First Teaser Trailer for James Cameron’s Avatar

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Hector

I went to go see the 16 minute screening of Avatar and I'm gonna say this trailer does not do it justice. Watching it in 3D in IMAX was amazing!
Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#1  Edited By Hector

I went to go see the 16 minute screening of Avatar and I'm gonna say this trailer does not do it justice. Watching it in 3D in IMAX was amazing!
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i dont think this should be locked (because theres already a topic on this) . because this one has a embedded video and a better title 

and that movie looks............. yeah.. weird

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne

The new Heavy Rain footage impressed me more. :|

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
"i dont think this should be locked (because theres already a topic on this) . because this one has a embedded video and a better title   and that movie looks............. yeah.. weird "

It still belongs in Off-topic, though.
CptFishstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CptFishstick

Hmmm, mysterious . . . or is it? I bet I could tell you the whole plot of this movie right now based on the trailer. You're really dumb if you can't guess what this is about. But maybe still worth checking out on the big screen. 

Shame on you James Cameron! You spoiled the whole movie in the first trailer already!

PS: Ain't telling the plot now. Just in case one of you isn't really that smart and I accidentally spoiled all your fun.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince

I know everyone is waiting for James Cameron's next big movie, but that looked like shit in my opinion. Most movies involving aliens suck and not only that but I expected more from Mr.Cameron. The CGI of those blue aliens looks like it would be at home, in a cartoon CGI movie, not one that is meant to look photo realistic.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Meowayne
@CptFishstick said:
" You spoiled the whole movie in the first trailer already! "
Have you seen the trailer for Gran Torino? The trailer shows every important plot event right to the end, and in the right order. Unbelievable. I am glad I watched the movie without knowing the trailer.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zombie2011
@LiquidPrince said:

" I know everyone is waiting for James Cameron's next big movie, but that looked like shit in my opinion. Most movies involving aliens suck and not only that but I expected more from Mr.Cameron. The CGI of those blue aliens looks like it would be at home, in a cartoon CGI movie, not one that is meant to look photo realistic. "

Yep the CGI does not look to good. The way he was hyping this movie it sounded like it would be the next Jurassic Park, where you just see the visuals and your jaw drops. I really think District 9 has better visuals than this, and i can already tell this movie is gonna turn into some gay ass love story between the Avatar and that blue chick.     
CptFishstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CptFishstick
@Meowayne said:

Have you seen the trailer for Gran Torino? The trailer shows every important plot event right to the end, and in the right order. Unbelievable. I am glad I watched the movie without knowing the trailer. "

Thanks for telling :P Was just about to watch the trailer when I decided to check Gaint Bomb.

Looking at the Avatar trailer for the second time James rises some questions, beside the plot-spoiling, for whom is this movie intended? 
It got some kinda Transformers-vibe smeared on to it. It contains some shots which look like it could be more mature-targeted but looking at the aliens I get the feeling this also could be more of a Disney-flick.

@zombie2011

said:

" @LiquidPrince said:

" I know everyone is waiting for James Cameron's next big movie, but that looked like shit in my opinion. Most movies involving aliens suck and not only that but I expected more from Mr.Cameron. The CGI of those blue aliens looks like it would be at home, in a cartoon CGI movie, not one that is meant to look photo realistic. "

Yep the CGI does not look to good. The way he was hyping this movie it sounded like it would be the next Jurassic Park, where you just see the visuals and your jaw drops. I really think District 9 has better visuals than this, and i can already tell this movie is gonna turn into some gay ass love story between the Avatar and that blue chick.      "
The question is: How long is this movie in production? If it has been for over 3 / 5 years, then the 3D looks reasonable.
Vecta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Vecta
@zombie2011 said:
" @LiquidPrince said:

Yep the CGI does not look to good. The way he was hyping this movie it sounded like it would be the next Jurassic Park, where you just see the visuals and your jaw drops. I really think District 9 has better visuals than this, and i can already tell this movie is gonna turn into some gay ass love story between the Avatar and that blue chick.      "
You guys have something wrong with your eyers. Both District 9's and Avatar's CGI are done by the same special effects development studio(Weta Studios) and Weta has more money to work with on Avatar then it did for District 9. The CG looks absolutely fine.
But then Im guessing you dislike it because of the over saturation of colours in the "new world", but then Im sure for the majority of movie goers that wont be a problem at all, if the western worlds most popular exclusive video game is anything to go by.
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheFreeMan

Isn`t this movie supposed to be seen in 3D? The CGI doesn`t look too hot in the trailers, but I imagine it probably looks better in 3D or whatever.

Anyways......eh........the action stuff that they showed looked interesting, but basically it looks to me like another ``defend your homeland`` sort of movie (except the guy technically isn`t from there). I just imagine that whole thing full of cheesy dialogue for all the alien parts, especially the romantic segments and whatnot.

Some of the stuff looks like it`s really out of Halo. During the aerial battle, it really, really looked like Hornets were flying around.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Dany

This movie was made for IMAX 3d and seeing a trailer on your computer that is not even hd will not do he film justice. The movie looks great. Saturation of color is likely the reason people are disappointing. 16 of avatar will be screened tonight for those who has tickets and from the word of those who have seen it come new zealand is that this film will rock you socks off!

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead
@LiquidPrince said:
So you're saying Aliens, one of the finest action films of all time, is bad because it's about aliens? Also, I think it's funny how gamers are omplaining that this generation has seen a lot of games that are all brown and realistic then when this film comes out and has a colourful and artistic alien race, everyone complains because it looks like 'a video game.'
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Vecta said:
" @zombie2011 said:
" @LiquidPrince said:

You guys have something wrong with your eyers. Both District 9's and Avatar's CGI are done by the same special effects development studio(Weta Studios) and Weta has more money to work with on Avatar then it did for District 9. The CG looks absolutely fine. But then Im guessing you dislike it because of the over saturation of colours in the "new world", but then Im sure for the majority of movie goers that wont be a problem at all, if the western worlds most popular exclusive video game is anything to go by. "
Absolutely fine doesn't cut it for me. There are benchmarks and milestones in visual effects. Matrix, Transformers, so on, and once they have set the tone for new levels of realism, just "fine" like I said, isn't enough. No, I have no problem with the colours. In fact that is one reason why it looked okay. I have problems with the plastic textures, that just don't loo real.

@HandsomeDead:
Yeah, I don't like Aliens, the movie, but that's not because I think that specific movie is bad. I never said that. I said most movies that do aliens, don't do it well, and I just don't really like the concept. And I never said it looked like a video game.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#15  Edited By Vinchenzo

This movie looks so bad.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Osaladin

Hmm, not what I was expecting from all the hype.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187

DOOD, FUCK YES!!!  SO PSYCHED!!! 

Anyone that honestly DOUBTS James Cameron is a fucking fool.  Without throwing up the obvious hatred for Titanic and without bringing up Pirahna II...what bad movie has this man made? 

-_-  Case closed.  Whether you like the CGI or not, this movie WILL be fucking awesome!  The master of sci-fi/action filmmaking is not disappointing me so far. 

@LiquidPrince: CGI doesn't have to be about realism.  It has to be about fitting with the movie.  From what I saw, it fit the movie.  If you are looking for realism, go enjoy hearing a joke about someone's nuts every 10 seconds in Transformers 2. 

Also, folks...remember that this movie WAS DESIGNED FROM THE GROUND UP with 3D in mind.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By yakov456
@jakob187 said:
" DOOD, FUCK YES!!!  SO PSYCHED!!! 

Anyone that honestly DOUBTS James Cameron is a fucking fool.  Without throwing up the obvious hatred for Titanic and without bringing up Pirahna II...what bad movie has this man made? 

-_-  Case closed.  Whether you like the CGI or not, this movie WILL be fucking awesome!  The master of sci-fi/action filmmaking is not disappointing me so far. 

@LiquidPrince: CGI doesn't have to be about realism.  It has to be about fitting with the movie.  From what I saw, it fit the movie.  If you are looking for realism, go enjoy hearing a joke about someone's nuts every 10 seconds in Transformers 2.  Also, folks...remember that this movie WAS DESIGNED FROM THE GROUND UP with 3D in mind. "
I thought "The Abyss" was a huge pile of shit. So I am a fucking fool then, because this movie looks not so good to me.
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheGremp
@LiquidPrince said:

"Most movies involving aliens suck and not only that but I expected more from Mr.Cameron."

District 9 would like to have a word with you. 

Also, you don't seem to understand how huge this technology is...  It's going to be a big turning point in CG.  They can render the Na'vi counterparts of the actors in real time, meaning that as they're filming, Cameron can look at a screen and see what the CG is going to look like. 

The fact that they can take any dude and turn him into a Na'vi instantly is pretty amazing, and is going to become a big part of CG-heavy movies in the near future.  Cameron is also working on implementing reality augmentation, in which he can see the CG surroundings and creatures, such as the forests and dragons in the shots, meaning that directors can see something near the final image of the scene the second that it's recorded. 

If that's not a benchmark in CG, I don't know what is.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#20  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I can already predict where the plot of this movie is going to go... but at least it looks nice.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince
@TheGremp said:
" @LiquidPrince said:

"Most movies involving aliens suck and not only that but I expected more from Mr.Cameron."

Also, you don't seem to understand how huge this technology is...  It's going to be a big turning point in CG.  They can render the Na'vi counterparts of the actors in real time, meaning that as they're filming, Cameron can look at a screen and see what the CG is going to look like.  The fact that they can take any dude and turn him into a Na'vi instantly is pretty amazing, and is going to become a big part of CG-heavy movies in the near future.  Cameron is also working on implementing reality augmentation, in which he can see the CG surroundings and creatures, such as the forests and dragons in the shots, meaning that directors can see something near the final image of the scene the second that it's recorded.  If that's not a benchmark in CG, I don't know what is. "
Who cares if they can transform them real time. That is just for the director to get an idea of how it will look. The final render will most likely be much different. If you think that they are rendering in real time something that will be final render quality you have to be joking. For example, using a REAL CG milestone, each frame of Transformers 2 took anywhere from 24 to 72 hours depending on whether it was a regular 32mm shot or a IMAX shot. There's no way that can be shown real time and look good. As for District 9, I'm seeing it tomorrow so I'll see.
Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Toxin066

I hope this movie has a theme song on par with "My Heart Will Go On."

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By spankingaddict
@Meowayne said:
" The new Heavy Rain footage impressed me more. :| "
haha i agree 100%
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By c1337us

Everything I had heard about this movie didn't really interest me. This trailer has done nothing for my expectations of it.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By gingertastic_10

I find myself really wanting to see this. It looks very original.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jakob187
@LiquidPrince: Um...Liquid, that's actually EXACTLY what he's saying.  It would be an actual render of the CGI character in real-time as progress is being made.  The animation shops would be working in direct and synchonized tandem with the filmmaker.  Any progress that is made on the CGI characters would instantly be available to the director, resulting in what would essentially be a live CGI performance.  The technology behind it is quite astounding, actually.  As for whether you like the trailer or not, you already said that you don't like most movies involving aliens, so what does your opinion honestly matter at this point? 

@ArbitraryWater: What, that's a bad thing?  Just because a movie follows a traditional plot style, that means it's going to be awful?  Everything has to be completely new and unique and original in order for it to be good or even great?  Someone sounds like Crispin Boyer. 

@yakov456: The Abyss didn't suck.  The ending sucked.  Also, I would suggest watching the director's cut of the movie, as it is generally considered by both Cameron and fans to be the movie that The Abyss should've been all along.  Regardless, though...man, that ending...nonetheless, the ending doesn't mean the other two hours were bad at all. 

As for this, I don't see where all the hatred is coming from.  Maybe it's the dislike that people have for 3D movies and the eye strain that they cause...although this is supposed to be using a different and more advanced form of 3D technology for it.  Maybe it's just so soon after District 9, which people are heralding as some kind of fucking Messiah (it was a good movie, and that's about it).  Maybe people have forgotten how great James Cameron is with sci-fi and action because all they can remember is the mammoth movie that was Titanic.  Nonetheless, to discredit a guy that puts his blood, sweat, and tears into a movie in order to make sure that it is EXACTLY what he wants (note - the movie has taken four years to make, while he's been working on the story since Aliens)... 

I don't know.  I guess I'm just saddened by a seemingly pretentious base of young moviegoers nowadays.  This looks like it'll be exactly what it needs to be:  a great story with great action and great drama set in a decently original sci-fi setting and ideal. 

At least it's not all gray and brown. 

And before ANYONE tries to say it:  fuck you, True Lies is the SHIT!!!
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Dany

Trailer does not do the movie justice!

After going to avatar day, i am reassured and so is the majority of the people

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jakob187
@Dany said:

" Trailer does not do the movie justice!  After going to avatar day, i am reassured and so is the majority of the people "

So I've heard!!!  I wish I could've seen it.  =  (  I've watched the trailer at least 30 times today already, and I can only imagine how awesome it is in 3D.  I've heard that the dialogue was a bit meh, but then again...T2 was dated when it comes to dialogue as well. 

Also, I've found that a lot of the suggestions people have had for viewing this trailer are true:  don't just view it once or twice.  You've gotta get used to the motions of the Na'vi, the way that things are.  I mean, this is set in a high fantasy/sci-fi setting that is not typical of what we usually see.  With any type of high fantasy, you cannot simply partake in it only once and even try to comprehend it, as your brain is trying to tell you "that's not real".
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheGremp
@LiquidPrince said:
" @TheGremp said:
" @LiquidPrince said:

Also, you don't seem to understand how huge this technology is...  It's going to be a big turning point in CG.  They can render the Na'vi counterparts of the actors in real time, meaning that as they're filming, Cameron can look at a screen and see what the CG is going to look like.  The fact that they can take any dude and turn him into a Na'vi instantly is pretty amazing, and is going to become a big part of CG-heavy movies in the near future.  Cameron is also working on implementing reality augmentation, in which he can see the CG surroundings and creatures, such as the forests and dragons in the shots, meaning that directors can see something near the final image of the scene the second that it's recorded.  If that's not a benchmark in CG, I don't know what is. "
Who cares if they can transform them real time. That is just for the director to get an idea of how it will look. The final render will most likely be much different. If you think that they are rendering in real time something that will be final render quality you have to be joking. For example, using a REAL CG milestone, each frame of Transformers 2 took anywhere from 24 to 72 hours depending on whether it was a regular 32mm shot or a IMAX shot. There's no way that can be shown real time and look good. As for District 9, I'm seeing it tomorrow so I'll see. "
If you don't care about reality augmentation and realtime rendering, then you don't care about the progression of technology in movies.  This is a first time thing, and it's going to be used in movies by several big time directors, as Cameron has shown and shared the technology with names like Peter Jackson and George Lucas.  The ammount of effort put into Transformers 2 is neat, I guess, but it's not going to help the industry in any way, as it didn't provide any new technology to be used for years to come. 

Real-time rendering also greatly increases the animation quality, as it perfectly mirrors the movement of the original actor.  You can see this when he says "This is great." in the trailer.  When I saw that facial expression, my jaw dropped.  The level of realism that can be achieved in films has gone and will go way up because of this movie.
Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Goddamn! Now I know why people are excited.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LiquidPrince
@jakob187 said:
" @LiquidPrince: Um...Liquid, that's actually EXACTLY what he's saying.  It would be an actual render of the CGI character in real-time as progress is being made.  The animation shops would be working in direct and synchonized tandem with the filmmaker.  Any progress that is made on the CGI characters would instantly be available to the director, resulting in what would essentially be a live CGI performance.  The technology behind it is quite astounding, actually.  As for whether you like the trailer or not, you already said that you don't like most movies involving aliens, so what does your opinion honestly matter at this point? 

Matters just as much as yours, if not more, because I want to see an alien movie that impresses me. Also, the technology you talked about is impossible, and if it was possible, it would probably be the reason the aliens in Avatar look so unrealistic, and cartoony.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LiquidPrince
@TheGremp said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @TheGremp said:
" @LiquidPrince said:

Who cares if they can transform them real time. That is just for the director to get an idea of how it will look. The final render will most likely be much different. If you think that they are rendering in real time something that will be final render quality you have to be joking. For example, using a REAL CG milestone, each frame of Transformers 2 took anywhere from 24 to 72 hours depending on whether it was a regular 32mm shot or a IMAX shot. There's no way that can be shown real time and look good. As for District 9, I'm seeing it tomorrow so I'll see. "
If you don't care about reality augmentation and realtime rendering, then you don't care about the progression of technology in movies.  This is a first time thing, and it's going to be used in movies by several big time directors, as Cameron has shown and shared the technology with names like Peter Jackson and George Lucas.  The ammount of effort put into Transformers 2 is neat, I guess, but it's not going to help the industry in any way, as it didn't provide any new technology to be used for years to come.  Real-time rendering also greatly increases the animation quality, as it perfectly mirrors the movement of the original actor.  You can see this when he says "This is great." in the trailer.  When I saw that facial expression, my jaw dropped.  The level of realism that can be achieved in films has gone and will go way up because of this movie. "
The technology is impressive, however, it isn't going to be final render quality so like I said, it is to give an example to the director nothing more. Also, we already have technology that mirrors human movement. It's called mocap. This is, I guess, a more advanced version of that.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By brukaoru

Wow. It almost makes me want to go to the theater to see this... almost. :P Will wait for the DVD release!