Getting an NES soon, need game suggestions!

• 75 results
Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Sarkhan

Startropics

Castlevania

SMB 2 and 3

Zelda (no interweb walkthrough)

Batman

and if into sports with a friend sitting next to you? Blades of steel.

EDIT: And ducktales for sure! Best music on the NES :)

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Sin4profit

@Slag said:

some games to avoid-

A Boy and his Blob

woah woah woah, slow down...why avoid A Boy and his Blob? i remember liking that game and it's sweet-ass Indiana Jones rip-off theme.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By GreggD

@Sin4profit said:

@Slag said:

some games to avoid-

A Boy and his Blob

woah woah woah, slow down...why avoid A Boy and his Blob? i remember liking that game and it's sweet-ass Indiana Jones rip-off theme.

It's a good game, fuck that guy.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Sin4profit

@GreggD:

...and he gives Bayou Billy the OK? Mother fuck that game sideways on a pogo stick.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#55  Edited By ESREVER
BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By BiG_Weasel
supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By supermonkey122

All the Megamans. All of them.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By Funzzo

Get Cobra Triangle,Kung-Fu and The Ultimate Stuntman.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By GreggD

@Funzzo said:

Get Cobra Triangle,Kung-Fu and The Ultimate Stuntman.

Thank you for reminding me of Kung-Fu!

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#60  Edited By Slag

@GreggD said:

@Sin4profit said:

@Slag said:

some games to avoid-

A Boy and his Blob

It's a good game, fuck that guy.

You know, I don't appreciate that. You asked people to help you and I spent 5-10 minutes of my time trying to do that. I wouldn't expect anyone to agree with everything on the list I could think up of (everyone has different tastes in games), but jesus overreact much?

Don't ask for help if you are going to be a ungrateful piece of crap when someone goes to the effort to do so for you.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#61  Edited By Slag

@Sin4profit said:

...and he gives Bayou Billy the OK? Mother fuck that game sideways on a pogo stick.

different strokes for different folks, I guess.

The OP wanted obscure games and Bayou Billy is somewhat obscure now. That game was pretty tough (but tough does not equal bad) but I liked it since it had a variety of modes,zapper, driving etc. I guess you don't.

I didn't like a Boy and his Blob because I felt it had major design flaws and was "cheap" instead of hard. It is among my last favorite games of all time. I spent my own money that I worked my tail off to earn as a kid on that game and really felt let down.The main character couldn't jump, and there weren't enough jellybeans located throughout the world making navigation especially in sewer parts of the game really frustrating in pointless ways. You make one platforming error and often basically be forced to have to restart the whole game. Cool concept, terrible execution. It might be less frustrating in the modern era where there are likely gamefaqs guides and such showing you where ever jellybean is. You'll have to forgive if my memory is a little off on these games I haven't played either one in over twenty years.

just my opinion.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Sin4profit

@Slag: pretty sure the dude was just joshin, it's the internet, overreacting to a simple opinion is kinda the whole deal 'round here.

It's not that i dislike Bayou Billy, it's like you said, that game was hard as hell but as a testament to it it was one that i always went back to feeling like i'd eventually conquer it.

I was too young to know what a design flaw was when i played A Boy and His Blob, it was one of few games that i actually completed when i was younger so i don't remember it being cheap or all that difficult. I remember being mostly upset at how short i thought it was.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By GreggD

@Sin4profit said:

@Slag: pretty sure the dude was just joshin, it's the internet, overreacting to a simple opinion is kinda the whole deal 'round here.

Yeah man, it's fine. I'm just of the mind that David Crane was way ahead of his time in a lot of ways. I can still play Pitfall! at the drop of a hat and enjoy my time playing it.

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

Mike Tyson's Punch Out

Megaman 2 (or any classic megaman)

Mario 3

Castlevania

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#65  Edited By Icemael
Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#66  Edited By Vextroid

Anything by LJN, beLIEve me!

Anyway, as much as Metal Gear fans shit on it, Snakes Revenge is actually pretty decent (and I'm a Metal Gear fan). I don't know if you are a Metal Gear fan. If you are? Just ignore al the references to MG and just have fun with it, If you are not a fan It will seem like a very decent top down stealth/action game.

armodillo17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By armodillo17

If you're interested, check this out: https://sites.google.com/site/projectgamereviews/nes . I created it for people who, like you, are looking for good NES games. Haven't updated it in a while, but it's got info on over 150 games. And even though they've already been mentioned, I would support the recommendations below:

Jackal - Top down shooter where you're in a jeep. One of the first games I know of where you can strafe. Great for single player or co-op.

Batman - Great atmosphere. Wall-jumping is always fun. Definitely challenging (still haven't gotten past stage 4)

Dr. Mario - Yes, it's well known, but I mention it because it is, in my opinion, the most fun competitive game on the NES (there aren't many that aren't sports titles).

Game to avoid at ALL COSTS: The Uncanny X-Men. It's made by LJN, which, as somebody already pointed out, should be avoided. This game is bad even for them.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By GreggD

@armodillo17: That's pretty fuckin' cool, man! Thanks for making this, it'll make my search easier!

RainDog505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By RainDog505

Tecmo Superbowl was an early gamer defining experience for me. Obviously many will scoff at the mention of a sports game on a SERIOUS gaming site like Giantbomb, but Tecmo Superbowl's blazing speed and master of the aged "easy to learn, difficult to master" gameplay mantra ranks it into a class of it's own...well except maybe one other classmate. I would advise trying to tag in some friends as the AI can become unfair towards the end of a dominate season.

By four pages of comments, you probably know the essentials (Castlevania, Mario, megaman,Contra), so I'll save both our times on that one. Somethings are popular for a reason; so check all those out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wafflez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#71  Edited By wafflez

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. 

Max422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#73  Edited By Max422

@camp7203 said:

All the Ninja Gaiden games!

I agree. And I think The Ancient Ship of Doom is the best of them.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By iam3green

ninja turtles games, also ninja turtles arcade.

battle toads, maybe bring it to gamestop and tell them that you have a rare game.

magaman games.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battletoads-Tiger-Electronics-Rare-Vintage-1991-Handheld-Game-Mint-Complete-/280894626040?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41669fd8f8

since we're talking about battletoads, this is a battletoads handheld that the show pawn stars has. it's going for $1,000. pawn stars is a show on history channel. it's family owned where it's the grandfather, his son, father's son, and the son's friend. the friend always screws up and tells bad jokes.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Bad Dudes Vs. Dragon Ninja

Batman

Castlevania I & II

Darkwing Duck