GotG Round 1: The Walking Dead - Season One vs. Alan Wake

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Poll GotG Round 1: The Walking Dead - Season One vs. Alan Wake (686 votes)

The Walking Dead - Season One 79%
Alan Wake 21%

Main thread

Full bracket

We're into the final eight matches of round 1.

The Walking Dead - Season One (2012)

What the community has to say:

Telltale have made what I consider their most complete and powerful game ever in The Walking Dead. They truly understand the source material and have adapted in wonderfully for the medium, and the passion that they have oozes from this title. The Walking Dead is a game that build upon its character driven focus and fills its events with emotion that really gets the player attached and invested in the story of Lee.

From user review by @thesilentgod

Alan Wake (2010)

What the community has to say:

This game combines the best elements of gameplay, story, characters, atmosphere, and music into a beautiful work of art. The game will leave you wanting more in a good way and each time you play it will find something you might have missed previously that will help you understand more about what is going on and why. Truly one of the best games that I have played in a long time.

From user review by @atsnead

Voting closes at 12pm GMT / 4am PST Thursday.

• 
gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I really wanted to love Alan Wake, I really did. But just too much repetitive combat holds it back. That being said, The Walking Dead is easily at the tippy-top of the pile for me, so it gets my vote after zero deliberation.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

The Walking Dead. Done.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Ironically like the entire premise of the gameplay of the walking dead, this was a terrible decision to make. I really enjoyed Alan wake, so it got my vote. I know it'll lose, but I want it to know I cared.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Alan Wake but I loved The Walking Dead.

SuperTess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I loved The Walking Dead, but Alan Wake is my favorite game of forever.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Walking Dead was the first time I considered an indie game as a serious contender for GOTY, no qualifiers, no conditions, no "its good, FOR an indie game".

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This one is fucked! I love both of them. Oh man!

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Walking Dead

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

This only reminds me that I need to install Alan Wake and play it one of these days.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Well, Alan Wake got set up to get punched in the mouth.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I loved Alan Wake but it doesn't compare to Walking Dead for me.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I hate the TWD so much. It's a game that rides entirely on the strength of its story, writing and acting and i felt the story was bland and predictable the writing at best average and the acting of the two main protagonist to be poor throughout. Those 3 aspects are entirely subjective of course but the rest of the package is not, so put that in perspective with how piss poor and broken everything else is and while everybody is screaming how amazing this game is all i can see is the worst game i ever bothered completing.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bigjeffrey

alanwake

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus: At last, a voice of sanity. Totally forgettable game with an embarassing amount of hype.

Alan Wake for sure.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#ForClementine

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Rough matchup. I was always a bit baffled that the general consensus on Alan Wake wasn't more positive. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to vote on this one yet...

Killerfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TWD. I liked Alan Wake but it wasn't what I wanted it to be, or imagined it to be when they made that first press release. I got way more into TWd's story, so it's definitely that for sure.

That fight on the heavy metal stage was pretty rad, though.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mrfluke

walking dead.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By GunstarRed

I enjoy much more about the Alan Wake universe. I liked TWD a bunch though.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I waited hours and hours for Alan Wake to get good. Eventually it did for like 10 minutes, and apparently everyone else hates that part.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By armaan8014

eh.. I enjoyed walking dead while I was playing it but looking back I don't treasure the memory as much. Felt it was a bit overrated. But then maybe adventure games aren't my thing?

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Alan Wake, but I feel like it shouldn't even be in this competition.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know the Walking Dead is going to win this and I am ok with that. I voted Alan Wake because I really loved that game and didn't want to vote for the clear winner.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By stryker1121

I enjoyed Alan Wake, never even got tired of the combat and the game's lighting mechanics are way cool. But it's not a complete experience, particularly in the story-telling which should have been the game's selling point. It devolves from Stephen King to Dean Koontz territory by the time the incomprehensible ending rolls around. Missed opportunity all around, though I'd love to see a proper sequel with some better writing.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The Walking Dead is all right, but there's no 70s Viking Metal band in it.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I love Remedy, but I think the combat in Alan Wake was just bad. Flat out. So shallow. And the story was pretty good I guess but not enough in my wheelhouse to carry it or anything. Or even as well executed in what it was trying to do as Max Payne 1 or 2.

Walking Dead speaks for itself. It's awesome.

@hunter5024 said:

I waited hours and hours for Alan Wake to get good. Eventually it did for like 10 minutes, and apparently everyone else hates that part.

Curious which part that was? I thought the part where you are in the clinic of sorts was easily the best part of the game if that's what you are referring to.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By joshwent

It devolves from Stephen King to Dean Koontz territory by the time the incomprehensible ending rolls around.

I'd say it devolves from a beginning of a Stephen King book... to an ending of a Stephen King book. I love a ton of his novels, but some set ups are too good to ever have a satisfying conclusion.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think The Walking Dead will be a game that is remembered from this generation in many years time.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Shaka999

I really enjoyed Alan Wake. Nifty little game & story.

That said, doesn't even compare to TWD.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

The writing in Alan Wake is better than the writing in The Walking Dead.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Walking Dead was amazing. No contest.

Alan Wake tried but wasn't really that great. It was just ok.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be totally OK calling The Walking Dead Season One my most fun & enjoyable experience of the generation.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think either are very good. I chose Alan Wake because I found it more interesting.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Easy win for TWD. Alan Wake shouldn't even be in the running.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Walking Dead is one of my favorite games ever now, so that's a pretty easy vote.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like them both but I look back on Alan Wake more fondly, especially if we're including the DLC episodes.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think you can even compare these two games.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alan Wake was fine. It had a good story but the gameplay never really clicked with me. I didn't like it when I tried it on XBOX and I didn't like it (though less so) when I played it on my PC. It was a good game that I'm so close to finishing, but I don't want to play it in order to do that.

The Walking Dead, on the other hand, was the best random purchase I've made to date. It wasn't just great to play through, it was even more entertaining to watch a friend play through after you have already done so. The wait for each episode built up the tension and suspense and when each episode came out it was time for celebration.

So I voted Walking Dead, despite not liking the TV show in the slightest. I just have to say that I'm done with Walking Dead, and am not interested in another story based on it. I'm 100% satisfied with where it ended up. I do want another Alan Wake though.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SlashDance

The Walking Dead is an important game. It shows interactivity can have meaning without challenge, something Quantic Dream has been trying to do for the past decade.

(Before someone points that out, I am aware that smaller indie games have been doing this for a very long time, but the fact that TWD was so huge is what makes it potentially important going forward)

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The creator of Walking Dead is a scumbag. Fuck that IP. ALLLLAAAANNNNN WAAAAAAAKE ....up.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I think The Walking Dead is mad overrated and I still think it's better than Alan Wake.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I absolutely love Alan Wake, and really enjoyed that combat for most of the game too. The worst of it was just one section where I kept dying but beyond that Alan Wake is one of my personal favorites from this generation in terms of character and story.

With that said, The Walking Dead is one some next level shit that most games this generation have a hard time touching and I can't not say The Walking Dead on this one.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads said:

@hunter5024 said:

Curious which part that was? I thought the part where you are in the clinic of sorts was easily the best part of the game if that's what you are referring to.

The part where you're like on a stage at those dudes farm I think. They gave you like infinite ammo and a super flashlight and just let you go to town.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads said:

@hunter5024 said:

The part where you're like on a stage at those dudes farm I think. They gave you like infinite ammo and a super flashlight and just let you go to town.

Oh okay. Yeah well many seem to like that part, reading this thread at least.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#46 gamer_152  Moderator

Absolutely The Walking Dead. I loved Alan Wake's Stephen King-esque story, it's dark world, and for a fair bit of the time it's light and dark mechanics, but I've played few to no other games as emotionally powerful as The Walking Dead. The characters were well-realised, deaths felt like a real loss, the game had you make genuinely really hard decisions, and in the end the whole thing was just heart-breaking.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024 said:

@artisanbreads said:

@hunter5024 said:

Oh okay. Yeah well many seem to like that part, reading this thread at least.

Well cool. I remember hearing a lot of people say it "undermined the games tension." Back when the game first came out, but maybe that was just in my circles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alan Wake, again by a mile. Walking Dead was awful; it had a really really bad story with annoying gameplay elements and mediocre voice acting. I couldn't stand it.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TheHT

The Walking Dead was Anxiety and Consequences: The Video Game. It was well written, well performed, and showed how far those could take a game. As an adventure game the puzzles are stupid easy, but the puzzles aren't the draw. It's the games often gut-wrenching choices that make for the real meat of the game, which is why the writing and performances are so important. The storytelling was the gameplay, and boy was it good.

More than good, it was affecting. The Walking Dead is memorable not because of any epic plot or amazing twitchy action, it's because I cared about the characters enough that when shit happened to them it was stressful as fuck.

Alan Wake was supernatural melodrama that revelled in its inspirations. Featuring classic Remedy attention to detail and tight gameplay. Hoofing it through the dark woods with a narrow flashlight beam marking your path when you know there are Taken closing in felt right. Turning around at the last second to catch a clearly bothered mad-man lunging at you but quickly dodging his hatchet before burning off the nebulous darkness eneveloping his body with your light and slugging him a few times to bring him down. The gameplay was solid, the atmosphere quintessential.

It's no slouch on the story front either. Learning about the Dark Presense, the history of Barbara Jagger and Zane, the lake, the manuscript, the clicker. No part dragged on, each episode ending with a cliffhanger that had you itching to keep going. The game wraps up most plot points nicely while leaving enough questions to keep the world on your mind.

I dunno. The Walking Dead really got to me, but Alan Wake really got to me too. As well-realized as the characters are in The Walking Dead, I think the story and style of Alan Wake is more my thing.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked Alan Wake, but I really love the Walking Dead as well, so it don't bother me none that it wins.