GotG Round 1: Grand Theft Auto V vs. Sleeping Dogs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Poll GotG Round 1: Grand Theft Auto V vs. Sleeping Dogs (915 votes)

Grand Theft Auto V 48%
Sleeping Dogs 52%

Main thread

Full bracket

To finish off round 1 we've got an open world bloodbath but are the streets running red in Hong Kong or Los Santos?

Grand Theft Auto V (2013)

What the community has to say:

Rockstar has successfully made another great GTA game, with enough new elements and twists to keep you playing through its long story. The heists are a wonderful addition to the series, and the 3 playable protagonists introduce a new dynamic that could be the next big thing with open-world games.

From user review by @daiphyer

Sleeping Dogs (2012)

What the community has to say:

Its hard to believe a game with the troubled development that Sleeping Dogs had ended up being so good. United Front Games succeeds with Sleeping Dogs by designing an open world game around fun elements, and not the other way around. For me personally, Sleeping Dogs is the first open world game to combine great individual elements into something that I highly recommend to anyone.

From user review by @geflato

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST Thursday.

• 
FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#201  Edited By FilipHolm

@yummylee said:
@filipholm said:

Satire is also one of my favorite kinds of humor and GTA manages to pull that off really well without appearing to try too hard.

What. Are you talking about GTA in general or specifically V? Because V's radio/TV/internet stuff is some of the most unfunny slop of 'satire' I've encountered in recent memory.

In this instance I was talking about V. I do agree that some of the tv/radio stuff wasn't their best work, I think that in particular was better in IV. But I enjoyed the commentary that was baked into the story as it went along.

The internet was great in V though, so... take that

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

You know, this game of the generation thing here on GB has been a joke ever since Deadly Premonition ("one of the greatest games ever made," - Vinny Caravella) lost to Portal 2. And this? Well, I'm not surprised, though I disagree strongly.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#203  Edited By altairre
@nasar7 said:

@hermes: Never said GTA 5 deserves game of the gen, but it definitely beats Sleeping Dogs.

And if you don't agree with that you're a video game hipster? Alright then.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@yummylee said:
@filipholm said:

Satire is also one of my favorite kinds of humor and GTA manages to pull that off really well without appearing to try too hard.

What. Are you talking about GTA in general or specifically V? Because V's radio/TV/internet stuff is some of the most unfunny slop of 'satire' I've encountered in recent memory.

In this instance I was talking about V. I do agree that some of the tv/radio stuff wasn't their best work, I think that in particular was better in IV. But I enjoyed the commentary that was baked into the story as it went along.

The internet was great in V though, so... take that

I did find the baby name generator to be pretty funny least, so... I'll give it that much.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@nasar7: Its a matter of what people appreciate to make the decision: is it a relevant/important game in the context of the generation? or did I enjoyed it? If you are going for the first approach, then probably GTA 5 would have to win. If you are going for the second approach, I think Sleeping Dogs is simply better...

Then again, if people were going for the first approach, Heavy Rain would have won over Ghost Trick and we would have GTA 4 instead of 5 here so, there is that.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Jeez, this poll has been stuck on the exact same percentages for so long that it's almost a little eerie. Makes me wonder if shenanigans are afoot!?

No Caption Provided

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@hermes: Game of the year is for what game you like best, so I don't see why Game of the Generation would be any different. It's not like Times' Person of the Year.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@veektarius: Though Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize for not being George W. Bush.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#209  Edited By hermes

@veektarius: Again, it depends on how you approach the question. If it was purely about games/series that I enjoyed, I would rather have Bayonetta out there than Assassins Creed; but in terms of who better represents this generation, I can't really argue with that result.

That is why I can't really say I don't understand some people thinking GTA should, at least, get to second round (even when I don't agree with them); although I do have a problem with people calling those that disagree with them "hipsters"

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#210  Edited By mosespippy

@hermes: Game of the year is for what game you like best, so I don't see why Game of the Generation would be any different. It's not like Times' Person of the Year.

Speaking as Times' Person of the year for 2006 I'd have to say that both are pointless in their outcome but interesting talking points along the way.

Whamola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Whamola

As much as I love GTAV, I have to give it to Sleeping Dogs.

Sleeping Dogs is just a better, more focused game. I really loved Michael, Franklin, and Trevor, and I loved how it was basically a story of three people with terrible pointless lives and how they deal with it. But Wei Shen is just a really great, funny, well acted character.

Sleeping Dogs combat system was really unique for an open world driving game, and I loved how even when you start getting guns, you usually don't use them unless something huge is going on.

After playing a ton of each game, I still want to go back and play more Sleeping Dogs, and that's something I don't feel about GTAV

EDIT: Also, it's bullshit that Deadly Premonition was voted out. Shame on you all.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@hermes said:

@veektarius: Again, it depends on how you approach the question. If it was purely about games/series that I enjoyed, I would rather have Bayonetta out there than Assassins Creed; but in terms of who better represents this generation, I can't really argue with that result.

That is why I can't really say I don't understand some people thinking GTA should, at least, get to second round (even when I don't agree with them); although I do have a problem with people calling those that disagree with them "hipsters"

I don't think that a generation needs a 'representative'. To the extent that your preferences are too niche to represent the proper ranking of things, this should be borne out in the aggregate and you have no reason to worry about voting your heart.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Salty Crab motherfuckers.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted Sleepy Dawgs. I just had way more fun playing that game last year in comparison to gta 5. It also really didnt help that after I finished GTA 5 came out I played saints row 4 and instantly had more fun with that as well. The heist thing you do see quite a few times in games and same goes with a setting in sunny California areas but SD was one of the first times I played in a Hong Kong setting (which I felt was perfect to what I would build it as if it were a 90s style cop drama thing). I also loved the radio stations in SD which introduced me to quite a few new bands/labels that I now listen to regularly but nothing like that has happened with GTA 5. Also Karaoke guys!!

Ive played enough GTA online to know that I dont even care about the free 500k anymore (and I think ive only played around 10 hours at most online). While GTA 5 was huge I felt like I didnt care for two/thirds of it and the storyline didnt much either (besides the trevor section in the desert) the majority of that singleplayer game was spent in the city.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Grand Theft Auto V is an impressive technical fest that has some fun open world fun. Sleeping Dogs was fun, but it was just another game trying to be GTA.

Evikull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sleeping Dogs wins and here's why:

I can press a button to go straight to the map.

I can press a button to toggle between waypoints in-world.

Cockfights.

Boom, there's your game of the generation. GTA V ain't shit son.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Round 1 comes to a close with an upset! Sleepy Dawgz manages to edge out GTA V with 52% of the vote and 891 votes cast.