GotG: Bastion vs. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Poll GotG: Bastion vs. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (698 votes)

Bastion 90%
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies 11%

Main thread

Full bracket

Another slightly disparate match-up (don't worry, there's some even crazier ones coming up) and it'll be a tough choice if you fans of both.

Bastion (2011)

What the community has to say:

You may have noticed I haven't exactly said anything bad about Bastion, but that's because I'm really struggling to. It's really a combination of a lot of the best aspects of many games and putting them together into something that feels inspired but not derivative.

From user review by @insanejedi

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (2009)

What the community has to say:

With it's lighthearted feel, fast battles, and intruiging story, this game manages to grab ahold of you, and never let go. So far, I've put 50 hours into it, about five or six of them postgame, and it's proven to be one of the best games all year. I'd sincerely. suggest picking up the game, and finding out why Japan loves it so much.

From user review by @masterherocard

Voting closes at 12pm GMT / 4am PST Saturday.

• 
bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Bas

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

..... wow, wow.... I'm stumped.... really loved DQ9.....

But man Bastion, I replayed that on a chrome browser just to see if it could run. It was worth replaying, and it's so simple to show off to anyone who's a none gamer.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By TheHT

Sentinels of who now?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#4  Edited By StarvingGamer

Given how much I actively disliked Bastion, I have to give DQ my vote despite never playing it. Of course this is Giantbomb so now way does a JRPG beat Bastion.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Canteu

DQ IX is amazing. But we're on GB and everyone's a fanboy here, so it's got no chance against Bastion.

I actively did not like Bastion and spent like 400 hours in DQIX.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu said:

DQ IX is amazing. But we're on GB and everyone's a fanboy here, so it's got no chance against Bastion.

Lol.

Anyways, played both and enjoyed both, but Bastion is probably on my Top 15 of the generation list, and DQIX isn't. Soooo...Bastion.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen: Prove me wrong. But you can't so nevermind.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AMyggen

@canteu said:

@amyggen: Prove me wrong. But you can't so nevermind.

Prove you wrong about what? That every person on GB is a fanboy? A Bastion fanboy or a fanboy in general? Either meaning is just a ridiculous statement, so dumb that I don't need to "prove you wrong" because the statement in and of itself is so obviously wrong.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Canteu

@amyggen: Internet. Hyperbole. Obvious.

Meaning a lot of people here don't know what they like, so they just like what the crew likes to save themselves the time. GB fanboys, not bastion fanboys.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@hailinel's gonna start bashing skulls in once he sees the results.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

DQ9 is like game that is being raised to be hunted and eaten by Bastion in this bracket.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AMyggen

@canteu:

Eh, I doubt a lot of people voted Bastion because Jeff liked it or whatever. My guess is that a LOT more users played Bastion than DQ IX (Dragon Quest is pretty obscure in the West, at least compared to "indie darling" Bastion). And maybe some people who played both, like me, actually liked Bastion better? Or maybe I'm just voting Bastion because of dat Giant Bomb bias...

You could maybe argue that people need to play both games before voting in a poll like this, but that's never gonna happen.

Anyways, saying "But we're on GB and everyone's a fanboy here (..)" isn't a good way of starting a conversation, and makes you sound like a DQ IX fanboy more than anything else.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By SharkEthic
@canteu said:

@amyggen: Internet. Hyperbole. Obvious.

Meaning a lot of people here don't know what they like, so they just like what the crew likes to save themselves the time. GB fanboys, not bastion fanboys.

Did I miss a "Do you know what you like?" survey, or are you just being pissy that that dragon game is getting fucked in the ass by Bastion (which is a fantastic game...I think, let me just check with @brad and get back to you)?

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By blackichigo

I love DQ9 but this isn't even a fair fight.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gatehouse

I love Bastion. Everything about it grabbed me. The art style, the gameplay that was far more varied than I first thought it was and the music. Oh sweet lord the music.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Phatmac

Bastion is pretty much one of the best games of the generation. It does just about everything right from the music, to the graphics, gameplay, polish, replay-ability, and much more. It's also a game that wastes little time in getting you into the action without being boring by telling you it's story with a lot of cut scenes. The narrator truly brings perfect harmony between gameplay and story. It respects the player by letting them keep on playing without having no control in story moments. It also has a deep combat system that has weapons that are good in most situations. Bastion should easily win this. No offense to Dragon Quest.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know whats going to win this one but that doesn't make Bastion any good, game the generation my ass. It is a boring birds eye view dungeon hack game with a narrator that got on my nerves in less than 10 minutes.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bastion. The ending is one of my most memorable gaming moments of this generation.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By musubi

@canteu: Or...and stay with me here Bastion is a really well made game that garnered high praise from some of the biggest names in the industry as well as being extremely popular with most gamers as well.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love both, even though it has no chance I have to give my vote to DQ9 though.

The main game was good, but DQ9 really shines in the post game. There's so much to do I spent well over a hundred hours in that game and didn't complete even half of the quests. They supported the game long after release as well, with new free quests every week and a rotating shop with rare items based on some sort of theme (Christmas, slime week, Halloween, etc).

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Fuck. This.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu said:

And yet everybody else is a biased fuckwit.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Ok, I never played Dragon Quest, so I'll abstain from voting, but just my two cents: Bastion is a decent game with amazing art design and a sometimes cool, sometimes goofy narrative style. It might count as a cult classic, but I don't know that it'll hold up in any 'best of' discussions outside of it's year of release.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CaLe

I am largely unable to enjoy jarpegs, so Bastion it is, even though I didn't finish it.

With it's lighthearted feel, fast battles, and intruiging story, this game manages to grab ahold of you, and never let go. So far, I've put 50 hours into it, about five or six of them postgame, and it's proven to be one of the best games all year. I'd sincerely. suggest picking up the game, and finding out why Japan loves it so much.

A whole 3 Stars worth of Lovin'
A whole 3 Stars worth of Lovin'

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ravenlight

Bastion for the soundtrack alone.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't enjoy Bastion besides the soundtrack but DQ9 was awesome. Kinda wish I finished it.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale:

You're holding up Amazon reviews as a source of authority? That's like holding up Gamespot reviews as a source of authority.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: With over 1500 reviews, I reckon it's a little more representative than the views of one person.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even know what DQ 9 is. Never played it. Bastion however had a great sale on Steam. So I can only vote for it.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dragon Quest IX was amazing.. but Bastion wins here, no contest.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale:

I meant to say "GameSpot user reviews", but I'm an asshole.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale said:

@video_game_king: With over 1500 reviews, I reckon it's a little more representative than the views of one person.

Again, they're Amazon reviews.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CaLe
BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The tears of DQ fans, they are so delicious.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The tears of DQ fans, they are so delicious.

@cale said:

@hailinel: Yes.

No Caption Provided

OK, fine. Turn this into a troll thread. I can see that this going to get real ugly really fast.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Don't even know what DXQZY is or something. Bastion?

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CaLe

@video_game_king: It's Dragon Quest, it's expected to sell well in Japan, like CoD is expected to sell well in the US (and plenty of people still play old CoD games). I'm not even saying it's a bad game, for all I know it could be amazing for those who are into that style of game. I was just interested in finding out what the consensus was after seeing that quote in the OP and did a search. 1500+ reviews seems like a decent amount of reviews to get a general idea on what people feel about the game. I've never got the feeling that people abuse Amazon reviews in Japan, if that's what you're implying? You feel this isn't representative? Do you harbor feelings of suspicion towards people who write Amazon reviews? Are they not worthy?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claude said:

Don't even know what DXQZY is or something. Bastion?

I think it's like a mobile game or something that you can buy at the toilet store.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

DQ 9 was such a token offering but hey.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale: Amazon reviews are subject to the same skewed scoring as any other outlet that allows user reviews. Would you trust the user review scores on Metacritic?

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have voted every other DQ (main series) over Bastion, but unfortunately DQ IX never really clicked for me...

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never played Dragon Quest, but I don't like Bastion very much, so I'll refrain from voting on this one.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

Dragon Quest IX sucks. Super disappointed after the surprisingly amazing DQ VIII.

And by DQ I mean Dairy Queen, of course.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CaLe

@hailinel: No, because I've seen them get abused many times. I do trust the proper reviews score on Metacritic, simply because it's extremely rare that I play a game and feel the Metacritic score is way off. I haven't seen reviews being abused on Amazon (JP), and when looking through a lot of the games I've played, the score on there seems pretty representative of what I would give it. If it was completely obvious there was some abuse going on, I wouldn't have posted that picture.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By Brendan

Havent played DQ9, sorry.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale said:

If it was completely obvious there was some abuse going on, I wouldn't have posted that picture.

Or you could simply ignore it and post the picture, anyway. I mean, you're in a perfect position to do that. I'm the only other person in this thread who understands Japanese, and we both know that my knowledge of the language isn't good enough to read those reviews. That leaves nobody who can challenge your opinion with any real authority.

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Pabba

Both are great, and I put over 125 hours into DQ9, but it's not going to get much love from the community here unfortunately.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CaLe
@video_game_king said:

@cale said:

If it was completely obvious there was some abuse going on, I wouldn't have posted that picture.

Or you could simply ignore it and post the picture, anyway. I mean, you're in a perfect position to do that. I'm the only other person in this thread who understands Japanese, and we both know that my knowledge of the language isn't good enough to read those reviews. That leaves nobody who can challenge your opinion with any real authority.

I don't think ability to read Japanese even factors in when there's this many reviews to pull from. I also have no reference to judge whether what someone says about the game is accurate or not as I've never played it. I just think with this many reviews, it's got to be at least somewhat representative, no? Of course there are probably some in there who have unfairly given it a 1, and probably the same for some who have given it a 5, but with so many reviews, that stuff kinda gets cancelled out. I've found that at least, using Amazon over the years, if there are a lot of reviews, it's usually pretty accurate. Just my personal experience, could be different for others.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers