Has anyone ever bought two copies of a game before?

• 114 results
Pocky4Th3Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Pocky4Th3Win

I've purchased 4 copies of a game before. :o

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've bought four copies of Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2, each time for a different system.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Plenty of times, mostly because i didn't have access to them on one platform anymore or because they were real cheap and better on PC like the entire GTA collection for 13$.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I bought Fallout: New Vegas when it came out. Then all the stories came out about how broken it was with it locking up a lot and corrupting saves. So I decided I wasn't going to play it until the majority of the issues were fixed, but I ended up forgetting about it until the Ultimate Editions came out. The base game that was mostly patched up and all the DLCs for $40 was just too good an offer to pass up.

So yeah, I have two copies of New Vegas sitting side by side.

there's nothing wrong with that

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#55  Edited By bobafettjm

More times than I would ever want to admit. It doesn't even have to be a new edition, sometimes just on multiple platforms.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, gosh, between GOG, other DRM-free bundles, Steam, PS3, and Xbox 360, too many to run through. If I ever want that special kind of shame, I'll come back here and put down.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only game I remember ever doing this with was the first Witcher. I bought the first edition that had the absolutely awful translation - I mostly remember that because the head Witcher guy kept calling Triss 'Babe' the entire time, and I made it to the end of act 1 before setting it down and forgetting about it. Then the enhanced edition was release, and I saw it in stores, so I bought it again, got to act 3, and promptly forgot about it. Finally it was released on Steam, so I bought it yet again, played it up to act 3, forgot about it for a few months, and then came back to it a few months later and finished it.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few games. Generally they are console but later on sale I will pick up on pc, usually steam. That way I can preserve games. Dead Space, Bioshock 2, Dead souls, and so on. There have been old pc games (disc) I have bought on sale on steam again. And soon there will be another steam sale, and at least one game will reflect this pattern.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Yeah not proud of it.

• Most recently did for Dragon's Dogma when Dark Arisen came out.
  • Done it before for various Street Fighters.
  • Rebought several old NES games on the Wii SHop.
  • Humble Bundles have doubled me on some games I already own
  • I've also mistakenly rebought a couple games that were on my backlog before (like Metroid Prime 2)
intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got Battlefield 3 and Skryim for Xbox 360, then later built a PC and rebought them after selling my X360. They ended up being two totally different games between the two systems, though, so it was worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

WAY too many to list seeing as I'm on mobile, but offhand I know I own four different versions of Sonic Adventure 2, three New Vegas', and duplicates for nearly all Pokemon games on Gameboy platforms. (GB,GBC,GBA)

angouri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've bought several games again to have both on console and Steam copies...

• Valkyria Chronicles 2 (PSP) - physical first, digital after
  • Mass Effect - PCx2 (from EA (STUPID), and from Steam), and PS3
  • Mass Effect 2 - PC physical, PS3
  • AC1 and AC2 - PS3 and Steam
  • Batman Arkham Asylum - PS3 and Steam
  • Darksiders - PS3 and Steam
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution - PS3 and Steam
  • Hotline Miami - Steam and Vita
  • Just Cause 2 - PS3 and Steam
  • Popcap Games (PvZ, Bejewelled): Steam, PS3, Android, iOS, anything
  • Lara Croft and the guardian of Light - PS3 and Steam

I was a PC gamer until I switched to PS3, so a bunch of my steam versions have never been played. But I liked the games enough that I don't feel bad owning two (or 3...) copies.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of.

I own Dark Souls on PS3 and PC. I got it on the PC when it was on sale for $15 (same as the DLC) and figured why not.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah most of the time its been buy the game on console and then fast forward a few years later, oh shit these games are 5 bucks on sale for steam

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon's Dogma, and then DD:Dark Arisen. Diablo 3 on pc and 360. Dragon Age Origins on pc and 360. 2 copies of Demon's Souls accidentally through Amazon. 2 copies of Battlefield 2 on 360 because the first one cracked from so much use, lol. Gotta be more but care cup's empty.

Avatar image for thewonderwaffle
thewonderwaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got Halo 3 on disc, Halo 3: ODST (with the Halo 3 multiplayer disc) and just downloaded Halo 3 from Xbox Games with Gold last month...

THPS 1, 2, and 3 for N64, 2X and 3 for Xbox.

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland and Gun for Xbox and Xbox 360.

Also, I bought two copies of Haze for PS3 because one came with box art. <<

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#67  Edited By ArbitraryWater

As my GOG and Steam libraries will attest, I am willing to pay money for the privilege of never having to put a disk in my computer ever again, and when I went to school I didn't have access to my xbox. Which is why I bought PC versions of pretty much every game that I already owned for consoles and wanted to play at some point.

I also own two copies of Resident Evil 2 for some baffling reason, neither for the system it originally came out on.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Yep. I bought Neverwinter Nights when it first came out, but never purchased the expansions. Years later a bunch of friends got back into it, so I snagged the diamond edition. I also own two copies of Company of Heroes. Again I bought it at release and later friends got back into it, so I bought the collection during a Steam sale.

I've also bought games for multiple consoles. I had Trine and Bionic Commando Rearmed for PS3 before selling that console, then bought both for PC via Steam. Had Grand Theft Auto 4 on PS3, then bought it for PC. Owned Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2 for Xbox 360 and PC, not sure why. Same with Assassin's Creed and Dead Space.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I have 2 copies of Persona 4 Arena...

EricSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By EricSmith

I have a ton of games for 360 that I ended up buying on Steam. The combo of having the game on an available system and wanting the best version of the game made the purchases easy.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah sometimes like I had Fallout 3 for PS3 once but I traded it in and a year later got the GotY edition for 360, mostly I'll own a console and a PC version of a game I would've grabbed of a Steam sale.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By captain_clayman

A lot of games I'll buy on PC after owning it on a console. Sometimes I'll get a game on one console, realize it's the inferior version and get the other version. Sometimes I trade the worse version in, sometimes I just keep it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#73  Edited By crusader8463

By accident. I had lost a copy of Final Fantasy 13-2 and saw that it was on sale for like $10 at some point so I went ahead and re-bought it. Literally as I go to put it on the shelf when I got home I somehow now notice that some of the games are not flush with the others and when I pull them out to investigate I find that lost copy. Somehow it had fallen in behind and I never noticed.

When I ordered my copy of Catherine I somehow was sent two instead. Other then that, It was just some odd games that I had re-bought on Steam because I had lost the cd keys along time ago or had it on consoles and wanted it on PC so I could play it. That's all I can think of. I have never bought the same game on other platforms for the purpose of having it in several systems. That's just dumb.

Kain55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've bought plenty of games on PC after owning them on consoles. It often has to do with Steam sales plus ultimate editions like with Skyrim, but sometimes I just feel like playing a game on a more powerful machine.

roninenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have SSF4AE on PS3 and PC. Same goes for Dark souls. My reasons for why this happened? I moved recently and was too lazy to dig through boxes for my PS3 after moving boxes, so I just ended up buying them both on steam.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Sinusoidal

Yup. Turns out that the Korean copy of Assassin's Creed 2 and Saints Row the Third were actually localized, which is very rare. Most of the time they just slap a Korean manual in the box and if you're very lucky add some subtitles. I ended up buying both of them again in English, though I did play through Saints Row the Third with Korean text first. It was awesome. Utter madness. Possibly even funnier when I only had half an idea what was going on.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. Fallout 3 and then Fallout 3 GOTY edition for all the DLC.

I've found myself also wanting to re-buy a lot of games I already have on PSN/XBLA in Steam sales to ensure some type of longevity and backwards compatibility with them. I hate the idea of all those games being practically dead once the new consoles roll around and locked to a platform. Will I be able to re download these games in 5-10 years on PS3 or 360? Who knows, I trust Valve with that more at this point.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#79  Edited By willin

I own 16 copies of Fusion Frenzy. Don't ask.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#80  Edited By JosephKnows

First and probably the only time I will ever do it is with The Last of Us, but that was because of a really dumb mistake I made. Bought the Season Pass the day before the first DLC was going to drop, but I got it from the US PSN store when I had a REGION 3 copy since I live in the Philippines. Found out the hard way that DLC is region-locked. Had to buy a used R1 copy from Amazon and sell my Steelbox edition, costing me just as much as I would've saved if I got the Season Pass from the Asia PSN store.

And I placed the order the day before the Sale of the Dead happened! So yeah, FML and region-locking DLC.

tonyp2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got like 5 copies of GTA IV

1 when it originally came out for 360

2 when the first disc broke

3 when the complete collection came out

4 when I decided to buy it on xbox games on demand

5 when there was a great GTA steam sale

FaPaThY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By FaPaThY

I bought both the Morrowind and Oblivion Collector's Editions at release back in the day and then got the GotY Editions in that $29 Bethesda bundle GamersGate fucked up the price on, if that counts.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@notdavid said:

I have three copies of Metal Gear Solid 3. One that came with the MGS Essential Collection, a second copy of Subsistence that includes the bonus disc that the Essential Collection omitted, and the HD rerelease for PS3. I'm not even the biggest fan. I only played it once.

Me too now I think about it. I have the original PS2 version of MGS2 and 3 as well as the Vita version (HD collection), the PS3 version (legacy collection) and a limited PS2 Japanese version of both.

The last part I can't agree with though ... MGS3 is the best in the series IMHO.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#84  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Depends a bit on how much the stuff you get in the GOTY edition would've cost separately. I bought Battlefield Premium edition instead of subscribing to Premium for my existing copy of BF3 because it was cheaper to do so. I've also occassionally bought collector's editions of games if they've been really cheap, such as the Bioshock 2 CE box for $15, despite already having the regular edition.

When it comes to stuff like Doom I buy just about every edition that is out there of them. I already owned Doom 1-3, but bought Doom 3 BFG Edition which includes the console versions of all three, and then bought the PS3 Doom Classics Complete because BFG edition didn't include Final Doom and Master Levels (but included yet another copy of Doom 1 and 2).

I tend to buy many games for multiple platforms, such as the Atelier and Persona games, where I have both the PS2, PS3 and Vita/PSP versions when available, and I usually buy games I own physically again on GOG or Steam in order to cut down disc swapping.

PD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#85  Edited By PD

Does Pokemon count? I always buy one of the two initial releases of the generation and then when the third "enhanced" version is released a year or two later, I grab that too.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Multiple times. Making the transition from Xbox to PS3 to PC.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@periahdark: Yeah I would count Pokemon. Although a person needs both versions or have access both to catch all the Pokemon. I did get one version of a game when it came out then got the "enhanced" one sometime later. I only did with that with Gen 2. Gen 1 had yellow. Gen 3 & 4 I have the initial version but I wanted to get the "enhanced" version as well.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought the regular editions and the GOTY editions of Morrowind (PC,XBOX), Oblivion (PC,PS3), Fallout 3 (both PC) and New Vegas (PC,360). Got PS3 and PC version of Brutal Legend. Got PC and Vita versions of Strangers Wrath. Bought Team Fortress 2, then bought Orange Box then the damn thing became free to play. Got PS3 and Vita version of BlazBlue CC. Got Portal 2 for PS3 and PC although those came bundled together. Got Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, MGS2 and MGS3 on PS3 and PS2. I have Carmageddon for PC, PS1 and Android. Quake 2 for PC and PS1. Street Fighter Alpha 3 for PS1 and PSP. Psi Ops and Suffering - Ties That Bind on PS2 and XBOX. Code Veronica for PS2 and Dreamcast. That's all I can remember for now.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've bought about 6 or 7 copies of Starcraft and Brood War over the years, used to have to move the CDs around a lot and they'd deteriorate.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Street Fighter 2, if they made it on a toaster I'll probably buy it and compare it with the 3DO version.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've re-bought quite a few for PC ever since I got something that could run them. Mostly due to Steam and sales.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Right, here goes: I bought Borderlands (the first one) on PS3 the day it came out, and later the four DLCs as they came out. Skip forward to Jan 2011 and I, in an attempt to convince two of my friends to play it, agreed that if they bought the game I would buy a 360 and a copy of the GOTY edition. So that's an entire console, for a game I already had. Plus Xbox Live, of course.

I also later re-bought the GOTY edition on Steam, but that was £5 in a summer sale, as opposed to £250+ for that whole bundle of things. I did end up playing Gears of War 1-3 on it though, so I guess I got at least some console-exclusive value out of it later on.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Levius

My 360's disk drive is almost worn out so it has trouble reading disks. So when I encountered a bug in Binary Domain in couldn't get past, I bought another copy hoping it would work, which it did. However after getting past the bug the new copy froze up like the other game. I tried the old disk, which worked. Eventually to make it through the game I ended up having to switch disks every hour or so to get through the game. But it was Binary Domain so it was totally worth it.

MadsWare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By MadsWare

I have 2 copies of Fragile Dreams for Wii and 2 copies of Super Smash Bros Brawl also for Wii.

Plus i think i have about 3 or 4 copies of Rayman 1 for PS1 for some reason.

I also have Wind Waker for GameCube and Wind Waker HD for Wii U, plus i have Persona 4 for PS2 and Persona 4 Golden for PS Vita.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By splodge

Battlefield 3 on PC. Later wanted to get premium and the DLC, and it was cheaper to buy the all inclusive edition that included premium.

Jojojimmeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Jojojimmeny

I've bought a few GOTY editions of games I already owned (during steam sales), because that ended up being cheaper than purchasing all of the DLC through GFWL.. Also purchased a few PC versions of games I already owned on 360, but again only during steam sales. Some of the ones I can remember off the top of my head are:

• Fallout 3 (both PC)
  • Fallout: New Vegas (both PC)
  • Batman: Arkham City (both PC)
  • Saints Row: The Third (360 and PC)
  • Just Cause 2 (360 and PC), and
  • Borderlands (360 and PC)
Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not like that. I have in the past bought a 2 copies of the same game on release day. One for me, one for the wife

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yes, several times.

• Fallout New Vegas (digital PC, PS3)
  • X-COM (digital PC, PS3)
  • Mass Effect 2 (PS3 and collection)
  • Mass Effect 3 (PS3 and collection)
  • God of War 1 and 2 (PS2 and collection)
  • Bastion (Steam, Humble Bundle and google)
Killercombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I rent games so I normally rent it when it comes out on 360 then buy it on Steam during a sale.
I have bought Street Fighter 4 (and its upgrades) a few times on PC and Xbox
I bought P4G (a US copy) while waiting for the UK one to finally come out (I bought that on PSN and played both about 8 times)
And thanks to a mistake by GAME I ended up with 2 copies of GTA 5 (having only paid for one!)

TheFakePsychic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 18

I have two copies of Beyond Good and Evil and Alpha Protocol because they did not work on my PC when I bought them, so I just ended up buying them on PS3 to... actually play them.

And then, like most people it seems, I have both P4/P4G, as well as P3P, P3FES on disc, and P3FES on PSN, which... I don't know why I did that, I hate Persona 3.