Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

We all know Fallout 4 will be released, and yes i know it will be quite a while until it's in production with the very recent release of Skyrim. It may be a bit too early to talk about Fallout 4, but we can at least wildly speculate about the game.   
Given the fact that Skyrim is filled with snow (at least the northern parts), would you like to see a Nuclear Winter type setting in Fallout 4? Because i really think it would be awesome if you could headshot dudes with your sniper rifle in the snow, maybe even add some snow related perks, and add cold as a factor in the hardcore mode if they choose to implement it. Snow is also very cool, and it has the death vibe going on, being that winter is the season of death, and nuclear winter the never ending season of death so it fits well within the Fallout universe and atmosphere.
Anyway, Nuclear Winter, yay or nay? 
And yes, there is snow in the Fallout universe see Jacobstown.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By emergency

All I know is that the setting and feel of fallout needs a bit of a revamp if I am going to play another Fallout game.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I would love to see some kinda weather effects in Fallout. 

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By BulletproofMonk

I like this idea. Freezing temperature being a factor in the gameplay would be interesting.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MiniPato

I would definitely love a winter setting for Fallout 4. You have to find heat sources as you explore the outside otherwise you become weaker, take more damage, more susceptible to status ailments, get a cold, or even die. It'd be like radiation levels. This makes you have to be very careful and prepared before you venture into the wasteland. I always love preparing to set out on a dangerous expedition. You can find equipment that will keep you warmer for longer as you explore. It makes towns and shelters much more useful too, so you can't just wait or sleep outside in the cold. Have occasional blizzards that obscure your field of view.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lockwoodx

They honestly don't need to call it fallout 4. Just call it Fallout: Chicago.

TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@Buzzkill: I'm not sure i follow, is it because it snows in Chicago or because of Tactics?
@MiniPato: Not to mention the cool visual of the blood of your enemies as it seeps into the snow. 
@emergency: I understand why the setting needs to change, but in what way does the "feel" have to change?
lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lockwoodx

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@Buzzkill: I'm not sure i follow, is it because it snows in Chicago or because of Tactics?

It's because they mentioned Chicago in EDE's quest line if you bothered to play New Vegas.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By emergency

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@emergency: I understand why the setting needs to change, but in what way does the "feel" have to change?

I just want some innovation thats all. I don't want merely Fallout 3 with a new setting. Bethesda do a decent job of using improvements in their others games in different franchises. So some of the stuff in Skyrim should hopefully make it over to a Fallout game. More dynamic encounters, quest system etc?

TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@Buzzkill: I would, if i played the game recently, next time try to make a more obvious reference. Just because some location was mentioned in New Vegas doesn't mean that the next game will take place there.
lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lockwoodx

@TheDudeOfGaming: The thread is about the Fallout Series and speculation about its future. Excuse me for assuming it's creator had all the facts.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12  Edited By GS_Dan

Setting it just after the war would be interesting, watching the world around go to shit.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By laserbolts

Snowy fallout would be cool but until they make it so that shooting the guns without vats is at least decent, I'm not interested in fallout. Vats was super boring imo and the combat is the main reason I never bothered beating fallout 3 or new Vegas.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BraveToaster

Snow would be cool, but someone would probably joke around and call it, Fallout 4: Other Metro.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By tourgen

@TheDudeOfGaming:

that sounds really cool and a lot of fun. I'd like to see some more weather affects - breath freezing, scope fogging, maybe some stuff with how gusts of winds can move sounds around and make things sound like they are coming from different directions,

TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@Buzzkill: I was simply asking about Nuclear Winter as a setting, not a location. I can only hope that you'll be able to forgive me for not being able to remember every line of dialogue in Fallout New Vegas. It's great that you apparently can.
LOZZAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By LOZZAT

I have dreams of being the post-apocalyptic version of Simo Häyhä! Of course, sniping Soviets would be replaced with sniping reckless raider ruffians. If they improve the A.I. and combat for Fallout 4 like they improved so many things for Skyrim, it will be something to look forward to.

TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@LOZZAT: Come on man, we all know Vasily Grigoryevich Zaytsev is the most badass sniper in history. Let me prove it, movies made about Vasily:1 movies made about Simo Hayha:0 :D
@tourgen: The coolest thing i think, would be the moment a bullet hits an enemy and being that most of the area would be covered in snow, you could see the blood just gushing out even at long distances. A bit graphic i know, but still cool.
MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MiniPato

@Buzzkill said:

@TheDudeOfGaming: The thread is about the Fallout Series and speculation about its future. Excuse me for assuming it's creator had all the facts.

QUIT LIVING UP TO YOUR NAME!

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bybeach

I've never liked snow. it allows a cheap way for everything to be bleak and barren and that is not what I expect in a Fall....oh wait.

Don't give them (the devs.) any ideas. They may like this one, whereas I was hoping for more contrast and graphical content in fallout 4. I just don't like snow in games, it gets monotonous

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TorMasturba

How about a Fallout game based in Canada (it'd basically be Skyrim with guns), Or a Fallout game based inside a rainforest. The story would be that the forests weren't nuked because of their lack of human population and due to this same reason a lot of people headed towards them in case they weren't nuked and ended up being right, now they just have to survive in a place completely choked with animals and less guns+supplies.

I'd love to play a fallout game based somewhere other than America for a change. Nothing against America but the Fallout effects from a nuclear war is damaging on a world wide scale so why the hell not?

I doubt this would ever happen with the majority of gamers living in America but I wish they would.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@TheDudeOfGaming: It sounds like you're asking if I want to play through the beginning of the end as a survivor outside of the vault. In which case, yes. Very much yes.

TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@TorMasturba: Well America has been central to Fallout games. Changing the location would throw away most lore built around the Fallout universe. I doubt will see a Fallout game that isn't taking place in America.  
@bybeach: Snow is awesome sir, that's all i have to say.  
@KingWilly: Again, just like with America, vaults are central to the fallout universe. So i don't want to see them gone, but it would be nice if you wouldn't have a direct affiliation with them. Even in Fallout New Vegas the first item of clothing you get is a Vault 22 suit. I mean it's been 4 games, 5 if you include tactics. Doing something different, but not too different, would be nice. 
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Animasta

Nuclear Winter? so you want it set like 20 years after the bombs go off or what

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@TorMasturba: Well America has been central to Fallout games. Changing the location would throw away most lore built around the Fallout universe. I doubt will see a Fallout game that isn't taking place in America.
@bybeach: Snow is awesome sir, that's all i have to say.
@KingWilly: Again, just like with America, vaults are central to the fallout universe. So i don't want to see them gone, but it would be nice if you wouldn't have a direct affiliation with them. Even in Fallout New Vegas the first item of clothing you get is a Vault 22 suit. I mean it's been 4 games, 5 if you include tactics. Doing something different, but not too different, would be nice.

I'm not saying Vaults should be gone, or Vault-Tec shouldn't have a presence. I think it would be an interesting challenge for Bethesda to try and craft one of their RPGs around the idea of "You didn't get to a vault even if you tried." Prologue/tutorial mission could be the bombs dropping. The reason I sort-of-want this kind of RPG from them is because I want to see if they can do it. It's really heavy material they need to deal with, and I feel like both Black Isle/Obsidian and Bethesda have danced around having to really sit down and deal with the material. Fallout 3 was bleak and depressing as hell until I got to Megaton, and saw how people were still holding on. I'm not sure how to articulate what it is I want from Fallout 4 other than saying "go watch Miracle Mile."

That said, one of Fallout's staples is to parody 1950's Americana. It'd be kind of weird of Bethesda took Fallout 4 as seriously as I want them to.

TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@Animasta: Well no not really, there are already areas in the world with climates of never ending snow. I guess that a huge and devastating atomic war that engulfed the entire planet would have some extreme effect on climates through out the world. Besides, even if it's not possible, the writers could throw in a couple of whacky explanations, wouldn't be the first time it happened in Fallout. 
@KingWilly: I don't know man, stranger things have happened. All i know is if Bethesda does take a more serious approach a lot of the "old-school" Fallout fans will be even more pissed.
Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By captain_clayman

all i know is they should make it a competent shooter. and i do like snow.  in fact now that i think about it, in fallout 3 you're not really sure what the temperature was like.  it looks like it could be either hot or cold.  snow would definitely add to the atmosphere.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By spazmaster666

To be honest regardless of the setting, a new Fallout game using the Skyrim engine and quest system is a game I would buy on day one, no questions asked. I loved both Fallout 3 and New Vegas to death, and the only thing that was holding those games back IMO was the dated Gamebryo engine.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Animasta

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@Animasta: Well no not really, there are already areas in the world with climates of never ending snow. I guess that a huge and devastating atomic war that engulfed the entire planet would have some extreme effect on climates through out the world. Besides, even if it's not possible, the writers could throw in a couple of whacky explanations, wouldn't be the first time it happened in Fallout.

you really just want to play skyrim but with guns? that's honestly what you're describing to me (well what it sounds like anyway) although admittedly I probably wouldn't buy fallout 4 if it was made by Bethesda anyway because fallout 3 was pretty bad, but still

TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@captain_clayman: @spazmaster666: I agree100%
@Animasta: So what you're saying is Skyrim=snow? I wanted a post apocalyptic game set in a nuclear winter type setting before i even knew about Skyrim, i was just using Skyrim as an example. Because it's covered in snow and Fallout 4 will be built using the same engine, but again doesn't mean there will be snow. Anyway there are a lot of differences between Elder Scrolls and Fallout. If universe, lore, story, characters, locations mean nothing to you, then yeah i guess they are pretty similar. But you know i remember when people called Fallout 3 Oblivion with guns. After i played it i just laughed at those comments. And i don't agree with your opinion of Fallout 3, but to each his own.
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By McGhee

I'm already sick and tired of snow. I want a vast dessert wasteland with Mad Max style vehicles.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TorMasturba

@tourgen said:

@TheDudeOfGaming:

that sounds really cool and a lot of fun. I'd like to see some more weather affects - breath freezing, scope fogging, maybe some stuff with how gusts of winds can move sounds around and make things sound like they are coming from different directions,

What about your stream of piss freezing in the wind, mid-flow. Lol.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AngelN7

As long as they improved on what they did with Fallout 3 and Skyrim , I really don't care where they set the story , snow could be very cool as long as is not use in a dumb way

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By Commisar123

Sure why not, let them reuse tile sets. It'll make the next game come quicker.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By YoThatLimp

@Buzzkill said:

They honestly don't need to call it fallout 4. Just call it Fallout: Chicago.

As a guy from Chicago, I would be really into this.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ravenlight

"Patrolling the Mojave Wasteland almost makes me wish for a nuclear winter!"

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I think it'd be cool if Bethesda and Obsidian both worked on the next Fallout. I favor New Vegas over Fallout 3 for many reasons, but man I can not stand all the constant immersion breaking bugs.

I don't care if its nuclear winter: just give me more fallout.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Skytylz

I think it'd be awesome if there was some vegetation and things were starting to go back to "normal" environmentally.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Harkat

First and foremost, I would like a decent ruined city environment. NV had pretty much no ruined cities, and DC in FO3 was basically an occasionally forking corridor painted to look like a city.

I want a city where there are blocks upon blocks of buildings I can navigate around. I also want to be able to, without any loading times, enter a hotel, find a room three floors up, and snipe from the window. DC felt really restrictive, you pretty much only had one path through the city, most paths were blocked by rubble.

Oh, and nuclear winter is an awesome idea, though if I'm not mistaken, it was already featured in either FO1 or FO2.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By coakroach

I'd love to see all of the progress from the last four Fallout games all go to shit because of some freak blizzard

Avatar image for makoto_mizuhara_sakamoto
Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I would LIKE to see in a 'Fallout' game is ACTUAL FALLOUT. Why not just have a game that takes place during the initial wars that kicked everything off?

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Harkat

@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto said:

What I would LIKE to see in a 'Fallout' game is ACTUAL FALLOUT. Why not just have a game that takes place during the initial wars that kicked everything off?

Because that would probably be a shooter. Don't give Bethesda any ideas. They are a publisher now, they'll get some B-grade developer to make an FPS under the Fallout name.

Fallout of Duty.

LOZZAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By LOZZAT

@TheDudeOfGaming: Damn, now that I won't tolerate. Russian propaganda is all that is. They made a film about Vasily because that setting makes for an entertaining film based upon falsehood. Vasily wasn't even the best Soviet sniper, but got the Hero Of The Soviet Union award and more recognition. Simo on the other hand; killed about 700 Soviets in just under 100 days (with 505 confirmed kills by sniper rifle, the other couple of hundred were submachine gun kills I think). He even preferred to use iron sights. Dude stuffed his mouth with snow so enemies couldn't see his breath in the cold air. That's just badass right there. Sorry, I feel strongly that this guy is forgotten in popular culture as the most successful sniper ever. Look him up, it's unbelievable. Completely unbelievable.

Oh and to be more on topic again, I think apart from snow, some good weather effects would do well to enhance the atmosphere in Fallout, although I don't know much about post-nuclear apocalypse weather patterns and what sort of things you would see. More specifically, in a winter environment what sort of mutated creatures would we see? Less insects and things probably, they're not a fan of the cold I hear.

Returning to sniping though, I don't remember using a scoped sniper rifle that much in Fallout 3 anyway, felt more efficient to just use my trusty hunting rifle most of the time. Making the gunplay a little more satisfying would go a long way in the next Fallout I think. Also, what are the thoughts on locomotion in Fallout, since in Skyrim you have sprinting and horses and so on, do you think they'll implement any form of travel for the next Fallout other than just walking everywhere? Although that might open a wormhole as to why they have some vehicles and not others etc. etc. I'm just imagining running raiders over in a snowmobile now...

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By lockwoodx

@GS_Dan said:

Setting it just after the war would be interesting, watching the world around go to shit.

Except if you played the $DLC Honest Hearts for New Vegas, you find that reading the journal of the survivalist explains what it was like after the war, and he went into detail about how it took months, close to a year fro the actual fallout of black rain carrying lethal radiation to end. After that, he described the world as completely silent, everything was simply dead for a long long time before he noticed signs of life and was able to go out and explore. Also remember that vaults were timed, so while the early days after the war might sound interesting, the earliest vault that unlocks after the war is 20 years.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By ComradeKhan

@bybeach said:

I've never liked snow. it allows a cheap way for everything to be bleak and barren and that is not what I expect in a Fall....oh wait.

I see what you did there... thats why game designers love post apocalyptic settings so much (a cheap way for everything to be bleak and barren), so a snowy setting seems plausible I guess.
lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lockwoodx

@MiniPato said:

@Buzzkill said:

QUIT LIVING UP TO YOUR NAME!

I could rename myself "Truth" if that would help?

Avatar image for makoto_mizuhara_sakamoto
Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Harkat said:

Because that would probably be a shooter. Don't give Bethesda any ideas. They are a publisher now, they'll get some B-grade developer to make an FPS under the Fallout name.

Fallout of Duty.

You misunderstand. The way it'd play would be similar to the play-style of 3 and New Vegas, but with the added intrigue of having stuff fall apart/mutate in a fashion not seen since the original Parasite Eve.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Harkat

@Harkat said:

Fallout of Duty.

You misunderstand. The way it'd play would be similar to the play-style of 3 and New Vegas, but with the added intrigue of having stuff fall apart/mutate in a fashion not seen since the original Parasite Eve.

But the war was waged across all continents and was fought with nukes. That does not fit the sandbox format very well.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#49  Edited By GS_Dan

@Buzzkill: Yeah, but there were people outside still. The game could take place over a character's lifetime or something.

I'd like to see what happened outside of the US though.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Animasta

@Harkat said:

Fallout of Duty.

do you just mean fallout: resource wars?