Goodbye Gamepro my old friend

Trauma2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Trauma2007

Don't know if anyone else has read this but another classic gaming site/mag has fallen. Followed the Magazine since I was but a young gamer. Hope all the staff finds something new, sad to see this especially this time of the year.

industrygamers.com/news/gamepro-i…

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By SMTDante89

I honestly haven't read GamePro in years, but I do have a few fond memories of the magazine. I hope for the best for all the staff that are out of a job now.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

Wow, magazine, website, the whole damn thing. I was more of an EGM guy, but I did read my nephew's GamePros. Good luck to the employees.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By McGhee

I didn't know Gamepro had lasted this long.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By BonOrbitz

It's a bummer because it's yet another reminder of my own mortality since I subscribed to GamePro back in 89-91 (not to mention I'm currently in the print publishing industry so we'll see how long that lasts). The magazine became too "kiddy" to me, their cover artwork was weak in comparison to EGMs, and the reviews were always so predictable. I always wondered how much advertising dollars affected their reviews. I loved their show back in the day with JD Roth. Although there were a lot of repeats and it was cheesy, watching a show that covered video games blew my mind.

Fast forward to a couple of years back and I was excited to hear that John Davison joined them so I resubscribed. The magazine was great and you really could see their direction and their European influences. I don't think we'll ever see them again, unlike EGM, but who knows?

RIP Gamepro and thanks for the memories (and the term "ProTip")

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RE_Player1

Never read Gamepro nor visited the site but it always sucks hearing people lose their jobs.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SpaceRunaway

@McGhee said:

I didn't know Gamepro had lasted this long.

RIP Gamepro for sure, I remember that magazine fondly, but, uh, I'm also surprised to hear they weren't already gone.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mikemcn

Must have been pushed out by the growth of Giant Bomb.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Marz

I still have a stack of their magazines in my closet that are about 10+ years old.    I also won a Sega Genesis from them through one of their mail in contests.... that was heavily unexpected and was grateful to them for the prize.  Sad to see em go though... their material sort of deteriorated after the 2000's.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Barrock

That sucks. Davidson joined and righted their ship. Then they started not reviewing games and then started only coming out every couple of months. Shit I hope Karen Chu is okay. :(

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By MetalBaofu

I used to subscribe to them...got some magazines around somewhere. I eventually switched to EGM, then they went away. I've been meaning to start my EGM back up since they came back, but I haven't done it yet.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By LiquidSwords

Can't believe they lasted so long! Sad to see them go.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187

Pouring a sip for fallen homies on this one. I was subscribed throughout the SNES/Genesis/PS1 days. It was THE magazine besides EGM. I miss those days.

RIP

@Marz said:

I still have a stack of their magazines in my closet that are about 10+ years old. I also won a Sega Genesis from them through one of their mail in contests.... that was heavily unexpected and was grateful to them for the prize. Sad to see em go though... their material sort of deteriorated after the 2000's.

Shit, I've still got Gamepro mags from when Mortal Kombat 3 WAS ANNOUNCED. lol

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By rentfn

That is a bummer. It's been decent the past few years with the addition of new people. Hope they all land on their feet.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BonOrbitz

@metalhead87 said:

I used to subscribe to them...got some magazines around somewhere. I eventually switched to EGM, then they went away. I've been meaning to start my EGM back up since they came back, but I haven't done it yet.

If you do subscribe, let me know how their delivery is. I subscribed with excitement when the magazine fired up again, but then I didn't receive random issues. I'd contact Customer Service to notify them and they tell me I'd have to wait a month to see if I received it. I'd wait a month, then contact them again to have them send me an issue which wouldn't arrive anyway. I come to find that EGM's customer service is located in Florida while the publisher is in California. I emailed the editorial contact email regarding my hit-and-miss subscription and never heard anything from them. I've been in the print publication industry at multiple publishers for over a decade and if customer service got a call from a customer saying they didn't receive an issue, an issue would be sent out ASAP.

It's too bad, really. I did enjoy the content and design of the new EGM (as well as their iOS content), but I did not resubscribe.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Man, makes me sad. Used to buy these all the time as a kid and took their reviews as if they were the only opinions in the world. I'll probably cry myself to sleep if I haul out my old box of gaming magazines.

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Punk1984

While it makes me sad to see an industry institution go...I always hated Gamepro.

Avatar image for everydayodyssey
EverydayOdyssey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By EverydayOdyssey

That stinks. I too got my first GamePro (Issue #1) free from Toys R Us. I also bought the first (and last) Quaterly. Frankly, I thought it was just okay- too much fluff. I'd like to see Wired focus a few more pages on the game industry.

Matterless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Matterless

I just found out and came here to post this. GamePro was the first non-Nintendo Power game mag I ever bought. Sending good thoughts to those losing their jobs, particularly this time of year.

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JoeyIA

@Barrock said:

That sucks. Davidson joined and righted their ship. Then they started not reviewing games and then started only coming out every couple of months. Shit I hope Karen Chu is okay. :(

Davidson, Bettenhausen, and Smith need to start a website.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c9a5152a56a
deactivated-63c9a5152a56a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This just paves the way for KatBaileybomb.com, and I'm all for it.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AngelN7

I remember watching the weekly news videos on the site before GB existed , those guys were really funny I kinda feel bad for them , GamePro probably was the first videogame site I visited but I stopped visiting the site a long time ago too so I guess I can't say anything.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lunar_Aura

It's surprising that they lasted this long.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cloudenvy

Man, I used to read GamePro. : (

Good times.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By JCTango

Kinda sucks, since I remember reading a few gamepro mags when I was a kid. I bought some to read during my work breaks too, during my teen years. I haven't really read any of their content since.. but it's still pretty sad. It's just another paper-product victim of the internet age =(. I liked their mini-guides and walkthroughs.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By napalm

GamePro was my childhood videogaming magazine. This is no good.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Still_I_Cry

Wow, even I remember briefly picking one up and reading it when I was a kid back when N64 was first around (I'm not a gaming magazine kind of person). I think I picked it up at FuncoLand. (I miss them D:)

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MikkaQ

Wow, that's too bad for their staff. Still, the last time I read Gamepro was in 2002, I remember reading the review for Morrowind, which sold me on it.