Hey, it's a Palmer Luckey thread

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KogX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So to my knowledge this should be harmless more or less. Unless there is an underlining meaning I am missing it seems like he is paying someone to make stuff. The article does not give an example of what memes they are doing so I do not even know how harmful it is, if it is at all.

I do not see the importance of this over just internet news. The Gizmodo talks about his girlfriend but other then supporting a candidate and political views I do not see what is wrong with what she is doing either.

Also can anyone explain to me what an Alt-Right is. Apparently no official ideology but yet a thing that makes internet memes. A quick google makes it seem like a thing 4chan did that people are taking seriously.

tanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Gildermershina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's not that he supports Donald Trump, which is obviously reprehensible to a lot of people but frankly none of anyone else's business, it's that he's actively funded what is essentially a misinformation campaign that might as well be what the Patriots were talking about at the end of MGS2.

Say what you will about "mainstream media", these alt news sources on either side of the political spectrum are operating in completely contradictory realities, and spreading a level a damaging level of distrust and confusion.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kogx said:

Also can anyone explain to me what an Alt-Right is.

It's just a stupid new moniker for people that disagree with the left, comprised of 4chan, GamerGate, certain subreddits. They're all being thrown under that.

Apparently it's a white supremacist thing too which seems to be the word people enjoy throwing around this year.

magicflounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imsh_pl: For me, it does come down to the reputation of the organization he has affiliated himself with, and the tone he takes in the Daily Beast article/the Reddit posts he made.

“I’ve got plenty of money,” Luckey added. “Money is not my issue. I thought it sounded like a real jolly good time.”

That is the one quote particularly stuck out to me, he's rather flippant about bankrolling a group tied to some rather hateful rhetoric. It's the tone with which he is approaching the whole situation, like it's a fun game for him. It really doesn't reflect well on his character.

So in general, he really makes himself out to be a douchebag in the original article, and supporting Trump doesn't win him any favors for me.

Lively

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Lively

@kogx said:

Also can anyone explain to me what an Alt-Right is. Apparently no official ideology but yet a thing that makes internet memes. A quick google makes it seem like a thing 4chan did that people are taking seriously.

Well, the basics are here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt-right

Basically it's a newer, younger group of conservatives that are united by a shared anti-immigrant nationalism, and also a strong hatred of anything they perceive as "political correctness". As a group their priorities are distinct from the religious right or the pro-business wing of the republican party, and they have a strong distrust of the "political establishment", globalism, free trade, and such. That last part actually has some overlap with the Bernie supporters (although Bernie supporters don't have nearly the same nationalistic / anti-PC streak).

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By Milkman

@rainvillain said:

I feel like none of the bombduders have said anything on twitter or anything about any of this... which is weird, since the rest of the internet has been quite vocal... Pope's tweet in particular comes to mind.

I hadn't seen that Pope tweet, that's pretty interesting. I wonder if Palmer had been vocal about this stuff at E3 or something prior to this and just no one talked about it.

Anyway, I don't think GB is purposely being silent about this or anything. I'm sure they'll discuss it on the Bomb/Beastcast and as people have pointed out, Jeff has already apparently said a bunch about it on Mixlr. Either way, I think it's probably pretty obvious where all of them stand on this.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Hey Palmer, check out these memes."

"LOL!"

That's my summing up of this.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasoncooke: I don't think people are putting 4chan as a whole into it. It's mostly just /pol/ and they are honestly right about it being a total racist shithole. Really /pol/, /r9k/, and /v/ are the only boards that cause trouble. /v/ not even so much anymore since most of the huge assholes moved to 8chan.

KogX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's just a stupid new moniker for people that disagree with the left, comprised of 4chan, GamerGate, certain subreddits. They're all being thrown under that.

So unless I am misunderstanding things it would be the left equivalent of calling everyone a SJW then?

Anyway this seems like the Chick-fil A situation a few years back to me. The people in the middle of this, Oculus employees, will be getting the worst of both sides. But in a month or so no one will care.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Palmer UNluckey, more like.

More like Suckulus Grift.

Ummm... more... like Nimble AmeriKKKa?

Today's hot takes were brought to you by Totino's, Taco Bell, and Rold Gold Pretzels.

Lively

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kogx said:
@jasoncooke said:

So unless I am misunderstanding things it would be the left equivalent of calling everyone a SJW then?

I don't think that's quite right, the name "alt-right" isn't inherently pejorative like "SJW" is. I'm definitely what some people would call an "sjw", but I would never call myself that in front of normal human beings.

I've seen enough alt-right style politics spilling over well beyond the boarders of Reddit and 4-chan to know it's not some tiny thing - how about every message board on the whole internet, facebook, and at least a few people I know personally? There is a large group of younger conservatives that match the label, and for now the word we're using is "alt-right".

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

ITT: People mad that someone doesn't support the person they support. Yet, if the situation were flipped they would probably be completely fine with it.

Not all opinions are created equally.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kogx said:

Apparently it's a white supremacist thing too which seems to be the word people enjoy throwing around this year.

are you going to keep giving this completely wrong explanation in every thread about this?

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#65  Edited By conmulligan

@lively said:

@kogx said:
@jasoncooke said:

I don't think that's quite right, the name "alt-right" isn't inherently pejorative like "SJW" is. I'm definitely what some people would call an "sjw", but I would never call myself that in front of normal human beings.

I've seen enough alt-right style politics spilling over well beyond the boarders of Reddit and 4-chan to know it's not some tiny thing - how about every message board on the whole internet, facebook, and at least a few people I know personally? There is a large group of younger conservatives that match the label, and for now the word we're using is "alt-right".

Yeah, "SJW" and "alt-right" aren't remotely comparable. "SJW" is inherently mocking, whereas "alt-right" is just trying to describe a particular ideology, like the terms libertarian left, religious right and neo-conservatism do.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Lv4Monk

@orangefreak92: If that were true then the world would be in a very different place.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope Chapo Trap House get into this at some point. Silicon Valley millionaire is secret(?) fuck boy is prime material for them.

@shagge said:

Today's hot takes were brought to you by Totino's, Taco Bell, and Rold Gold Pretzels.

More like Palmer... Fuckey.

Yeah. Heh.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

@conmulligan said:

@lively said:

@kogx said:
@jasoncooke said:

Yeah, "SJW" and "alt-right" aren't remotely comparable. SJW is inherently mocking, whereas alt-right is just trying to describe a particular ideology, like libertarian left or religious right.

"Alt-right" is also a self-ascribed term, in an effort to make their largely despicable viewpoints seem palatable to people who aren't overly familiar with the movement (for lack of a better word). There are people who self-identify as SJWs in an effort to take power away from that term, but it was a label that was made up by a lot of the people who probably identify as alt-right as a pejorative for those they don't like.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesushammer: This is not a rare occurrence though. Voting with your dollar is your power as a consumer. Just cause a thing has been made does not mean the public owes it to the company to support it. VR will move on with, or without them.

Lively

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ballsleon: I'm not too worried about Oculus, it sounds like Palmer isn't actually involved with the day-to-day operations any more. After this shitstorm, they'll either sever ties, or just sweep him under the rug and never let him be their spokesperson anymore.

The main reason I'm still leaning towards the Vive over Oculus is their anti-competitive tendencies.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really hope Chapo Trap House get into this at some point. Silicon Valley millionaire is secret(?) fuck boy is prime material for them.

@shagge said:

More like Palmer... Fuckey.

Yeah. Heh.

Someone should pay you guys to make memes.

LiesToChildren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tanked:

Poll results aggregated from HuffPost Pollster, RealClearPolitics, polling firms and news reports.

Hmm...

Daily fluctuations notwithstanding, he's been trending up for some time now, including recently in the swing states Florida and NC. The media's inept, overtly manipulative handling of the election cycle's past few months is contributing to that trend, regardless of either candidates actual merits or inadequacies.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised the games media wants to be just like big brother.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c295850623f7
deactivated-5c295850623f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freakache: This. It's such a red herring in these types of discussions and a really obvious, disingenuous deflection.

Sometimes peoples actions are just shitty and they should be called out on it. No need to falsely equate on partisan lines.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

ITT: People mad that someone doesn't support the person they support. Yet, if the situation were flipped they would probably be completely fine with it.

Couldn't agree more, it's incredibly frustrating to see this community go down this route. Big ups to Rorie for monitoring these threads, it must be rough.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imsh_pl said:

Someone should pay you guys to make memes.

No Caption Provided

That'll be $20 grand and a churro. I'm up all night to get Luckey('s money).

figurehead00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I'm glad I've been too poor to buy an Oculus. If I thought even a single cent of mine went to support this stuff I'd be furious. On that same token I bet Mark Zuckerberg is just thrilled the brand he spent two billion dollars to acquire is now associated with this garbage.

Also, I haven't liked Palmer since I found out he never wears shoes, gross. This just proves I should always trust my gut.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By soulcake

For a dude that runs around with flip flops and Hawaiian shirt. I really thought he was more of a Green Party guy or a Zoltan Istvan guy.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@player1: That seems so insultingly reductionist though. The guy is financially supporting groups that do some pretty terrible shit. Even that is pretty reductionist but at least it doesn't pretend it's simply a matter of thinking someone is wrong about some factoid or other.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@player1 said:
@subjugation said:

Couldn't agree more, it's incredibly frustrating to see this community go down this route. Big ups to Rorie for monitoring these threads, it must be rough.

"You disagree with this guy but if he did the opposite, you would agree with him" isn't as smart of an observation as you guys seem to think it is.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@player1 said:
@subjugation said:

It's more frustrating to see people completely miss the point that it isn't who he supports but the ideas he supports by extension.

On that same token I bet Mark Zuckerberg is just thrilled the brand he spent two billion dollars to acquire is now associated with this garbage.

Mark Fuckerberg.

Man, I am on a god damn ROLL tonight.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Lv4Monk

The whole "if you can't make sure every single dollar doesn't support terrible things then don't bother making an effort" thought going around kinda sucks.

"You can't say for certain people tied with the Vive aren't ALSO terrible" is not the same thing as knowing you can.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By WynnDuffy

@milkman said:
@jasoncooke said:
@kogx said:

are you going to keep giving this completely wrong explanation in every thread about this?

Your way or the highway eh?

@lv4monk said:

"You can't say for certain people tied with the Vive aren't ALSO terrible" is not the same thing as knowing you can.

Or that a lead staffer on Mass Effect Andromeda is a racist.

Everyone is better off not looking too closely at the people who are involved with what we like.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Lv4Monk

@jasoncooke: It's impossible to have control over everything we'd like to have control over, we just try our best and cross our fingers.

don_dimello25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By don_dimello25

@jasoncooke:

You're seriously gonna bring in this gamergate bullshit? This topic will get closed because of you.

I wonder how many times the GB guys have to say they don't want this shit on their site before it finally sets in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c295850623f7
deactivated-5c295850623f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasoncooke: You're trying to excuse some racist shit (which you first invoked) by... bringing up other racist shit?

"Everyone is better off not looking too closely at the people who are involved with what we like."

Something something wilful ignorance...

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything has to become one side versus another and we have to pretend that each side has its own valid reasoning. Calling it racist and hateful often turns into "not being fair to someone you disagree with".

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@milkman said:
@jasoncooke said:
@kogx said:

@lv4monk said:

Everyone is better off not looking too closely at the people who are involved with what we like.

If you think those tweets from Manveer are racist or show racism you are flat out wrong and need to take a step back and reflect on your beliefs.

Bfinstad86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasoncooke: Not sure Ian Miles Cheong is the ship you wanna tie your flag to unless you wanna go down a very deep rabbit hole of GG "ethics".

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By WynnDuffy

@jay_ray said:
@jasoncooke said:
@milkman said:
@jasoncooke said:
@kogx said:

@lv4monk said:

If you think those tweets from Manveer are racist or show racism you are flat out wrong and need to take a step back and reflect on your beliefs.

If it was a white person saying that kind of stuff he would have been fired a long time ago and the Internet would have gone nuts.

@don_dimello25 said:

@jasoncooke:

You're seriously gonna bring in this gamergate bullshit? This topic will get closed because of you.

I wonder how many times the GB guys have to say they don't want this shit on their site before it finally sets in.

Someone asked about the alt-right, GamerGate is being deemed alt-right.

I couldn't care less about GG but that is the way it is.

@bfinstad86 said:

@jasoncooke: Not sure Ian Miles Cheong is the ship you wanna tie your flag to unless you wanna go down a very deep rabbit hole of GG "ethics".

Yeah maybe not, I changed it before to some YouTube video. I don't know much about him but he still shows real tweets from Manveer.

@mikachops said:

@jasoncooke: You're trying to excuse some racist shit (which you first invoked) by... bringing up other racist shit?

"Everyone is better off not looking too closely at the people who are involved with what we like."

Something something wilful ignorance...

I wasn't excusing anything, I just said you shouldn't look too closely or you may stumble across the kind of stuff I did.

Eosino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyone could explain to me why some game news outlets think Luckey's girlfriend is relevant to a discussion about his political philanthropy, I'd be appreciative.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOTR_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

"You disagree with this guy but if he did the opposite, you would agree with him" isn't as smart of an observation as you guys seem to think it is.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#93  Edited By jay_ray

@jasoncooke said:
@jay_ray said:
@lv4monk said:

If it was a white person saying that kind of stuff he would have been fired a long time ago and the Internet would have gone nuts.

You're probably right but there is a difference. This isn't the time nor place to get into why an ethnic minority poking fun at white privilege is different then a caucasian poking fun at minority groups.

To get this back to Palmer Luckey my two cents is that he has openly (proudly?) supported racist groups; this either makes him a racist or someone who uses racism to further his goals (the second one is probably worse).

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Lv4Monk

@jasoncooke: All races aren't treated equal, flipping statements to judge whether or not they hold up reversed doesn't mean anything.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By audiosnow

@conmulligan said:

@lively said:

@kogx said:
@jasoncooke said:

Yeah, "SJW" and "alt-right" aren't remotely comparable. "SJW" is inherently mocking, whereas "alt-right" is just trying to describe a particular ideology, like the terms libertarian left, religious right and neo-conservatism do.

No, it's very much a fanciful, catch-all term in that vein. The term "alternative right" didn't exist until late 2015, and it encompasses a people who exist solely on Reddit and 4Chan. It's not a political movement or an ideology, but a collection of twenty-somethings and younger who post offensive things for kicks. One claimed goal of this so-called "alt-right" is to turn Pepe the Frog into a symbol of white supremacy, and to prove that Taylor Swift is "an Aryan goddess." Nearing thirty, I have to use Urban Dictionary to understand kids, and still this attempt at Internet 'comedic satire' is really obvious.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/05/26/how-pepe-the-frog-became-a-nazi-trump-supporter-and-alt-right-symbol.html

I'll tell you how Right-leaning kids are these days. Back in November of last year I picked up Black Ops 2, and I've been playing a lot of multiplayer. Across my, oh, 173 hours, I've seen and heard about ten pro-Trump emblems and voice comments, and seen and heard literally thousands of anti-Trump messages. Yeah. Call of Duty multiplayer kids don't like Trump, and the Venn diagram of COD and 4Chan is one circle.

I'm not voting for Trump. He's made it pretty clear he'll say whatever ill-informed idiots want to hear at the time in order to get applause. He's a multi-millionare, and still he needed the attention from the public with his stupid TV shows. I'm also not voting for Hillary since she and Cheney are dizygotic twins.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Onemanarmyy

So what is the money for? buying billboard signs across the country to spread the memes? Paying the hottest memers on the twitterweb to send the memes to their followers? buying Taylor Swift tickets to worship the aryan goddess?

@mlarrabee

as a Dota player, whenever i see a political nickname / teamname, it's always Trump related. Build a wall, Make Dota great again, Trump420, Keep Peru Out etc. Always hard to say whether it's a meme for the lolz or actual support, but there's a lot of Trump going on in the mind at least.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eosino: I think they're trying to show a history of him supporting alt-right viewpoints because a) he dates her and b) she has posted such views on Twitter and he has liked some of those tweets. It's a false equivalence, and I agree that there is no news-worthy value to her being mentioned in stories about this. I am sure I wouldn't agree with her viewpoints any more than I do with Palmer's, but she isn't a public figure, and should not be scrutinized in the same way in this situation. It's poor journalism, for sure.

jaketaylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why doesn't he wanna pay me for my OC? i'm mad as hell

manqy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly just feel bad for the people working at Oculus. This is a total shitfest for them and they don't deserve that. I also feel bad for anybody who bought a Rift with developers dropping support over this. Just kind of sucks people are shitting on an entire company and their consumers because of one dude.

Couldn't agree with this more.

Well, I guess it's good to know for a fact that Palmer is a horrible person now anyways. What a piece of garbage.