Hideo Kojima is kinda like Stephen King if you think about it...

• 58 results
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jay444111

I just pissed off two groups with one topic title. The ones that blindly hate Kojima and the ones who believe Stephen King is a God. But let me explain my reasoning for why I believe both are highly alike.

Hideo Kojima is thousands of times better at making an ending than Stephen King has ever done. let me get this out of the way. Now, certain books like Running Man and The Long Walk have great endings. But even then, a huge majority of Stephen Kings endings are craptastic and underwhelming beyond belief. I won't spoil any of his books, but for anyone who has read them KNOWS how terrible he is at ending his books. Hideo however knows how to craft a far better ending than the current master of horror can. Every games ending he does is insightful, has a meaning to it, and actually does feel like a ending where you want more but know that it has come to an end anyway.

Hideo is also much more daring in his stories than Stephen King is in most of his works. (except The Stand and the dark tower series of course.) But Hideo seems like he is willing to try much more out than reserve himself. The Psycho mantis fight is proof enough that the guy is very daring. But also the fact that he is willing to be ridiculous while also being pretty damn serious in a very believable way is also a strange talent I would say, although, whether that is good or bad is for each person to decide.

Characters. Now, I might get flak for this, but I would say they are both equal in terms of making great characters. Roland Deschain and Solid Snake are quite possibly two of the biggest badasses ever made in human thought. Although I got to minus from Stephen King due to the fact that he also makes characters that are pretty damn boring quite a bit. The Stand comes to mind when I bring this up. Just very slow paced characters in that book. But Hideo is capable of making pretty crazy characters that we honestly feel sorry for like Sniper wolf or Psycho mantis or even hate with a passion like Volgin or ocelot. But it works for him in a way that it wouldn't for many others. hell, he even make a dorky scientist that loves anime into a great character, gotta give him points for that.

In terms of story however, I would say that Stephen King does take a safe road more often than Hideo does. I would go deeper into this, but I wouldn't like to spoil anything of each others stories. But I will say that Hideo is a much more daring man than Stephen King is about story.

Both ways work amazingly well though.

One problem both face however are both completely different, Hideo tends to over explain things in everything he does while King doesn't explain certain points enough. The Dark tower, The Stand, The long walk. Almost all his books suffer this Which is better though, over explaination or no explaination at all? Is up for debate. But personally, I would rather know what is going on than just make up a reason why that happened. I find that a over explained story has much fewer plot holes than any story that doesn't explain anything at all. IMO.

I will probably get massively trolled and flamed for saying this. But to be quite honest, these are my views as both as writers. both are talented but have flaws that you can notice in each others work.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

No, Stephenie Meyer is kinda like Stephen King.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I would lump George Lucas in with these two. All three of them tell awesome stories, but they can't write dialogue for shit.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By AlexW00d

I still don't believe that you are a writer. No fucking way man.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ArchScabby

I've read a Stephen King book before.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Animasta
@PrivateIronTFU said:
I would lump George Lucas in with these two. All three of them tell awesome stories, but they can't write dialogue for shit.
stephen king is fantastic at dialogue, are you mad?
Avatar image for prince_of_space
Prince_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Prince_of_Space

Yeah, King can't write kids very well,but I don't feel his dialogue is clunky or anything.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Animasta

also OP you say they are kinda like each other but you spend the entire post shitting on stephen king and then raising up kojima. I am personally insulted that one of my favorite authors was compared to that hackjob.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jay444111
@PrivateIronTFU said:
I would say that George Lucas is worse at dialogue than Hideo or King. Hideo at least has some meaning behind his dialogue and it usually works VERY well most of the time, often times being so good that it is quite quotable, "War as a videogame, what better way to create the ultimate soldier." George however hasn't been able to write worth a damn for a while now. the star wars prequals are proof enough. Hell, even the cartoon series based on his movies are better written than the main movies. While King is good at dialogue but the occiasional character just sounds... off. But even then, his best is great, "Go then, there are other worlds than these!"
jaycee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jaycee13

Child orgy in the sewers is not daring?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By KaosAngel
@jaycee13 said:
FUCK YOU MAN!  I read IT when I was a kid, did not expect that at all!
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12  Edited By JasonR86
@Jay444111:

I think the only thing they have in common is that they are both writers.  I think you may be stretching the comparison a bit thin here.
jaycee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jaycee13
@KaosAngel said:
@jaycee13 said:
FUCK YOU MAN!  I read IT when I was a kid, did not expect that at all!
Dude must have been on maaad drugs when he wrote that.
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jay444111
@Laketown said:
also OP you say they are kinda like each other but you spend the entire post shitting on stephen king and then raising up kojima. I am personally insulted that one of my favorite authors was compared to that hackjob.
Dude, Stephen King can't make a great ending, that isn't just my opinion, that is fact now. He constantly creates great stories but his endings are almost always cringe worthy amounts of underwhelming. While Hideo on a constant basis makes amazing endings that actually do feel like endings. Great ones.

Also, I didn't hate on King at all, I am just saying that he likes to take more of a safe road than Hideo does. Hideo is the kinda guy that goes, "That sounds unbelievably awesome for this story, LETS DO THIS SHIT!!!" and surprisingly, it works amazingly well for him. Both are still great ways to tell stories, I am just stating that Hideo likes to take more a chance at doing things differently.
Gumby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gumby

Hilary Clinton is kinda like Lorena Bobbitt if you think about it....

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ryanwho
@Laketown said:
@PrivateIronTFU said:
Several dozen scholarly essays have been written on King's bad dialog. Im sorry you have to find out this way but not everyone finds the New Englander quaint stupidity charming. King really enjoys magic retards.
jaycee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jaycee13

@Jay444111 said:

Now, certain books like Running Man and The Long Walk have great endings.

Dude, Stephen King can't make a great ending, that isn't just my opinion, that is fact now. 

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By ProfessorEss

Frankly I don't find King and Kojima to be very comparable at all.

You look at every aspect of writing and they are all but at the opposite ends of the scale.

Also, just my opinion of course and maybe we can blame culture and/or translation, but I think Kojima is a terrible writer.
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jay444111
@jaycee13 said:
@Jay444111 said:

Dude, Stephen King can't make a great ending, that isn't just my opinion, that is fact now. 

Those are the only few books from him that the ending wasn't half assed though. While pretty much everything he makes now has some horrible endings to them which leave many readers baffled on why he did them. Running man and the long walk had great endings though. This is a pretty common opinion of King fans actually. Long walk has the more ambitious ending while The running man has the most manly ending in a book ever read. (seriously, that ending is... Gurren Lagann kinds of epic.)
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ryanwho

The Running Man was such a goofy movie. I should hope all the 80s schlock in that movie was not part of the original book.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Animasta
@ryanwho said:

@Laketown said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:
Several dozen scholarly essays have been written on King's bad dialog. Im sorry you have to find out this way but not everyone finds the New Englander quaint stupidity charming. King really enjoys magic retards.
I aint going to deny that king likes his magical retards (there were no retards in under the dome, so THERE) and duma key was just as great, even though it was set in Florida. wanna link some of these "scholarly" essays and it's totally going to change my opinion and what you think about his dialogue is totally not subjective, which admittedly makes my earlier comment worthless but trolling is fun sometimes

also you just talked about his movies so your opinion is totally invalid
jaycee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jaycee13
@Jay444111 said:
@jaycee13 said:
@Jay444111 said:

Those are the only few books from him that the ending wasn't half assed though. While pretty much everything he makes now has some horrible endings to them which leave many readers baffled on why he did them. Running man and the long walk had great endings though. This is a pretty common opinion of King fans actually. Long walk has the more ambitious ending while The running man has the most manly ending in a book ever read. (seriously, that ending is... Gurren Lagann kinds of epic.)
The point was that you made a statement and then completely contradicted it. Also, you are not a writer.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ryanwho
@Laketown said:
@ryanwho said:

@Laketown said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:
I aint going to deny that king likes his magical retards (there were no retards in under the dome, so THERE) and duma key was just as great, even though it was set in Florida. wanna link some of these "scholarly" essays and it's totally going to change my opinion and what you think about his dialogue is totally not subjective, which admittedly makes my earlier comment worthless but trolling is fun sometimesalso you just talked about his movies so your opinion is totally invalid
Can I talk about the movie he directed, at least? I'm not casting aspersions on his premises. He, like Philip K Dick, can inspire people with the ideas he touches on to make something collectively greater, like the Shining movie (that he hated). But that doesn't make his books flawless. Can anyone really defend some of the choices he makes in the later Dark Tower books?
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jay444111
@ryanwho said:
The Running Man was such a goofy movie. I should hope all the 80s schlock in that movie was not part of the original book.
Hell no, the only parts where it was goofy was in the way that the host acts and treats everyone, that was literally the only thing they kept. Everything else is a insult to the book.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Animasta
@ryanwho said:
@Laketown said:
@ryanwho said:

@Laketown said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:
I aint going to deny that king likes his magical retards (there were no retards in under the dome, so THERE) and duma key was just as great, even though it was set in Florida. wanna link some of these "scholarly" essays and it's totally going to change my opinion and what you think about his dialogue is totally not subjective, which admittedly makes my earlier comment worthless but trolling is fun sometimesalso you just talked about his movies so your opinion is totally invalid
Can I talk about the movie he directed, at least? I'm not casting aspersions on his premises. He, like Philip K Dick, can inspire people with the ideas he touches on to make something collectively greater, like the Shining movie (that he hated). But that doesn't make his books flawless. Can anyone really defend some of the choices he makes in the later Dark Tower books?
I'm definitely not saying his books are flawless, I hate a good many of his books, and what decisions with the dark tower are you referring to? if you mean the ending, well, I think that he couldn't have ended it another way...

If you mean song of susannah than I'm totally not going to defend it and I can't even remember what was in that book. Maybe callahan? The Callahan part was one of the only good things about that book.
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jay444111
@jaycee13: I have an editor, and why won't you grow up and see that there is a difference between CONTRADICT and EXCEPTION. The Running Man and The Long Walk are the only two exceptions of the rule that all Stephen King book endings are terrible.
Also, how about not insulting people please. This is a discussion, not a flame topic you tried to make it into.
Also, now onto...

@ryanwho said: 
@Laketown said:
@ryanwho said:

@Laketown said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:
I will agree that The Dark Tower final book could've been WAY better. Susan is annoying, and everything else that happened was kinda bullcrap. Espically the ending. Also, Maximum Overdrive wasn't that bad. Certainly better than most modern movies made today. But it does have a good charm to it.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ryanwho

It just goes off the rails. 9-11 references, writing himself into the book. Its like a caricature of a King book. Which, to relate back to the topic, is kind of what Kojima is now. Sort of a caricature of himself. Its impossible to deny the impact King made through the 70s and 80s, but modern King is harder to defend. That's all.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jay444111
@Laketown said:
@ryanwho said:
@Laketown said:
@ryanwho said:

@Laketown said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:
I'm definitely not saying his books are flawless, I hate a good many of his books, and what decisions with the dark tower are you referring to? if you mean the ending, well, I think that he couldn't have ended it another way...If you mean song of susannah than I'm totally not going to defend it and I can't even remember what was in that book. Maybe callahan? The Callahan part was one of the only good things about that book.
I don't see why people hate the fifth book, it is MUCH better than the crap that is the fourth one. Hell, the comic books are a much better replacement for the fourth book than anything. At least they don't bore you to tears.
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SSully
@Laketown said:
I am personally insulted one of my favorite game developers was called a hackjob by you. You can pissed at the OP but dont drag down Hideo for the OP's ignorance. 
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Animasta
@Jay444111: under the dome had a pretty awesome ending (FIRESTORM), and the wasteland had a fantastic ending. I will agree in general about the ending stuff, and I didn't even like stand's ending (hand of god was DUMB)

oh and I guess we can agree on one thing, because the 4th book was shite. susannah was the 6th book though, I generally like the 5th one (that was wolves of the calla)
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jay444111
@SSully said:
@Laketown said:
I am personally insulted one of my favorite game developers was called a hackjob by you. You can pissed at the OP but dont drag down Hideo for the OP's ignorance. 
I am just offering my damn opinion on both of them as writers, stop flaming dammit. This is not what the topic is about.
jaycee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jaycee13
@Jay444111: No, It was a contradiction. Read it again. You said that some of his endings were great and then you said that it was a fact that none of them were. And I didn't exactly insult you, I just told you that you are not a writer, which you aren't.
laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By laserbolts

Otacon is great??? In my opinion he is one of the most annoying characters I have ever had to put up with in a game.

neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By neozeke
@AlexW00d: In skool tehy told us every1 is uh riter.

Dunt wurry aboot it, I has an editor.

I'm not a huge Stephen King fan, but damn that man can write friendships. 
Monte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Monte

In all fairness, Hideo Kojima wishes he could be half the writer Stephen King is.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By donchipotle

Stephen King books have pretty fun journeys. But the destinations often make you question if the gas money was worth it. Like that book Under the Dome. It was entertaining as shit. And then it got to the end. 

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jay444111
@jaycee13: Which is still an insult to me as a writer. Please leave, if you keep this up this will just envelope the topic I made and I don't want that for the sane fact that one person doesn't like me. Either add something to the damn topic or just not say anything. If not, will editing my post to use the word except make you feel better? Get some damn manners, please for the topics sake.
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jay444111
@monte said:
In all fairness, Hideo Kojima wishes he could be half the writer Stephen King is.
Not really considering both seem pretty equal as writers go.

@laserbolts said:
    Otacon is great??? In my opinion he is one of the most annoying characters I have ever had to put up with in a game.
Because he changed throughout the games he was in. At first he was a coward that pissed his pants at anything that moved, now is a brave guy trying to save his friends lives in the best way he can. All the while having to deal with some major family problems and some major losses all along the way and gets stronger through it all. Great character in my opinion.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iam3green

i never thought of that. i read the long walk but i don't remember it a lot. i just know it was a contest. i don't know if stephen king is a good writer or not. hideo kojima is a great writer. i played some metal gear 3 and a little bit of 4. great games.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By wrighteous86
@Jay444111 said:

@jaycee13: Which is still an insult to me as a writer. Please leave, if you keep this up this will just envelope the topic I made and I don't want that for the sane fact that one person doesn't like me. Either add something to the damn topic or just not say anything. If not, will editing my post to use the word except make you feel better? Get some damn manners, please for the topics sake.

I've seen you mention you're a writer constantly too, and as a writer, I would like to see you back up this statement. Please send me somewhere that I can see a piece of writing that you were paid for. If you have never been published, and have never been paid for your work, you aren't really a writer. You just write as a hobby, or with the intent of becoming a writer. I like acting, but I don't go around saying I'm a professional actor because I was in my high school play. 

To stay on topic, I'd argue that The Dark Tower is just as daring, if not more so, than most of Kojima's work; if by daring you mean taking risks and being ambitious. Also, the tail end of MGS4 with the return of a certain character and MGS4 as a whole as an ending to the series is terrible because it's full of retcons and convenient, nonsensical explanations.

I like both of them, but your comparisons aren't really very strong. This is a horribly thought out argument. "They are both alike so I'm going to go into great detail about how they're not alike at all and often take one side over the other."

The only real statement you made that didn't contradict your thread title is that  they both have created memorable characters (and you even contradict that in the next sentence). Oh, and "both are talented, but not perfect", which you could say almost any pairing of artists. A better title would've been, "Here's why Storyteller A has a lot in common with Storyteller B: They both do good stuff but not always".

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By QuistisTrepe

"But I will say that Hideo is a much more daring man than Stephen King is about story."

I'm not a fan of King, but this is without question just plain wrong. Kojima can afford to be incoherent and over the top because of the medium with which he tells a story. King doesn't get the luxury of being a narcissist.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HandsomeDead

The end of King's books make you feel like a schmuck for enduring them, unlike Kojima's game where the endings seem to give some actual finality; completely at odds with most video game storytelling conventions.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By VierasTalo

Alright, so. Snake and Deschain are badasses,and... Wait. That is your big reveal and similarity? That both are responsible for two badass characters? Yeah, they're TOTALLY alike! Seriously, if your post is supposed to talk about how alike they are as writers, you should talk about that instead of talking about how they're different in terms of quality on almost all aspects of writing. Your post is awfully silly as it is.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CptBedlam
@Jay444111:

1. I think Kojima's writing is for the most parts pretty atrocious. Especially dialogue is laughable and it only flies with his fanboys because all of it happens in the realm of videogames.

2. You say "why they are alike" in the title and then you spend your whole post pointing out how different they are. Get some coherence into your writing.

3. This just smells like blind Kojima-love.
nicky42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By nicky42

I can admit i'm kind of a kojima fanboy but i have to say i'm not sure you can say hideo kojima does certain things better or how this thread makes sense. Both of them have good elements but are in completely different genres. Whilst you could argue that some of the elements of metal gear solid blend with the supernatural horror of Stephen King such as the beauties, these elements are quickly removed with a single boss fight. Beyond that, i'm not sure how they can be compared (unless we go down the path of all the dialogue in the universe which is fairly common in this horror genre).

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Y'know, As a fan I was ready to flame the OP when I saw the title of the thread. After reading his post however, he's pretty much spot on.

PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By PieGuy

Stephen King is one of my favourite authors but only for the stories, his writing isn't great. Still books like 'The Stand' and 'Duma Key' always wanted kept me wanting to know what happened next, that in my opinion is good storytelling.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By cheesebob
@Jay444111: I counter with The Shining.
oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By oraknabo

Comparing a game designer's writing to a (mediocre) writer's writing seems pointless. Kojima may write bizarre fever-dream political intrigue, but as a game designer he is brilliant. Has King ever done anything with his medium like the Psycho Mantis battle in MGS or the Sorrow in Snake Eater? How about that incredibly long ladder or the fake fail screens in MGS2? In this, he's more comparable to John Barth or Robert Coover or someone like Italo Calvino. There may be other designers that really mess around with the medium more, Suda51 comes to mind, but Kojima can really blow your mind in ways King never will. He's much more comparable to postmodernism or metafiction than popular horror/fantasy.