• 75 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I gave Alpha Protocol a second chance this weekend. I hesitated on buying it for the longest time, and then there were a few threads here on Giant Bomb where people really loved the game. Then it showed up on a Steam sale for a ridiculously low price, and I bought it. And played it. And absolutely hated it.

I didn't get any further than the starting area, because the controls were just too broken for me to continue. Moving was literally off and on. Mike would run or not run. Or silly crouch-walk or not silly crouch-walk. And only in eight directions, thanks to WASD. This was complicated with a camera that was too overly sensitive to make moving natural. I set the mouse sensitivity in the game all the way down. Then I set my mouse's sensitivity in Windows all the way down. And that didn't get me very far. So I uninstalled the game, taking comfort in the fact that I had only paid a few dollars for this game.

Then another thread popped up here that rekindled my interest in the game. So I gave it another shot, this time with a 360 controller plugged in. What a world of difference that made. I can actually play the game, instead of fight it. And I'm really enjoying the game so far, and I'm really glad that I gave it a second chance. Shooting is pretty terrible, but that's negated to some degree by being able to sneak up behind guards and judo chop them in their necks.

So, duders, what games are you glad you gave a second chance?

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nintendoeats

None that I can think of, but Alpha Protocol is baller-awesome.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Clonedzero

i'll probably get some shit for this. but mass effect 1.

when i first got my 360 i got like 6 games with it, mass effect being one of them. i played it for a bit, i think it was the first game i played on my 360 actually. got to the citadel and thought "meh, ill try some other games out". i didnt end up trying it again till like a year later, now its one of my favorite games this generation. i probably would have given it a better first chance if i didnt have a stack of other games i wanted to play sitting next to me.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Dingofighter

Alpha Protocol for me too, such a great game if you play it on easy and kinda just play it for the story.  
Bastion and Fez, didn't really like the demo/trial of those games but I bought them anyway and had a great time.  
Portal, I wasn't such a big fan of it when I first played it and stopped playing it when I got stuck. When I picked it up again it instantly became one of my favorite games.  

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Dagbiker

None, I show no mercy.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Lumines 

I played it once then I forgot about it for a long time. Then one night when I couldn't go to sleep I decided to give it another chance, and now I've played over 70 hours of it.

ogto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ogto

Golden Sun.

started it 3 times, and 3rd time i went all the way.

fuckin loved that game and am SOOO happy i gave it more than one try.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#8  Edited By Kidavenger

Gran Turismo 5, it was one of the games that got me to buy a PS3, and it was such a huge disappointment when it came out, I went back a year later and after downloading an endless number of huge patches, the game is actually pretty good now.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By BoG

Final Fantasy X would have to be my answer. I really, really disliked it the first time I played. I couldn't stand the characters. I got stuck on a boss, and just gave up. Last year, I decided I needed to finish it as part of my goal to finish every game in the series. I still don't like the characters, but it's a very well made game. I enjoyed it.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sambambo

Minecraft and Oblivion spring to mind.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

Eternal Darkness. I can't even remember why I didn't like it initially after a mate rented it for us. Whatever the reason, I'm just so glad that I randomly decided to buy it for myself a few months afterwards; one of the best games on the gamecube, and one of the best horror games out there in general.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I gave AP a second chance last week too, and while I enjoy almost everything it does or tries to do, the floaty and stupid looking character movement and 2002-esque environments make playing stealth really damn annoying.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By FLStyle

The Legend of Dragoon.

If I hadn't have bothered it wouldn't have become one of my favourite games of all time.

klimdeeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By klimdeeni

infamous and mass effect 2

I'll be giving dragon age origins a second chance in the near future. hopefully I'll be glad I did that too

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Animasta

Persona 2: Innocent Sin

the gameplay was so boring I stopped an hour in... then I got word that the story was amazing, so I soldiered through. glad I did, it's incredible (gameplay is still ass though)

Blackhebrew2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Blackhebrew2

Fallout New Vegas, I realised I had been playing it wrong the first time, I was playing to win, when I forgot about achievements and finishing the game, I began to immerse myself in it, and now it's one of my favourite games. Cleaning out entire bases with a sniper rifle is so hilarious, nobody notices the giant piles of headless bodies , Not one person begins to question the dude standing in the dark corner with a sniper rifle. Perfect example of Janky game design improving the overall quality of the game.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By mosdl

Alpha Protocol starts horribly, that first mission ugh.

I played like an hour of the original Witcher demo and didn't care too much for it. Only when Witcher 2 was announced and everyone professed their love for the original that I gave it a second look and then bought/finished the game.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By JTB123

The first inFamous, after my very first half hour with it I really wasn't very impressed. I have now played through it over a dozen times.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lockwoodx

I'm glad I gave RAGE a second chance and it's decent for what it is.
I'm also glad I got a refund for it, then bought it later for half off at a price more appropriate to the quality and content provided.

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By upwarDBound

Morrowind. I really didn't like it the first time I played it. Now it is one of my favorite games ever.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King

Earthbound, since it turns out that it had a ton of enjoyable personality to it.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Mass Effect. Got it for Christmas 2007 and picked the Infiltrator and never got past Eden Prime. Next summer I started over as a Soldier and loved every minute of that game.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dylabaloo

Call of Duty 4.

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By randiolo

@Kidavenger said:

Gran Turismo 5, it was one of the games that got me to buy a PS3, and it was such a huge disappointment when it came out, I went back a year later and after downloading an endless number of huge patches, the game is actually pretty good now.

this is accurate.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gargantuan

Bastion. Wasn't very impressed by the demo but I bought it anyway. It's now one of my favourite games.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Dead Space, the PC version. At first the controls fealt bad, I couldn't even kill the first monster. I was like: "Man, fuck this video game!". But after talking to my friends, they gave me the advice to turn off V-Sync. Totally worked and I'm glad about that, because that game is fucking awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alone in the dark (360)

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jrinswand

Mine is definitely The Witcher. I also abandoned Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl after about 4 or 5 hours several years ago, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to enjoy it more this time around.

vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By vivek
mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By mosespippy

Burnout Paradise. I did not like the demo at all. Then they added so much through updates. The game dropped to $30 bucks and later that week I found $50 on the sidewalk and figured I might as well grab it since it I had heard it was a pretty easy platinum trophy.

lil_cheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31  Edited By lil_cheeks

Lord of the Rings: War in the North. I bought it on the day it was released (had it pre ordered for months) and saw some pretty below average reviews on it. I shelved it and never touched it since I had other great games to play till 3 weeks ago. That game is very under rated, for anyone that is a fan of Dark Alliance 2, this is a great game.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GoofyGoober

Dead Space. Hated it at first, so glad I decided to go back and retry it.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GeekDown

Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Didn't like it at all the first time I played it, but decided to go back to it a few months later. I ended up really enjoying it, much more than I had anticipated.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DeathByWaffle

For some reason when I first got Oblivion I didn't like it very much, and barely played any of it. Like a year later I picked it back up and loved it, and it's still probably one of my favorite games of this generation.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Hizang

GTA IV.

When GTA IV came out I really disliked the controls and the direction they took the series (Realism over jet packs) so I ended up just messing with the multiplayer. I finally booted it up again about a few weeks ago, I finished it yesterday at 22 hours, really enjoyed that game.

Even so, I still think its overrated, not to many "wow" mission like there were in past GTA games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Final Fantasy 9, now my second favorite game

Oblivion

DDO

The Warhammer 40k games

The first KOTOR

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By csl316

God of War. Couldn't stand it the first time, but glad I got through to see the kick ass sequels.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#38  Edited By pyromagnestir

Majora's Mask. Made it to the water temple place the first time through, got stuck and didn't care. The second go round I used a guide find all the side stuff, so's I didn't go crazy, but I loved it.

I'm real close to cutting my first attempt at Saints Row 2 short and adding that to the list of games I need to give a second chance too, as the controls are terrible (ps3 version) driving with square and x buttons? R2 and L2 for shooting? Fuck you, game! Fuck you.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By hawkinson76

GTA 4, and I'm honestly not sure if it was worth it. I was satisfied with the ending, it sort of made up for the issues that made me stop playing, but more often than not the game was frustrating.

I also stopped Lost and the Damned a few hours in. The story is really interesting, but god damn that game feels like a pig nowadays. I wish I could at least play a smooth version on PC, but that port is awful and chugs on my system.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ravenlight

@MariachiMacabre said:

Mass Effect. Got it for Christmas 2007 and picked the Infiltrator and never got past Eden Prime. Next summer I started over as a Soldier and loved every minute of that game.

This is pretty much a point-for-point description of my experience with the first ME.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By nickux

Not just a game but a series- Assassin's Creed.

For some reason, the first time I played AC2 it just did not click for me. There was something about the way Ezio controlled that put me off. Often, he'd leap up a wall when all I wanted to do was chase down the guy in front of me. I burned out after several hours. However, I recently gave the series another shot with Brotherhood and I'm glad I did. Finished the game, went back and finished 2, and now I'm moving onto Revelations just in time for AC3. I love the world of these games more than the moment-to-moment gameplay. Traversal can be frustrating some times but I've gotten the hang of it now.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Karl_Boss

SSX.....Fallout 3 to a lesser extent.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#43  Edited By Little_Socrates

Mass Effect 1, as I found the combat awful the first time and simply turned it to easy to enjoy it the second time.

Also, Bayonetta, because now that I've finally finished I can stop recommending that game to people.

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The_Drizzle

STALKER, bought it for 2 bucks on the first steam xmas sale, played it for 18 mins then, never came back. However, i recently installed the complete mod and have played about 2 hrs. The combat can be brutal and i've died a lot but im digging the atmosphere.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I played a bit of the first Mass Effect and gave, I just was not feeling it. I gave it another another shot shortly before Mass Effect 2 came around and enjoyed it.

Another example is with Vanquish, which for whatever reason I never liked my first time through. Turns out that game is excellent.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3. My first playthrough totally failed and I thought the game was a piece of trash. Started a new file and it became one of my favorite games ever. (New Vegas is better, though.)

Also Deus Ex HR. The first half of the game felt meh to me, and I set it aside for awhile. When I finally forced myself to finish it, I found I was enjoying a lot more than I thought.

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bishna

Originally I hated the first Mass Effect because the gameplay and inventory management were awful. I put it down for a couple months. Luckily I came back and fell in love with the world and story. Gladly the sequels addressed my issues with the first game.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By onan

@Clonedzero said:

i'll probably get some shit for this. but mass effect 1.

when i first got my 360 i got like 6 games with it, mass effect being one of them. i played it for a bit, i think it was the first game i played on my 360 actually. got to the citadel and thought "meh, ill try some other games out". i didnt end up trying it again till like a year later, now its one of my favorite games this generation. i probably would have given it a better first chance if i didnt have a stack of other games i wanted to play sitting next to me.

Yeah, same here, almost to the letter. Played up to the citadel, did a bunch of side quests and stuff by the forward momentum was pretty much dead. then with the hype around ME2, I realized I needed to beat ME1 to have something to import, so I went back to it. It had been so long that I had no idea what was going on in the game or how to work the controls, plus I hated my custom dude, so I just started over from scratch with a vanilla Shepard and had an amazing time with it. Phenomenal game that went on to become one of my favorite games this generation.

Bully was another game I did that with. I finished Chapter 3 on it in April 2008, and then picked it up again more than a year later in October of 2009, finishing it in two days, and then going back and mopping up tasks in order to get one of my few S-ranks. It's up there on the list of my favorite games of all time.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By plaintomato

Demon's Souls. Most games, if they don't grab me in the first hour or two I don't play them. I play to be entertained, not just because, so if it doesn't pull me all the way in, I'm out. Demon's Souls didn't pull me in. But for some reason I powered through to the Tower Knight and an hour or so after that I was hooked. I almost didn't play it, and now it and Dark Souls have consumed more playtime than any other single game ever...I put embarrassing amounts of time into FFX, Oblivion, TDU and all of the GTA's...but Dark Souls probably stole more of my life then all of those combined.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#50  Edited By cornbredx

I have never played a game a second time and enjoyed it more.

I usually get fed up with it at the same time I did the first try. I'll do this often, because I want to finish the games I have. But if im not liking it I've never had that change on a second attempt.