That is glorious

rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#303  Edited By rawrnosaurous

I don't have enough disposable income at the moment to plop down fifty dollars, but I fully support everything they have done concerning the subscriptions. They deserve this money, and it's shameful that some of us don't think so while we watch their content and use up their bandwidth and site.

It reminds me of when penny arcade was starting out, they started with giving out their content for free and after awhile they put up the ability for people to donate.

"The time they spent wrestling with financial issues took away from time that could've been spent making the strip. They were living off donations from readers and contemplating the prospect of getting day jobs again."

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#304  Edited By hbkdx12

As a non-subscriber, i could tell you that the premium content before this last big live live show was scarce to say the least. Since the show they've been pumping a lot more premium content to justify memberships and i think that's great. Honestly, i feel like TNTs and quick looks are great video features that don't require a subscription that trumps the idea of complaining about whats blocked off on the other side of the pay wall. Worry about he Haves instead of the Have-nots, folks

That tricaster party is split into 2 parts which leads me to believe that it must've been pretty damn long. The SNES party was split into a bunch of parts and was an all day event. Why do people feel they're magically entitled to these things that take a lot of time and effort to produce, for free?

Not to mention they're bringing you 12 HOURS of Skyrim FOR FREE. Even as a game that I'm not interested in, i think that's pretty damn cool and i'm grateful and will probably check some of it out.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#305  Edited By jozzy

@dudeglove said:

omg your absolutely rite, guys. dave just tweeted this picture.

No Caption Provided

we r being totally ripped off!!1one

I knew it!! They are swimming in our money!!

Bob_Loblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#306  Edited By Bob_Loblaw

I shelled out for the annual subscription because I felt guilty at the sheer amount of quality journalism and entertainment these guys provide and i can't think of a single purchase that provides better value for money that I could make. The fact that it's a website has no bearing on my decision - good content is good content and the fact they reward the people supporting them is great. Anything that keeps the site impartial and less reliant on advertising is to be applauded and without that the site would lose the uniqueness that marks it out from the rest of the online game press.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307  Edited By Meowshi

Look at all the happy customers! So very defensive.

Quite unseemly.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#308  Edited By Dagbiker

@Meowshi said:

Quite unseemly.

the reason the "happy costumers" are "defensive" is because the unhappy customers have taken up pitchforks and torches.

ApolloBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#309  Edited By ApolloBob

"That's not how it always was though"

You are completely wrong. What, you think they started this just to have fun? Giant Bomb has been a business from day one. It just took a while to get to a position of generating revenue in the way that you are up in arms about.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310  Edited By handlas

@Meowshi said:

Quite unseemly.

How true. As for anything really; if you are paying for it you must defend your decision. I'd probably be doing the same if I were plucking the money down. It means they support the site. Sure. You can also support the site without paying tho...by just being here, ya know? I visit a couple other really good game websites that simply don't have a strong community at all for some reason.

Bob_Loblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311  Edited By Bob_Loblaw

I'd just rather i was helping to pay the guys who run the site's wages rather than advertisers. We've all seen what happens to websites when the priority is page views and link clicks and that's why they don't breed a community because it's hard to inject personality to a site set up like that.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#312  Edited By fobwashed

For Anyone Just Joining In

Stop. This is a dead place where only terrible things happen. Here's are some OP responses to what I think are at the very least, decent responses. This isn't even cherry picked. Which makes it even sadder.

If your opinion differs from mine, don't post.

@CaptainCody said:

@SamFo: @swamplord666: @ZeForgotten: I made this thread just to say it, if you don't like the thread then don't post, but I know you like this thread because you like the commotions they cause and they can be entertaining at the least so don't lie. I'm also not trying to start a flame war so anyone can feel free to flip out at me. The more accurate point I'm trying to make is how stuck to a formula GB seems to be with this mindset. I'm not going to try and devolve this with more ranting yet though.

Giant Bomb staff shouldn't be successful, or be paid enough to make large purchases.

@CaptainCody said:

@mnzy: I'm with you two which is why I made this thread to see where everyone else is with me on this. I know what you mean with the views but since their debut they've gotten a new bigass building, more staff, more production equipment, skylanders, and Jeff is considering buying a new car. Money is no issue.

You're an idiot. And I don't understand what you're saying because it's too stupid.

@CaptainCody said:

@elcalavera said:

@CaptainCody said:

I'm with you two which is why I made this thread to see where everyone else is with me on this. I know what you mean with the views but since their debut they've gotten a new bigass building, more staff, more production equipment, skylanders, and Jeff is considering buying a new car. Money is no issue.

So, here's a "problem" I see a lot of bitching about and I cannot for the life of me understand what it's about. What business do you have with what the employees of Whiskey Media do with their salaries? That's just sick.

if you weren't an idiot you would realize I was making the argument of DISPOSABLE INCOME, and sick? It's not sick guy, you must be the type of person who is disgusted by hugging.

You're also a mindless drone, and can't think for yourself. I want stuff to be free.

@CaptainCody said:

@Insectecutor said:

@CaptainCody: Are you seriously arguing that they should be paid so little that they don't have the disposable income to finance a car? Something most regular dudes with regular jobs can do?

Stop, stop and read what this thread was about you drone. It's not about how much they get paid, holy shit. If anyone else has some amazing, unheard of comment to post feel free to, but if you don't then stop trolling. I am more referring to how systematic the site seems and the lack of informal content in which what was something they used to do randomly is now geared towards people who subscribe to make them feel like they're getting their moneys worth.

You're still an idiot. I'm the smartest person here. Also, building/maintaining and generating content is easy.

@CaptainCody said:

@Jams said:

@CaptainCody said:

@DarthOrange: @nail1080: I like how non members are being kind and writing formal opinions that are what I've agreed with and think we should have.

Wow. look at that... So far in this thread, you've shown nothing but selfishness and entitlement with every post you've made. You go so far as to pretend that the non memberse agreeing with you are all smart minded honest people and the paying members are, what, idiots? You don't deserve anything these guys give you. What makes you think they should give it to you for free? Becaue what, that's how it should be? They are trying to live off of this site you know. They're doing the best they can with what they know. But that's not good enough for you is it?

Annnnd you just fucked yourself there, read my post you quoted sport, I don't care if they're agreeing or not, they're just being NICE and FORMAL. Go hide behind your 50 dollar medal, maybe once you are done you can use your head.

@mikeocd said:

@nail1080 said:

@mikeocd said:

I feel like this site almost gives non-subscribers too much, to be honest, and I say that as an aforementioned non-subscriber. I'm still shocked the ERs aren't behind the paywall (saying that, I think the Persona one attracted a lot of people to the site, so maybe that's not a fantastic idea!),

See you just fucked yourself over there. "I'm still shocked the ERs aren't behind the paywall".....and then you realise that things like this actually attract new users to the site. These are the kind of points the OP is making and people like you are disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. There is an air of arrogance about certain people in this thread, who think their opinion is gold and everyone else's is shit.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I 'fucked myself over', and I'm not disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing, I'm just saying I'm astounded how much these guys sweat to put out for free. I don't really even see how I'm being arrogant when I'm going so far as to, er, 'fuck myself over' or whatevs. Please remain calm on the internet. Please. Please.

Yes, sitting down and playing video games is a tiring process.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313  Edited By mnzy

Man I really regret my reply to OP, I got 17 messages of just people insulting him on where he answered me.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314  Edited By samfo
@Fobwashed: Dude, i would love for this post to be in 'Rad stuff made by our community'
Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#315  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I loved Giant Bomb for the exclusive content, and my subscription is more of a donation for them to keep doing it. It makes me sad that they put all the parts I really love about Giant Bomb behind a subscription. I don't mind it, but the thought that newcomers to the site won't have access to these videos makes me sad.

mattman734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#316  Edited By mattman734

I personally think that non subscribers are only complaining because they know what they are missing out. But despite what everyone says i think they have handled it perfectly the non members still get everything they used to (besides the youtube thing which i admit is a downgrade) but the people who help support the site get more then just one video a week, what more could anyone reasonably ask for. You dont get to see a movie without paying for it (besides the obvious way of stealing it) it astounds me that people think they are owed everything on the internet for nothing.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317  Edited By shaunk

I'm a non subscriber and I fully support the subscription idea. They handle it really well and I have seen some of the subscriber content and it is really good. I'd subscribe if I could afford it. And I probably will soon enough.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318  Edited By DrPockets000

@CaptainCody said:

If anything I'd rather pay for something like a shirt, something that actually has physical purpose and represents what I'm a part of: a community.

You can do that with an Annual subscription.

Just sayin'.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#319  Edited By Pop

@dudeglove said:

No Caption Provided

New subscriber content, Dave playing PC games shirtless. Oh wait how do we know he isn't already doing that? I was hoping this thread to be locked by now but I guess it's too popular to be locked. Oh well let the fighting with the OP continue, Pay 5 bucks dude! it's worth it! even in romanian money that's like 4 beers(one for each bombcaster) or 6 really cheap ones(to add Dave and Patrick) :D.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320  Edited By selbie

@dudeglove said:

No Caption Provided

I'd pay to see more of that.....OH WAIT I already am :O

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#321  Edited By Enigma777

Personally I get more entertainment out of my WM mebership than my Netflix membership, so $5 a month is a steal for me... but hey, to each his own. 

jipearce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#322  Edited By jipearce

Being both a student and an irregular gamer, I choose not to pay for a service I won't use all that often. But like you said, Giant Bomb is a business. They have expenditures of their own, and they need to eat sometimes. So paying for the service should entitle you to a few perks, and if you're unwilling to pay for that, than you really don't have a leg to stand on, right? There's still a massive wealth of content for you to enjoy regardless.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#323  Edited By nintendoeats

So this thread is long and I'm just making a drop in the bucket...

I hate ads passionately. I can pay a nominal fee to get my favorite website without ads. Awesome. I would love it if that was the only feature change with a subscription, but if it was then GB would not remain viable and my favorite website would go away. The world is not ideal in its construction, and GB is doing the best that it can within the confines of capitalism. IF you have a better idea for an economic model...suggest it to them.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#324  Edited By JasonR86

I posted in this thread a little back but I just want to add that every time I read this stupid fucking thread title I get irritated at the stupidity of it.