Got a Pretty Good Idea for the Site, I Think

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FunExplosions

We all have different feelings towards Brad Nicholson's recent contributions to Giant Bomb. He posts some rumors, he posts some obscure and unimportant things, and he posts information at a pretty heavy pace. I really just treat his information like I think we all should, I think. I look at it, decide if it interests me, and then click it if it does.

Obviously some people don't think "these kinds" of things should be on Giant Bomb, and that it kind of disrupts the image they have grown to love. Looking at the front page recently, I've noticed that some of his posts appear really frequently, essentially shoving the Original Staff's stuff off the front page. That's what bothers me. I think what he's doing is a good thing, but I want it somewhere else. There should be a little "Nicholson's News" section tacked onto the bottom of the main feature-list. And if that's too far down for the really important posts, then of course the important ones can be put up into the original features list. I think this would work really well. Everyone will probably quickly learn to scroll down to check for more updates from him, and it will keep the Original Staff's featured posts more prevalent, as they should be. I'd love to see this implemented somehow. What do you guys think?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By armaan8014

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FunExplosions
@The_Laughing_Man: Oh, come on  man. That thread is way too vague, and the first suggestion I saw, which quickly had an "agreement response," was for the dumbest and worst suggestion possible, which is for an IRC chat.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kmdrkul

No, while I appreciate that you gave a level-headed response and only meant well, I think this entire affair between people who like and don't like New Brad is ridiculous and should be banned from the forums.  He is here, deal with it; like you said, if the article sounds like it may interest you, click it, if it doesn't, don't.  Articles from the "Big Four" being bumped off the front page is a non-issue because it takes a grand total of two clicks to go to the next page.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@FunExplosions said:
" @The_Laughing_Man: Oh, come on  man. That thread is way too vague, and the first suggestion I saw, which quickly had an "agreement response," was for the dumbest and worst suggestion possible, which is for an IRC chat. "
However it is an anchored thread. That is where suggestions go. 
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FunExplosions
@kmdrkul: Yeah, but sometimes I'll still miss some of the stuff the guys post, because there's no way for me to know when more Main Staff stuff was posted, and Nicholson's posts have shoved some stuff off. And again, I know I'm referring to his posts as intrusive, but I really appreciate them, especially the ones I find interesting. And I don't like having them in the same section, just because I feel that it disrupts that old feel of the site. I'm not against new things and new people, but what he's doing is drastically different, and it would just make sense for everyone to move it to a sub-reel below the original.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FunExplosions
@The_Laughing_Man:  Oh... didn't see the anchor. Oh well then. I guess I'll just abandon this and let it be locked. Too bad, because I doubt many great suggestions will be seen, being buried in that thread full of mostly-nothing.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kmdrkul
@FunExplosions: I understand what you're saying but to me this "issue" isn't even about that.  I just find it entirely disrespectful to Nicholson as both a writer and an employee that people consider him "less of a human" than Jeff and Co. 
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince

Guys, leave Nicholson alone. My goodness. He's just reporting what every other site is reporting as well. It isn't even that distracting. Just don't read it if you don't like it.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FunExplosions
@kmdrkul said:

" @FunExplosions: I understand what you're saying but to me this "issue" isn't even about that.  I just find it entirely disrespectful to Nicholson as both a writer and an employee that people consider him "less of a human" than Jeff and Co.  "

I think there's still a misunderstanding here. I don't consider him anything less than the rest of the Staff. I feel bad for him whenever people post asshole crap in his post's comments. I just realize that his input is entirely different than that of the rest of the Giant Bomb's staff. It would be a great benefit to both him and the other staff, if the two styles were split.
@LiquidPrince:
Er... Did you just read a couple of my lines and then post that? No one in this entire thread is dissing on him. No offense, but I think you need to re-read my post.

I guess both of your guys' skepticism comes from the natural reaction to expect people to be ragging on Nicholson. I'm really not. I appreciate what he's doing and don't think there's much that's needed to be discussed. But at the same time, it would be foolish to ignore the obvious outcry whenever he posts a story. Those angry people aren't going to leave, and neither are the people who like his stuff, so let's just please everyone and split the stuff up.
chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By chstupid

Better Idea GIANTBOMB 3D
Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Colin
@chstupid said:
"Better Idea GIANTBOMB 3D "

Best idea ever.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LiquidPrince
@FunExplosions: 

I did read the whole thing and no offense, but it is still asinine. Brad is doing his job, nothing more, nothing less. While you think your intentions were good, they still stem from the fact that people have been making stupid complaints and ragging on him for no reason. To create a thread where you discuss the possibility of partitioning him off from the rest of the team is quite rude. It's like saying, hey, why don't you go stand in the corner there, away from the rest of the team. It's all uncalled for.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Skytylz

I support this.  I don't read any news articles anymore, because there is so many.  I get my news from Shacknews.  I only watch videos here now. 

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FunExplosions
@LiquidPrince: 
But that's not the point. His input is different, and there's a lot more of it than the other stuff. It really would benefit everyone, even him, if it's taken apart like that. Also, he may think it's rude at first, but after his first post under this format change, when he sees that there isn't incredibly hateful comments all over the place, he might start to like things a lot more. He must feel like crap, every time he posts something, there's someone within the first page calling for his removal. This will definitely lessen these comments. And like I said, his contributions are different and they are very numerous. It would be smart to move his stuff to his own section - if for nothing else - because he's working too hard. I don't actually think people can work "too hard," I'm just saying that he's posting a LOT of info (a good thing).
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BraveToaster

I don't understand why so many people dislike the man.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FunExplosions
@Axxol: They think he's ruining what they've grown to love for the past year-or-so. In truth, he's not. But it really appears that way, and based on your comment, it seems everyone is well-aware of the dislike. This shouldn't be the case. A large chunk of people should not be actively disliking a member of the staff. That's one of the reasons I'm proposing this idea. I think it would greatly decrease the all the hate, and would make the man sleep a lot better.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19  Edited By natetodamax

Nobody would read it if it was in a different place.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FunExplosions
@natetodamax: It's just one suggestion. Maybe a little tab behind the usual comments. So you can flip between the two stories. Maybe a little "Nicholson" blurb along the top of the screen (between the Giant Bomb logo and the search bar) which has a clickable little "read more" after the little blurb about his most recent post.

But in all truth, I think people would still read the posts, especially if they have already exhausted the other stories. It would be between the default story-reel and the most recent forum topics, so if you were on your way to look at the forums, you may also see something that might interest you.

Again, just suggestions. If this was implemented, it would be in the way that the staff deemed most effective. (Please don't quote this sentence and say, "You mean not doing any of this?")
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BraveToaster

There's no need to make a section specifically for one member. If you happen to come across one of his articles, all you have to do is skip it.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CowMuffins
@natetodamax said:
" Nobody would read it if it was in a different place. "
Technically people can read it on every other news blog that reports it before him.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By damnboyadvance

Maybe the other staff members have small sections on the homepage dedicated to showing what they are reporting.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By grilledcheez

I understand what you're saying, but a lot of what he posts can still be considered "news" and therefore should remain on the front page.  I think the last thing this site needs is a lot of segmentation.  That would just ruin the simplicity of the front page.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By aurahack
@chstupid said:

" Better Idea GIANTBOMB 3D "

Boom.      

No Caption Provided
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By meteora

He's here to stay guys. The "big four" will dedicate the rest of their time in doing more important stuff, like quick looks and the bombcasts.