Edited By Dagbiker

Some of the best ( and worst ) Ql's are ones where they are going into it cold.

and as i said earlier, it would be ok if they wouldn't skip the tutorials, and then flail around because they didnt know what to do. but they have only done this on a couple of occasions.

DedBeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By DedBeet

@CH3BURASHKA: I completely disagree. For me, a quicklook is showing me what I can expect when I fire up a game and I sure as hell don't do any research before I do that. I prefer the organic approach they're currently taking.