Favourite WW2 Games

friendlypossum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just finished Fury...great movie. What WW2 games will continue these feels?

Played the Medal of Honor games, but was late to the PC party...suggestions?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@corevi: Good call, those games are great even if they do weird things with their alternate reality war setting.

My favorite WWII game is Company of Heroes. Really strong skirmish and multiplayer and some strong solo content as well. The original campaign is good but my favorite is probably the Wehrmacht campaign from Tales of Valor. The recent second entry is good as well and I hear good things about the Ardennes Offensive DLC but there's no need to buy any of that if you don't know the first one yet.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I really enjoyed Call of Duty 2.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

I've been having great fun in World of Tanks and more recently War Thunder, which now has ground vehicles also. Both are free to play and available on the PC

The 76mm M4A3E8 Sherman takes a while to get in War Thunder, while it's a lot faster in World of Tanks. At some point you could straight up buy the Fury in WoT but I dunno if it's still being sold

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Orchestra 2 bar none, nothing comes close, it also has fully modeled, fully (player) crewed tanks, interiors included. The game covers both Eastern and Pacific fronts and has a massive amount of maps and content, here's a trailer from the Pacific portion: RO 2 Rising Storm Launch Trailer

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Call of Duty 2 was my favorite game in the franchise, but the Brothers in Arms series is one of my favorite shooter franchises of all time. It mixed the squad-tactics from games like Full Spectrum Warrior with solid shooting and great multiplayer experience online or just with two people in split-screen.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By sweep  Moderator

The original Call Of Duty is essentially Band Of Brothers: The Videogame, with a bit of Enemy At The Gates thrown in for good measure. That was the game that made me realise that I am all about online multiplayer (This was my counter strike, basically) and it still holds up really well, though the campaign is where it really shines. A lot of those levels are masterfully crafted, the voice acting is superb, and it's generally just hella fun. With the expansions there are levels in Bastogne, which are also well done.

No Caption Provided

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baal_sagoth: It's pretty much the only WW2 game I've ever enjoyed. I'm not an FPS (unless they are insanely stylish), RTS or Sim guy so pretty much anything from that setting isn't for me but man do I love a good SRPG.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Giant_Gamer
@jjor64 said:

This (on PC and X360) and if you have a 6th gen console (PS2/Xbox) then i recommend Medal of Honor European Assault

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Orchestra 2 is probably the best ww2 game for capturing the brutality of the opening and closing battles of Saving Private Ryan and is also one of my favourite online shooters of all time

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 is probably my favorite WWII video game. Fantastic gameplay, really fun shooting mechanics, you control two different squads to suppress and flank enemies, gorgeous game at the time. Everything about it is incredible. Went back and played some of it recently on PC, and it still holds up well.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#14 fisk0  Moderator

Valkyria Chronicles is pretty alright, but personally I'm mostly into flight simulators when it comes to the WWII setting.

When it comes to arcady shooting, I really like Panzer Elite Action too, but the PC version sold on Steam is kinda busted (the tank threads don't animate and some tanks are rendered without their turrets), so I'd only recommend that game if you've got a PS2 on hand, because the PS2 version is pretty great.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By BonOrbitz

I just saw Fury as well and I liked it well enough, though I was disappointed in it because the the editing and run time seemed to diminish any character development and made the characters unappealing to me. I also didn't care for the Star Wars laser-like tracers and unrealistic ending. Also, I was expecting more tanks! It may be that Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan have set my expectations too high for WWII stuff.

Speaking of tanks and WWII games, I really love World of Tanks 360, Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, and the first Company of Heroes.

@giantstalker said:

The 76mm M4A3E8 Sherman takes a while to get in War Thunder, while it's a lot faster in World of Tanks. At some point you could straight up buy the Fury in WoT but I dunno if it's still being sold

You can still buy Fury in WoT 360 until this Friday. In my excitement for what I thought was going to be "World of Tanks: The Movie" I ended up buying it. And how is WoT vs. WT? What do you like and dislike about them?

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Corevi
@fisk0 said:

Valkyria Chronicles is pretty alright

That's not a WW2 game at all. It's bizarro anime fantasy WW2 where instead of nukes ending the war it was a magical girl with a magic lance.

It's a good game but probably not what he's looking for.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really like Company of Heroes.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Motherfuckin' Call of Duty 1.

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of my favorite WW2 games is The Saboteur. It's a bit different than most games set during that time since it's a GTA style game rather than an FPS. It's really fun and the visual aesthetics are really nice.

The Sniper Elite series is really good too if you like a slower and more methodical style shooter. Plus, Sniper Elite 3 is one of the only games that takes place in the African front during WW2.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Wolfenstein was awesome, though it's probably not the kind of World War 2 game you're looking for.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Call of Duty 1 is probably still the best one. Stalingrad was amazing...

I haven't played it for a while now, so I don't know how well it holds to today's standards.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ltsmash

I remember really enjoying the Close Combat series, even though I never felt like I was playing them correctly.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By mikemcn

Call of Duty 2! I like it more than 4 for singleplayer, historically based and super intense! Also, Captain Price is in it.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#25 fisk0  Moderator
captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although I liked the first more than the sequel, Red Orchestra 2 is a fantastic game if you're willing to spend some time getting used to it. It's pretty unique and brutal game that is pretty tough on new players. Adjusting your play style around concealment and cover can be tricky for some people (as you die in one hit most of the time), but is really rewarding once you get it down.

reverendk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been having great fun in World of Tanks and more recently War Thunder, which now has ground vehicles also. Both are free to play and available on the PC

War Thunder has some pretty big issues with modeling HE shells effects, battle ratings, and is still very slowly filing out the US tank destroyer trees but at a minimum you can embrace the stug life. I want a 37mm armed willies jeep or at least a T48 GMC.

I can't be the only person that played Over the Reich, right?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Call of Duty 2 was pretty great. Loved the MP in that game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It's a shame all of the ww2 games got burnt through there by the Medal of Honour and Call of Duty series. I would be interested to see what a larger scope game in that setting looks like in 2015. The last big budget one I can think of is Call of Duty World at War and that was 2008.

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SSI's Soldiers at War is an amazing turn based strategy game in the spirit of X-Com. If you are looking for something other then shooters I would check it out. Be forewarned, it is extemely difficult and has quite a learning curve.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Quarters

All of the Brothers in Arms games, all day. Still waiting for BiA4. I need the resolution to that cliffhanger. Also, as someone who considers Call of Duty one of my favorite series, the amount of love that CoD1, and ESPECIALLY CoD2 receive literally blows my mind. I'd rather play CoD3 or WaW.

hodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Orchestra 2 and Company of heroes are the best WW2 games in their genre. I really like Day of Defeat back in the day because it had a good class system for early FPS games. Also IL-2 Sturmovik is a great and really easy combat flight sim (easy for a simulator, not for those who don't want to worry about lift).

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I also vote for Company of Heroes, I've also gotten pretty heavily into War Thunder. ( Although I'd probably recommend the IL-2 Sturmovik series ahead of it.)

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

medal of honor airborne was pretty awesome

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Medal of Honor: Airborne - Allows you to approach objectives as you see fit and you can kill dudes by kicking them as land. Excellent sound design.

Brothers in Arms - Hell's Highway - Really tight gameplay and maybe my favourite story in any WW2 video game.

geardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjor64 said:

I concur.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#37  Edited By Yummylee

One of my favorite WW2 games is The Saboteur. It's a bit different than most games set during that time since it's a GTA style game rather than an FPS. It's really fun and the visual aesthetics are really nice.

This is what came in to post. I haven't actually played very many WW2 games mind, but The Saboteur was a good time.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Call of Duty 2, Company of Heroes and Medal of Honor: Frontline, by a landslide.

@rorie said:

Call of Duty 2 was pretty great. Loved the MP in that game.

I play CoD2 multiplayer on 360 with my friends to this day. Maybe has the best smoke grenade. Still.

Frontline has my number one favorite WW2 level of all time, and one of the best WW2 songs every written. It was hardcoded to my brain all those years ago and never stopped playing on loop: Arnhem Knights.

Loading Video...

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Red Orchestra 2