Game Spot GOTY

THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By THE_END

Can anyone explain to me how Game Spot can name Demon's Souls as their Game of the Year 2009?

Kevin Van Ord gave Dragon Age Origins (PC) a 9.5 and he gave Demon's Souls a 9.0.
Game Spot also gave Uncharted 2 and Braid both a 9.5.

Last time I checked 9.5 is a better score than 9.0 so WTF.  

Note: Don't take this the wrong way, I love Demon's Souls.....infact I put it in second place on my 2009 GOTY list.

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By K0rN

Forza 3 and Dragon Age also got a 9.5. Score doesn't determine everything.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

January 1st was 2 weeks ago.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel
@K0rN said:
" Forza 3 and Dragon Age also got a 9.5. Score doesn't determine everything. "
What he said.  If a game receives a lower score than other nominees, it doesn't mean that it's a worse game.
bartholomew999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By bartholomew999

It seems slightly odd, no offense,to be discussing this topic on Giantbomb.  I'm more than aware of the connection between Giantbomb and Gamepsot, it still feels a bit off.

Anyhoo, I can't help but think that the Demon's Souls pick for Gamespot proabably arose out of one of those weird group dynamics where people need to reach a concensus about something.  I haven't played DSouls yet though I don't doubt its awesomeness.  I do like non-AAA titles getting attention though.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By sopranosfan

What is amazing to me is how it didn't make the top 10 of anybody on this site....It didn't make the top 10 on any of the 10-20 editors on Game Informer and didn't win game of the year anywhere else that I can find at all.  I am not saying that I couldn't see somebody picking it as game of the year.  I just find it hard to believe that an entire staff agreed it was the best game when so few people put it in their top 10 or top 5 list.  But in my opinion they accomplished what they wanted....a month later people are still talking about it.

THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By THE_END
@K0rN: I don't know man.  That makes zero sense to me that they have a lot of games that scored higher than Demon's Souls but some how it won with a lower score.
K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By K0rN
@THE_END said:

" @K0rN: I don't know man.  That makes zero sense to me that they have a lot of games that scored higher than Demon's Souls but some how it won with a lower score. "

Maybe they thought it was more deserving? Take for example Assassin's Creed II won best Xbox 360 game even though it scored a 9.0 while Forza 3 had a 9.5.
THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By THE_END
@natetodamax: And your point is?  We can't talk about things here that happened greater than 2-3 weeks ago?  That doesn't make any sense at all.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Brendan
@THE_END said:
" @K0rN: I don't know man.  That makes zero sense to me that they have a lot of games that scored higher than Demon's Souls but some how it won with a lower score. "

One person reviews a game and gives it a score.  The entire team decides on GOTY.  Different processes and different opinions.
THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By THE_END
@Brendan:  Then how can you explain why Kevin Van Ord thinks Demon's Souls is the 2009 GOTY......BUT he is the one who gave Dragon Age Origins (PC) a higher score than Demon's Souls?
JesseJ79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JesseJ79

I don't know why it matters. What games are GOTY worthy is a matter of opinion, and GameSpot has lost all credibility in my eyes.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By breadfan

Review scores =/= game of the year.

snakeitachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By snakeitachi

well...... i respect gamespot by takeing the hard way by picking demons souls and not makeing the obivouis choice uncharted 2 dont get me wrong uncharted 2 is in my eyes is the GOTY of 2009 Hands Down.
vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By vasta_narada

A game being technically more proficient than another, and a game being more enjoyable than another are two separate things. For example, Persona 4 isn't the best game, mechanically, but it still got GB's 2008 game of 2009 award over something like Fallout 3 (not the best choice of example, but you know what I mean) because it was more enjoyable.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pause422

SH: Shattered memories got a better score on GB than New Super Mario Bros. Wii if I recall, but got Wii GOTY. Score doesn't mean shit in picking GOTY, that's all it comes down to. It isn't a single person choosing GOTY, like it is a single person reviewing a game.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By handlas

@pause422 said:

" Score doesn't mean shit in picking GOTY, that's all it comes down to. It isn't a single person choosing GOTY, like it is a single person reviewing a game. "

That's a really good point right there.

Plus you are complaining about 0.5 of a point.  I wouldn't even know how to determine what makes a game 0.5 better than another.
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By cstrang
@natetodamax said:
" January 1st was 2 weeks ago. "
Actually, they announced their GotY on Christmas.  So this is over 3 weeks old.
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By demontium
@THE_END said:
" Can anyone explain to me how Game Spot can name Demon's Souls as their Game of the Year 2009?

Kevin Van Ord gave Dragon Age Origins (PC) a 9.5 and he gave Demon's Souls a 9.0.
Game Spot also gave Uncharted 2 and Braid both a 9.5.

Last time I checked 9.5 is a better score than 9.0 so WTF.  

Note: Don't take this the wrong way, I love Demon's Souls.....infact I put it in second place on my 2009 GOTY list. "
The reviews don't matter since ALL the editors decide.