Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#51  Edited By Little_Socrates

@tunaburn said:

@Little_Socrates: im really wondering if assassins creed would work. its beautiful and fun and not that difficult

I'd present it alongside the other stuff, at least. I mean, where could it hurt? Worst case scenario, she continues to enjoy the games she enjoys.

I mean, there's an inherent condescension in all of this conversation if she didn't ask you to find her new stuff to play as it seems to imply that she would normally be unable to find games she likes or imply that you seek to "convert her" into a gamer because your way is "the right way." It's a bit arrogant to go to these lengths, and I'm surprised nobody's said it's sexist quite yet, even if it isn't inherently true. But that's unavoidable at this point, so let's accept that and try to repair it somewhat.

Here's the rub. If you ONLY show her Viva Piñata (which is a fucking fantastic game), she might take it as an insult that you'd be like "Well, you're a girl, maybe you'd like this" when she already displays an interest in more adult-oriented, and, well, male-oriented games like Fable. There's absolutely nothing wrong with anybody choosing to play Viva Piñata on their own (again, fantastic game.) But open her up to choices; then it's a conversation rather than just "hey, I got you this thing! Do you like it?"

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By Tarsier

braid, ilomilo, both are not anxiety inducing but take thought. you can play at your own pace and be patient and soak in the atmosphere and beautiful music and stories.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Civ Rev, maybe.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#54  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Rayman Origin

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#55  Edited By StarFoxA

Auditorium, Fractal, and Splice are all from the same developer, have really nice music, and are simplistic but awesome puzzle experiences (my personal favorite is Fractal). Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP is a pretty cool "experience" game, as is Dear Esther, but in my opinion it doesn't really deliver a solid narrative experience, so as they say, "your mileage may vary."

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

The only thing I can think of right now is Journey, but you don't have a PS3.

Sorry for the unhelpful post :(

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By tunaburn

@Little_Socrates: all i heard was "bla bla bla sexist bla bla bla"

shes not a gamer but she plays sometimes. she doesnt like difficult games and she likes pretty lookin games. shes a chick. its not sexist.

also guys she wants to play assassins creed. now i gotta see if i get the first one or the 2nd. i dont got $60 for the new one.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Azteck

Ninja Gaiden Black.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Little_Socrates

@tunaburn: That's too bad, I didn't really say you were sexist, just maybe a bit condescending. Like the guy at the record store who works with a guy who likes Muse, who are good, but you want to expose them to the real deal. I did say I was surprised nobody said it was sexist because of the hotbutton times we live in, even though I agree it's not inherently sexist.

I'd generally tell people to start with ACII.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Ravenlight
Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By Jeldh

@Baillie said:

Holy shit, beatiful, not beautiful. I think the phrase you're looking for is 'easily beatable.'

what!? This cant be what he meant? it would be hilarious if he did though.

@Little_Socrates said:

@tunaburn said:

@Little_Socrates: im really wondering if assassins creed would work. its beautiful and fun and not that difficult

I'd present it alongside the other stuff, at least. I mean, where could it hurt? Worst case scenario, she continues to enjoy the games she enjoys.

I mean, there's an inherent condescension in all of this conversation if she didn't ask you to find her new stuff to play as it seems to imply that she would normally be unable to find games she likes or imply that you seek to "convert her" into a gamer because your way is "the right way." It's a bit arrogant to go to these lengths, and I'm surprised nobody's said it's sexist quite yet, even if it isn't inherently true. But that's unavoidable at this point, so let's accept that and try to repair it somewhat.

Here's the rub. If you ONLY show her Viva Piñata (which is a fucking fantastic game), she might take it as an insult that you'd be like "Well, you're a girl, maybe you'd like this" when she already displays an interest in more adult-oriented, and, well, male-oriented games like Fable. There's absolutely nothing wrong with anybody choosing to play Viva Piñata on their own (again, fantastic game.) But open her up to choices; then it's a conversation rather than just "hey, I got you this thing! Do you like it?"

Ahh, you are putting way to much thought into this. why is there always a person who try to make something into what its not? its just a girl who wants an easy game, nothing more.

Also why should Fable be more male-oriented?

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#62  Edited By Sooperspy

I would say Journey but you said Xbox. So uhhhhh Bastion?

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Little_Socrates

@MrCaptain: Fable's primarily filled with men, all but a handful of women are presented in their standard societal place as homekeepers or harlots, and its primary humor tends to come from euphemism and fart jokes. At least traditionally, those are more male-oriented sensibilities. As a comparison to Viva Piñata, I would argue it's more male-oriented, but you're right in that I didn't make the comparison as clear as might make sense.

(Also, previous comment.) But the girlfriend, as far as we know, didn't say "Hey, get me easy and pretty games!" to our dear tunaburn and send him off into the forums to find them for her. It is a bit condescending for us to presume she needs our hivemind-like wisdom when it wasn't requested; feel free to blame Travis McElroy for my thinking this way. If my girlfriend told me she likes 2003-era Black Eyed Peas and not really anything else, it wouldn't suddenly be my mission to educate her with my "vast wisdom of rap music" without asking her about it first. If anything, there's a good chance that's going to turn her off to other things she might like just because I recommended things so arrogantly when she made it pretty clear it wasn't really her thing.

If she's interested in playing Assassin's Creed, that's awesome. But it does get annoying when people push themselves onto you in subjects you don't particularly care about without you asking, doesn't it?

(and with that, I'm out of this thread, 'cause you're both right in that I put too much thought into this and need to go just play some XCOM or something.)

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By Grillbar

what about flower, braid, limbo, dust: an elysian tail, pid (maybe)

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By vinsanityv22

Journey on PSN is probably the best "no stress" game ever made. You should get a PS3. Also, get her a 3DS. There are a ton of games for the DS/3DS that are very friendly to non-mainstream gamers. My sister used to play games, but when 3D came by, she fell out of it. Never got the hang of moving characters and cameras around at the same time. But she came back to gaming because of the DS. Games like Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes, Professor Layton, New Super Mario Bros., Kirby Cursed Canvas and Mass Attack, Mario & Luigi, Dragon Quest IX, Zero Escape, Monster Tale, Elite Beat Agents, Rhythm Thief, and Radiant Historia are all excellent, excellent games that are super playable. You don't need to be a "hardcore gamer" to succeed at these games - you just need to be smart and able to use a stylus/dpad and buttons.

As for pretty games on the 360, I don't know about that. Microsoft has done a great job of killing games such as those; hyping and supporting the grey, the drab, the "realistic". You could pick up some of Rare's games - Kameo, Viva Pinata and Banjo: Nuts & Bolts are all actually pretty good. Eternal Sonata is pretty fantastic too; an underrated game if ever there was one. I'd hunt down some XBLA games too - Dust: an Elysian Tale, for example. And Castle Crashers; that's just fun. Epic Mickey 2 is coming out in a few weeks for all consoles; I suggest that as well. Maybe even Skylanders. Just 'cuz they have color and style doesn't mean they're just kids' games; don't be afraid of color. Who said bombed out cities and desaturated visuals are so good?

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By tunaburn

@Little_Socrates: sorry i was kinda annoyed at the time. i will take your advice with assassins creed 2. i have no idea about those games so i will trust you!

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#67  Edited By spiceninja

Okami is beautiful and is pretty easy. It's just really long and has a lot of text to read. It also just came out on PSN in HD.

volemaulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By volemaulder

You do realize the he's talking about 360 and half of you are suggesting PS3 exclusives, right?

Also, Braid and Limbo, while different, are not easy games at all. The former can melt your brain and the latter feels like it's trolling you after some point. They seem approachable, but in truth they're anything but.

I'd say take a look at Kameo, Beyond Good & Evil and Enslaved. Especially Enslaved is pretty easy and a pretty game with good characterization and storytelling. You have to realize though, topic starter, that you've not really given us, or yourself, much to go on, other than she kind of liked From Dust. Not even why she liked it.

And I don't think you're being sexist or condescending. You're just trying to find a way to share with your girlfriend something that is an important, or big, part of your life. Nothing wrong with that, neither do you need to ask for permission to share stuff with your girlfriend. We're not talking about extreme fetishes here, we're talking about videogames. It's almost like someone saying you need to ask for permission before suggesting a film or a book to someone.

Assassin's Creed games are boring and really male oriented. No girl friend of mine has ever shown even a remote interest in these games. Which is true for many of my guy friends, too, so make of that what you will.

Portal is a good candidate, but, as previously pointed out, one needs to be familiar with fps controls, otherwise they end up staring at floors and ceilings and falling in all the wrong places. I'd say start with 3rd person games. And try to have in mind that there are many mechanics and "game logics" that we take for granted, but if you're not familiar with them they don't make much sense.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Dan_CiTi
@tunaburn: Flower is totally a game. And also Journey, Okami, Braid, Viva Pinata, and Zelda: The Minish Cap. 
Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Little_Socrates said:

@MrCaptain: Fable's primarily filled with men, all but a handful of women are presented in their standard societal place as homekeepers or harlots, and its primary humor tends to come from euphemism and fart jokes. At least traditionally, those are more male-oriented sensibilities. As a comparison to Viva Piñata, I would argue it's more male-oriented, but you're right in that I didn't make the comparison as clear as might make sense.

(Also, previous comment.) But the girlfriend, as far as we know, didn't say "Hey, get me easy and pretty games!" to our dear tunaburn and send him off into the forums to find them for her. It is a bit condescending for us to presume she needs our hivemind-like wisdom when it wasn't requested; feel free to blame Travis McElroy for my thinking this way. If my girlfriend told me she likes 2003-era Black Eyed Peas and not really anything else, it wouldn't suddenly be my mission to educate her with my "vast wisdom of rap music" without asking her about it first. If anything, there's a good chance that's going to turn her off to other things she might like just because I recommended things so arrogantly when she made it pretty clear it wasn't really her thing.

If she's interested in playing Assassin's Creed, that's awesome. But it does get annoying when people push themselves onto you in subjects you don't particularly care about without you asking, doesn't it?

(and with that, I'm out of this thread, 'cause you're both right in that I put too much thought into this and need to go just play some XCOM or something.)

Thats not what he's doing, in fact he is doing almost exactly the opposite. She liked how it looked and enjoyed playing From Dust but didn't like being hurried so OP decided to look for other games that fit the first two.

And I wouldn't take the McElroys advice as gospel as these are the same guys who think if a girl wants to wait til marriage to have sex, you have to go along with it or you're an asshole. Because if you don't, you aren't respecting her and apparently your opinion doesn't matter as much as her religious views.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#71  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Me. AHA!

Uh, Journey is a really good one. Minecraft if she's into makin' stuff. The Fable games if she likes crude humor. TellTale adventure games aren't always super pretty but usually have a great style and sense of humor. Prince of Persia '08 is incredibly easy, and kinda pretty. Alan Wake is something to avoid, because it can have some silly difficulty spikes. But if she is really into that sorta thing you could always play together and swap off every few deaths.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#72  Edited By buzz_killington

So there is this game I like to play called Bonin'. Also known as Shaggin' in the UK and most PAL regions. You catch my drift?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#74  Edited By TobbRobb

Hey, maybe a bit late now. But the 2008 Prince of Persia is gorgeous as all hell, the complete opposite of punishing with fluid and fun platforming and has some endearing dialogue. I'd definitely put that as a high recommendation!

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#75  Edited By Hunter5024

Prince of Persia 08 is the first game that comes to mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don't make her play Dark Souls, you're a sexist pig for thinking she can't handle hard games

Sarkeesian'd!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rayman Origins

Oh sorry I read that as "Beautiful games for easy girls". If you have a PS3 Critter Crunch is great. If you just have an Xbox then try Eternal Sonata.

niftymcnift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By niftymcnift

One word

Amnesia

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#79  Edited By fattony12000

SimCity 2000.

feignamnesia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By feignamnesia

@buzz_killington said:

So there is this game I like to play called Bonin'. Also known as Shaggin' in the UK and most PAL regions. You catch my drift?

That must work all the time in real life!

(Though honestly that's phrased as if it should be preceded by a "hey girl,")

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By thedj93

mortal kombat or street fighter if you're looking for something competitive. unless you're already really good at those, in which case, dumb yourself down i guess...

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By donkeycow

I read the topic title as "Easy Beautiful Girlfriend" and thought to myself, lucky bastard.... I might need new glasses.

ikes78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By ikes78

Costume Quest.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#84  Edited By Zuldim

2008's Prince of Persia. Very easy, very, very, pretty.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#85  Edited By rachelepithet

Something turn based strategy? Theres got to be a tower defense game like Plants Vs Zombies that doesnt rush you.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Mario Tennis for the Virtual Boy.