" @r0k1ll said:
" @demontium said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" @demontium said:
" @AjayRaz said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" Gamespot is garbage. "
this. though demons souls is quite the awesome game  "
Do not totally throw their opinion out, GotY is a personal decision, not fact.  Although Gamespot is indeed garbage, they are still correct in choosing that game, not only because it is very good, but because there is no right or wrong answer. "
Yeah, your right. "
As I always am. "
I think we should make this quote longer than it already is. "
It depends on how many people respond to this response. "
"
Can I poop on your chest? "
I just noticed that the further along the quote train goes, the dimmer the earlier responses become. Can you make them disappear completely? :O
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#52  Edited By beargirl1
@Solarus: Yeah, you can. 
Avatar image for 21stcenturyjesus
21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus
@MiamiRedHawks:
no, cnet is garbage...and eidos...sorta. you cant blame those who remained for not wanting to be jobless. Also, its good to see something a little less conventional win goty somewhere.
DewRequired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By DewRequired

Wouldn't have thought it would even be in the top 10

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Dan_CiTi

It probably worked out that everyone had it as like their #3, 4, or 5. Not everyone thought it was #1 but that is just how it worked out since so many people had it on their list.

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By BionicMonster
@xyzygy said:
" Very impressed with Gamespot right now! The game deserved it. I'm also glad they didn't recognize Uncharted 2 like every one and their grandmother.   Why? This award may show the Japanese that yes, we do appreciate when they (companies like Atlus) go above and beyond to import such niche games. When all western games win the awards, the Japanese might feel like their efforts were for naught.  It's really great when such a small studio like From Software wins a GOTY.  "
*looks at xyzygy's "collection"* ah if only you had actually played Uncharted 2 then you would see why everyone and their grandmother love it. By the way since when do Japanese game developers need us to gratify them with an award?
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By jakob187
@JoshLarson said:
" My hat is off to the editors and reviewers at Gamespot on this choice. It is good to see a high quality, niche title win GOTY from a site that plays all genres, as opposed to certain unnamed sites who shun sports game and most traditional RPGs. "
Then why the shit do you feel the need to comment on that certain unnamed site...let alone name yourself after the guy who fired Jeff?
Slab64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Slab64
@Solarus said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:

" @ADTR_ZERO said:

" @demontium said:
" @r0k1ll said:
" @demontium said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" @demontium said:
" @AjayRaz said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" Gamespot is garbage. "
this. though demons souls is quite the awesome game  "
Do not totally throw their opinion out, GotY is a personal decision, not fact.  Although Gamespot is indeed garbage, they are still correct in choosing that game, not only because it is very good, but because there is no right or wrong answer. "
Yeah, your right. "
As I always am. "
I think we should make this quote longer than it already is. "
It depends on how many people respond to this response. "
"
Can I poop on your chest? "
I just noticed that the further along the quote train goes, the dimmer the earlier responses become. Can you make them disappear completely? :O "
I am definitely having to squint at the first post...kind of a strange quote mechanic.
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By evanbrau

There were worse games on the list so I guess this is good. That said it reeks of picking it to generate hits, its something I'd expect from one of the pretentious gaming mags like Edge or GamesTM to do to try and get people interested in them. 

From everything I've heard its far, far to niche to ever really be a GOTY (and I say this as someone who loves Armoured Core and appreciate that From Software need more recognition) a GOTY must have some kind of mass appeal especially considering that Demons Souls bill itself as having MMOG elements.

Fair play to the game but I doubt the game ever had anything to do with it, its just Gamespot angling for controversy and hits.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#60  Edited By MeierTheRed

Game of the year awards are useless, thought Demon's Souls is a good game.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#61  Edited By jacksukeru
@Soap said:

" I can't believe that it got chosen to be honest.  Sure it's a great game, but GOTY material should be something that changed the face of gaming that year, or came as close as it will do that year.  Hence... Uncharted 2 "

...? But that game is basically Uncharted: Unchart Harder! It does a bunch of familiar things really well, like REALLY, REALLY WELL, but that's it. 

For those interested http://www.gamespot.com/best-of/game-of-the-year/index.html?page=1 here's a lazy link to the video of the staff announcing and explaining why they choose Demon's Souls  as their GoTY. 

Lastly, while I'm somehow happy that Demon's Souls is getting more recognition, GoTY awards are f*cking stupid.
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#62  Edited By Pie

Go Atlus!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#63  Edited By Hailinel

Say what you will about Gamespot, but this is a pleasant surprise.  It's nice to see such a niche title win as many awards as it has, GOTY included.  I have Demon's Souls sitting on my shelf, and while I've dug into it a little, I need to work up to getting back into it.  That is one brutal game.  I may never have the skill to best it, but I appreciate what it does.

Also, the game's implementation of the PSN online and multiplayer is pretty groundbreaking in itself.  I don't think I've ever seen that style of multiplayer in any online game before.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By Jimbo

I find it fascinating how the immense industry and forum love for Uncharted 2 hasn't resulted in greater commercial success.  It has nearly twice as many votes as MW2 in the early user voting, despite having about a tenth of the sales, if that.  It's not like there's been a lack of exposure for UC2 or anything.  Really brings it home that there's a huge floating market of gamers out there and that 'we' aren't really representative of or informing that market at all.

(Also, saw my first AC2 tv ad earlier.  Looks awesome but there's no killer song over the top of it like last time- they shoulda used Angel by Massive Attack.  No, I have no idea what this has to do with Gamespot's GOTY.)

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Pibo47

Demon soul is good....but that good? uhhhh...noo...sry..

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66  Edited By trophyhunter

Fuck Yes!! gamespot you have earned my respect once again. 
I said this was game of the year months ago

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#67  Edited By TwoOneFive

and i still have zero interest in that game. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Hailinel
@Jimbo said:
" I find it fascinating how the immense industry and forum love for Uncharted 2 hasn't resulted in greater commercial success.  It has nearly twice as many votes as MW2 in the early user voting, despite having about a tenth of the sales, if that.  It's not like there's been a lack of exposure for UC2 or anything.  Really brings it home that there's a huge floating market of gamers out there and that 'we' aren't really representative of or informing that market at all.  (Also, saw my first AC2 tv ad earlier.  Looks awesome but there's no killer song over the top of it like last time- they shoulda used Angel by Massive Attack.  No, I have no idea what this has to do with Gamespot's GOTY.) "
Are you sure that isn't more of an indictment against the quality of MW2 on a wider scale?  I've heard nothing but almost universal praise for Uncharted 2, whereas MW2 discussion has been awash in complaints of glitches and bugs that have put a serious dent in the enjoyment of the game for a lot of people.  Well, that and the fact that more sales doesn't necessarily guarantee more votes.
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#69  Edited By Cerza

My immediate reaction was a big WHAT??? But after watching the video where they explain why they chose Demon's Souls as their GOTY I can respect their decision. It's not my personal GOTY, but I say good for them for picking it. I can understand why they did. It also makes me really happy that they did give Demon's Souls GOTY, because it means more exposure and money for the game, Atlus, and From Software and the more they can get the better.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#70  Edited By Black_Rose

Huh...does this mean we're going to see a Demon's Souls: Game of the Year Edition soon?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Milkman

Baffling, astounding, crazy, insane, ridiculous.

I don't understand the appeal of Demon's Souls in the slightest and I don't think I ever will. But even if I did, I think I would still find Demon's Souls as GOTY completely crazy.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#72  Edited By trophyhunter
@Milkman said:
" Baffling, astounding, crazy, insane, ridiculous.  I don't understand the appeal of Demon's Souls in the slightest and I don't think I ever will. But even if I did, I think I would still find Demon's Souls as GOTY completely crazy. "
well maybe you should try it
Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Cazamalos

gamespot actual reviewers are more casual than the average, i remember they're motorstorn >forza 2 driving game goty, maybe they're trying to say "look we are hardcore and we like underground games" but anyways who cares gotys are still points of view, just enjoy your games, and don't be a fanboy there are to many already

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By xyzygy
@BionicMonster said:
" @xyzygy said:
" Very impressed with Gamespot right now! The game deserved it. I'm also glad they didn't recognize Uncharted 2 like every one and their grandmother.   Why? This award may show the Japanese that yes, we do appreciate when they (companies like Atlus) go above and beyond to import such niche games. When all western games win the awards, the Japanese might feel like their efforts were for naught.  It's really great when such a small studio like From Software wins a GOTY.  "
*looks at xyzygy's "collection"* ah if only you had actually played Uncharted 2 then you would see why everyone and their grandmother love it. By the way since when do Japanese game developers need us to gratify them with an award? "
I haven't updated my collection in a long time man, and on top of that I don't own the game, I borrowed it from a friend :P
jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By jack_daniels
@MiamiRedHawks said:
" Gamespot is garbage. "
Even when Jeff was there?
VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#76  Edited By VisariLoyalist

should have been dragon age

moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#77  Edited By moelarrycurly

Sounds like I need to play Demon's Souls at some point...

doe3879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By doe3879

The 1st day I pick up Demon's Soul, I left my PS3 on for 14 hour and play it for 10 hours.
it was awesome

Madyew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#79  Edited By Madyew

I guess I need to buy this game then, though I know I'll just be torturing myself.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Slippy

Gamespot redeemed. Game of the generation more like.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By toowalrus

That's cool. I'm glad Gamespot didn't dismiss the game without playing it, like 3'4th of the Giantbomb staff. That said, the Bombcast is still 1000x more entertaining than the Hotspot.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By kennybaese
@xyzygy said:
"I'm also glad they didn't recognize Uncharted 2 like every one and their grandmother."  
I'm just going to say, there's a reason Uncharted 2 is winning all sorts of game of the year awards. Because it is, hands down, one of the best games that I have ever played, and I've been playing games for a long long time. Not that my opinion is the only one that matters or anything crazy like that, but Uncharted 2 is excellent in almost every way and it deserves all of the awards its been getting. 
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By xyzygy
@walkingcarpet said:

" @xyzygy said:

"I'm also glad they didn't recognize Uncharted 2 like every one and their grandmother."  

I'm just going to say, there's a reason Uncharted 2 is winning all sorts of game of the year awards. Because it is, hands down, one of the best games that I have ever played, and I've been playing games for a long long time. Not that my opinion is the only one that matters or anything crazy like that, but Uncharted 2 is excellent in almost every way and it deserves all of the awards its been getting.  "
I'm not saying it's a bad game, I don't know why you went on this spiel. I'm just saying I'm glad somewhere recognized a great game other than Uncharted 2 when Demon's Souls is also an amazing and complete game and in my opinion much more worthy of a Game of the Year simply because it innovates so much more than Uncharted 2. 

@RockmanBionics said:
" @Soap said:

" I can't believe that it got chosen to be honest.  Sure it's a great game, but GOTY material should be something that changed the face of gaming that year, or came as close as it will do that year.  Hence... Uncharted 2 "

...? But that game is basically Uncharted: Unchart Harder! It does a bunch of familiar things really well, like REALLY, REALLY WELL, but that's it. "
Basically, what this guy said!
VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By VanderSEXXX

Well..this is also incredibly surprising for me given the fact it got a review like this from the escapist. :D    

it was hilarious though and I enjoyed playing the game through and through. 
Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Rio

When I think back at how much GB has shrugged off Demon's Souls it does bother me.  I'm glad Vinny has an open mind but very disappointed that none of them could explore and understand the game the way I have.  The game deserves more credit and I'm glad gamespot is showing it some, even if I dont visit the site much anymore.  

Although, I dont need validity added to my love for the game by outside sources, there seems to be enough love for Demon's Souls in the Giant Bomb community for that anyway.  Its still nice to see some recognition though.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@zkilla: My only surprise is they made a good choice.  The only people who complain about this are the ones who haven't played it.  Even if you play it and don't like the style, it's not too difficult to notice many appealing qualities.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Hailinel
@cazamalos said:
" gamespot actual reviewers are more casual than the average, i remember they're motorstorn >forza 2 driving game goty, maybe they're trying to say "look we are hardcore and we like underground games" but anyways who cares gotys are still points of view, just enjoy your games, and don't be a fanboy there are to many already "
Wait, how does their preference of Motorstorm over Forza 2 somehow prove that they're "more casual?"  Is it somehow less hardcore to prefer an arcade racer over a simulation racer?
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#88  Edited By armaan8014

I saw their picks for all platforms, and for each winner, every one was like-  what? oO
Looks like they wanted to shake everyone up with weird choices.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@armaan8014: Play the games, then come back and tell me if they're weird choices.  I'm not a video game reviewer and I don't have time to play all the major games that are published and neither do the fanboys who complain.
ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By ToxicFruit
@End_Boss said:
" That's surprising and... Totally nonsensical. Of all the games to pick this year... "
Well everyone has different opinions, even gamespot, and hey maybe they are just doing this to be different from all other videogame sites.
Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By buzz_killington

It takes a lot of balls to choose such an obscure game like Demon's Souls as GOTY, when you're Gamespot. Kudos to them for taking this risk.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#92  Edited By CharleyTony

if Gamespot wanted to reward a game that had a high difficulty  and didn't mind alienating casual players in order to please a select group of hardcore gamers... 

They should have given the GOTY award to Tony Hawk Ride !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Demon's Souls = Best RGP of 2009  
                            = Best Original Game Mechanic of 2009
                            = Best PS3 games of 2009 
                            = 2009 Game of the Year
???????????????????????????????????????????????? 

I gotta listen to some Hotspot podcasts between this game's review and the 2009 awards to check if they really couldn't stop talking about it... In the show notes, it was only written once, the week it got reviewed.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Diamond
@CharleyTony said:
if Gamespot wanted to reward a game that had a high difficulty  and didn't mind alienating casual players in order to please a select group of hardcore gamers...  They should have given the GOTY award to Tony Hawk Ride
Since when was Tony Hawk Ride appealing to hardcore gamers with its transcendent gameplay?
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By armaan8014
@teh_pwnzorer said:

" @armaan8014: Play the games, then come back and tell me if they're weird choices.  I'm not a video game reviewer and I don't have time to play all the major games that are published and neither do the fanboys who complain. "

sorry i was just telling that they were choices that surprised everyone.. that's all.
imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By imhuntad

I think they really went out of their way to pick something "different" this year. Doesn't really matter though.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Seedofpower
@leky1 said:
" @girdz said:
" Who cares "
"
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By iam3green

it is pretty crazy thing that they did that. gamespot is a weird kind of place. i think they are thinking about changing the entire drawing board. i was honestly expecting uncharted 2 to win GOTY.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#98  Edited By CharleyTony
@Diamond said:
" @CharleyTony said:
if Gamespot wanted to reward a game that had a high difficulty  and didn't mind alienating casual players in order to please a select group of hardcore gamers...  They should have given the GOTY award to Tony Hawk Ride
Since when was Tony Hawk Ride appealing to hardcore gamers with its transcendent gameplay? "

Well there was that video from the Robomodo Staff trying to show some people how the game actually works... they seemed to like the game. 
Them and the guys that tried it for 15 minutes a the "review / launch" party Activision organized instead of sending review copies.
udabenshen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By udabenshen

This is just silly.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By armaan8014
@iam3green said:
" it is pretty crazy thing that they did that. gamespot is a weird kind of place. i think they are thinking about changing the entire drawing board. i was honestly expecting uncharted 2 to win GOTY. "
seriously, gamespot is really dead nowadays.. They want people to think they're different and hence want to make news, as they have successfully done by making us talk about it!