Has the Wii Bubble Finally Popped?

Lokno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Lokno

Kotaku just posted an article about why the Wii is seeing a drop in sales this year:  http://kotaku.com/5716096/why-the-wii-cooled-off 

I went to the trusted google trends to see if I could see the same... well, trend. It's as stark as Iron Man:  

Well hello there, four year cycle. I was a little uncertain about the murmurs that Nintendo is likely to announce a new console soon, but after seeing this its pretty clear they need to do something. 

Here's all three consoles, for the whole picture (all regions):  

orange: "ps3"
red: "xbox"
blue "wii"

Just this year (all regions):  

And just this year in Japan, because its amusing how "ps3" and "xbox" switch places: 

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By melcene

So.... yeah.... going back to the original post... I'm not surprised to see such a trend with the Wii.  They made sure that the demand for it the first few years was so high (not to mention that the price was fairly inexpensive)... that they were running out of homes without Wiis in them last year, let alone this year.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

I love you Biff, can't get enough Naked Cartoon Pussy here. 

On topic, the Wii had no heavy hitters this year compared to Xbox and PS3 games.  Even the PC had bigger games this year than the Wii.   

People still remember SMG2?  Nope. 
Metroid did well?  Nope. 
Kirby?  lol....

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

The thing is, the Wii sold such ludicrous numbers the first few years that an eventual dip was inevitable.  That kind of demand can't sustain itself forever.  The console isn't going to sell at the rate it did in 2007 at this point, but it's also far from the failure that a particularly deluded strain of fanboy (i.e.:  The "Wii has no gamez!!!1" crowd) want to paint it as.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By stinky

wouldn't say kotaku posted an article on why, but they did post a single anecdote. 

your graphs were better than that "article."

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King
@melcene said:
" So.... yeah.... going back to the original post... I'm not surprised to see such a trend with the Wii.  They made sure that the demand for it the first few years was so high (not to mention that the price was fairly inexpensive)... that they were running out of homes without Wiis in them last year, let alone this year. "
Also, price is an issue. Both the 360 and the PS3 have dropped within range of the Wii, and they kinda offer more than the Wii, don't they?
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By cstrang

I mean....  I think Wii sales may have reached the closest thing to saturation of market as we could imagine.  Couple that with the mostly lackluster Wii titles of the year, and the fact that both Microsoft and Sony have released their motion gaming devices, each with an advertising budget much, much greater than anything I ever see for the Wii, and you've got the Wii drifting into irrelevance.

...Though, I think maybe we should check the trending on Christmas Day.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The issue with the wii is that the majority of people who want a wii already own one. It's at that stage in it's lifetime and is to be expected. 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jimbo

You could say the 360 in Japan is almost...

...Uncharted?!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hailinel
@Jimbo said:
" You could say the 360 in Japan is almost...

...Uncharted?! "
YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!
MegaGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By MegaGoat

Kotaku posts alot of pointless shit
The Wii bundles are moving this Christmas
I'm sure Nintendo isn't shitting themselves about sales being down almost a quarter

Also, TC's graphs prove nothing
/thread

Lokno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lokno

To those implying it, I didn't mean this post to be negative. If you'll look at the composite charts above, the current Wii mind-share is basically in-line with the other consoles.  But the step down from previous years is so striking!

Now, on with the silly charts!

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Not a bad time for the bubble to pop, ie. after having this won the console war. It's to be expected, no console sustains the same numbers year after year.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jace

Saturation of the market has already been mentioned. Of course their sales went down, everyone already fucking bought one.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jasta
@Video_Game_King said:
" @melcene said:
" So.... yeah.... going back to the original post... I'm not surprised to see such a trend with the Wii.  They made sure that the demand for it the first few years was so high (not to mention that the price was fairly inexpensive)... that they were running out of homes without Wiis in them last year, let alone this year. "
Also, price is an issue. Both the 360 and the PS3 have dropped within range of the Wii, and they kinda offer more than the Wii, don't they? "
The 360 I would agree with, but wherever I look the PS3 is still around £100 more expensive. Or would you say that was in range?
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KaosAngel
@Jasta said:
" The 360 I would agree with, but wherever I look the PS3 is still around £100 more expensive. Or would you say that was in range? "
PS3 has Blu-Ray, and is the only console to support HDMI audio.  :|
jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jasta
@KaosAngel said:
" @Jasta said:
" The 360 I would agree with, but wherever I look the PS3 is still around £100 more expensive. Or would you say that was in range? "
PS3 has Blu-Ray, and is the only console to support HDMI audio.  :| "
Sorry, I was talking about the price ranges, not what they have to offer. Thats a no brainer.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hailinel
@KaosAngel said:
" @Jasta said:
PS3 has Blu-Ray, and is the only console to support HDMI audio.  :| "
That doesn't really matter, though.  If I want a Blu-Ray player by itself, I can buy one for about $100 these days.  Even with my PS3, the only Blu-Ray movies I have are the Street Fighter IV movie that came with the special edition, a BlazBlue gameplay disc, and Advent Children Complete.  I'm still buying DVDs for the most part because their cost is significantly cheaper than Blu-Ray.
Lokno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lokno
@KaosAngel: If the Xbox 360 doesn't support HDMI audio, then I haven't been hearing my xbox 360 games.    
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KaosAngel
@Lokno: 360 can't do 5.1 or 7.1 from HDMI, this has been stated for years.  It can do 2 channel, and clearly everyone uses HDMI for 2 channel audio.
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

No, not at all. 
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

As others have said Nintendo are experiencing market saturation with the Wii, and there weren't many highly successful releases for the console this year either. Still, Nintendo have the 3DS coming up so they'll be raking in the money again before long.

paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By paradox121
@KaosAngel said:
" I love you Biff, can't get enough Naked Cartoon Pussy here.  On topic, the Wii had no heavy hitters this year compared to Xbox and PS3 games.  Even the PC had bigger games this year than the Wii.    People still remember SMG2?  Nope. Metroid did well?  Nope. Kirby?  lol.... "
I don't really understand how you can claim people have forgotten about SMG2. It sold a ton, its making GOTY lists and it's nearly always at the top of aggregate site rankings. Equally Kirby reviewed pretty damn well and sold decently.  

Sure, there weren't as many heavy hitters on the Wii but that's the way of the Nintendo console.
Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By the_hiro_abides
@Hailinel said:
" @Jimbo said:
" You could say the 360 in Japan is almost...

...Uncharted?! "
YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!! "
Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By the_hiro_abides

With the 3DS coming out next year, a new nintendo console doesn't seem likely until at least holiday 2012. More likely later though. 

As for the bubble, Nintendo just has to release some family friendly waggle thing once a year and they can coast a bit longer.

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By wrathofconn
@Lokno:  Love how your second graph is skewed because you omitted the "360". I'm sure that wasn't intentional though.

I didn't buy a Wii until this last summer, but I was probably one of the last people who even kind of wanted one and didn't have one, so this all makes sense. Don't think Nintendo is going to panic though. They're going to be fine.