Giantbomb should seriously consider making an FMV game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I think it's the right time for Giantbomb to make their own FMV game and dip their toes into the games-making business. I have no idea about what the story would be about but what I do know is that the Giantbomb crew would probably do a fantastic job.

I also think that many people from the community would be supportive of the project and help make it into something with lots of potential.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

The FMV-themed top tens of whatever year were one thing, but an entire FMV game? That sounds like a lotof time and effort, more than they'd likely be willing to set aside lest the site goes through a content drought through a part of the year.

facktion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I don't think Giant Bomb should be in the game making business. Aside from the potential ethics issues, it would be way too much of a time suck for something that wouldn't show much return for them (or their corporate overlords, CBS).

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#5 FinalDasa  Moderator

It would be great but making a game is pretty time consuming. A small version would be interesting but the GOTY videos often times fills that void.

Punched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm pretty sure that most of them have full time jobs.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, that would take a lot of time and work. Maybe as part of GOTY buy I doubt it would be a full game.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ripelivejam

Some stupid little easter egg thing on the site would not go amiss if they have the time/manpower/resources. Also sounds like everyone forgot they already sort of did this for 2011 GOTY.

Maybe they can enlist some gamespot chuckleheads to help fabricate something questionable and somewhat on fire. :)

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carbon Neutral Games still hasn't delivered on Lincoln Force. I can't imagine we'll see Untitled Giant Bomb FMV Project (suggested title: "Phantasmagoria 3: A Puzzle of Vinny") from them any time soon. Especially since Michael Transactions and Edge Casey were let go from the company.

Honestly, I've heard talk that Carbon Neutral Games is going to be absorbed into Boat Drinks LLC, so we may never see either project. But that's just industry scuttlebutt, so take it with a grain of salt. Still, best to not get our hopes up.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Not necessarily a game, but it would be fun if they ever tried doing some of the pre-written, acted out stuff they did at Gamespot so many years ago.

whur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By whur

I'm fairly certain they've mentioned that they've thought about recording some stuff and releasing to the community to mess with. Just part of the many ideas that sit on the back burner for another time.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I could see them doing something like that FMV WWE YouTube game they had on UPF some months ago for GOTY. Initialisations.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be like an actor you like trying to break into the music business. It wouldn't be what you want.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@whur said:

I'm fairly certain they've mentioned that they've thought about recording some stuff and releasing to the community to mess with. Just part of the many ideas that sit on the back burner for another time.

Wait... so the idea was they'd record stuff and then basically leave it to the community to edit it together?

whur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By whur

@yummylee: i believe someone had asked them, it definitely wasn't an offload to the community like you suggest.

edit: something about digitizing them in the form of that doujin fighting game comes to mind

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: You think they'd do the whole "bad FMV game" thing again? I guess Contradiction is a bit of a different beast than what they were riffing on a few years ago, though...

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: Mind if I improve that a bit? Phantasmagoria 3: A Bomb of Flesh.

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Twine + Video

Berserk007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Embrace your cult of personality...

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I'd rather they not hop the fence into game creation as long as they are critics.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually think that would be kinda gross.

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Ozzie

You do realize Contradiction is highly likely to be the way they'll theme the GOTY videos this year?

^ I reaaaaally hope your right

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

I'll just leave a few of these here. The GOTY 2011 FMV videos are some of the best stuff they've ever done. Very memorable. A game could be awesome, but I'd imagine it would have to be fan based and use pre-existing content.

Here's all the amazing FMV videos they did for GOTY 2011: http://www.giantbomb.com/search/?indices[0]=video&page=1&q=game%20of%20the%20year%202011

Maybe Dave Lang can make it in Flash. He knows that software pretty well.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By planetfunksquad

@crembaw: What if it was just a HTML5 game they released to premium members as part of the sub? I realise that wouldn't happen because of the time and monetary investment involved in making a game, but I think that would be a cool thing.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'd be damn cool but even creating a simple FMV game would probably take at the very least 6 months of full-time work. Writing the script, filming the videos, editing, programming the game, doing a soundtrack... that's a ton of work for people who have never made a game before. They would have to hire at least one programmer who has experience in game development when they could probably hire two editors for the same price.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By colourful_hippie

I'd kickstart that

Maybe Dave Lang can make it in Flash. He knows that software pretty well.

Never not funny

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crembaw: What if it was just a HTML5 game they released to premium members as part of the sub? I realise that wouldn't happen because of the time and monetary investment involved in making a game, but I think that would be a cool thing.

That sounds like the actual grossest and least cost-intensive way they could go about it, but if subscribers want it, then sure whatever.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

Just here to chime in that games are hard as shit to make. Not sayin it wouldn't be dope as hell, but naw. Not possible w/out hiring a buncha people to do it and hiring people is expensive as hell. I doubt the thing would end up being profitable so it's unlikely they'd get it green lit by CBSi.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

They should just make a romance Visual Novel instead. All they need is like 3 pictures per person of different emotions, a couple pictures of the office, and then get someone to write the dialogue. There are plenty of visual novel creators out there that are pretty easy to figure out.

Its way easier then FMV, and I get to live out my dream of dating Vinny.

In fact, if they just send me the pictures I will make this happen.

LifeByDegrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Game of the Year Videos = The Yearly School Play of Giant Bomb

The one difference being that school plays are often built out over a full school year- rather than in a few weeks leading up to GOTY.

If this was to actually come into being- I think a more spread out process would be required- or a similar filming schedule to GOTY- followed by months of development by 3rd-Party/Community members.

The issues I see coming into play:

1. We're impatient - We can't stand to wait more than few days without complaining. The longer wait times can work out- but they're not as conducive to traffic goals or preferred by the audience. SEE EPISODIC GAMING

2. Whatever this would be- it would be an immense scheduling project. Coordinating the various portions of brainstorming, pre-production, production, and post would become at least one person's full time job.

3. Would you want this to be more parody, like GOTY often is? Or something on the more internally conceived/original content side of the spectrum?

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crembaw: I guess I just don't understand what would be gross about it. Totally hypothetical obviously so it doesn't matter, I'm just curious.