Does no David Hayter deter your MGSV interest?

• 60 results
MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By MakoTitan

Poll Does no David Hayter deter your MGSV interest? (198 votes)

Yes, it's not the same without him and I won't be buying it. 11%
No, I don't care who does the voice as long as its good. 38%
I'm disappointed, but I will give this game a chance. 51%
 • 
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Heavily.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Nah. No MGS4 already did the job.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Not enough to not play it if the game is good.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nah, was really kind of Cheesy as snake in 4, that voice actor can show no emotion. Was fine in MGS1 as a Kurt Russel impersonator but that's about it.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not at all. As I said in the other thread, I always figured it was inevitable, considering MGS4 already started the trend. As Big Boss gets older, they are going to have to change the voice actor if they ever want to remake MG1/MG2(which I figure is the inevitable end game of the BB series someday, as the timeline is getting real close to it). That is, assuming this isn't just a placeholder. Didn't we go through these same shenanigans with MGRising and Quinton Flynn?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@quarters said:

Not at all. As I said in the other thread, I always figured it was inevitable, considering MGS4 already started the trend. As Big Boss gets older, they are going to have to change the voice actor if they ever want to remake MG1/MG2(which I figure is the inevitable end game of the BB series someday, as the timeline is getting real close to it). That is, assuming this isn't just a placeholder. Didn't we go through these same shenanigans with MGRising and Quinton Flynn?

Agreed, they have to make the transition to Richard Doyle's MGS4 Big Boss eventually, whether they pick up Doyle or not is a different story.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By artelinarose

I am extremely disappointed. Heartbroken might be a close enough term but it also feels a little too extreme. I literally grew up with Metal Gear Solid; I got the first one when I was in second grade and it was my only Playstation game for quite a while. I have purchased every MGS since on day one since it's come out. I own every collection they've released. David Hayter IS part of what makes Metal Gear Solid what it is, I grew up with him, and with him not being in this one I just feel... kind of hollow.

I will still buy the game, but I don't think David Hayter not voicing Snake will ever stop being weird to me no matter how much I like it.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

It is not Snake without him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

It's really a bummer but can't not be excited for MGSV.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Strife777

Very disappointed, but I'm obviously still getting that game.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very disappointed, but I'm obviously still getting that game.

To clarify my stance, this.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Milkman

I'm not convinced that he's not in on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just going to post this thing Katsuhiro Harada wrote regarding recasting voice actors. It seems like it might be relevant.

"I have something I want to say to the people who spam me with requests to "switch back(or Bring back) to the voice actors used previously".

I believe that, before whining and complaining about everything, you need practice at taking a step back and analyzing things objectively. And also at being an adult.

First, the voice you were listening to was 16 years ago, during the PlayStation period. The current generation of consoles are totally different in how they play back sound; both software-wise, and the internal circuitry

The playback program is different, as well as the sound effects added; reverb and 5.1 are examples of this. The comrpression rate, as well as the sound rate, is different today. Are you playing games on the same TV you used 16 years ago? What about your speakers? Headphones? They are all the same as 16 years ago? I wonder if it will sound like the same voice as 16 years ago, even with that data..

Also, you are assuming the voice actors themselves can reproduce the voice the recorded 16 years ago? Many voice actors decline work because their voice has changed since the original role, some have even retired. Sometimes they won't accept, even if we ask.

The recording studio and the equipment they use is also different. With all of this in mind, you still thing it is possible to recreate these voices?

Some might say "just pay them to reuse the voice data".

But, often the voice actors decline this, or their agency declines.

For example, Brian's laugh is the actual data from Tekken 3. As fans have requested, we've kept using the original, adapting the data recorded 16 years ago to be used on the PS2, and then PS3.

Even so, some people said it is a different voice in Tekken 6 than the original.

It can't be helped they might think that. As explained above, even though the master data is the same, all of the equipment used in adapting it has completely changed. That said, it isn't a good idea to try to reccreate the older recording environment because then the data sounds heavily compressed, with noise. More than that, it would sound out of place next to the voice data of the newer characters.

WHAT? You say some of the voices sound like they haven't changed at all?

I guess you didn't notice that the development team has re-recorded them, but made efforts for it to sound as close as possible to the original. And you probably didn't even notice.

Do you know that all of the voice work for a character is not always done by just one voice actor? Using Brian as an example, the laugh you guys love so much uses the original data from Tekken 3, but the short kiai voice uses a different voice actor, and the "come on!" voice also uses a different voice actor. A lot of other characters also use different voice actors for the spoken lines and for the shouts.

I did the voice work for Marshal and Forest for 15 years.

However, I can no longer produce that voice after Tekken 5, so we had a different voice actor for Tekken 6.

The Tekken series has continued for 17 years. The development environment, as well as the environment in which you all play games, has changed.

There are so many characters, and we can't keep using he same voice actors every time, for a variety of reasons.

I have even complied to the requests of you all spamming me to "bring back characters" from previous installments. You often say, "let's show the dev team how sincere we are by buying 2 copies if they bring back character X", but did you really go through with it? Expecting you to at least pre-order the game, I was met with more spam, after you apparently didn't notice that Jun and Michelle actually return.

I still have some characters left to be revealed that comply with some of your requests, even "bringing back" several others. Even so, none of them are paid DLC. I will continue to sincerely comply with fan requests.

However, I can't continue to engage the negative ones that, without knowing what you are talking about, or even thinking about what you are saying, blindly repeat "bring back, bring back, bring back..."

After this lengthy explanation, I will be quite surprised if there are still people who still don't get it.

Thanks for understanding or not understanding. Whatever."

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By toowalrus

David Hayter has always been Solid/Naked Snake to me, so... yeah, I'm bummed. It doesn't mean I'm going to skip the next MGS, though. Come on.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By MocBucket62

I'm bummed about no David Hayter, the man is the voice of Snake and Naked Snake. This doesn't mean I'l avoid MGSV by the time it comes out.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

David Hayter has always been Solid/Naked Snake to me, so... yeah, I'm bummed. It doesn't mean I'm going to skip the next MGS, though. Come on.

Yep. Sure, I'm gutted. David Hayter has had a huge presence in the community, having actually played each game and being awesome and shit. But I was hyped for the game when it was announced. My hype has only gone up, seeing Biker Boss with his... uh, demon horn. Of course I'll get the game. I mean this guy sounds like a bad impression of David Hayter, but... well, if that's what it takes.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EuanDewar

HEWIL LBEIN IT

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'm not going to lie: David Hayter not gravelling it up as Snake is kind of a bummer. What the hell is going to happen when the next Smash Bros game comes out?

Loading Video...

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#20  Edited By donutfever

I was bummed, but it's not got influence my decision to try/not try the game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Nah. I figured it would have to happen eventually. And besides that, Big Boss and Solid Snake had different actors in MGS4. Maybe he'll be back if they make another game with Solid Snake.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thank Christ was my reaction.

I don't dislike Hayter and I can stomach his performances in MGS2/3, but man was his voice getting shitty by the time MGS4 came out. It only got miles worse in Peace Walker. I've heard the new voice and I like it. In Peace Walker, Hayter stood out like a sore thumb with his voice. Everyone else sounded more or less human, but there he is with that ridiculous faux-gravel.

TL;DR glad it happened and will play.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SlashDance

It's gonna be weird. I mean yeah if Kojima ends up retelling the events of Metal Gear 1 they have to change the voice of Big Boss, but seeing how MGS5 starts right after the end of Peace Walker, it makes no sense that his voice would change.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By musclerider

I'm playing through 3 for the first time and boy does he sound dumb.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#25  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Hayter's been saying for a while that doing Snake's voice really puts a strain on his throat, and I think it's become increasingly apparent in Snake's most recent vocal appearances. As much as I respect Hayter and all he's done for the series, there comes a point when things must come to an end. I said this in another thread, but I'd rather not see a repeat of the Michael Ironside/Splinter Cell: Conviction voiceover incident.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

itill be weird at the start, but big boss is still a fucking badass character,

and they did change his voice in mgs4,

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By ArtisanBreads

This is crazy.

I love Hayter a lot... but not playing the game because they change it? You're all saying this now, right?

btw, not going to be surprised when E3 rolls around and we finally see him clearly speak and it's Hayter.... "Kept ya waiting, huh?"

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sucks but not at all, I just want me some MGS5

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By probablytuna

David Hayter is like one third of what I associate with the MGS experience (the other two being Kojima's craziness and stealth). Without him it just doesn't feel the same.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I chose yes, but I'll still give it a chance. He basically is Snake so I really can't imagine another voice actor taking up the role.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, what?

I'm scared to view any of the trailers now. Someone else is doing the voice? This does not bode well...

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BlatantNinja23

he's just a voice actor... don't really care. Also his voice kinda sucked anyways

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hippie_genocide

Not in the slightest. Nothing against the guy, he was good in the role, but I feel that most any male voice actor doing "grizzled war vet" could fill his shoes nicely. I don't feel have as pissed about this as I did when they replaced Mei Ling in Twin Snakes.

"Metal Gear?!?!?!" I mean, c'mon guy.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By musubi

No not really I pretty much have to keep playing them at this point. This also gives me my first real reason for a PS4 as well. As others have said they did change his voice for MGS 4 so I would be sort of okay with him getting a new voice actor but that new voice actor still needs to be sort of gruff sounding. I mean at this point Big Boss is getting old and were marching ever closer to the 80's which is when Metal Gear 1 took place.

I really hope this sets up Big Boss' sort of heel turn. So far every game featuring Big Boss has still had him come off as a hero. There had to be a breaking point where he actually changes or at least I'd figure and I'd think MGSV is the place to show that.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

lessen? yes.

deter? no.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

No, it's cool.

rotorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rotorious

I was honestly more disappointed at the thought of him not being in the Metal Gear movie....doubly so after getting a glimpse of his live acting chops in MGS4.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's an entertaining voice, but by the end of MGS3 I was kind of over it.

So I guess my answer is no.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I can't play a new game in one of the most prestigious franchises of all time because the man doesn't sound the same anymore.

Oh no wait that's retarded.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#40  Edited By Hector

I'm fine. I'm sure Kojima knows what he's doing and who is hiring will do an excellent job as voicing Big Boss.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By stonyman65

I think it kind of sucks just because he was always such a huge part of the series. When you hear David Hayter's voice (out of context) you don't go "oh, that's David Hayter!", I suspect most Metal Gear fans go "oh, that's Snake!". It's one of those things where he is so intertwined with that character that you kind of can't imagine it without him. It's kind of like someone other than Kurt Russell playing Snake Plissken or someone other than Arnold Schwarzenegger playing The Terminator... It just doesn't work. I could understand if they did this a few games ago when the series was fairly new, but at this point he has been voicing the character for like 15 years now.

And to add to it, if his twitter account is any indication, he seems really bummed out about it too. Apparently they didn't even say anything to him about it and he just found out the same time we did. That's kind of a shitty thing to do considering the history he's had with the series and all.

But with all that being said, it's still Kojima we're talking about here. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this was all just a huge MGS2 style "fuck you!" type thing were he's just fucking with us and David Hayter is the voice of Big Boss all along or shows up at some point. I wouldn't put that past Kojima for one second (remember, we're talking about the guy who specifically altered game footage just to fool everyone before the game's release at one point)

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, I don't care. His voice was pretty cheesy, I like the new angle they're going for here.

SnakeLinkSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SnakeLinkSonic

Assuming this isn't another part of the ruse (i.e. Hayter not voicing Big Boss because this becomes his descent into villainhood and Solid Snake surfacing in his early adult years), then no I'm not really deterred.

Having his voice attached is mere novelty to me at this point. As much as I associate the gravel with the character, it's not something I can't separate from the experience if it becomes necessary for the game.

Note: I'm not convinced Hayter is out and I won't be until I finish the game not having heard him in it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

It's a bummer for sure, 100%. Lifelong fan of MGS though, and I have no doubt the game won't be any worse due to his absence.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It seems like there's a few David " Haters " in this forum. Hah.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

It seems like there's a few David " Haters " in this forum. Hah.

Well played.

Yeah, it's strange not to have him because he's been with the series for so long. I hope he'll be back eventually, though.

kkotd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kkotd

Depending on how it all went down, which some of the conspiracy theorists (mainly the same guys who have been riding this wild ARG-like marketing campaign) are thinking that he's totally in the game... But it's gonna be some sort of Shamallamallama twist. I mean come on, we all know Kojima wants to go balls-out again and make something completely insane, hell, he came on stage to a professional conference wrapped up like a mummy, so... while I'm holding my excitement back, part of me is hoping this whole 'David Hayter is being left out of the project' announcement is a total hoax. Otherwise, if they seriously didn't ask him at all, to do anything... That's complete and utter bullshit to pull on your dedicated and loved voice actor who has been on this wild and crazy ride with you the entire way down. On one hand, I think this could turn out awesomely, on the other, I think 4 may have been the last MGS game alot of people will have played. I'm sure 5 will still be insanely fun, but alot of people will be pissed if he's not in it or even worst... is replaced. Who knows... Maybe Hayter himself is the 'phantom pain' all the fans will be feeling when they play this game.

A quick edit: Yes, I'm completely aware that we don't know the whole story, maybe Hayter and Kojima had a falling out. Maybe Hayter / Snake prank called him one too many times. Maybe we're all under the control of the system.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sooty

Haven't cared about Metal Gear since 3 anyway.

4 wasn't that good.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By MooseyMcMan

So long as the voice acting is good, I don't mind. And Boss is getting older, and it only makes sense given the precedents (Solidus Snake, and Big Boss in MGS4) that his voice would eventually change.

Plus, if young Solid Snake shows up in the game, it'd sure be weird to have David Hayter talking to himself.

Hey, it could happen. This is MGS we're talking about. Kojima did straight up lie in trailers for MGS2 about who you played as in certain parts of the game. This could all be a ploy. And normally I'd be skeptical of saying things like that, but again, this is MGS. There's precedent for crazy stuff like this.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#50  Edited By Svenzon

Not really. I'm not super-interested in MGSV to begin with, so no David Hayter doesn't exactly make or break it for me.