Giant Bomb community census: Age

• 91 results
fetterdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

Poll Giant Bomb community census: Age (1107 votes)

I'm under 15 0%
I'm 15-19 1%
I'm 20-24 21%
I'm 25-29 37%
I'm 30-34 24%
I'm 35-39 11%
I'm 40-44 3%
I'm 45-49 1%
I'm 50+ 1%

Not sure if we've done of these in a while. Feeling curious about the GB demographics.

• 
Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

44 last week.

That's middle aged, right? I'm middle aged.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Crazy the majority are in their 20's, i wonder how many people just "got too old for this shit".

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not an old lady, but sometimes when I see people say stuff like "the N64 was my first console" I feel like an old lady. :D

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By cikame

I'm 27 and i've been following Jeff and the crew since 2001... when i was 12 :S.
Nothing has been constant throughout my life except video games and these guys.

fetterdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@jadegl: My first console was an Atari 2600. I feel like a really old man!

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fetterdave said:

@jadegl: My first console was an Atari 2600. I feel like a really old man!

:D We had an Atari 2600 (it was in my brothers' room so I didn't get to play it much). Our "family" console was a Commodore 64. I played that for years before we got an NES.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Wow, what a nicely laid out distribution the poll results are. That makes somebodies job easier.

badseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Just aged into the 35-39 bracket shortly before this poll started

Started going to the site in 2012 around Big Live Live Show Live 3, though I had listened to the podcast for a few years before that.

aku88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will be 29 this year. Been following these guys since the Gamespot days more than a decade ago. Good lord time flies.

Petturi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

33. Became a fan in 2009 and Giant Bomb is really the only video game site I follow.

Takoyaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

20, soon 21. Started watching Giant Bomb when I was... 18?

As an aside, is it bad that I had to think for a second before I remembered my age?

flagranterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By flagranterror

Just hit 30. Been listening to the podcast for years and signed up on the site today.

30 ain't so bad.

lylebot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63  Edited By lylebot

Some 90% of poll respondents would fit the most commonly-accepted definitions of "Millenial". I am just on the boundary, either on the young end of Gen X or the old end of Millenial, depending on which definitions you're using.

I wonder how many people have mocked Millenials on these forums or other video game forums without realizing that they are one?

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@lylebot said:

Some 90% of poll respondents would fit the most commonly-accepted definitions of "Millenial". I am just on the boundary, either on the young end of Gen X or the old end of Millenial, depending on which definitions you're using.

I wonder how many people have mocked Millenials on these forums or other video game forums without realizing that they are one?

I'm 32, but I tell everyone I'm 40 specifically because I don't want to be included in the millennial hipster crowd.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#66  Edited By monkeyking1969

@retrometal said:

Welcome to the 1% Club...lots of advantages up here in First Class Gold.

No Caption Provided
TurboPubx16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By TurboPubx16

I'm 30. Story time :)

I've been here since 1UP collapsed. Brad had been on a couple of episodes of the flagship 1UP podcast, and his contributions were excellent. I knew that when 1UP ended (which we all new was coming) I should check him out. His voice was like "HELLO, I AM BRAD SHOEMAKER AND MY VOICE IS LIKE AN INDIAN PALE ALE FOR YOUR EARS." I have a feeling the producers at 1UP moved the knobs on the mixer just to make Brad sound even more like a god.

Around the same time of the 1UPocalypse (the day 80% of 1UP's staff was let go), GB started the Persona 4 Endurance Run. I remember watching the episode where they remove Teddy's head and there was nothing underneath. Jeff and Vinny hilariously just said "UUUUHHHH EPISODE'S OVER SEE YOU NEXT TIME" and that's when I fell in love.

If Giant Bomb wasn't around when 1UP died, and Idle Thumbs wasn't around when Jeff Green's Computer Gaming World died, there's a real chance that I would have just quit playing video games. Without knowledgeable, witty, and thoughtful people covering games then I think I might have just fell out of the pastime. Back then the community here was small but everyone was really friendly and cool, and on the same page in terms of respect and maturity.

(What follows if a petty rant about what passed for the best gaming coverage of the time, the site I once loved but eventually ruined itself):

The 1UP community and forums were just full of what seemed like young teens, who didn't even seem to actually read or watch or listen to any of the content on the site. At some point the main editors were just talking down to their audience. If you wanted to reach the 1UP staff, you would have to go to NeoGAF. Yeah, WTF right? They would refer to the podcast listeners as kids, while frequently trump-up their own maturity, professionalism, and influence on the whole industry. They spent a lot of time highlighting their ethical superiority when it came to games coverage. They would invite developers on and "ask the hard questions", which just forced the developers coming on their show to go into super-hyper-media-spin mode. Meanwhile, you had a retro podcast (Retronauts) and a PC gaming podcast (CGW Radio) on 1UP that were always excellent but you knew were just fucking doomed because 1UP was due to close any day :( .

At the time Kotaku was unreadable click-bait and drama stirring, IGN was not yet fully personality-based and still trying to force a "we're the coolest" image, Gamespot had of course lost all credibility, NeoGAF was people replying to threads with incredibly insightful comments like, "who cares" and "you're an xbot/sony pony", and 1UP was left with a small staff but still, somehow, shrinking with even more layoffs.

Giant Bomb was a small group of chill dudes with A+ chemistry, playing a game that I really wanted to play but just couldn't be bothered after not even finishing Persona 3 after 60 hours. They had a hilarious and LONG-ass podcast, they had a very clear idea about their style of criticism, and they were able to get real answers from developers without kissing their asses nor being so aggressive to incite defensiveness. Best of all, the community was infinitely respectful and involved in the website. People on the forums actually talked about the content on the website!

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

23, been watching since the hotspot too. No idea how long ago that was.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just turned 21.

This poll is going about how I expected it to.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

In 26, was 18 when I first started visiting the site.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

When people turn 20, they suddenly start subscribing to Giantbomb. Or the kids have grown up to become 20 and there's no new intake.

No Caption Provided

DevvyBoyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#72  Edited By DevvyBoyyy

Wow, everyone here is older than I expected. I'm 18, 19 in a few months.

I think I was 16 when I started watching GB stuff.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

23 atm. Started with GB when I was 16.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#74  Edited By Slag

Is it just me or do these answers seem to skew older than similar polls posted in teh forums over the last few years?

Based

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

18, been watching since around 2013, so since I was around 14/15.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

In that 30-34 year old bracket. Originally came to the site because of the wiki, stayed here because...well still the wiki but also equally as much the videos and podcasts.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

35, and has been a member of GB since it opened in 2008 (although at first I wasn't very active on the page and only consumed the podcast).

Jibanyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Jibanyan

I'm 20 now, but I first learned of the site back in 2012, which would've put me at 15 - 16, though I don't think I visited the site consistently until early 2013.

I always wondered why nobody else at school who was really into video games had ever heard about Giant Bomb. It's apparently not the most popular demographic!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been here 6 years in July

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

36, Nobi Nobi Boy brought me here, so whenever that was.

Batavist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

"How to monetize millenials, the story of Giant Bomb"

30's btw.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I turn 25 in a week so I voted for that demo. I think I'm the target demo.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

46 in 3 weeks

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#85  Edited By LackingSaint

22, I joined in when I was about 15 (so '09) thanks to a friend of mine who was an old follower of Gerst and company since the GameSpot days. He showed me How To Build A Bomb which was a great first experience, I started listening to the podcast while I played way too much Fallout 3 (at that point I actually found it hard to distinguish their voices, especially Ryan and Jeff). Jumped into the Persona 4 ER and since then I've been a fan.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer said:
@lylebot said:

I'm 32, but I tell everyone I'm 40 specifically because I don't want to be included in the millennial hipster crowd.

I dont see much millenial bashing on these forums. It's mostly a term I hear used by the media when they're trying to be snarky. Hipsters on the other hand used to be mocked all the time. I've had it explained to me several times what a hipster is and each person has given me a different description. It seems to be "guy/girl with an odd fashion sense that I dont like".

Anyway, i've always thought it was a bit weird to be ashamed of your age. (although not uncommon)

Amducious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

45 with a mental age of 12. Pew pew!

afkbradshaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By afkbradshaw

48.... Dont worry you'll all be this old, sooner than you think :)

Creme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

27, I was here way back when it was still cool.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm older than dirt - 39 in base 15.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

23. I've been here since the beginning so I've been watching/listening to GB folks for a little more than a third of my life. Weird.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a48350594a61
deactivated-5a48350594a61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

21 now and 22 in March, friend introduced me to GB in 2012