• 187 results
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By WickedCestus

I don't hate Brad Nicholson, but I really don't think that four of the articles on the front page should be by him. I agree with you, I'm clicking on less things on the front page because I know most of them will be by the interns. I just go to Kotaku for my news because they always have it quicker. Before, all the articles on the front page would be by the main staff, which is who I want to read it from. So yeah, I agree, there should be a filter.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By tmthomsen

100% agree. It's really sad to see all the great content drown in (to me) uninteresting news stories. I've always been an avid visitor of the site, but since the influx in news stories I've been missing a lot of quicklooks, mailbags, staff articles, etc. (aka. stuff I really like about the site).

As the OP suggested, please either make the content easier to browse or cut some news stories.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Carlos1408

I like the new content, I don't really go anywhere else for videgame info and news so that's fine with me.  
But if it really is annoying that many people maybe they should be seperated. I like it the way it is. Also I don't really care about the speed, I much prefer the new brad's writing style than gay gamespot's. At least he's trying to entertain us and he can be pretty funny. And as others have said the community is way better and more tolerating. This is the only website that i've ever posted or made comments on and that's because i feel comfortable with the community and I find them worth sharing my opinions with.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Dalai

I preferred the news coverage pre-Nicholson/Kessler myself only because now there's too much filler, too many stories on rumors and speculation. I would have no problem if they cut the amount of news stories in half, but I would accept some sort of news filter also. 

I do remember the front page once having tabs for news, videos, reviews, etc. Maybe that can make a comeback.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#55  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@Killjoi: "10-15 news stories in a day" 
I hope your joking, even during Gamescom this site didnt have 10 stories a day.

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#56  Edited By Heartagram

I like the fact that they have the news stories but I too agree that they need a better way to filter it.   

GB is a great site i've been using it since Arrow Pointing Down but  I do feel that the "main" staffers are getting drowned out by all of these Kotaku esque news stories. 

I really like the idea of having separate tabs for just plain news and maybe another for when they actually visit someone and have an interview. 

At the same time I also think they need a better video sorting system.  

I'm not a web designer so I have no idea how difficult or easy any of this stuff would be but it would all be nice.

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#57  Edited By takua108

Giant Bomb is pretty much my only source for video game information. If I ever read through all of the stories in a day, and still crave more, then I'll hit up Kotaku and Joystiq... but I love it how people complain about there being more things to read.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By FluxWaveZ

At this point, I really don't care.  It's not as if what the staff wrote was awesome compared to the current, newer writers; news is news.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#59  Edited By ajamafalous
@takua108 said:
" Giant Bomb is pretty much my only source for video game information. If I ever read through all of the stories in a day, and still crave more, then I'll hit up Kotaku and Joystiq... but I love it how people complain about there being more things to read. "
You didn't read the complaints if you think that's the issue here.
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#60  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Wow. 

A lot of people in the thread hate the new guys. 

Sounds like middle school.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By tmthomsen
@Mr_Skeleton said:
"

@Killjoi: "10-15 news stories in a day" 
I hope your joking, even during Gamescom this site didnt have 10 stories a day.

"
There were 12 last Friday, which is 2 more than the site is able to show. So if you logged on after the last news post had been submitted, you'd be missing out on two pieces of content. That could either be two interesting reviews or two news posts about Netflix streaming - no one would ever know.

Edit: and 14 pieces of front page content last Thursday. Man, this is even worse than I thought.
KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By KuribosShoe

I'm fine with everything.  Stay the course, Giant Bomb!

KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By KuribosShoe

Still waiting for that ignore button, though.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#64  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@hack745 said:
" You're complaining that the new guy that frees up the staff to do other projects is putting out too much content?  The stories aren't the first to break. Big deal. I didn't realize video game news was so time sensitive. "
Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#65  Edited By buzz_killington

If I could make one wish right now, it would be to make people shut the fuck up about this bullshit. Honestly, there is nothing left that a billion people haven't said before. Just shut up and live with it.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By tmthomsen
@No0b0rAmA said:
" @hack745 said:
" You're complaining that the new guy that frees up the staff to do other projects is putting out too much content?  The stories aren't the first to break. Big deal. I didn't realize video game news was so time sensitive. "
"
You should both read the original post again. You're totally missing the point.
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By tmthomsen
@buzz_killington said:

" If I could make one wish right now, it would be to make people shut the fuck up about this bullshit. Honestly, there is nothing left that a billion people haven't said before. Just shut up and live with it. "

You don't see a problem in posting 14 front page articles when you've only got space for 10? You seem to miss the point as well. Reading the headline isn't enough.
KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By KuribosShoe

I do agree that the news list needs to be a little longer.  Or maybe you could put in a scroll or something.

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By solidlife

How hard is it for you to Videos>quickLooks. Learn to use the site, This is to the point being made that the news stories are making him miss content.

Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Ninja

Things change. We can't expect Jeff, Ryan and Brad to write four articles at once while being in five places at once. Even though Vinny can be everywhere he is needed all the time for all the video features he needs to oversee. I miss some things but onwards and upwards we march.
KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By KuribosShoe

yeah, everything is super easy to find

plus there's, you know, those three BIG ASS PANELS at the top of the page that feature the sort of content he's looking for.

it's pretty arrogant to want to block someone's hard work because it OFFENDS YOUR EYES or something.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Binman88

Your problem is you miss features from the staff and quicklooks? Alright.  

Link for news headlines. Very easy to scroll through by author to find the ones by the core 4 staff members. 
Link to videos page. Click the quicklooks tab for quicklooks. Click the features tab for office videos and such. 

Now you get what you want, so you're happy (or maybe you like complaining, in which case this won't make you happy), and GiantBomb are happy because they get to stick with their plan of putting out news stories and working more on the other stuff you enjoy.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By tmthomsen
@solidlife said:
" How hard is it for you to Videos>quickLooks. Learn to use the site, This is to the point being made that the news stories are making him miss content. "
Why should users have to dig for content? It's a website's job to present the content to its userbase. 

I understand your need to defend Giant Bomb - I probably like the site more than you, but this is constructive criticism about a design problem. There is really nothing to gain from ignoring it - we all want the site to be even better.
Glak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#74  Edited By Glak

We're never going to get over this, are we?
Seriously, things change, if you don't like new Brad's news then ignore his content
Although I do agree on one point, if they're going to be cranking out news, then they need to make room to accommodate all of it, maybe a longer news space

KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By KuribosShoe

clicking two links is hardly "digging"

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#76  Edited By babblinmule
@Mrnitropb said:
" @nickux said:
" The one thing I feel like we're forgetting is that commenting and discussing news stories on GB is far better than other sites. So if I see the same story here as I do on Kotaku, etc. I'm more inclined to comment because the community here is more fun to engage.  "
And you are far, far less likely to get banned for calling the article writer an asspirate, than you would at Kotaku. "
I still have fond memories of my one and only post on Kotaku where i pointed out a spelling mistake in title - earnt me a ticket straight to bansville. Gotta love corrupt article writers.

But on topic, i always thought it wouldnt be a bad idea to have a seperate section of the front page devoted to new articles and vids from jeff, ryan, brad, vinny or drew. I don't know where they would put it, but im sure the lovely engineers would find a gap.
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By tmthomsen
@KuribosShoe said:
" clicking two links is hardly "digging" "
The moment you start looking for content manually, you're digging. I visit the site often and somewhat expect the front page to present me with every new article/video since my last visit (may that be the day before). Why should I have to check the video archive to see if I've missed anything? Wouldn't it be nicer to have it on the front page?
yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By yakov456

So clicking "video" or "news" at the top of the page is digging for content? I sure hope you people don't sign up for the pay service, god help them with the demands and complaints you will be launching their way.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By tmthomsen
@yakov456: So the front page should just be pretty for the sake of it and not be functional?
Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#80  Edited By buzz_killington
@TMThomsen: No I see the point, and I'm not outright dismissing it. I'm just saying I'm tired of hearing about the same issue for the last few months. Honestly, giant Bomb did not create enough content as it should have and for what it's worth, I think Brad N and Kessler have done a quality job so far and this has basically eliminated my need for visiting Joystiq. Because I know the news will be here, but clicking on it or not will be my call. 
And also, I don't know if you guys knew this, but there is this thing on top of the site called the "News" tab. Yeah. It's useful.
KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By KuribosShoe

it was always my understanding that the top of the page was for the main guys' content.  I guess they could stand to update it a little more frequently but it seems like it does an ok job of pointing out the stuff worth looking at.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Aronman789

Since I only visit this site and RPS for my gaming, I like the large amount info added, and what's wrong with a short summary? Would you rather sit there and read a 3000 word essay on how X game is getting a 1 hour DLC in 5 years? That and the fact that Kotaku is shit make up my reason of why there is no real problem going on.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By yakov456
@TMThomsen: I guess it's subjective. I do not see anything non-functional at all with the home page. The thought never crossed my mind.
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By tmthomsen
@buzz_killington said:

" @TMThomsen: No I see the point, and I'm not outright dismissing it. I'm just saying I'm tired of hearing about the same issue for the last few months. Honestly, giant Bomb did not create enough content as it should have and for what it's worth, I think Brad N and Kessler have done a quality job so far and this has basically eliminated my need for visiting Joystiq. Because I know the news will be here, but clicking on it or not will be my call.  And also, I don't know if you guys knew this, but there is this thing on top of the site called the "News" tab. Yeah. It's useful. "

I have nothing against the new interns either - my complaint lies in the flood of the news stories. Of course it will be your call if you click it or not, but you can't decide upon news articles you don't know exist. I know there are tabs at the top of the site, but do you really think it's reasonable to have to check the archive for today's new items?
solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By solidlife
@TMThomsen said:
" @solidlife said:
" How hard is it for you to Videos>quickLooks. Learn to use the site, This is to the point being made that the news stories are making him miss content. "
Why should users have to dig for content? It's a website's job to present the content to its userbase. 

I understand your need to defend Giant Bomb - I probably like the site more than you, but this is constructive criticism about a design problem. There is really nothing to gain from ignoring it - we all want the site to be even better. "
Who said digging is a bad thing, when you dig for content you find what is necessary for your needs, Jeeze if all the QL where left on the Homepage you complain about that and call it "digging" because its to cluttered. Web browsing is not about getting to content in one click its how easy you can find it.
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By tmthomsen
@solidlife: How can you be sure I find what is necessary for my needs when I check for what have been posted today? I may find something interesting, I don't know, but I don't see why I should have to explore the archive for that? I visit the site daily and usually don't miss quicklooks. I'm used to pick my contents of interest on a daily basis, and I don't like the idea that I should randomly fumble around the archive to maybe find something interesting.

I don't claim I want every video on the front page, but I do however expect to find the newest (2-3 days) content, which is hard at the current setup.
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Aronman789

Wait, so when I have to click both "videos" and "endurance run" to see the endurance run I'm being forced to dig? Fuck, well I'm suing, my fingers can't spare those clicks.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By tmthomsen
@Aronman789 said:

" Wait, so when I have to click both "videos" and "endurance run" to see the endurance run I'm being forced to dig? Fuck, well I'm suing, my fingers can't spare those clicks. "

You actually point out another small problem; all the endurance run episodes of Persona, Deadly Premonition x2 and Matrix Online are all cluttered up under the same tab. Would be nice with some organization.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#89  Edited By Vinny_Says

my complaints with the news on this site have been locked by mederators and ignored by emails. I guess this "news" thing is a thing now. Anyone remember when the front page had stuff from that day and the day before? Quality over quantity!

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By solidlife
@TMThomsen:  There is no fumbling needed its in chronological order, You just need to use your brain and pick the content which suits you. It is NOT a random fumble when the archive is in chronological order AND archived correctly e.g news stories are in news.  Maybe you should ask for a filter of something like everything posted on the site in the last 24 hours and so on for a week.  
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By dbz1995

It's been a long time since I've seen anybody post this:

Speaking of which, haven't heard from Bucketdeth for some time.
solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By solidlife

Also the Front page is for the Latest stuff. it would be stupid to have all 2-3 days of content on it as it would clutter up the homepage, If you want old content find it yourself.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By DevWil

it could be my imagination, but i think things have gotten so much better since E3.  i hated brad nicholson's posts for probably a month or something, but i think someone at GB explained to him what this website's audience is generally interested in and that it doesn't include when the madden 11 demo is coming out or the mechanics of NBA games that don't have big head mode.

i do miss the editorials and news posts by the staff.  however, i think kessler's tone fits the site and it doesn't come across as him trying too hard.  kessler strikes me as part of the community, whereas nicholson strikes me as a freelancer just getting paid (and i don't know that i'm far from the truth).  again, though...i think nicholson has gotten better about posting news relevant to the GB audience's interests.  i don't mind him so much anymore. 

i do think i'd prefer that a good many news stories just got a quick mention on the bombcast rather than a story on the front page, but whatever.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By tmthomsen
@solidlife: I don't necessarily want "old content". I just want to check that which is interesting to me. As mentioned earlier, I like knowing what awesome content Giant Bomb has produced today and that has undoubtedly become harder when the amount of content exceeded the content space.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, the biggest issue here is that articles I want to read are quickly knocked off their first page. Like a week ago, I saw the Kane and Lynch 2 review on the site, and I briefly glanced at it. I came back to read it the next day, but the link was no longer on the first page. So I ended up needing to do a search for the game, which wasn't a big deal, but considering how new it was, it would have been nice if I still had quick and easy access to it.

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By solidlife
@TheGreatGuero: All you had to do is click Reviews in the red tab bar. then click on thew K&L review much more simple than searching for it.
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By tmthomsen
@solidlife: Again, hadn't he noticed the review during his first browsing, he would had totally missed it, and Jeff's time reviewing the game would had been wasted on that particular user.

I have no idea why you are so defensive. Are you actually saying that you prefer having to dig for content and check the site at least 2 times a day to keep up?
DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By DevWil

pretty sure the K&L2 review was on the front page in some capacity for a good week or so.  could be misremembering.

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By solidlife
@TMThomsen:  Im getting defensive because I think it is stupid that, users of this site Dont want to use any common sense, Do you not understand WHY content gets put into the tabs its because they Do not want to clutter the Homepage. It is simply a design issue that you fail to understand. All you have to do to find content for your specific needs is click a tab not hard. Home pages are suppose to highlight the newest things on the site. Not 2days old stuff because your to dam lazy to click on a tab but want to scream loud, Im so lazy that i can not be bothered to look for content due to having to click on a tab of my interest is way to tedious.  
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#100  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Didn't we have this discussion like 5 months ago, when Nicholson started doing this?