• 134 results
Double0hFor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Double0hFor

For me its Fallout 3. Everything I read on it is always amazing but for some reason I just can't get into it.

Don't know why though, I love RPGs.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Feanor

Most indie games

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Call of Duty (and other war shooters).
Play one, you've played them all is how they feel to me.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mrpandaman

Assassin's Creed, the first one.

The first AC is like one of the games where I just completely stopped, because I got really bored.

I would say ACII as well, but yeah it's a huge improvement over the repetitive first one.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#5  Edited By Slag

@Feanor said:

Most indie games

this and

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Call of Duty (and other war shooters). Play one, you've played them all is how they feel to me.

But I'm sure games I like are probably over rated in other people's eyes too.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
@Slag: Yep, but since the title was "Games that get high praises but you don't like too much" I can say what I want. :P
I just don't see the level of improvement in the games that warrant their praise.

Besides I find it freaking hilarious that some games get bashed when they get their first sequel and get called out for being largely the same as the original.
I mean, I've played most of the Call of Duties and besides some smoother aiming and new guns I really did not notice enough differences to say I wasn't playing the new installment of the exact same game.
Doesn't mean its bad, just not my thing.
ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShaggE

Zelda games come to mind. They just don't do it for me. Every so often I try to give them another shot, but to no avail.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Strife777

Half-life. I never really got what everybody loved about those games. Granted I never played the first one and didn't finish the second, so my opinion doesn't count that much. Actually, anything Valve has done other than Portal 1 and 2 (I'm not saying they're a bad developer by any means.)

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Grissefar

AC 2. To me that game sucks a somewhat large dick, and most of the praise I hear is how much better it was than 1. But I didn't play 1.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#10  Edited By Slag

@TaliciaDragonsong: That's my mistake, Sorry about that.

my final comment was intended more for the OP as my general philosophy on caring about other people's opinions on games, no at you. But I can see I didn't do a good job making that clear to readers.

FWIW I agree with you on shooters which is all I meant by quoting you, They are fun, but I haven't felt excited about one in a decade or so for the reasons you describe. I used to play a lot of Goldenye, Quake II, Marathon 2 etc. Back then it seemed like new mechanics were coming out all the time and each game seemed meaningfully different than the last. But at sometime in the middle of last decade that seemed to stop and now most of them seem the same to me. I doubt I could tell Battlefield apart from Call of Duty by game footage alone.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Slag: Ha I usually respond if I'm quoted or such, can't help it! Point's there though.

I'll just leave this here and say that its about time for Timesplitters 4 to be made.
Out with the realism, in with the whacky stuff.
DBagalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By DBagalot

FF7

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

The Mass Effect series.

aLaxLuthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By aLaxLuthor

@Strife777: I can't blame you if you didn't like the second. I thought it was garbage. They present no motivation and very little story. I thought the first is one of the all time great's though.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Grillbar

zelda, mario gears of war, halo and i could go on. now i do understand why they are great games but i just dont find them interesting in any form yet

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Call of Duty (and other war shooters). Play one, you've played them all is how they feel to me.

while i do understand you point cant you really say that about pretty much all genres if your being that vaigh (yes its spelled wrong i know)

like if you have played one survival horror/driving simulator/medieval rpg/beat em up/ 3rd person shooter and so on you have played em all.

also can you think of any shooter that is not a war shooter cuz i really cant.

lastly i would say that im not trying to be an asshole towards you even though it might seem that way due to the way i have formulated this, and for this i am sorry

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#16  Edited By psykhophear
  • Mass Effect - played once and for me, it's an ok game. Don't understand what the hype is all about.
  • Call of Duty - I admit that the multiplayer is a lot of fun but I think people overpraise it way too often.
  • Half-Life: It's a great series but it lacks substance and yet, people can go great lengths explaining it's amazing.
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Grillbar: Timesplitters 1-3, Halo 1-3/etc, Metroid Prime (although that one's shaky between fps/adventure I'll admit) and The Darkness to name a few.
The thing that bothers me the most is that the game feels the same in how it plays, there's nothing game changing about the sequels and while that may be fine for some for me its too little.
I don't like the singleplayer and the multiplayer is same old same old to me, that leaves me with nothing really.

Other genre's, like the rpg you mentioned are often defined by how they play and their story which pulls me in way more than a couple of new maps for CoD do.
Where one RPG might have real time combat, others will have turn based and yet others have a whole different approach to combat (card battles, quick time battles, whatever).
But if I play a war shooter it'll be me and a gun all the way to the end, with no story to interest me and no fun multiplayer to play because the novelty's worn off.

So yeah, not saying they're bad but they offer me too little personally and technically, so I can't understand why some games get bashed for doing their thing multiple times and get bad scores for it while CoD and its brothers pump out every year and add too little to notice.
If Black Ops didn't have the ballistic knife I would have returned it to the store, but it turns out run-dive-knife-sniping is freaking fun to do.
But that only reminded me that this game isn't about that, and that we have a sore lack of silly fps games (Serious Sam's trying, but its not there).

Your message was fine and no offense taken, freedom and speech and such! ;)
Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mageman

@Double0hFor said:

For me its Fallout 3. Everything I read on it is always amazing but for some reason I just can't get into it.

That's because it is shit, don't let the paid reviews fool you. Go play New Vegas instead.

Anyway for me it would be Bastion I guess, I just found it boring and the narration annoying.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By maginnovision

I'd say AC series, Most third person games(uncharted, gears, mostly the shooters I think), indie games. Sure there are more I'm just so tired.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheHumanDove

Zelda

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jay444111

@Mageman said:

@Double0hFor said:

That's because it is shit, don't let the paid reviews fool you. Go play New Vegas instead.

Anyway for me it would be Bastion I guess, I just found it boring and the narration annoying.

I think it is awesome... along with Fallout New vegas... But I do like New Vegas way more.

Wonloong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wonloong

Most Ubisoft games due to their weirdly disproportionate character designs. There's just something about the shoulders to the character's feet that's off-putting to me.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24  Edited By granderojo

ARMA II. All my friends told me to buy that game. Controls like complete ass and mods are overrated to shit.

Sam and Max Season 3. Big adventure game fan, thought i'd like this but was really disappointed. Puzzles seemed more tedious than in the olden days, which was frustrating considering they clearly had the ability to streamline the process.

Darksiders. I enjoyed this game don't get me wrong but I thought the fighting system was excruciatingly simple and boring as a result. Games that got hopelessly shit on like Dante's Inferno, of hack and slash genre, are undeniably better than anything Darksiders put forward in that department.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25  Edited By impartialgecko

Kinect Games.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zeushbien

Darksiders

Uncharted

Goldeneye

Gears of War

Batman: Arkham City

Vestigial_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vestigial_Man

Limbo is one of the worst games I've played this generation but it was incredibly highly rated. It looked okay but any atmosphere was killed by shitty puzzle design a lot of which was caused by the art style. I understand why it receives praise for its visuals but the rest of it was undeserving of any of the accolades it was awarded.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BradBrains

Most games really. Though im extremely picky

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Karl_Boss

Most Western RPGs

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

- Half-Life series - too much platforming, vehicles control badly, it makes me dizzy.
- Battlefield 3 - instant deaths, stupid weapon progression makes my guns suck/higher ranks awesome, vehicles control poorly. 
- GTAIV - that game was just boring, "Hey Roman, let's hang out and watch some TV!" 
- COD series - I loved COD 4: MW's single player, but hated the MP and stories from then on.  
- Burnout: Paradise: I love other Burnout games, but I just don't like the open-world racing.  
- Bastion - I just don't get what was so amazing about it?  
- Skyrim - It's just broken as with most Bethesda games. 

betterboulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By betterboulder

Minecraft - Doesn't click with me on any level.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NTM

Arkham City, Uncharted 2, and Skyrim. I loved Arkham Asylum, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Drake's Deception. I wouldn't call any of them bad, but for the most part, they were all pretty boring to me; simply not compelling enough.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NTM

@Psykhophear: The first Mass Effect, or the other ones as well? It takes a lot of time to get into the first ME, but after you get through it once, then play two, you'll definitely want to go back through the first one and you'll eventually like it more than you initially had.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AngelN7

This is like the 5th time I see a "Popular games you hate" thread ... make a thread about liking stuff for once!

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bell_End

@Psykhophear said:

• Mass Effect - played once and for me, it's an ok game. Don't understand what the hype is all about.
  • Call of Duty - I admit that the multiplayer is a lot of fun but I think people overpraise it way too often.
  • Half-Life: It's a great series but it lacks substance and yet, people can go great lengths explaining it's amazing.

what do you mean by it lacks substance. that just sound like a well worn internet trop

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By cutyoface

The Batman games by Rocksteady.

vince_kupo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By vince_kupo

Most indy games and the 3d Zeldas OOT and up. I just prefer A link to the past, for me it's not the same genre at all.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Cloudenvy

Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mandude

There are plenty of highly praised games I don't like. I'm just not really into them.

One thing I don't understand though is Borderlands. It's not as though I don't love FPSs, and it's not as though I don't love RPGs, but that game fell far short of the mark for either genre, to me. I wish someone could explain it to me.

betterboulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By betterboulder

@mandude: 6.5 BILLION GUNZ!!

Actually whenever I hear about it people are usually praising the co-op aspect so maybe it's a different experience then.

theslothking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By theslothking

Half-Life, Fallout, Duke Nukem, COD, Metal Gear, Vanquish, and Bayonetta. I'm sure I'm missing some others.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mandude

@betterboulder: But really there were only 5 guns in 6.5 billion colours.

I played it co-op as well. LAN party style (the best kind of style). It was still kinda shallow.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Xeirus

@Mageman said:

@Double0hFor said:

Oh god, I feel sorry for you sir. I would be curious what games you actually like if you didn't like Bastion...

Also, if someone doesn't like Fallout 3 they won't like New Vegas, they are copy/pastes of each other.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By kgb0515

I'm going to go with anything Zelda after Ocarina of Time. Not that I didn't like Twilight Princess or Syward Sword, but I didn't see anything that really shook the foundations of the Zelda formula enough to make them great games.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mandude

@Xeirus: Not true. New Vegas has entirely different pacing (it actually has some), and has far superior dialogue, which are two things that are fairly essential in an RPG.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By hippie_genocide

@adam1808: What Kinect games got high praise?

World of Warcraft - I can acknowledge the game is well made but it gets boring rather quickly. Most of the quests boil down to fetch X number of this random thing or kill X number of this enemy. Rinse and repeat ad nauseam.

Uncharted - I liked the 2nd and 3rd installments, but the first one to me is a legitimate bad game. Its just a boring corridor shooter with subpar shooting mechanics which makes for a pretty crap game. The game world and the plot set up nicely but it never makes good on that promise. There's very little in the way of exploring or puzzle solving. And maybe thats not something ND ever intended the game to be, but they probably should have. Exploring the ruins and finding rare artifacts could have been really fun, instead what we got was searching the levels in obscure corners of the map for a flickering pixel. And then, for some bizarre reason, they throw in this supernatural element and make you fight alien zombie monkeys at the game's climax. Um, yay?

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adam1808 said:

Kinect Games.

But nobody praises those. 
Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jack268

Any Bethesda game.

brownsfantb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 30

#49  Edited By brownsfantb

Grand Theft Auto and really any Rockstar game. For some reason I just get really bored with them and end up quitting. Which is weird because I've played the hell out of other open world games like Saint's Row and Skyrim.

The last Splinter Cell is another that comes to mind. I hated that game so much and it got mostly good reviews.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Xeirus

@mandude: I understand we're going to have different opinions in a thread like this. While I don't think either one are bad games, I stand by them being exact copies of each other.

I think a lot of it has to do with the engine they used for for all of those games, it's god damn terrible and ruined a lot of the game for me.