Dragoons and giant mechs: not as awesome as you'd think.

• 64 results
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Edited By Video_Game_King

No Caption Provided

The Legend of Dragoon

( I think I'm gonna have to fire my top scientists.) No, this isn't over their failure to invent vomit bombs, the closest thing to weaponized puke, but the once-golden Dragoon Law. Long ago, somebody figured out that any game with the word Dragoon in the title was automatically awesome. I should've known something was up when I came across Alisia Dragoon, but I let it slide because the music was de-no, wait, that was Dynamite Headdy. Fuck Alisia Dragoon. But I still believed in the power of the Dragoon Law, until I came across The Legend of Dragoon. That's not calling the game crap, it's just calling it not-awesome.

Also, the Winglies were pretty big on abortions.
As proof, I present the fact that this game has in it creatures called Winglies. Oddly enough, they're fucking awesome, as they're humans with magic jetpacks for shoulder blades. Realizing how much they rock, the Winglies conquer the Earth 11,000 years (I guess 1,000 and 10,000 were too cliche on their own) before the start of the game, and lose it in the Dragon Campaign, exactly that many number of years, too. What does any of this have to do with the story? Shut up, you have to go rescue the princess from the evil emperor! And then there are three more discs. Not that they're necessary; like other games before it ( FF8, Phantom Brave, Okami, etc.), Legend of Dragoon has no reason to continue past the first disc, which probably explains why the second disc has no plot whatsoever. Fortunately, the people behind the game remembered that they were making an RPG in time to put a decent plot into the third and fourth discs. Granted, it has plot twists so predictable that waves of psychic energy told me that Rose was the Black Monster (apparently Japanese for Oozing Dragon Slut) before I even played the game, and quite a bit of the plot rips off Final Fantasy VII, but whatever, I still enjoyed the plot.

Or, more accurately, I enjoyed the characters. Unlike those games I listed earlier ( FF8, Phantom Brave, Okami, etc.), the characters in this game are really well written, featuring a perfect balance of flaws, motivation, and backstory. Hell, even in the moments when the game did nothing to move the plot forward, I was still satisfied due to the decent amount of character development. Imagine my surprise when the villains not only showed up in the fourth disc, but they were presented in a morally ambiguous light! Now you'd expect a game like this to make it easy to switch characters whenever you want, but you'll be saddened to find that that's exactly what it does. Characters level up outside battle, and aside from a few addition/dragoon level problems, you can switch them out without consequence, even late in the game, when you're forced to do so. Unless it's Shana, in which case, you'll never switch her out because she's shit, something the game recognizes by making her unplayable for a good portion of the game. She has no additions, meaning her attack is fucked. Healing is the only reason to have her, and even then, Meru does that job well WITH additions.

Damn it, I thought I was done with this type of crap after Phantom Brave!
Oh, I forgot to explain what additions are. Imagine if Paper Mario had drunk, sloppy sex with Vagrant Story. Actually, don't, as that's a horrifying thought. Now I have to explain the whole concept. Instead of simply watching your character jam a sword up somebody's ass, you press the X button with precise (and for some of these, I really mean precise) timing to make sure you get extra damage. And do things with the sword while it's lodged in their rectum, maybe. That brings up a problem I have with the addition system: it's fine when taken at face value, but if you actually want to see these awesome attacks, you're gonna have a hard time doing that. The reticule for lining up your button presses is right in the middle of the screen, meaning you'll be focusing on that giant shrinking/rotating square instead of the kickass attacks. Yet that's not even my biggest complaint with the system. No, that goes to the circle button. Every so often, you'll have to press circle instead of X. Fail, and the force of your own stupidity will slam you straight in the face, sometimes for more damage than you could ever do. Succeed, and you see the that force of stupidity blast at the enemy, yet somehow manage to do no extra damage. If anything, it does less damage, since it can fuck up your timing so much that you sometimes need to press X immediately after the stupid waves hit your enemies.

In fact, a lot of stuff about the battle system (OK, the game, but shut up, I still have a major point I need to address) summons the thought, "competent, but why?". The namesake battle feature, turning into dragoons, comes to mind as soon as I summon the previous thought. I don't know if you guys know this ( you should), but I don't like when games limit the magic in ways that aren't MP costs. Usually, this means that you do all your healing through items (in this case, some through guarding), which ends up destroying a bunch of other things. Here, you can only use magic while dragoon'd up, which sucks for those times when you're not a dragoon, like when you're not battling anybody. Speaking of limits, in dragoon mode, you can only attack or use kickass magic. That's it. No guarding, no using items, hell, you can't even transform out of dragoon mode. I appreciate the creativity, guys, but I'd like the limits removed, which is an odd choice of words, given that they're one of the few things you didn't rip straight from Final Fantasy VII. Instead of limit breaks, we have specials, which are like regular dragoon mode, but one character gets better attacks and everybody gets transported into a drugged out Earthbound world

Magical penis joke.
 Magical penis joke.
Somehow, this world of pure energy kicks the crap out of the actual game world, which, like Final Fantasy Tactics, consists of a bunch of key areas linked together by curvy lines. However, unlike Final Fantasy Tactics, you can't just skip over areas you've already explored. Dick move, Sony. Even late in the game, when you get the ability to fly around the map, you can only warp to towns, some of which require you to switch discs to enter. Who thought this was a good idea, and why aren't they dead? I'd label it all as artificial lengthening, but given that there aren't that many sidequests and the game is a decent 30 hours, "lengthening" is not the first word that comes to mind. "Hamburger" is the first word. Don't ask why. Anyway, most of the material I have left aligns oddly well: not only is it all about the parts I generally liked about the game, but by some weird coincidence, they're all about the cinematics behind this game.

Simply put, they're awesome. If I had to make a very stupid analogy, it'd be this: the PS1 is a pair of spandex pants, and The Legend of Dragoon is really fat. *red force field shoves me back* OK, fine! Like Final Fantasy VI, several key battles end with in-game cutscenes whose only improvement could be the introduction of voice acting. Of course, you'll only see the voice acting in the CGI scenes, which are either perfectly normal or Christian Bale talking over Egyptian murals (or something like that). Unfortunately, the compliments I can direct toward these CGI scenes, like how the lighting is amazing or how the cinematics are cool, can also be directed toward the non-CGI ones I mentioned a couple of lines ago, whereas the complaints are all CGI. Namely, the voice acting I wanted sucks. It reaches its worst point in the ending, where it sounds like they barely put any effort into it. In that sense, well....you know....eh, fuck it.

Review Synopsis

• Remember how I complained about the pacing of Silent Hill 2 last blog? Well, this is worse.
  • The battle system is all kinds of fucked up, yet somehow still acceptable, leading me to give it the Sex Robot Award, for THAT SCENE IN DATE NIGHT.
  • Decent music and graphics, though.

Yay, I feel like this is Tosh.0!

Final Zone

( Great, another one of those blogs.) You know, one of those blogs where I jump from game to game because none of them are beatable. First came Target Earth, a game which confuses me, like how I don't know why I was playing it. ( Jeff doesn't count.) I found to be a near-unbeatable, broken piece of shit, so I moved onto something that's exactly the same: Ninja Commando. However, my computer, perhaps concerned about my well-being, refused to play this Neo Geo game. Or any Neo Geo games. Finally, we come to Final Zone, because everything is ruled by the Rule of Threes.

An unsurprisingly easy boss.
I could probably spend more of this paragraph explaining the Rule of Threes than on the actual story, because there is none. I assume most of the story was saved for the second game, and most of that story was spent explaining why the box art sucks. This leaves me in an awkward position, as I've demonstrated above how much I rely on story in these things. Might as well get into the gameplay. It's isometric, yet doesn't feature crap controls, at least in terms of navigating this isometric world. Maybe it's because the Genesis controller was equipped with easy diagonals, but my mech was pretty eager to follow orders and go where I wanted him to go. Too eager, perhaps, as he always activated his turbo slide at the worst times, demoting my main strategy to "spray bullets in circles and hope they're smart enough to kill something." Another reason to do this: the enemies LOVE circle strafing, mainly because you have about as much freedom to rotate as a Tetri-

OK, I'm getting ahead of myself, given that I haven't even explained how you play the game yet. Non-boss levels task you with beating up a certain number of enemies before everything explodes. The introduction shows the numbers of each specific type of enemy in the level, which is weird, because all you have throughout the level is a huge lump sum in the upper left corner. But really, that's nitpicking, because solely on these merits (code phrase for "shit's going to hit the fan faster than you can launch it"), this part of the game works rather well. The maps are small and repeat, and you stumble into enemies enough that you won't find yourself spending hours on end trying to find the last enemy. If I ended the blog here, it'd be one paragraph too short, but I'd also have given this game a much higher score than I did.

But alas, this is a fourth paragraph, meaning the game nosedives into a pool of crap. Much like Target Earth almost immediately before it, Final Zone is a Sega Genesis mech game that makes it far too easy to die. The major problem is that health doesn't refill between levels, and I think that's because health is bundled with special weapons, for some reason. Not that you'd know, given that you select them through a pause screen you won't use often. It's a domino effect of retarded, and it all ends with me dying so many times that my playthroughs began resembling this. That probably explains why all the once-unique levels eventually reached Groundhog Day levels of repetition. Damn it, this game had so much potential to be good, and yet they couldn't iron out this one game-killing flaw. I'm forced to give it the M. Night Shyamalan Award. Guess why.

Review Synopsis

• Simple gameplay that should be really fun...
  • ...is destroyed by control issues and design flaws.
  • Bosses are pretty cool, though.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Video_Game_King

No Caption Provided

The Legend of Dragoon

( I think I'm gonna have to fire my top scientists.) No, this isn't over their failure to invent vomit bombs, the closest thing to weaponized puke, but the once-golden Dragoon Law. Long ago, somebody figured out that any game with the word Dragoon in the title was automatically awesome. I should've known something was up when I came across Alisia Dragoon, but I let it slide because the music was de-no, wait, that was Dynamite Headdy. Fuck Alisia Dragoon. But I still believed in the power of the Dragoon Law, until I came across The Legend of Dragoon. That's not calling the game crap, it's just calling it not-awesome.

As proof, I present the fact that this game has in it creatures called Winglies. Oddly enough, they're fucking awesome, as they're humans with magic jetpacks for shoulder blades. Realizing how much they rock, the Winglies conquer the Earth 11,000 years (I guess 1,000 and 10,000 were too cliche on their own) before the start of the game, and lose it in the Dragon Campaign, exactly that many number of years, too. What does any of this have to do with the story? Shut up, you have to go rescue the princess from the evil emperor! And then there are three more discs. Not that they're necessary; like other games before it ( FF8, Phantom Brave, Okami, etc.), Legend of Dragoon has no reason to continue past the first disc, which probably explains why the second disc has no plot whatsoever. Fortunately, the people behind the game remembered that they were making an RPG in time to put a decent plot into the third and fourth discs. Granted, it has plot twists so predictable that waves of psychic energy told me that Rose was the Black Monster (apparently Japanese for Oozing Dragon Slut) before I even played the game, and quite a bit of the plot rips off Final Fantasy VII, but whatever, I still enjoyed the plot.

Or, more accurately, I enjoyed the characters. Unlike those games I listed earlier ( FF8, Phantom Brave, Okami, etc.), the characters in this game are really well written, featuring a perfect balance of flaws, motivation, and backstory. Hell, even in the moments when the game did nothing to move the plot forward, I was still satisfied due to the decent amount of character development. Imagine my surprise when the villains not only showed up in the fourth disc, but they were presented in a morally ambiguous light! Now you'd expect a game like this to make it easy to switch characters whenever you want, but you'll be saddened to find that that's exactly what it does. Characters level up outside battle, and aside from a few addition/dragoon level problems, you can switch them out without consequence, even late in the game, when you're forced to do so. Unless it's Shana, in which case, you'll never switch her out because she's shit, something the game recognizes by making her unplayable for a good portion of the game. She has no additions, meaning her attack is fucked. Healing is the only reason to have her, and even then, Meru does that job well WITH additions.

Oh, I forgot to explain what additions are. Imagine if Paper Mario had drunk, sloppy sex with Vagrant Story. Actually, don't, as that's a horrifying thought. Now I have to explain the whole concept. Instead of simply watching your character jam a sword up somebody's ass, you press the X button with precise (and for some of these, I really mean precise) timing to make sure you get extra damage. And do things with the sword while it's lodged in their rectum, maybe. That brings up a problem I have with the addition system: it's fine when taken at face value, but if you actually want to see these awesome attacks, you're gonna have a hard time doing that. The reticule for lining up your button presses is right in the middle of the screen, meaning you'll be focusing on that giant shrinking/rotating square instead of the kickass attacks. Yet that's not even my biggest complaint with the system. No, that goes to the circle button. Every so often, you'll have to press circle instead of X. Fail, and the force of your own stupidity will slam you straight in the face, sometimes for more damage than you could ever do. Succeed, and you see the that force of stupidity blast at the enemy, yet somehow manage to do no extra damage. If anything, it does less damage, since it can fuck up your timing so much that you sometimes need to press X immediately after the stupid waves hit your enemies.

In fact, a lot of stuff about the battle system (OK, the game, but shut up, I still have a major point I need to address) summons the thought, "competent, but why?". The namesake battle feature, turning into dragoons, comes to mind as soon as I summon the previous thought. I don't know if you guys know this ( you should), but I don't like when games limit the magic in ways that aren't MP costs. Usually, this means that you do all your healing through items (in this case, some through guarding), which ends up destroying a bunch of other things. Here, you can only use magic while dragoon'd up, which sucks for those times when you're not a dragoon, like when you're not battling anybody. Speaking of limits, in dragoon mode, you can only attack or use kickass magic. That's it. No guarding, no using items, hell, you can't even transform out of dragoon mode. I appreciate the creativity, guys, but I'd like the limits removed, which is an odd choice of words, given that they're one of the few things you didn't rip straight from Final Fantasy VII. Instead of limit breaks, we have specials, which are like regular dragoon mode, but one character gets better attacks and everybody gets transported into a drugged out Earthbound world

Magical penis joke.
 Magical penis joke.
Somehow, this world of pure energy kicks the crap out of the actual game world, which, like Final Fantasy Tactics, consists of a bunch of key areas linked together by curvy lines. However, unlike Final Fantasy Tactics, you can't just skip over areas you've already explored. Dick move, Sony. Even late in the game, when you get the ability to fly around the map, you can only warp to towns, some of which require you to switch discs to enter. Who thought this was a good idea, and why aren't they dead? I'd label it all as artificial lengthening, but given that there aren't that many sidequests and the game is a decent 30 hours, "lengthening" is not the first word that comes to mind. "Hamburger" is the first word. Don't ask why. Anyway, most of the material I have left aligns oddly well: not only is it all about the parts I generally liked about the game, but by some weird coincidence, they're all about the cinematics behind this game.

Simply put, they're awesome. If I had to make a very stupid analogy, it'd be this: the PS1 is a pair of spandex pants, and The Legend of Dragoon is really fat. *red force field shoves me back* OK, fine! Like Final Fantasy VI, several key battles end with in-game cutscenes whose only improvement could be the introduction of voice acting. Of course, you'll only see the voice acting in the CGI scenes, which are either perfectly normal or Christian Bale talking over Egyptian murals (or something like that). Unfortunately, the compliments I can direct toward these CGI scenes, like how the lighting is amazing or how the cinematics are cool, can also be directed toward the non-CGI ones I mentioned a couple of lines ago, whereas the complaints are all CGI. Namely, the voice acting I wanted sucks. It reaches its worst point in the ending, where it sounds like they barely put any effort into it. In that sense, well....you know....eh, fuck it.

Review Synopsis

• Remember how I complained about the pacing of Silent Hill 2 last blog? Well, this is worse.
  • The battle system is all kinds of fucked up, yet somehow still acceptable, leading me to give it the Sex Robot Award, for THAT SCENE IN DATE NIGHT.
  • Decent music and graphics, though.

Yay, I feel like this is Tosh.0!

Final Zone

( Great, another one of those blogs.) You know, one of those blogs where I jump from game to game because none of them are beatable. First came Target Earth, a game which confuses me, like how I don't know why I was playing it. ( Jeff doesn't count.) I found to be a near-unbeatable, broken piece of shit, so I moved onto something that's exactly the same: Ninja Commando. However, my computer, perhaps concerned about my well-being, refused to play this Neo Geo game. Or any Neo Geo games. Finally, we come to Final Zone, because everything is ruled by the Rule of Threes.

I could probably spend more of this paragraph explaining the Rule of Threes than on the actual story, because there is none. I assume most of the story was saved for the second game, and most of that story was spent explaining why the box art sucks. This leaves me in an awkward position, as I've demonstrated above how much I rely on story in these things. Might as well get into the gameplay. It's isometric, yet doesn't feature crap controls, at least in terms of navigating this isometric world. Maybe it's because the Genesis controller was equipped with easy diagonals, but my mech was pretty eager to follow orders and go where I wanted him to go. Too eager, perhaps, as he always activated his turbo slide at the worst times, demoting my main strategy to "spray bullets in circles and hope they're smart enough to kill something." Another reason to do this: the enemies LOVE circle strafing, mainly because you have about as much freedom to rotate as a Tetri-

OK, I'm getting ahead of myself, given that I haven't even explained how you play the game yet. Non-boss levels task you with beating up a certain number of enemies before everything explodes. The introduction shows the numbers of each specific type of enemy in the level, which is weird, because all you have throughout the level is a huge lump sum in the upper left corner. But really, that's nitpicking, because solely on these merits (code phrase for "shit's going to hit the fan faster than you can launch it"), this part of the game works rather well. The maps are small and repeat, and you stumble into enemies enough that you won't find yourself spending hours on end trying to find the last enemy. If I ended the blog here, it'd be one paragraph too short, but I'd also have given this game a much higher score than I did.

But alas, this is a fourth paragraph, meaning the game nosedives into a pool of crap. Much like Target Earth almost immediately before it, Final Zone is a Sega Genesis mech game that makes it far too easy to die. The major problem is that health doesn't refill between levels, and I think that's because health is bundled with special weapons, for some reason. Not that you'd know, given that you select them through a pause screen you won't use often. It's a domino effect of retarded, and it all ends with me dying so many times that my playthroughs began resembling this. That probably explains why all the once-unique levels eventually reached Groundhog Day levels of repetition. Damn it, this game had so much potential to be good, and yet they couldn't iron out this one game-killing flaw. I'm forced to give it the M. Night Shyamalan Award. Guess why.

Review Synopsis

• Simple gameplay that should be really fun...
  • ...is destroyed by control issues and design flaws.
  • Bosses are pretty cool, though.
FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By FirePrince

I still have no ideea what a Dragoon is.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King
@FirePrince: 

They're basically humans in magical, flying dragon armor. In order to combat Wingly badass, they went with something badass in both name and execution.
DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

I played the living hell out of Final Zone back in the day, and you may be the first person I have come across that played it as well. 

Equip the Vulcan cannon in primary, and keep moving near the edge of the screen, and the thing never stops firing.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FirePrince
@Video_Game_King:  
As awesome as that sounds,no.I'm the human,and I have my own damn dragon.And Winglies scare me: 
"humans with magic jetpacks for shoulder blades "-Oh Christ,we're fucked.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King
@FirePrince: 

No, you have to kill the dragon to become a dragoon. It's sort of like that scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (you know which one), except at the end, the guy pulling the heart out becomes a dragoon.

@DrDarkStryfe:

Wait, you can equip weapons as primary? I only saw one. Ever.
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Video_Game_King said:
" @FirePrince: 

No, you have to kill the dragon to become a dragoon. It's sort of like that scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (you know which one), except at the end, the guy pulling the heart out becomes a dragoon.

@DrDarkStryfe:  Wait, you can equip weapons as primary? I only saw one. Ever. "
You just need that shiny stone to use the dragoon powers. Which of course the main guy has had in his family forever. 

I loved the game. And loved the sexual move set of Rose. 
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By trophyhunter

hey legend of dragoon was a great game.
I loved it.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Jeust

Good article! I was thinking of giving The Legend of Dragoon a spin. Maybe i'll go for suikoden. Have you played it?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King
@The_Laughing_Man: 

The main guy? No, he didn't. He only gets it when he fights a giant.

@Jeust:

No, and all I know about it is that it's based on a Chinese novel with, like, 108 characters. Apparently, the Chinese love having a cast of characters so large that they could fuel some type of high school movie :P.
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Video_Game_King said:

" @The_Laughing_Man: 

@Jeust:  No, and all I know about it is that it's based on a Chinese novel with, like, 108 characters. Apparently, the Chinese love having a cast of characters so large that they could fuel some type of high school movie :P. "

I recall the guy in the red armor having it as a family heir loom. 
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
@The_Laughing_Man: 

I think that was Albert and the Moon Dagger; Dart doesn't even know what the hell a Dragoon is until Rose decides to babysit him.
DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

Yeah, every weapon can be eqipped as a primary, or a secondary.  The secondary use is what drained the health of your mech.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King
@DrDarkStryfe: 

Wait, that shit was health? I thought it was just ammo.
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Shadow

Dragoon was the coolest boss in Megaman X4.  The RPG though, was excessively average (irony)

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Shadow: 

Yea, Magma Dragoon's music was cool, but what RPG? Legend of Dragoon or that Mega Man X one on the GameCube? How's that ironic? I MUST KNOW!!!!!!
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Legend of Dragoon was always way overrated. It didn't get a whole lot of notoriety, but even that little bit was more than it deserved. I've got the demo of this game somewhere. Actually, I think it's just the first disc of the game.

Speaking of four disc games, I totally just bought the second Fear Effect. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ZanzibarBreeze: 

Speaking of Fear Effect, the first one is on my Dartboard of Game Decisions. It's filed under the survival horror section. Other games include Granstream Saga and Advance Wars.
Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 37

#19  Edited By Jazz
@FirePrince:  
Actually it refers to mounted Cavalry, or in some cases light infantry in reality. 
They just use it in JRPGS to refer to knights who want to be knarly dragons...or something. 
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Video_Game_King said:

" @ZanzibarBreeze:   Speaking of Fear Effect, the first one is on my Dartboard of Game Decisions. It's filed under the survival horror section. Other games include Granstream Saga and Advance Wars. "

Hmmm. That's interesting. I don't know if I'd call it survival horror. I see that it's classified as such everywhere, but I think that's mostly because it's got a very similar control scheme to Resident Evil. I know people definitely call the second one survival horror, perhaps more so than the first, but you start the game with three different firearms -- assault rifle, handguns, submachine gun -- all with maximum ammunition. That's definitely not survival horror. I've never played The Granstream Saga, though it seems like a random game for THQ to publish.

And I think we all wholeheartedly applaud Advance Wars. Haven't played the two DS games.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Jazz: 

Yea, but we all know that Dragoons work better as knights who can jump and betray people more than their namesake.

@ZanzibarBreeze:

Yea, but people somehow manage to call Resident Evil 3 a survival horror game. IT ISN'T.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
@Video_Game_King: Well, you know. One of these images is scarier than the other. I'll let the viewers decide. But I will say this: Fear Effect 2 is "freakin' filthy beyond belief".
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ZanzibarBreeze: 

Zombies aren't scary when you have enough ammo to stage an NRA-sponsored World War II reenactment. Also, thirteen climaxes? Shit, did she just shove a vibrator up there and go about her business?
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#24  Edited By Hailinel
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Jazz: 

Yea, but we all know that Dragoons work better as knights who can jump and betray people more than their namesake.

@ZanzibarBreeze:  Yea, but people somehow manage to call Resident Evil 3 a survival horror game. IT ISN'T. "
How is RE3 not?  You spend the entire freaking game running like hell from Nemesis.  It's like a Clock Tower game with guns, in some respects.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Video_Game_King said:

" @ZanzibarBreeze:   Zombies aren't scary when you have enough ammo to stage an NRA-sponsored World War II reenactment. Also, thirteen climaxes? Shit, did she just shove a vibrator up there and go about her business? "

I think it also had to do with the fact that Resident Evil 3 controlled much better than the first two. The idea of the Nemesis chasing the player throughout the game was interesting, though. EDIT: But, yes. Limited ammo is essentially what survival horror is. Like Alone in the Dark. "I have three bullets". That was basically the entire game.

In terms of Fear Effect 2: not even Giant Bomb's spoiler tags can cover the amazing stuff that goes down in those horrifically polygonal FMV sequences.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Hailinel: 

OK, to be fair, I'm not that far in the game (just the beginning, actually), but from what I've played, it's hard to call it survival horror. Again, zombies die so fast that they're probably already dead, and the game starts you off with a fuckton of ammo and weapons. Also, haven't played Clock Tower, which explains why it's on the dartboard.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Hailinel:   OK, to be fair, I'm not that far in the game (just the beginning, actually), but from what I've played, it's hard to call it survival horror. Again, zombies die so fast that they're probably already dead, and the game starts you off with a fuckton of ammo and weapons. Also, haven't played Clock Tower, which explains why it's on the dartboard. "
I would like to read your write up of Haunting Ground. I'm not sure if you've played it or if it's on your aforementioned "dartboard". Nevertheless, it contains flaming grandpa rape. Also, giant mentally handicapped ogre rape, and cruel mistress rape. That's all that needs to be said about Haunting Ground.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ZanzibarBreeze: 

I haven't seen so much rape since the Seven....hell, it's hard coming up with puns for these....um.....the Seven Sphincter Smashers! Oddly enough, I remember a review of that game in EGM. Not high opinions.
xenexprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xenexprime

I loved The Legend of the Dragoons, I wish someone would make a sequel or remake of it.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Video_Game_King
@xenexprime: 

First, only one Dragoon. Second, I can see a remake, but a sequel? What the hell would it be about, they resolved everything that needed resolving.
xenexprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xenexprime
@Video_Game_King:  Ermm there was mroe than one Dragoon in the game, so I think your overreacting a little bit too much lol, second I don't mean a sequel to the same story but a second game, doesn't neccesarily have to be about the same story, for example the story about Darts father and The Dragoons Campaign against Winglies etc.. u can call it a prequel if you wish.

anything thing would be great to see about the game at this point, this was one of my favorites after FFVII on the PS1.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Video_Game_King
@xenexprime: 

No, I mean in the title. There's only one Dragoon in the title. Also, I can see that, maybe pulling a Lufia. And Lufia II was awesome.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Dickfeet!

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FateOfNever

You know, I own Legend of Dragoon.  It took me a very long time to actually get towards the end of the game - due to either losing game data by faulty memory cards, or getting halfway through and having my PS break, or getting near the end, never playing it, and then deleting the data to make room for other games.  Eventually, one day, I found I still had a save of the game right near the end of the game.  I booted it up, mostly remembering what was going on, and did the dungeon I was currently at.  ...Then the game made me walk ALL the way out of the dungeon I just finished.  I said "ok, that's... a strange design choice, but, ok, maybe it was just this dungeon" since I didn't really remember having to do that for all of the other dungeons in the game (maybe you did and I just didn't remember it though.  So I went on, immediately getting thrown into the next dungeon.  I did that dungeon too, beat the boss, and then realized they wanted me to walk all the way back out of that dungeon as well.  I then promptly looked up a guide and saw that I had at least one more dungeon like this ahead of me.  I then turned the game off and never finished it.  In retrospect, I feel like I was kind of just being lazy by complaining about something like that.  At the same time though, I think - really, they want you to basically run every single dungeon twice, and for what?  

This does, strangely, remind me that I kind of want to get around to Thousand Arms someday though and finally beat it.

xenexprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xenexprime
@FateOfNever said:
" You know, I own Legend of Dragoon.  It took me a very long time to actually get towards the end of the game - due to either losing game data by faulty memory cards, or getting halfway through and having my PS break, or getting near the end, never playing it, and then deleting the data to make room for other games.  Eventually, one day, I found I still had a save of the game right near the end of the game.  I booted it up, mostly remembering what was going on, and did the dungeon I was currently at.  ...Then the game made me walk ALL the way out of the dungeon I just finished.  I said "ok, that's... a strange design choice, but, ok, maybe it was just this dungeon" since I didn't really remember having to do that for all of the other dungeons in the game (maybe you did and I just didn't remember it though.  So I went on, immediately getting thrown into the next dungeon.  I did that dungeon too, beat the boss, and then realized they wanted me to walk all the way back out of that dungeon as well.  I then promptly looked up a guide and saw that I had at least one more dungeon like this ahead of me.  I then turned the game off and never finished it.  In retrospect, I feel like I was kind of just being lazy by complaining about something like that.  At the same time though, I think - really, they want you to basically run every single dungeon twice, and for what?    This does, strangely, remind me that I kind of want to get around to Thousand Arms someday though and finally beat it. "

that sounds very weird cause I don't remember running dungeons that way, but then again that was a while ago.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Video_Game_King
@FateOfNever: 

Yea, that was kinda bad, but Persona did that MUCH worse. It was in first person, meaning dungeons were ridiculously huge.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By ch13696

Sony needs to make another Legend of Dragoon, except no dragoons and it's not a legend.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ch13696: 

You mean The Of? That gives me an idea for a superhero. Hold on...

No Caption Provided

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mylifeforAiur
@Video_Game_King: Great review post! Also do you plan on playing any of the other Silent Hill games?
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Video_Game_King
@mylifeforAiur: 

Probably not, since I don't own any others, and I can't emulate their systems. If I could, I'd just skip over them and emulate Dragon Quest V or Halo (that last one would be inviting trouble, but damn it, I must! Eventually....).
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By shiftymagician

We do not need a Final Fantasy 7 Remake.  We need a Legend of Dragoon Remake!!  

It had issues, but overall it was fantastic to spend dozens of hours into.  Never regretted playing that game to be honest.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ShiftyMagician: 

No, we don't need a remake of either. What we really need a remake of FF6 on the DS.
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By shiftymagician
@Video_Game_King said:
" @ShiftyMagician:   No, we don't need a remake of either. What we really need a remake of FF6 on the DS. "
Though I agree on that, still I just feel fatigued consistently seeing requests for FF remakes in particular.  Just sounds so unoriginal.  But hey at least FF6 is one of the best in the bunch so I would vote for this if I really had to pick an FF game to remake.
FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#44  Edited By FLStyle
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Video_Game_King said:

" @The_Laughing_Man: 

I recall the guy in the red armor having it as a family heir loom.  "
Correct, he has it all a long, found it in Neet as a kid after it was destroyed. But it's only activated by Rose during the first Kongol encounter.

For all the problems that game had I still love it.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Video_Game_King
@FLStyle: 

Makes sense, but I don't remember much of the first disc, since it was SO LONG AGO.
Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Laharl

I got to play LOD somewhat recently and it was alright, although admittedly i lost interest at the 3rd or 4th disc.  I remember the combat was a little tough by the end, those 8 hit combo attacks were getting ridiculous, oh and if i remember right the boss battles pretty much just consisted of turn into dragoon form till that runs out, spam attack till you have dragoon form again. Not as bad as FF8s spam summon but still i would of liked a little more strategy. People say this was better than ff7, but id disagree, although the graphics were amazing for its time everything else was just sorta meh for me. If you can find it cheap or just downloaded a ps1 emulator its worth a play.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Laharl: 

Oh, I think I forgot to mention that several boss battles near the end will beat your ass into the ground if you touch the dragoon button, meaning all strategies devolve into "build up a single bar of Dragoon power, go into Dragoon mode, kick ass, go back to human, repeat until dead." The people who say that this game is better than FF7 are too stupid even for fiction. Anyway, what's with the final line? Are you recommending the game to me? I just did a blog on it, that should tell you everything you need to know about it.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#48  Edited By Hailinel
@Video_Game_King said:
" @mylifeforAiur:   Probably not, since I don't own any others, and I can't emulate their systems. If I could, I'd just skip over them and emulate Dragon Quest V or Halo (that last one would be inviting trouble, but damn it, I must! Eventually....). "
There is a DS version of Dragon Quest V that was released in English, you know. :P
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Video_Game_King
Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Laharl
@Video_Game_King: 
  Heh sorry, recommendation to whoever may read it or your blog thinking about trying it.