Expectations and reactions to DLC need to change

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Edited By Shadow

Originally, console-based DLC was just this occasional thing that only crazy high-profile games did, so there wasn't as much to choose from.  This lack of content is why people still condemn Bethesda for horse armor despite there now being far worse deals out there, just because there was so little available at the time.  Still, reactions to terrible DLC deals are strange even now and I feel like it needs to change.  There is so much downloadable content for stuff that it's unreasonable to take it personally anymore.  I was just listening to the bombcast, and the conversation about the Animal Crossing clock and calculator made me realize something.  People don't just shrug off bad DLC deals and not buy them.  Instead every downloadable thing that someone doesn't want to buy is taken as a personal insult.  You aren't obligated to buy any of it so if it seems unapealing, just don't.  You don't need to make a big deal out of not wanting to buy something. 

It's the same reason you don't walk into a museum gift shop and yell at the manager for charging #25 for a rock with the museum's name etched into it.  You leave the museum and spend that money on something dumb that other people would see as being an equally bad purchase.  People who play a lot of games aren't usually into the dumb seemingly overpriced stuff, but there are people out there who are.  Who's to say a dumb little Animal crossing clock isn't exactly what many fans are looking for?  The average guy going into that museum doesn't want to buy the stupid rock, but to the tourist who has been wanting to go to the museum all year, it's the perfect souveneer.  It's a useless paperweight to some, but as the saying goes, one man's trash is another man's treasure.  If you don't want to buy the dumb game thing, guess what; it isn't meant for you.  It's meant for the massive fan of that game's franchise.  I bought every add-on for Ninja Gaiden 2 because I absolutely love that game, but I absolutely understand why other people wouldn't want to pay $2.50 each for a new costume.  I didn't, and won't, buy any of the Street Fighter 4 costumes, but I don't take it personally  that they're charging so damn much for each pack because I know there are people who are into that sort of thing and would gladly pay double that price.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Shadow

Originally, console-based DLC was just this occasional thing that only crazy high-profile games did, so there wasn't as much to choose from.  This lack of content is why people still condemn Bethesda for horse armor despite there now being far worse deals out there, just because there was so little available at the time.  Still, reactions to terrible DLC deals are strange even now and I feel like it needs to change.  There is so much downloadable content for stuff that it's unreasonable to take it personally anymore.  I was just listening to the bombcast, and the conversation about the Animal Crossing clock and calculator made me realize something.  People don't just shrug off bad DLC deals and not buy them.  Instead every downloadable thing that someone doesn't want to buy is taken as a personal insult.  You aren't obligated to buy any of it so if it seems unapealing, just don't.  You don't need to make a big deal out of not wanting to buy something. 

It's the same reason you don't walk into a museum gift shop and yell at the manager for charging #25 for a rock with the museum's name etched into it.  You leave the museum and spend that money on something dumb that other people would see as being an equally bad purchase.  People who play a lot of games aren't usually into the dumb seemingly overpriced stuff, but there are people out there who are.  Who's to say a dumb little Animal crossing clock isn't exactly what many fans are looking for?  The average guy going into that museum doesn't want to buy the stupid rock, but to the tourist who has been wanting to go to the museum all year, it's the perfect souveneer.  It's a useless paperweight to some, but as the saying goes, one man's trash is another man's treasure.  If you don't want to buy the dumb game thing, guess what; it isn't meant for you.  It's meant for the massive fan of that game's franchise.  I bought every add-on for Ninja Gaiden 2 because I absolutely love that game, but I absolutely understand why other people wouldn't want to pay $2.50 each for a new costume.  I didn't, and won't, buy any of the Street Fighter 4 costumes, but I don't take it personally  that they're charging so damn much for each pack because I know there are people who are into that sort of thing and would gladly pay double that price.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

Yeah... nothing personal, I just pay for what I want to play.