#1 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3069 posts) -
#2 Edited by ZanzibarBreeze (3069 posts) -

I don't get annoyed by the gimmicky names when they don't hinder my choice in any way. So, it's pretty obvious that if "Brutal" is at the bottom of the list and "Amateur" is at the top they're the polar opposites. But I just don't see the need for gimmicky names. A lot of the time it seems like developers are trying too hard to be funny, or unique, or, god forbid, classy. And sometimes gimmicky names legitimately get in the way. It's always sports games for me. I never know the difference between "Rookie" and "Amateur". It feels like 2K has six or seven difficulty levels for each of their sports games. And I remember when Namco used to shoehorn in just as many difficulty levels in their old arcade games. I'm happy with just Easy/Medium/Hard/"Extreme" or "Very Hard" or whatever.

#3 Posted by Ignor (2372 posts) -
#4 Posted by natetodamax (19170 posts) -

I like clever names.

#5 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

I like playing on Elite, makes me feel bad ass.

#6 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -

I don't care for it really but If i had to chose I would stick with the classic easy - hard.

#7 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

Why is there no 
C: I don't care either way

#8 Edited by fuzzyponken (694 posts) -

It's never been a problem for me. It's fairly obvious that they go from easiest at the top to hardest at the bottom. I 

I do hate it when games tell me to play on hard when I've finished it on a lower difficulty. Some games even go so far as to deny me the real ending if I'm not playing on hard, like No More Heroes. That's bullshit. 

#9 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

It really doesn't make any difference to me.

#10 Posted by Guyzea (815 posts) -

Yeah, Dirt 2 and Mass Effect 2 could be pretty confusing if they weren't in order (easiest to hardest).

#11 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -

Don't really care to much about what they're called. 

You should have made a - C. Doesn't matter

#12 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -

give me 'Bring it on motherfucker' difficulty.

#13 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

It's called polish and when a developer bothers to come up with clever names it generally (unless we're talking about the Matt Retard..sorry Hazard games) means the developer has taken the time to treat every aspect of their title with some proper context. 

#14 Posted by MKHavoc (1306 posts) -

I don't have a preference.  Although if you're going to try and be creative with the names, at least make it clear what each one is.

#15 Posted by DJL (202 posts) -

I don't care.

#16 Posted by Spike94 (735 posts) -

I loves 'em gimmicky. If they are the classic stuff then meh, that's fine.
#17 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5376 posts) -

I don't like it because sometimes it is confusing :( 

#18 Posted by Workyticket (108 posts) -
@Coombs said:
" Why is there no  C: I don't care either way "
Quoted for truth. I don't see how it's that much of an issue, as long as it's clear what they mean. And besides, aren't they always ranked top to bottom anyway? It seems common sense to assume that the one at the top is the easiest, and the one at the bottom the hardest. Maybe I'll be a prick and someday make a game that has a difficulty menu that's wordy AND jumbled, like:

Quixotic
Obtuse
Beatific
Acknowledged
#19 Posted by Bones8677 (3210 posts) -

I think they're cute, but sometimes they can get a little too crazy. Like when there's a "hardcore" mode, then a "Super Hardcore" and then an "Ultra Super Hardcore." Left 4 Dead 2 is kinda like that with "Advance," "Expert," and "Realism." You got three levels of hard difficulty? Do you really need that many?

#20 Posted by JJOR64 (18906 posts) -
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" I don't like it because sometimes it is confusing :(  "
I'm with you there.  I prefer normal terms.
#21 Posted by Fripplebubby (1027 posts) -

I love the Kane and Lynch ones: 

Aspirin 

Codeine 

Cocaine 

(I think that's it, if not it's quite similar) 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not much on drugs, but it was creative and really fit the game. 

#22 Posted by Mmmslash (2166 posts) -
@Bones8677:  Realism is actually a whole seperate game mode.

The L4D2 difficulties are:

Easy
Normal
Advanced
Expert

I think that is pretty straightforward.
#23 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i like when there are gimmicky names for difficulty. i think it is great idea that they make. i usually play on normal when playing games. i am not skilled enough to play on hard difficulties.

#24 Posted by Mmmslash (2166 posts) -

Also, how can you not love:

#25 Posted by Capum15 (4808 posts) -

I'm fine with any names, but I prefer the old Easy - (very) Hard types.

I do like Halo's though (Easy, Normal, Heroic and Legendary, "Mystic" if you grab the right skulls + Legendary).

#26 Posted by President_Barackbar (3432 posts) -

I like the normal terms, sometimes it just gets too confusing when they have weird names. It can be hard to judge how much of a leap the different settings are with gimmicky names. However, I don't mind them too much if they come with an explanation, bonus points if its funny (like in Rogue Warrior: This difficulty is for pussies).

#27 Posted by HatKing (5815 posts) -

I like the gimmicky ones because they're usually followed by an informative yet hilarious description.  Something like "Bitch Mode- The enemies cower in fear of your presence and you will murder all of their faces."  Or "We Hate You Mode- You'll die... a lot."
#28 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

When it's ambiguous as to what it actually means for the difficulty of the game, that is when it is bad.  All of the other times?  Who gives a fuck?  It does not effect the game in any tangible way, so I can't say that I really care.

#29 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow: lol no. So you're saying if a game has gimmicky difficulty names its automatically a good game...
#30 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Whisperkill:  As you saw I mentioned Matt Hazard in the negative, so no not automatically.
#31 Posted by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

I'm a traditionalist, I like them clear and straight to the point.  The last thing I want to worry about before I start a game is what the hell is the difference between "seasoned" and "professional".  I am willing to fudge this rule on games where you can unlock a bonus difficulty.  If at that point the developers want to name it something asinine like "hyper-mega-death-extreme" then I am okay with that.  

#32 Posted by RicosRevenge (5 posts) -

Normally I hate gimmicky names, but I was just watching the QL for the RE5 dlc and I loved the fact that "easy" was called "amateur." I think it's probably fine as long as it's obvious which is which.

#33 Posted by Ignor (2372 posts) -

Postal 2 had a little of both:

• Liebermode
  • Too Easy
  • Very Easy
  • Easy
  • Remedial
  • Average
  • Aggressive
  • Hard
  • Very Hard
  • Manic
  • Hestonworld
  • Insane-o
  • They Hate Me
#34 Posted by Ghostiet (5223 posts) -

I like both, mostly because the gimmicky ones have explanations. And some gimmicky ones are hilarious.

#35 Posted by gamerover (36 posts) -

Gimmicky names are fine so long as it obvious which ones are harder relative to each other. Even if you use normal terms such as in Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4, but you screw up the order of the terms, it can be confusing as to which level is harder.

#36 Posted by Pie (7053 posts) -

I like gimmicky ones, especially when theres a description aswell

#37 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3069 posts) -
@Coombs said:
"C: I don't care either way "
Because I don't like fence-sitters. :D
#38 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -
@ZanzibarBreeze: 
What can I say,  I'm an indecisive bastard.
#39 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

RAPE Mode
#40 Edited by DevWil (842 posts) -

as long as it's clear, what's the problem? 

Amateur/Pro/All-Star/Legend makes sense. 

Hazardous/Dangerous/Perilous doesn't quite help as much.

#41 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

I prefer normal terms.  Everyone's trying to have their own original difficulty levels which I don't really care for :\

#42 Posted by Fallen189 (4940 posts) -

"hurt me plenty"

#43 Posted by warbadger (40 posts) -

The only time I like gimmicky is when it is funny, like Wolfenstein's

• Can I play, Daddy?- Very Easy. Knock Nazis over with a feather.
  • Don't hurt me- Still pretty easy, but the guards aren't quite as dumb.
  • Bring 'em on- The default difficulty. Those soldiers are gunning for you now.
  • I am Death Incarnate!- Extremely difficult! Only the best of the best should attempt this challenge.
#44 Posted by takua108 (1478 posts) -

Similarly, I enjoy the classic Doom difficulty levels: 

• I'm Too Young To Die
  • Hey, Not Too Rough
  • Hurt Me Plenty
  • Ultra-Violence
  • NIGHTMARE!
Yeah I don't really care.
#45 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -

I have yet to see a hard mode called "Epic Carnage" mode. Bungie or Epic Games, deliver!