• 60 results
ashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By ashton

What are some game trends that annoy you, and that you would like to see come to an end? 3 obvious ones have been on my mind and I was wondering if anyone else was bothered with the same things I am.
 1) Putting  Zombies into a game because they are so in right now! (e.g. Call of Duty, Red Dead, Borderland, etc.)
2) Collectibles that mean absolutely nothing. (e.g. Alan Wake's coffee thermoses & can pyramids)
3) Adding multiplayer into a sequel to a game that had a great story because every game needs multiplayer right? (e.g. Bioshock 2, Dead Space 2)

What are some trends you all don't care for?

ashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ashton

What are some game trends that annoy you, and that you would like to see come to an end? 3 obvious ones have been on my mind and I was wondering if anyone else was bothered with the same things I am.
 1) Putting  Zombies into a game because they are so in right now! (e.g. Call of Duty, Red Dead, Borderland, etc.)
2) Collectibles that mean absolutely nothing. (e.g. Alan Wake's coffee thermoses & can pyramids)
3) Adding multiplayer into a sequel to a game that had a great story because every game needs multiplayer right? (e.g. Bioshock 2, Dead Space 2)

What are some trends you all don't care for?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Azteck

I don't mind zombies in Borderlands. That game is insane to begin with, doesn't come as a huge shock. 

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

Multilayer? 

I like my cake multi-layer.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Fallen189

Exclusives

Minus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Minus
@Fallen189 said:
" Exclusives "
this
ashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ashton
@Azteck: Yeah they fit well in Borderlands, it was just a recent example i thought of to illustrate the point that they are over saturated.

@Axxol:lol thanks. damn spell checker :P
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, where's Brotherhood for #3?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Azteck
@ashton said:

" @Azteck: Yeah they fit well in Borderlands, it was just a recent example i thought of to illustrate the point that they are over saturated. 

Ah I see. And I can agree. Personally, I'm pretty fed up with zombies. It's become the thing developers fall back on when they run out of ideas it seems. Even if they're well done, I just don't find them interesting (as you can tell, Dead Rising is right up my alley)
ashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ashton
@Video_Game_King: Yes! I just tossed out the first two recent ones that came to mind, especially after watching the DS2 multiplayer QL.
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By ESREVER

Content Exclusives for different platforms
One hit melee kills that take half-a-second to perform. 
In some games, Health Regen is not necessary. 

Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Steve_Ramirez

Music Rhythm games maybe...

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By FunExplosions
@Minus said:

" @Fallen189 said:

" Exclusives "

this "
I think I've finally understood this. People are making a game. They want it to be really good. They spend lots of time on it. It's hard to import a game from one system to another. They figure: Why waste time going through that? We've got other projects we want to work on, and we don't wanna trust some shitty publisher like Sega with the port. Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo want to give a team a bunch of money for an exclusive, and the development team gets to use the money to bolster their resources and prepare for their next project. 

Edit: Trend I hate: 

Not much of a trend, but I hate PC games that allow almost no customizability in the controls. It's such an easy thing to implement, and a huge help... to everyone. I don't understand it.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BraveToaster
@ashton said:  
@Axxol:lol thanks. damn spell checker :P "
Jokes aside, I do agree with you. For instance, many find the lack of multiplayer in Vanquish to be a problem. The game is so good that it doesn't have to rely on multiplayer to make it enjoyable.
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By MooseyMcMan

RUN BUTTONS.  

They need to die a horribly painful death. Almost ruined GTAIV, RDR, and Batman Arkhamd Asylum for me. 

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By finstern

Zombies for sure, I somewhat enjoyed Crackdown 1 and when I heard they were adding "zombies and freaks!!!" I was just like "ugh" I don't mind them in CoD so much because that was an entirely separate thing/joke mode that spun off and became successful in its own right but I think they really don't belong in RDR. 

I hate the hand holding in games nowadays, auto jumping from ledge to ledge is boring unless its high paced and there's multiple paths, otherwise its just shit in my way to make the game longer. Example of good ledges: AssCreed, basically free roam climbing. Bad: Enslaved, practically auto plays the parts if you hold the right direction and press A. 

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#16  Edited By alistercat

I don't think anything should be Taboo, as long as they can make it work. Red Dead has taken zombies in to something that didn't need it, but apparently has done a good job with working them in to the fiction. It shouldn't be off limits just because some people can't ignore things they dont like.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MooseyMcMan said:
 Batman Arkham Asylum
Thanks for reminding me, I need to go play some of that.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iam3green

so many FPS. stop making FPS now there needs to be a rest. we have a lot of them, call of duty, halo, borderlands, bioshock, battlefield bad company. a lot of them off the top of my head. 

sequels are getting annoying now. it seems like every year a sequel is released. there really isn't anything new to the game beside small things. stop making sequels so close to each other. call of duty for example, they release a new one every year. make some new IP's developers. 

do not follow nintendo with motion controls. some people do not want motion controls as controllers are great. some people play video games to relax from studying or working. they do not want to be standing swinging their arms around. it seems like sony and microsoft are just  making motion controls to get more money. nintendo made a lot of money from their console.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#19  Edited By Grumbel

Leveling up, weapon upgrades and all those other RPG'ish stuff that now seems to slip into every game. I'd like games to be driven by their interesting story or exploration, not by a simplistic carrot-on-a-stick game mechanic.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#20  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I really agree about zombies and I agree with your point about multiplayer, although I think generally most people received the Bioshock 2 multiplayer as a surprisingly good addition to the game and the Dead Space 2 multiplayer at least looks to be doing some original things. I don't agree with your argument about collectibles because they don't really get in the way, I kind of like them myself but I'm not the kind of person who tries to get them all and collecting them is usually entirely optional. I think some other things that need to disappear are downloadables you can only get it you buy the game new, platform-exclusive content, annoying anti-piracy measures (DRM, games requiring you to be online to play), cheaply made casual games, cheaply made movie games and sequels for the sake of sequels.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jasta
@Lemon said:

" Music Rhythm games maybe... "

I second that.
SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Sorry guy, RDR and Borderlands Zombies are rock solid - they are/were not cheap cash ins.

As for my personal hate list (and I know they aren't going anywhere)
-Regenerating Health 
-Online Achievements (either cut em our or just unlock them when your servers go empty)
-Multiplayer being a requirement for every game put out

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By TheHBK

DLC that is not worth the price of admission compared to the rest of the game.  Imagine if you pay 80 bucks to get into disneyland but have to pay another 5 bucks to ride a new ride that just came out.  While there are like 20 other rides out there that came out just a month ago that you can ride without paying extra.... yeah.... 

All shooters are now super serious.  Bad Company 2 tried to take characters that were retarded to begin with and made them serious into a serious story. 
What the fuck happened to shooters that were just fucking wild and made no fucking sense?  MW2's story was crazy but man, does anyone remember Unreal Tournament?  That shit was just plain fun. 

Developers being pussies and trying to select the exact right moment to release a game.  Look, I understand that if you release a game with another hit then it might not have the sales you want, but typically, if your game is good and has appeal, then it will sell.  Why didn't Alan Wake sell so well?  Red Dead?  no, it didnt appeal to all asswipes.  I followed that game for a while and still didn't get why everyone had a boner for it.  Well not everyone since it didn't do as well as they wanted.  So just release your game when you can and if it is good we will buy it. 

Emo/hipster/douchebag characters.  Starkiller.  Cole from infamous.  Stop trying to get us to play as retards with crappy hair cuts. 

Japanese games being outdated.  I dont want all Japanese RPGS to be like Western ones, but come on, to give no character creation and still have fucking characters that make me feel like if people like that actually existed I would be a serial killer is a bit much.  Remember, you need us more than we need you. 

Brad dying all the time. 

People complaining about glitches in multiplayer games all the fucking time. Yes we get it, the game can be broken.  We all learned that in the matrix, the rules can be bent.  But man, fuck, thats what you get when you have millions of people play a game.  Lots and lots of possible outcomes will be played and glitches will be discovered.  If you, me and the guy next door played MW2, we would never find a fucking glitch and think the game was perfect.  But when you have little nerd bitches playing all the fucking time, you are bound to find something doesnt work. 

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SlightConfuse

i enjoyed the multiplayer in bioshock 2 alot  and it was compentent as well.  when devoplpers put the effort in to making their multiplater instead of just tackin on a few modes it works out well.  

i agree with the collectable thing they should offer some fiction or benefit to the player for finding them

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Console ports on the PC. Fucking gearbox.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zeforgotten

I have nothing against zombies in my call of duty game (Don't act like it's a new thing) 
Nazi Zombies is the most fun I've ever had with a Call of Duty game since online in CoD2 

Exclusives was already said, right?  
Hmm. I don't know then, dumb online achivements/trophies that them whores/hunters keep complaining about in emails and stuff?

HayFourZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HayFourZee

Silent protagonists.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#28  Edited By Grumbel

Moral choices. I am totally fine with having choice in games, but the nature in which your moral choices are divided into good and evil feels kind of like an insult to the player. I as a player want to see and feel the results of my choices instead of just having a game designer giving me "+5 evil point". Also having the choices be limited to the extremes of the spectrum often feels forced an unnecessary, I don't need to have every choice to make a big difference or really any difference at all, it can often be much more immersible to simple have the choice to say what you want without it being some world changing thing. 

Another related thing that I would like to see go: dialog choices that are hidden/unavailable due to skill points in some "intelligence" or whatever category. It feels completly forced and artificial, it was the game mechanic that nearly ruined Mass Effect 1 for me as it limited my character to really stupid dialog, while the bloody obvious one was grayed out. An earlier save and replaying an hour or so of the game solved that, but that was easily one of the worst gaming moments I ever had in an otherwise brilliant game.

seanwithoutyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By seanwithoutyou

@Lemon anything made after RB3 will be almost trivial

RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By RankRabbit

Less motion control 

MOAR ZOMBIEZ

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By FancySoapsMan

3rd person cover based shooters.

Seriously, the only kind of game I can't stand to play.

skadbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By skadbob

I'm surprised no one has said motion control yet. 

EDIT: someone said it!

ErrorOperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ErrorOperator

Was going to write a new thread about mine but I will just put it here, this has annoyed me for the past few years now... VIBRATING CONTROLLER WHEN USING A TURRET.

Every game has it, that certain sequence where it goes on rails and you control a turret shooting down enemies. Now why do the developers insist on making it vibrate while I shoot, after about 5 seconds of shooting I can no longer feel my hands. Before people say "JUST TURN OFF VIBRATION DUURRR", I have no problem with vibrating controllers itself, just the idiot constant vibrate that hurts your hands. Going to list a few recent-ish games guilty of this.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#34  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

By the second point, you mean Achievements/trophies, right? If so, I'm with you. They kind of makes sense in RPG type games where they are somewhat easter-eggy and give you XP bonuses, perks or traits like they were in Fallout 1, 2 and Borderlands, and are hidden until you unlock them. Getting a list of stupid stuff to do and having to do it all to "complete" the game is just awful.

As for multiplayer inclusion, I don't entirely agree - several games got fantastic by including co-op multiplayer in previously single player only franchises. System Shock 2 is an fantastic example of that - originally SS and SS2 were great games - but when they patched in co-op MP into SS2 it ascended from just being great to one of the most awesome multiplayer experiences ever to be had. Competitive multiplayer is another thing though.

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HypoXenophobia

Tutorials / tutorial levels. As a separate segment of the game, I think it's understandable. But as apart of the main game, I think it's distracting and diminishes from the experience. One can read the manual, be more deductive.

Simplifying controls. This is more geared towards EA. Skate 1-3 did something interesting by using the analog sticks to replace the buttons. But I really don't think it needs to be added to every other game. 

The usage of the phrase "Easy to learn, difficult to master". It's been said to the point that it has become trite.

Lack of skill required to play.

Essentially, my complaints are geared towards how easy video games have become. As a person who grew up playing Ghouls N Ghost, I enjoy a challenge. Instead most video games seem to be going the way of simplifying to reach the broadest audience. End of rant.

helios1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By helios1337

Protecting a NPC against waves of enemies while they hack/open a door for you. Then get killed after they walk through the door they just opened for you.

Icadae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Icadae

Pre-order content exclusives 
"Cheats" as DLC instead of Cheats 
Forced Multiplayer 
6 hour games at full price 
Gamebryo engine 
Children/Teens in my RPG's 
Annoying children/teens in my RPGS!!!

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't agree with less zombies, I love zombies.  I do agree with the multiplayer thing though.  If your game did well with just singleplayer before, why take a portion of your development time to make a multiplayer mode that probably won't be played by more than a few hundred people after the first month when instead you could dedicate that time to pleasing the people who bought your first game by crafting another great/lengthy singleplayer?  

Anyways, I hate lame quests that you have to do for people, such as "hai go kill 7 boars and get their intestines, not all boars have intestines though so be prepared to kill 25"  That's not exactly fun.  Quests should be more like Runescape's quests where you actually go on a mini-adventure for each quest.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Akeldama
@ashton said:
" ) 3) Adding multiplayer into a sequel to a game that had a great story because every game needs multiplayer right? (e.g. Bioshock 2, Dead Space 2)    
Those are both great examples of how to do multiplayer right. 
tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By tourgen

first-day DLC.  You want more than $60 for your game.  I get it.  It's still pretty shitty that I pay full retail but get a gimped version on release day.  Also pre-order DLC.
secondary logins for single player games (EA games mostly) Practically begging me to play the cracked version.
the lack of a good RPG or FPS Starship Troopers game infuriates me!  maybe someday...

I'm also pretty annoyed that I can't play DLC I bought in a single player game without a working XBoxLive connection.  I bought it, why do I have to be logged in to use it whenever I want?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ryanwho

Pre order game content bonuses, bonuses exclusive to specific stores. 

turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By turbo_toaster

Those are easily ignored, I'm thinking something more along the lines of stuff in a game you have to slog through in order to finish it. Escort missions and the like.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By luce

Releasing games in their beta stages

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By stinky
@HypoXenophobia said:
" Tutorials / tutorial levels. As a separate segment of the game, I think it's understandable. But as apart of the main game, I think it's distracting and diminishes from the experience. One can read the manual, be more deductive.  Simplifying controls. This is more geared towards EA. Skate 1-3 did something interesting by using the analog sticks to replace the buttons. But I really don't think it needs to be added to every other game.   The usage of the phrase "Easy to learn, difficult to master". It's been said to the point that it has become trite.  Lack of skill required to play.  Essentially, my complaints are geared towards how easy video games have become. As a person who grew up playing Ghouls N Ghost, I enjoy a challenge. Instead most video games seem to be going the way of simplifying to reach the broadest audience. End of rant. "

cant remember if i finished Ghouls N Ghosts.  
was a great game,  remember it being hard/punishing as most of that era were without save files.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ryanwho
@Turbo_Toaster said:

" Those are easily ignored, I'm thinking something more along the lines of stuff in a game you have to slog through in order to finish it. Escort missions and the like. "

This action game is not a platformer, but they wanted "platformer" as a bullet point. So here's a section where you attempt to platform with action game/shooter controls not at all designed for it. Enjoy!
xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By xMP44x
On-Disc DLC. I hate getting a game, and then being forced to shell out if I want content that is originally on the disc. Case in point: Onslaught for Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Look at the size of the download. It's not even 1MB, meaning that it's simply a method of enabling the content for use and that it's already on the disc. This is an incredibly dirty method of twisting the arms of a collective community, in my own opinion. People pay for their game, and they should be at least entitled to everything on the disc.

Pre-Order DLC. I bet you want that <content> here? Well, tough. You didn't pre-order from this retailer and therefore, you may not have it. Your DLC is indeed contained on the disc as well, and you'll be downloading a token for it. But you won't, because you did not pre-order the game here.  It's unfair if people live in an area where they may not have a branch of a certain retailer, meaning that they either have to resort to buying the code from eBay after release, using a friend's account to download it, or not receiving the DLC at all.
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Romination

I made this topic earlier this month... 

Aiming down the sights. I hate it most in games where it's physically impossible to miss someone, but since I'm not aiming down the sights, they escape unscathed. It takes too long (I know it's barely even a second) and slow the game.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanwho said:
" @Turbo_Toaster said:

" Those are easily ignored, I'm thinking something more along the lines of stuff in a game you have to slog through in order to finish it. Escort missions and the like. "

This action game is not a platformer, but they wanted "platformer" as a bullet point. So here's a section where you attempt to platform with action game/shooter controls not at all designed for it. Enjoy! "
Oh you mean like the spinning blades platforming part in DMC4 with keyboard movement?  That was fun!
fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#49  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
@Akeldama said:
" @ashton said:
" ) 3) Adding multiplayer into a sequel to a game that had a great story because every game needs multiplayer right? (e.g. Bioshock 2, Dead Space 2)    
Those are both great examples of how to do multiplayer right.  "
I have no idea about Dead Space 2, but you're right on with Bioshock 2, while it was certainly not a needed addition to the game, they incorporated the multiplayer mode into the game's canon, which I do think is awesome - it made perfect sense within the game world.
Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Rockdalf
@fisk0 said:
" @Akeldama said:
" @ashton said:
Those are both great examples of how to do multiplayer right.  "
I have no idea about Dead Space 2, but you're right on with Bioshock 2, while it was certainly not a needed addition to the game, they incorporated the multiplayer mode into the game's canon, which I do think is awesome - it made perfect sense within the game world. "
I would argue that Bioshock 2 was an unnecessary addition to the series in general, but I've purchased it for 360 and PC. T__T