Have petitions ever changed anything (in gaming)? (RE: World of Warcraft legacy servers, 209,000 signatures)

• 84 results
deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By deepcovergecko
No Caption Provided

I saw some Blizzard tweets from 2015. I wonder if they think there's enough interest this time! It has never, ever had this much buzz in the past, not even close.

@fisk0 said:

Fans petitioned to get Warzone 2100 released as open source back in 2004, and Eidos allowed that to happen, first in a limited capacity where the source code and art assets were open sourced, but not the music and cutscenes. Later the terms were updated to include the entire thing, including previously PlayStation exclusive parts. That was more than 5 years after the game's original release, and it never was a massive hit to begin with, so it's not comparable to any Blizzard stuff though.

I believe the MMO's Meridian 59 and Neocron 2 were open sourced and starting allowing private servers after petitions too, but neither of them were ever particularly popular, I believe that in both cases the original developers or publishers were on the verge of bankruptcy, making it a general game preservation thing rather than preserving a specific era of a long going MMO. So, yeah, petitions can change things, but that's more likely to happen with smaller titles, rather than something like WOW which is still raking in tons of money.

Meridian 59 and Neocron 2? Never heard of them, I'm going to look those up. Thanks for the contribution!

Hopefully Blizzard will see they could probably make more by doing this, money talks!

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By deepcovergecko
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By mike

@deepcovergecko: Having a discussion doesn't mean they are working on something together. You might be getting a little ahead of yourself here.

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:

@deepcovergecko: Having a discussion doesn't mean they are working on something together. You might be getting a little ahead of yourself here.

I could be, a lot of us are feeling it is linked to this but that could also be a farewell video or something.

I am somewhat confident this is going to be a net win, just the fact that Blizzard are taking it seriously now is exciting in itself.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#55 chaser324  Moderator

@deepcovergecko: I agree with @mike. You should temper your expectations here. It's great that Blizzard is engaging and having a discussion, but the end result of that discussion may very well just be a thorough explanation of why what you want can't happen or some sort of compromise that isn't quite what you wanted.

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By deepcovergecko
@chaser324 said:

@deepcovergecko: I agree with @mike. You should temper your expectations here. It's great that Blizzard is engaging and having a discussion, but the end result of that discussion may very well just be a thorough explanation of why what you want can't happen or some sort of compromise that isn't quite what you wanted.

They have explained that it's difficult to just run classic servers a little in the blue post on their forums, my armchair speculation leads me to believe they are discussing getting classic WoW running with the aid of Nostalrius who already have a highly developed (5 years in the making) version.

What's interesting is apparently the Mac version runs on PPC hardware so they'd need a new version to run on modern Mac hardware which is x64/x86. I love all the tidbits about WoW's development and server technical details that have come out of this. I completely forgot how different Mac hardware as at the time and just assumed you could still use the old clients.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By mike

@deepcovergecko:

What Blizzard actually said in that post was, "We explored options for developing classic servers and none could be executed without great difficulty."

That doesn't mean that they are technically incapable of doing it. It probably just means that it would cost Blizzard a lot of money to do properly and have it be up to their standards, which of course it would. This sounds like a more PR friendly way of saying, "We didn't think we could make enough profit on something like this to make it worth it, so we didn't do it." No company wants to come right out and say they're not doing something because the expected return isn't high enough, at least not in this industry. Blizzard also has the overall consumer image of WoW to consider, and a vanilla server may not fit in with their vision for the product and it's future. People who run their own pirate servers couldn't care less about this aspect of managing a product like WoW.

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:

@deepcovergecko:

What Blizzard actually said in that post was, "We explored options for developing classic servers and none could be executed without great difficulty."

That doesn't mean that they are technically incapable of doing it. It probably just means that it would cost Blizzard a lot of money to do properly and have it be up to their standards, which of course it would. This sounds like a more PR friendly way of saying, "We didn't think we could make enough profit on something like this to make it worth it, so we didn't do it." No company wants to come right out and say they're not doing something because the expected return isn't high enough, at least not in this industry. Blizzard also has the overall consumer image of WoW to consider, and a vanilla server may not fit in with their vision for the product and it's future. People who run their own pirate servers couldn't care less about this aspect of managing a product like WoW.

That's probably why they are in contact with Nostalrius, I can't see any other reason they would be talking because Blizzard sure as hell don't need them to work on the idea of pristine servers.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kotaku just ran a story about this that pretty much makes it look like they just met to discuss why it had to go down, and that Blizzard stoll doesnt want to go through with the hassle to make classic servers

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:

@deepcovergecko: What's probably why? That doesn't make any sense.

There was initially calls for Blizzard to hire Nostalrius' devteam and have them work with the old versions/code Blizzard have.

Blizzard said before that they don't have the old WoW in a very good state and that it's a big hurdle for this to happen.

Just not sure why else they'd be communicating with Nostalrius.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Actually it didn't. Blizzard said in their current environment it would be "extremely" difficulty to get it working in their current environment but that they'd continue to have discussions about it.

I stand with Blizzard on this as they have every right to protect their IP and by not doing so have ever chance to lose it. It's a shitty thing for the users who liked the private server but a company has to do what a company has to do.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deepcovergecko: I'm not saying it's this, but a very obvious reason would be to explain to them not to do anything like this again.

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By deepcovergecko

@zirilius said:

Actually it didn't. Blizzard said in their current environment it would be "extremely" difficulty to get it working in their current environment but that they'd continue to have discussions about it.

I stand with Blizzard on this as they have every right to protect their IP and by not doing so have ever chance to lose it. It's a shitty thing for the users who liked the private server but a company has to do what a company has to do.

Well it kind of did:

So what can we do to capture that nostalgia of when WoW first launched? Over the years we have talked about a “pristine realm”. In essence that would turn off all leveling acceleration including character transfers, heirloom gear, character boosts, Recruit-A-Friend bonuses, WoW Token, and access to cross realm zones, as well as group finder. We aren’t sure whether this version of a clean slate is something that would appeal to the community and it’s still an open topic of discussion.

They're thinking of solutions to apply to the current version.

One other note - we’ve recently been in contact with some of the folks who operated Nostalrius. They obviously care deeply about the game, and we look forward to more conversations with them in the coming weeks.

Here we have some hope this is going to result in a path to legacy servers.

This is much more recognition and hope than we have ever received from Blizzard in the past.

Why are you bringing up the legality? I didn't say they can't shut them down and most people aren't saying it isn't Blizzard's legal right to do it.

I feel bad for the people who had legendary items on the server that got shuttered! The risk you take...

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By deepcovergecko

@jesus_phish said:

@deepcovergecko: I'm not saying it's this, but a very obvious reason would be to explain to them not to do anything like this again.

I doubt it, they would be better suited contacting some of the other big private servers still in operation. There's a brand new server coming online tomorrow which is where most of Nostalrius' players seem to be heading to.

I won't link it or say the name because it might be against the rules.

Nostalrius probably would not have said anything on Twitter if that was the tone of the conversation right?

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deepcovergecko: BC raiding is much too harsh for a large audience, you could reintroduce Karazhan or something but raids like Sunwell are for a tiny percentage of the population. While BC is likely their best piece of content it doesn't have the same mystical appeal that Vanilla does and it did introduce the shitty 5 man format we have now (even if the 5 man heroics themselves were good due to being challenging; the last of their kind). Wrath is too similar to the modern WoW format, it basically is the modern WoW format aside from Ulduar.

Are you kidding me? Compare BC raiding to freaking 40-man Naxx, and it - while not a cake walk - is much easier.

Also, I'm pretty sure Blizzard downsized dungeons to 5-man groups close to the end of Vanilla WoW, not TBC.

I agree with you regarding Wrath though. The biggest complaint about that expansion was how EASY it was at the beginning. All of the raids were cleared within days of release, and it wasn't until a few months later that Ulduar was released that there was finally a difficult dungeon added. I remember my friends and I would all farm heroics and we just got so bored with them, since it was so easy to get decked out in purple gear. It wasn't until much later that they introduced the three Icecrown 5-man dungeons that we finally got difficult 5-man content again. A lot of people like to shit on Cataclysm, but at least they made the Heroics harder than they were in Wrath.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nostalrius probably would not have said anything on Twitter if that was the tone of the conversation right?

Why would you assume that?

@zirilius said:

Well it kind of did:

So what can we do to capture that nostalgia of when WoW first launched? Over the years we have talked about a “pristine realm”. In essence that would turn off all leveling acceleration including character transfers, heirloom gear, character boosts, Recruit-A-Friend bonuses, WoW Token, and access to cross realm zones, as well as group finder. We aren’t sure whether this version of a clean slate is something that would appeal to the community and it’s still an open topic of discussion.

Wait...what? How exactly does this quote mean that they are thinking of solutions to apply to the current version? You are reading things between the lines that just aren't there.

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By deepcovergecko

@mike said:
@deepcovergecko said:

Why would you assume that?

Nostalrius aren't going to say "We're looking forward to talking more!" if they're simply being scolded by Blizzard.

@mike said:
@deepcovergecko said:
@zirilius said:

Well it kind of did:

Wait...what? How exactly does this quote mean that they are thinking of solutions to apply to the current version? You are reading things between the lines that just aren't there.

I'm not sure what you mean. Blizzard said this themselves:

So... they are thinking of changes they could make to the current version of WoW (in these 'pristine' servers), which is going to be easier than getting classic servers up (allegedly).

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Video from ex-World of Warcraft team lead.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@deepcovergecko: The original point was just that you should temper your expectations. It's nice that Blizzard is being open and discussing these things but nothing they've said or that the Nostalrius people have said seems to imply that anything will be done - only that they're talking about them.

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By deepcovergecko

@chaser324 said:

@deepcovergecko: The original point was just that you should temper your expectations. It's nice that Blizzard is being open and discussing these things but nothing they've said seems to imply that they will actually do anything - only that they're talking about them.

It seems quite certain to me that they're going to do something. The question is, are they going to deliver classic servers or try this 'pristine server' route which has received a lot of negativity so far, the idea of having a more...'hardcore' server has merit but their initial thoughts wouldn't change the game enough and definitely won't appease the die hard fans of previous versions.

I'll be expecting something at Blizzcon and I'm sure they'll be some updates coming in the next few weeks. I have a hard time thinking they will make any changes or add any of these servers before August (Legion's release).

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 chaser324  Moderator

It seems quite certain to me that they're going to do something. The question is, are they going to deliver classic servers or try this 'pristine server' route which has received a lot of negativity so far.

That negativity is the reason why I'm saying to keep your expectations in check. They might do something but it may not actually be what you want.

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deepcovergecko said:

It seems quite certain to me that they're going to do something. The question is, are they going to deliver classic servers or try this 'pristine server' route which has received a lot of negativity so far.

That negativity is the reason why I'm saying to keep your expectations in check. They might do something but it may not actually be what you want.

I'm already a little prepared for that after today, if it wasn't for them being in talks with Nostalrius I'd basically be writing off the idea of the classic servers to be honest.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@random45: Naxx has a few difficult bosses (Gothik, 4H, Sapphiron, KT) but it has a good blend and mix of difficulties with a lot of options, Sunwell is rigidly linear with higher demands on each individual player, due to the nature of 40 man raiding it's functionally impossible for raiding to be more difficult because you have to carry 15 more people, it's very hard to find 25 good players let alone 40, Death and Taxes never had 40 good players. Sunwell killed about 5000 guilds and about 85% of hardcore guilds (including DnT and Overrated incidentally), what was left was a bunch of mergers (Exodus, Premonition, etc.), nothing is even close to that number and the reason why the modern raiding system exists is because Blizzard realized killing off most of the top guilds and barring any progress from almost every other guild wasn't a very smart thing to do, undoubtedly correct but it certainly killed the mystique of raiding post Ulduar.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deepcovergecko said:

Or they can have the discussions and do exactly nothing which I was what I expect to happen. Blizzard isn't obligated to talk to these folks and I think it's great that they are listening to a fairly large community of players who want a return to old school WoW. Some of my favorite times from that game are from the BC and WotLK era but if I had to level in from 1-80 again in that world I might do something regrettable.

I just don't see WoW's current state dire enough for them to need to do this. Would it be nice for them to figure something out? Sure but realistically I don't see much coming from this.

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By deepcovergecko

@zirilius said:
@chaser324 said:
@deepcovergecko said:

I just don't see WoW's current state dire enough for them to need to do this. Would it be nice for them to figure something out? Sure but realistically I don't see much coming from this.

Subscriptions are at an all time low so it's a pretty good time for them to try this if they can get the old version running on their own servers.

Even if Blizzard earned a lowly 150k re-subscriptions for these servers (which is a low estimate) they'd be getting another 2.2 million USD a month.

The Nostalrius server had server fees of less than 1000 USD a month with a higher player cap than Blizzard's servers, so the return in investment is huge so long as they don't have to spend a fortune getting the old code working.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By mike

@deepcovergecko: The operating costs of a pirate server are not directly comparable to official Blizzard servers. Besides development costs and ongoing engineering services, Blizzard would have to integrate the new Vanilla world into their existing server farms, pay for GMs, technical and customer support, PR, marketing, staff to support all those departments, and more. The costs would be far more substantial than you think they would be.

Anyway it doesn't really matter since no one knows how many subscribers such a server would get, and only Blizzard knows how much it would cost to develop and operate. You definitely cannot say that it be profitable, though. You don't have enough information.

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:

@deepcovergecko: The operating costs of a pirate server are not directly comparable to official Blizzard servers. Besides development costs and ongoing engineering services, Blizzard would have to integrate the new Vanilla world into their existing server farms, pay for GMs, technical and customer support, PR, marketing, staff to support all those departments, and more. The costs would be far more substantial than you think they would be.

Anyway it doesn't really matter since no one knows how many subscribers such a server would get, and only Blizzard knows how much it would cost to develop and operate. You definitely cannot say that it be profitable, though. You don't have enough information.

Yeah I know but a common argument by people who are anti-legacy servers is expensive servers, but actually the server fee wouldn't be where the money has to go to resurrect the old versions.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deepcovergecko: They have to integrate it with their current infrastructure, dig up old code, make it work on modern system while not being nightmarishly buggy. (That latter one was what the private server failed at.)

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@error52 said:

@deepcovergecko: They have to integrate it with their current infrastructure, dig up old code, make it work on modern system while not being nightmarishly buggy. (That latter one was what the private server failed at.)

Nostalrius wasn't nightmarishly buggy, that and the professionalism of the owners is why it was so popular.

Loading Video...

I've heard it had its fair share of issues around launch though.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius said:
@chaser324 said:
@deepcovergecko said:

Subscriptions are at an all time low so it's a pretty good time for them to try this if they can get the old version running on their own servers.

Even if Blizzard earned a lowly 150k re-subscriptions for these servers (which is a low estimate) they'd be getting another 2.2 million USD a month.

The Nostalrius server had server fees of less than 1000 USD a month with a higher player cap than Blizzard's servers, so the return in investment is huge so long as they don't have to spend a fortune getting the old code working.

They are far from an all-time low but they are declining. Also with Blizzard not reporting numbers on subs anymore we actually don't have any way of truly knowing what the numbers are at. However Legion is coming up in a few months which will see an increase for subs until people plow through it and get bored.

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By deepcovergecko
@zirilius said:
@deepcovergecko said:
@zirilius said:
@chaser324 said:
@deepcovergecko said:

They are far from an all-time low but they are declining. Also with Blizzard not reporting numbers on subs anymore we actually don't have any way of truly knowing what the numbers are at. However Legion is coming up in a few months which will see an increase for subs until people plow through it and get bored.

It hasn't been this low since the first two years of the game and has dropped significantly since WOTLK, the last acclaimed expansion.

No Caption Provided

It'll be worse now because of the backlash against Blizzard for Warlord of Draenor's crazy lack of content.

See here for more on the latter:

No Caption Provided
deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By deepcovergecko
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Loading Video...

The video Mike Morhaime responded to.

This is the best news.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't trust Kern to meet up with anybody, much less the developers of WoW.

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By deepcovergecko

@error52 said:

I wouldn't trust Kern to meet up with anybody, much less the developers of WoW.

Well, he has worked on bigger games than most people in this industry, so he was able to do something right (and I know about Firefall).

Immunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#89  Edited By Immunity

@error52: Yeah, fuck that guy I guess? His involvement makes me way less interested. I dunno if that's stupid or not, but that's the way I'm feeling.