Greatest RPG of all-time?

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Belonpopo

The greatest RPG of all-time in my book is Pokemon. Pokemon is just so simple and so enjoyable at the sametime. It also holds some of my fondest memories. My runners up would be Oblivion, Ocarina of Time and Persona 4 in no particular order.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By PerryVandell

Who knew Ocarina of Time was an rpg.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Whisperkill

Ocarina of Time is not an RPG

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By sopranosfan

Fallout 3.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By bongchilla

I would choose chose Fallout as the greatest RPG of all time.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

Panzer Dragoon Saga. Anybody who answers otherwise is wronger than wrong; they are.....crap, there is no word for "wronger than wrong." Oh well, I'll make one up: Glenn Back. Anybody who doesn't think Panzer Dragoon Saga is the best RPG ever is Glenn Beck.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By sopranosfan
@Video_Game_King said:

" Panzer Dragoon Saga. Anybody who answers otherwise is wronger than wrong; they are.....crap, there is no word for "wronger than wrong." Oh well, I'll make one up: Glenn Back. Anybody who doesn't think Panzer Dragoon Saga is the best RPG ever is Glenn Beck. "

I haven't played it so I can't say that it is the greatest.  I have a PS1 so I may check it out.....be back in a minute going to ebay.

Edit:  That's a Sega Saturn game.....I will never get to play it.  I could of sworn that was a PS1 or PS2 game.
Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Kinarion

I have to say, I'm not all that partial to Oblivion.  It has the same fault as a lot of MMORPGs in that it has a massive world with tons to do, but one that still manages to feel unused.  Your character doesn't have a true narrative in the sense of many other great RPGs, and your actions seem inconsequential.

As far as the greatest, I suppose I have a few answers.  In terms of sheer mass of lore and universe, World of Warcraft has no real competition, but that's an MMORPG so I don't count it.  The RPG I played the most?  Fallout 3 and its DLC packs.  The RPG I'll always go back to?  Final Fantasy IV.  Greatest RPG of all time?  For most folks, I think that's probably good ol' table top D&D.

Tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Tomarlyn

KOTOR
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King
@sopranosfan: 

That is so horribly Glenn Beck, that I must hit you. *beats the hell out of y-
blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By blackbird415

fallout, final fantasy 7, elderscrolls 3 morrowind. uuummmmm theres more :P

edit: legend of dragoon 
tales of phantasia  (really good action rpg for the snes, the only english translation is in a rom format though, but this game is definitly amazing, esp. for when it came out)
torment

GRAND THEFT AUTO SAN ANDREAS HAHAHAH JK JK no.

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By K0rN

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By breadfan

No Caption Provided
Natedog24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Natedog24

Chrono Trigger

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By blackbird415
@Natedog24: YYYYYEEEEESSSSSS
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#16  Edited By ArbitraryWater
@Video_Game_King said:
" @sopranosfan:   That is so horribly Glenn Beck, that I must hit you. *beats the hell out of y- "
Not really. Now if he said that Panzer Dragoon Saga was crap without ever playing it, and then proceeded to pull reasons why it was bad out of his ass, that would be Glenn Beck esque. But this isn't the off topic board, so let's keep politics out of this. 

Oh, and the correct answer is Baldur's Gate II.
nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nohthink

No Caption Provided
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#18  Edited By sjschmidt93
@Natedog24 said:
" Chrono Trigger "
RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RaikohBlade

Final Fantasy 7, it had the greatest impact because it brought the non-hardcore gamers into the market.

Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cazamalos

No Caption Provided
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ArbitraryWater: 

Politics? I thought "Glenn Beck is every sort of wrong" was an absolute. Anyway, I'm still going with PDS, mainly because I haven't played a western RPG since Fable II (unless you count Persona, for whatever reason).
Frederik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Frederik
@Natedog24 said:
" Chrono Trigger "

We've got a winner!
No Caption Provided
spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By spankingaddict

halo 3, just kidding, but seriously...

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HaltIamReptar

Tales of Symphonia.  That is mostly because it was my first game longer than ten hours that I played to completion, and I have not played it in years.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Video_Game_King
@spankingaddict said:
" halo 3, just kidding, but seriously... "
I don't know where to begin criticizing you, so I'll let somebody else do that.
spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By spankingaddict

dude, im kidding, just making a bad joke(dont know why)... i dont even care for halo 3, i would maybe say fallout 3, its barely a rpg but thats my choice...

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By triple07
@cazamalos said:
"
No Caption Provided
"
This.
Arzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By Arzen

Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate, Chrono Trigger and Fallout would all be tied for my top spot.  Naming one of them the "greatest" is simply impossible.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By Potter9156

The correct answer is Morrowind. Followed closely by Arcanum.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hatking

I know I'll probably catch heat for this but I've been digging the Mass Effect games... thing is I can't really pick one.  Mass Effect 2 doesn't feel RPGish enough to say it is the best ever and Mass Effect 1 just has too many problems to say it; It is probably my favorite RPG narrative ever though.   

Fallout 3 drained a ton of hours from me but I never walked away from that game feeling totally happy about what I was doing, it was always just put up with a lot of stuff just so I can continue playing the good parts.  Oblivion was pretty much the same thing as Fallout except the bad parts weren't more technical and less just boring romp through lifeless world.   

I do have a very fond memory of KOTOR and Jade Empire but I feel like I owe much of that to nastalgia... I bet going back would show lots of flaws in those games, aside from the old technology they were built with. 

I suppose I don't have a favorite ever?  There are a lot of good ones out there, but they all seem to have flaws that prevent me from coming out and saying something like it is the best RPG ever.
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By august

No Caption Provided
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By august
@HaltIamReptar said:
" Tales of Symphonia.  That is mostly because it was my first game longer than ten hours that I played to completion, and I have not played it in years. "
I understand your perspective, but that game had some of the most nauseating jrpg characters and plot I've ever allowed myself to suffer through.
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By thatfrood

Morrowind, I guess.
So many hours spent with that game.
So. Many.

kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kingofpeanuts

I would have to go with Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, or Final Fantasy III/VI. FFIII/VI are the same thing, sort of, if you know final fantasy history.
My point is that the SNES produced so of the best RPGs.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hatking
@ThatFrood said:
"Morrowind, I guess. So many hours spent with that game. So. Many. "

It has one of the best themes of any RPG that is for sure.  Oh... the theme is so great.
HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HaltIamReptar
@august said:
" @HaltIamReptar said:
" Tales of Symphonia.  That is mostly because it was my first game longer than ten hours that I played to completion, and I have not played it in years. "
I understand your perspective, but that game had some of the most nauseating jrpg characters and plot I've ever allowed myself to suffer through. "
I know, I know.  I played it through to completion to get new game plus at least twice.  I really, really dug the combat system.  Also, at that time, I wasn't very much exposed to JRPG cliches, so it felt rather fresh to me.
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#37  Edited By Symphony

Someone has to say it, so I may as well get it over with: 

Dungeons & Dragons.

Edit: As to why? None of these sissy RPGs you mention (including Panzer Dragoon Saga!) would exist if it weren't for that. Ergo, Dungeons & Dragons is the greatest RPG ever. Ergo you're all wrong. Ergo you're all Glenn Beck, including VGK!

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By august
@HaltIamReptar said:

" @august said:

" @HaltIamReptar said:
I understand your perspective, but that game had some of the most nauseating jrpg characters and plot I've ever allowed myself to suffer through. "
I know, I know.  I played it through to completion to get new game plus at least twice.  I really, really dug the combat system.  Also, at that time, I wasn't very much exposed to JRPG cliches, so it felt rather fresh to me. "
The weird thing was the little skits were actually pretty good! But the angst! The angst.

The weird thing is that the only jrpg I've really straight up loved has been Skies of Arcadia. It has so many cliche's but there no creepy supernatural evil and the main characters are just some optimistic young people who don't spend an inordinate amount of time feeling sorry for themselves.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By Jeffsekai

Mass Effect 2 says HAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Final Fantasy 6.  Back when FF was good.  Before you could really see what the Devs where making their characters wear.   Back when the internet wasn't around, clouding our heads with nonsense about the next and newest games.  When you played the same game for months. 

And lets not forget one of the greatest bad guys and boss fights ever! 

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HaltIamReptar
@august said:
" @HaltIamReptar said:

" @august said:

" @HaltIamReptar said:
I know, I know.  I played it through to completion to get new game plus at least twice.  I really, really dug the combat system.  Also, at that time, I wasn't very much exposed to JRPG cliches, so it felt rather fresh to me. "
The weird thing was the little skits were actually pretty good! But the angst! The angst.

The weird thing is that the only jrpg I've really straight up loved has been Skies of Arcadia. It has so many cliche's but there no creepy supernatural evil and the main characters are just some optimistic young people who don't spend an inordinate amount of time feeling sorry for themselves. "
I was writing a response until I noticed the edit.
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#42  Edited By Symphony
@august said:
" @HaltIamReptar said:
" @august said:
" @HaltIamReptar said:

The weird thing is that the only jrpg I've really straight up loved has been Tales of Symphonia. It has so many cliche's but there no creepy supernatural evil and the main characters are just some optimistic young people who don't spend an inordinate amount of time feeling sorry for themselves. "
Have you tried Tales of Vesperia? Again it has some pretty obvious cliches, but like Symphonia, the characters are all outgoing and positive. Hell, Yuri is not afraid to get his hands dirty and do the things no one else wants to do, which is something so many JRPG main characters are afraid of -- they'd rather someone else do everything and say "Why does it have to be me? Waaa." There's something to be said about silent protagonists in that little rant somewhere but I digress.

I really enjoyed Symphonia (except Colette or whatever her name was... gods that voice actor... *Shudder* but at least you could hook up with Sheena, yay!) but felt Vesperia bested it in nearly every way... except maybe the bathhouse. Those costumes are terrible! ><
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By august

Yeah I had a brain fart there with the title.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HaltIamReptar
@Symphony: No 360, dude.  That is one of the few games that makes me want one, really bad.  Like, really bad.

The problem with Symphonia's voice acting wasn't so much the acting itself, but the horrible compression.  It sounded like they were speaking through one of those giant ass pipes in kid's playgrounds.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By PureRok
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By Brendan

I'm torn between FF7, KOTOR, and Mass Effect.
monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By monetarydread

Chrono Trigger is the RPG I have the fondest memories for.  I put a helluva lot of time into NIS strategy RPG's, mostly Makai Kingdom and Phantom Brave for me.

Avatar image for computerplayer1
Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48  Edited By Computerplayer1
@K0rN said:
" The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. "
Fixed.
K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By K0rN
@Computerplayer1 said:
" @K0rN said:
" The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. "
Fixed. "

Gee thanks, I never knew I was wrong about my own opinion.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By Skytylz
@triple07 said:
" @cazamalos said:
"
No Caption Provided
"