Game Job Interview Advice

Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jaserno

I have a job interview in a store called Game (for those of you not from Britain or unfamiliar, it's a game shop) on Thursday and I'm just wondering what the GB Community feel are positive tips for someone who is going for a job in said store. I have had 3 jobs in the past but none of them remotely familiar with that of Game, except they were all retail. So I have retail experience and would you know, I'm a gamer. So, any help and advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.    

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

Talk about Harry Potter and British Culture, I'd do the same if I was in your shoes.  Show them you understand British culture and you are suited for the job, and tell them profits over service. 

Let them know about SWOT, and Six Sigma...you will get the job.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Branthog

I've shopped in a few game stores a few times over the years, here in the states. It seems that you shouldn't have a problem and are more than qualified if you have a pulse and can say "would you like to pre-order [blah]?".

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BraveToaster

Wear the skin of dead orphans to your interview.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#5  Edited By Soap

Have no interest in games and just tell them your there to make as much money of thick people as possible, they will eat that shit up.

I worked for Game for a while, seriously the definition of a money hungry soul sucking store that couldn't give a shit about there customers.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Jambones
@Axxol said:
" Wear the skin of dead orphans to your interview. "
Yeah, wearing living orphans would just be awkward. But aside from that, I think showing you are personable and friendly as well as knowledgeable show net a few brownie points from your potential employer. 

I haven't been in Game for over a decade (moved to the U.S.). I had no idea they were still about.
mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By mattbodega

Ultimately, though your game knowledge and passion will indicate that you're knowledgeable about the product, I'll bet your retail experience will be a hell of a lot more useful in your interview. It's probably to your benefit to emphasize the skills that are most pertinent to ; that you're courteous and respectful, on time and commuted to work, and so on.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Jeust
@MattBodega said:
" Ultimately, though your game knowledge and passion will indicate that you're knowledgeable about the product, I'll bet your retail experience will be a hell of a lot more useful in your interview. It's probably to your benefit to emphasize the skills that are most pertinent to ; that you're courteous and respectful, on time and commuted to work, and so on. "
Great advice!
Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pessh

Talk more about retail experience, less about games. GLHB.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do this:  

Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jaserno
@Jambones said:
" @Axxol said:
" Wear the skin of dead orphans to your interview. "
Yeah, wearing living orphans would just be awkward. But aside from that, I think showing you are personable and friendly as well as knowledgeable show net a few brownie points from your potential employer.  I haven't been in Game for over a decade (moved to the U.S.). I had no idea they were still about. "
Maybe not this time regarding the skin of dead orphans, I don't think it's quite what they are looking for. Yeah they are alive and well over here, one of the biggest retail chains in Britain I think. I will just be friendly and charming, but without seeming like I'm kissing their arses. @MattBodega said:
" Ultimately, though your game knowledge and passion will indicate that you're knowledgeable about the product, I'll bet your retail experience will be a hell of a lot more useful in your interview. It's probably to your benefit to emphasize the skills that are most pertinent to ; that you're courteous and respectful, on time and commuted to work, and so on. "
Yeah I believe this is the best advice one can ask for. I have always tried to play up the skills that I have with retail experience and customer care so I think that will help me a lot more than my gaming knowledge. I think that will just come as a bonus, after-all, it is a business and they need effective, friendly staff. I feel I may be what they are looking for. I will read through all their information on their website, again, to make sure I can portray myself as what they describe as their perfect employee. I already have a bit of knowledge about the company so that should go down a treat, and I will also reread my cv just so I don't stutter when they ask me about my personal skills.  
 Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it. 
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By foggel

First impression is key. Look slick, smell good, firm handshake, good eyecontact. Make a good impression the first 10 seconds, and you have a good shot at getting the job.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I had an interview at Game a few years back. When they ask you which is more important and give you a list of three things, DONT SAY KNOWLEDGE. I got it wrong lol. The answer was customer service I think.

He didn't like it when I shat on that idea by pointing out that knowledge leads to better customer service and that the three options he gave me were all interrelated to the oint that they were the same thing though.

Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jaserno
@GunslingerPanda said:
" I had an interview at Game a few years back. When they ask you which is more important and give you a list of three things, DONT SAY KNOWLEDGE. I got it wrong lol. The answer was customer service I think.  He didn't like it when I shat on that idea by pointing out that knowledge leads to better customer service and that the three options he gave me were all interrelated to the oint that they were the same thing though. "
They are going to try to pull a Tesco style interview where they give you conflicting ideas but closely related. I hate it when they do that. I'll go with whatever makes me sound better than the other candidates. Did you get the job?
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GunslingerPanda
@Jaserno said:
" @GunslingerPanda said:
" I had an interview at Game a few years back. When they ask you which is more important and give you a list of three things, DONT SAY KNOWLEDGE. I got it wrong lol. The answer was customer service I think.  He didn't like it when I shat on that idea by pointing out that knowledge leads to better customer service and that the three options he gave me were all interrelated to the oint that they were the same thing though. "
They are going to try to pull a Tesco style interview where they give you conflicting ideas but closely related. I hate it when they do that. I'll go with whatever makes me sound better than the other candidates. Did you get the job? "
Nope, despite being told I'd be offered it, I never got the phone call. Happened with Blockbusters around the same time, too.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iam3green

well good luck with that.  i hope you get it. you just have to look good also. 

i actually have an interview from an internship. internship sucks since they were the only people that said to come in for an interview.

Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jaserno
@GunslingerPanda said:
" @Jaserno said:
" @GunslingerPanda said:
They are going to try to pull a Tesco style interview where they give you conflicting ideas but closely related. I hate it when they do that. I'll go with whatever makes me sound better than the other candidates. Did you get the job? "
Nope, despite being told I'd be offered it, I never got the phone call. Happened with Blockbusters around the same time, too. "
That's shit. I hate it when potential employers screw you about.  

@iam3green said:
" well good luck with that.  i hope you get it. you just have to look good also.   i actually have an interview from an internship. internship sucks since they were the only people that said to come in for an interview. "
Good luck with the interview for your internship. Thanks duder
NarcotiXz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NarcotiXz

Yea I also had an interview for GAME but on Tuesday. 
They had a couple of stages where you could get knocked out. 
The first was a group stage where as the name suggests you would be organised into groups of 10+ people and have to do multiple exercises and answering questions blah blah blah 
The next was a stage where you had to partner up with someone and sell them a product whilst store managers would circle around and check how you're doing. 
Finally the last stage was a one-on-one interview. No hard questions, just a couple regarding different scenarios and once that was done they said they would let me know within 3 weeks. 

Good luck with yours :)

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Honestly I've known a couple of people who have worked in Game and it looks like a very cool job but I'd say most people I've seen working in Game probably aren't as knowledgeable or as passionate about games as a lot of people on these boards. I'm sure you're as into video games as just about everyone else here and that makes you the right man for the job, just make sure your employers know that and make sure they also know of your experience in the retail industry and of all of your other strengths.

Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jaserno

Thank you all for your help and advice. I don't feel that the interview went very well, I was with 13 other guys and we were all had to choose 5 random questions that we couldn't see and answer them. I don't think I did too well as I am not always the most confident of speakers and I go red quite easily. So that's what happened. But with any luck I go onto the next stage of their interview process and get a one-to-one interview with the manager there. Thanks again duders

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By me3639

customer service priority #1.

Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Tuggah
@MattBodega: you forgot to add the part were you masturbate into random game cases.