How do video game reviewers get early access to games?

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Jayross

So I feel that publishers have established sites that they send copies of games to, sites like IGN, Giant Bomb, etc.

But I also feel that there are smaller sites that get review copies as well, so how did they do it?

I doubt it is an easy process, but is there any chance of me contacting a publisher to cover a game for a school newspaper? It is a bit of a reach, and I'm sure there are a lot of legal things that will need to be sorted out, but I am interested.

Does anyone have any insight into this process?

Thanks,

Jayross

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

...some sites got GT5 last week, but it was only the major sites and the official PS sites.  GB didn't get GT5 >.>

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By DrPockets000

Always worth a try, but I wouldn't count on it.  But always worth a try.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Jayross

Should I contact the PR person associated with the particular game?

Avatar image for cocorodriguez--defunct
CocoRodriguez--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Unless your school newspaper is read by tens of thousands of people I really doubt they'd send you a review copy. No harm in shooting them an email on the off chance that you get it but don't get your hopes up.

As far as how smaller sites review copies, that more than likely comes down to knowing the right people. GB, for example, is considered a smaller gaming site, but all the guys have been working in the game journalism industry for a looooong time and are known on a first-name basis with a lot of developers and PR people. I'm gonna hazard a guess and say that a school newspaper doesn't have those connections.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It depends on the game and the publisher, but a lot of publishers will provide review copies to smaller publications if you build up a good relationship with them. Even then, you'd be hard pressed to get review copy for a school newspaper, and I highly doubt you will be able to get early access copies of any game, you'll be far more likely to get a review copy after the game is out.

But either way, it's worth a try, so get in touch with some publishers and see what they say.

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By trulyalive

I dunno, Matty. That guy we know got that thing for the project that exists...
Although I think that might have already been out so I don't know >_<;

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond

With a school newspaper I imagine it would be hard because you don't have something easily accessed with proof of your competence.  We've gotten review copies of downloadable games at BonusEXP, I'm working on a review of Super Meat Boy right now.  The key is being respectful and not exploiting the process.  If you're getting review copies just to get games early or for free odds are you'll be blacklisted quickly.  The other key seems to be having something to show of your works.

Contact PR and be polite, respectful, patient, and courteous.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aronman789

Contact them, compliment them with the equivalent of a blow job, tell them you're a reviewer, they send game, you review.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By stinky

you on drugs? 
a school newspaper?

bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By bibledoctor

I highly doubt they'll send you a copy of a big market game for a school newspaper, as there is really no huge upside for them. But hell its worth a shot I suppose, contact their public relations and try and be as professional as possible.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mighty
@DrPockets000 said:
"Always worth a try, but I wouldn't count on it.  But always worth a try. "
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

For me I just contacted PR email, said who I was part of and the request was for review purposes. I got Castlevania: Lords of Shadow last week but still have to review it; ALMOST DONE!

Some PR companies are happy to give you a copy if you can fulfill your end but some demand a bit more like Alexa rankings and such. It's not a bad thing to try asking especially your position in a newspaper.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By astrotriforce
@MattyFTM said:

" It depends on the game and the publisher, but a lot of publishers will provide review copies to smaller publications if you build up a good relationship with them. Even then, you'd be hard pressed to get review copy for a school newspaper, and I highly doubt you will be able to get early access copies of any game, you'll be far more likely to get a review copy after the game is out.  But either way, it's worth a try, so get in touch with some publishers and see what they say. "

As he said, it depends on the company. Some companies are extremely liberal and will send you everything and anything and even stuff you don't want or didn't ask for. Other companies are extremely tight and won't even send you complete games or they'll ask for the games back after you are done. Luckily for me I've gotten mostly retail copies, that means my game is sealed as if I just bought it at a store, complete with Club Nintendo inserts and the-like and often with PR related material. But all the companies operate differently. Remember, what they care about most is publicity. So even though it's a school newspaper, you could say it's read by so-many-thousands of students and that might convince them. It also depends on how big the game is and how many copies they have in stock to give away (pro tip: Try for smaller games, it could increase the audience for it which is what they want). But publicity is gold to them and it virtually costs them nothing to send you a complete game for what they see as gains in tons more people becoming aware of their game.  

Contact the PR person of a company via e-mail or phone the company and ask for public relations. Some PR people are also nicer than others, so while one might dismiss you another might see an opportunity and hook you up. Try to "sell" it to them without being stupid about it, simply state the readership of the paper and be honest. If this will be a monthly thing, then that could help your chances as well, as they could see it as an interesting way to tap into school kids directly. Just try various companies.. You can also go through third-party companies.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By CL60

Just gotta contact them.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By the8bitNacho

Are we talking about a high school newspaper or a college campus newspaper? The latter of those two choices would increase your chances of obtaining a review copy several times, though there's never a guarantee. The best thing to do is to build a relationship with PR through. I've been down this path, and if you want to write about games then you can't do it half-assed; contact a specific PR person for the company you're interested in, use them to confirm news and to get your hands on screenshots and stuff like that. After a while you'll build the kind of network that you will need to get your hands on a free press copy. And make sure you're emailing a copy of the finished review to that same member of PR, especially if it's a good one. It keeps them satisfied that you're actually writing and serving an audience rather than simply playing through your free games and writing a few disjointed paragraphs.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By astrotriforce
@Kombat said:
" Are we talking about a high school newspaper or a college campus newspaper? The latter of those two choices would increase your chances of obtaining a review copy several times, though there's never a guarantee. The best thing to do is to build a relationship with PR through. I've been down this path, and if you want to write about games then you can't do it half-assed; contact a specific PR person for the company you're interested in, use them to confirm news and to get your hands on screenshots and stuff like that. After a while you'll build the kind of network that you will need to get your hands on a free press copy. And make sure you're emailing a copy of the finished review to that same member of PR, especially if it's a good one. It keeps them satisfied that you're actually writing and serving an audience rather than simply playing through your free games and writing a few disjointed paragraphs. "
I'd actually say it depends on the target-audience of the game whether a high-school or college paper would be preferable. kiddy games, family-friendly games are generally under-represented with reviewers, so if you want to review some family-friendly titles or kid ones (Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs just came out, try asking Nintendo for it if you're in high-school or younger, kids love Pokemon) and you're younger they might go for it. 
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By the8bitNacho
@astrotriforce: Regardless, a college newspaper is going to reach a much larger audience.