Games that get wrapped up in their own fiction

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By rapid

Like those games that just become so convoluted from their original plot. For example like Kingdom Hearts, with all its many prequels and orgins of Sora, the Nobodies, etc.  
 Conversely what would be series you think could use more extrapolating?
I think I would like to see Borderlands a bit more extrapolated myself. Your left with many questions and judging by the DLC there's plenty more of Pandora to explore.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By hicks91

borderlands is not about story 
just throwing that out there

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Djeffers03

I would say alan wake. Just finished it and the plot was kinda stupid. I understand it's fantasy but it was as if it was originally written by a professional and then picked up by a school kid half way through.

Hawker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Hawker

I'm just gonna go ahead and give the most obvious answer, MGS4, than ending alone...Gah. I managed to follow the whole series up to 3, absolutely loved it, but 4? Wasn't a fan at all

I wish the end of Persona 4 was elaborated on just a TINY bit more, I mean, I kinda understood it all but I was still left a little confused

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Red
@Djeffers03: Yeah, I'd say that the last hour--especially the ending--just got too wrapped up in itself, while the rest of the game was actually a pretty awesome and gripping tale.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

With the exception Virtua Fighter most fighting games have ridiculous background stories to set up the fact that it is just a bunch of dudes(and ladies) wanting to kick ass for the sake of kicking ass. Seriously how crazy is the fiction for Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and Tekken ? 

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Djeffers03
@Red: Yes absolutely, I think I over exaggerated saying "half way through" but certainly the last hour or two. 
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

You ever played a Capcom game?  Capcom games are a first entry which have excuse plots, and then sequels which try to turn everything into epic fiction, which just makes it as convoluted and insane as possible.  The best part are the fighting games which technically all have dozens of endings.  Try to actually get a concise explanation of Street Fighter mythology. 

You're absolutely right about Kingdom Hearts.  Just about any cutscene that isn't about friendship is as stupidly Japanese as humanly possible.

Metal Gear is also correct, but since Kojima is a genius, I can tolerate it.

This is probably the main reason why games like Final Fantasy and Zelda are still popular over 20 years after they were first released.  Every new game is some new plot, they just take the familiar elements and paste them in there.  There will be chocobos, Master Swords, crystals, Death Mountain, Phoenix Down and Cuccos.  Try to imagine if Final Fantasy was one story for the last 23 years.  Look how crazy and stupid Final Fantasy VII looks after all the supplemental releases, and that's only been out 13 years.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By jonnyboy

Resident evil. I've played all of them and I couldn't tell you how the fuck they manage to link all that shit together.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#10  Edited By markini6

The Halo series (especially number 3), in that they assume you understand all of what's going on. Half the time in Halo 3 during my first playthrough, I honestly had no idea why I was in a certain location or on a certain planet, and I still don't have a clue what that legendary ending at the end of ODST was about. That said, Master Chief is still awesome.

And now I realise how much of a Frat boy I sound. I've played the team ICO games and quite a bit of Persona 3, I swear :)

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic

im.. not sure what you're asking :\    

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Resident Evil wins this award. From originally being a series based on B horror movies with a touch of cheesy, they have managed to really muck up their own fiction with all the spinoffs and retcons that have been made. I blame Code Veronica, but that's just me.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Torrim

Resident Evil 4 did a good job of getting away from it's own fiction even if it reused a character, though Resident Evil 5 seemed to desperately try and come back to terms with it's fiction.  The timeline loading screens didn't make me understand the fiction more, it just made me like RE5 less.  Though, to be fair, I still really enjoyed the game.