User Lists: 7

Edited By nacho25

in order 5 to 1
5. turok
4. Lord of the Rings Return of the King
3. Naruto Ultimate storm
2. Marvel Ultimate Alliance
1. Mirrors edge

Mirrors edge gives an gaming experience like no other.

nacho25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By nacho25

in order 5 to 1
5. turok
4. Lord of the Rings Return of the King
3. Naruto Ultimate storm
2. Marvel Ultimate Alliance
1. Mirrors edge

Mirrors edge gives an gaming experience like no other.

Hausdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hausdog

If you're gonna start a thread, and this does seem like a good discussion topic, you should say a bit more about each game. If you must, tape record yourself talking about what your expectations were and how they were shattered for each game and then trim the fluff. It's what I've gotta do when I've got a big writing assignment I'm not looking forward to.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Well, come to think of it, I don't think I generally have this problem. Usually for me, it's the other way around. Games I thought I'd love but ended up hating. Anyway, here's a few that I liked a lot more than expected.

- Fallout 3 (I was really disappointed with Oblivion, and thought the post-apocalyptic setting looked boring. Plus I thought the VATS system looked pretty bogus. Well, now I can safely say that I love the game and it's one of my favorites from 2008.)
- Animal Crossing (I don't know if thought I'd actually hate it, but there's no way I could have ever guessed I'd love it so much)
- The Godfather (Considering it was EA, I wasn't expecting it to be too hot. It ended up being pretty great)
- Scarface: The World is Yours (It got some mixed reviews, and kinda looked like a GTA rip-off. This game has some issues, but it also has several great ideas, and I thought it was a lot of fun with a totally underappreciated soundtrack.)
- Paper Mario (Never been a fan of RPGs, but games like this, Pokemon, and KOTOR proved to me that RPGs can actually be good games. Who would have thought?)
- Resident Evil remake (I only thought I'd hate it because I'm a wuss and get scared easily. Well, I still did get scared. Really scared. If it wasn't for the grenade launcher cheat, I never would have beat this game. Even being nearly invincible with that thing, I was still terrified out of my mind. Well, despite that, it was an undeniably great game. I'm glad I gave it a chance. If it wasn't for this game, who knows, perhaps I would have never played the utterly amazing RE4.)

That's all I can come up with. Generally I try to keep an open-mind when it comes to new games, so I don't think it's too common for me to assume I'll hate one.

Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Kinarion

Wii Sports - that game sucks the cool right out of me every time I play it.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By c1337us

I am not sure I have this "problem" too often. If I think I am going to hate a game I usually have a pretty good idea. A couple of games that didnt review well that I got dome fun out of on a rental recently were:

-Kane and Lynch
-Army of Two
-Alone in the Dark
-XIII (going back a ways now)

I can really think of any more at the moment. And all those games didnt review well for pretty compelling reasons but I liked them alright.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By REDRUN

-DDR
-Guitar Hero
-Persona 3
-Ico
-Puzzle Quest

KingOfIceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By KingOfIceland

Here are mine:

Fable II: I did not like Fable 1 at all and given Moneymew's stellar track record of talkin mad hype about his games without fulfilling 80% of what he said so I had no hopes for this game.
I was wrong. Very, very wrong.

Braid: Leading up to it's release, all I saw was a Super mario clone with TIME TRAVLAN POTIONZ (and most games with that mechanic did nothing interesting with it) and a good ammount of undeserved indie hype slathered all over it. But I aparently missed the part where it played great, used it's limited game mechanics in and smart, meaningfull way, had superb level design and story that was actually kinda interesting.

skate..... or is it SKATE?......... Skate: Me+Skating= no thanks. The real "sport" of skating doesn't interest me in any way and the Tony Hawk games did nothing for me. But lo and behold, for some reason I'm loving the hell out of SKATE and I do not know why.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Red

I don't buy games I think I'd hate, and when I do, I end up hating them.

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By ShadowKiller

The only thing in recent memory was I picked up Fallout 3 simply because I had no other games to play at the moment. I was pretty disappointed in what I seen first but it quickly grew on me.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By penguindust
Red said:
"I don't buy games I think I'd hate, and when I do, I end up hating them."
Yeah...why would you play a game you think you are going to hate?  Well, okay, I did hate the demo of Burnout Paradise, but I tried the game because I kept hearing the actual game was much much better than the demo.  So, in that instance I expected that it would be better although I was still cautious.  But, I can't remember loading up a game and thinking, "oh, man, this is going to suck" and proceeding anyway.  And, I don't mean "suck" in a kitschy so-bad-it's-good way.  Stormrise is a game that looks overly complicated and has received poor reviews from many sites I respect.  I have no plans on trying it, because, unlike Onechanbara, it doesn't even look craptacularly fun.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By raven_squad

I can't honestly think of a single game I've played I went into thinking it would suck, then ended up loving it. Not a single one.