How hard is it to actually assemble a PC?

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Drizzle

I've always contemplated building my own PC in regards to it being more cost efficient rather than purchasing a gaming pc from Dell, HP, or the like. However the daunting task of trying to assemble it once all the hardware has been bought has always seemed like a job best suited for a more technological savvy individual. Now my question is how hard is it really to put together a gaming rig i.e. putting hardware into place and making sure it functions properly. I know there's a sticky that breaks down the hardware that i would need but i just want to know how hard assembly will and could be.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Clinkz
Not hard at all.
Tirrandir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Tirrandir

It's pretty easy, but I really think you need to have someone who knows guiding you through the process the first time. If you were on your own, you could probably make do with reading all instructions, watching a bunch of tutorial videos online, etc. The hardest part then is making sure everything is made to go together and troubleshooting any issues that may arise.

I just learned recently, myself. Had a friend walk me through all the steps, and was shocked how what looked intimidating broke down to a pretty simple 'plug everything in in the right order' process.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By fwylo

I recently built one of my own.  And I didn't know much at all.  I had always been able to install a card or whatever but had no idea about everything else.  The only thing that is a must is to get the CPU mounted to the Motherboard by someone that knows what they are doing because if you bend one of those tiny pins you will mess it up.  Other than that it is all pretty forgiving I would say.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By raviolisumo

Find a friend that knows computery things and ask them to help you with it. Youtube probably has a million DIY computer video type things.  

Once you've done it though, agreed, not hard at all.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake

Depends on how computer literate you are really but either way it shouldn't be too hard. Still, if you're unsure it's best to consult a guide or someone you know who's built a PC before. It's not hard per se, just easy to fuck up if you do something wrong.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Clinkz said:

" Not hard at all. "

bullshit, ive been a PC gamer for two years and i cant keep up with all the new hardware and what graphics card is compatible with this motherboard and will it make me change my CPU and  FFFFFUUUUUUU-----
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Clinkz said:

" Not hard at all. "

bullshit, ive been a PC gamer for two years and i cant keep up with all the new hardware and what graphics card is compatible with this motherboard and will it make me change my CPU and  FFFFFUUUUUUU----- "
Building a PC is easy. 

But finding the right parts at the right price that are work optimally with the other components is a different story. That's the thing with PC gaming. You really gotta keep on top of all the new hardware that gets released. It's not easy keeping tabs on all the PC companies but thankfully for most people, certain websites and magazines (PC Gamer UK for example) often release a monthly update on all the new hardware for the past month. Including reviews. You could look yourself but considering how these guys do it for a living it's a lot easier and stress free.
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By AndrewB

It helped me to take apart a computer I already owned and transplant it into a new case. Once you've got that basic part down, the rest is all about knowing what parts you're going to need to get the thing running.

Basically, read tech sites. Read reviews and figure out what parts are the best for your needs. Study one of the many guides you can find for free on the internet. When you think you're ready, and when the time to buy is right (usually after the release of a major hardware advancement), buy buy buy.

Most of the stuff is simple plugging in of parts. Probably the most daunting thing for me on my first build was applying thermal paste. There's an optimal pattern for different processors, and applying the right amount takes practice. Unfortunately, it's annoying having to clean off both contact points every time you mess up, and thermal paste comes in tiny little tubes that are relatively expensive for what they are.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GunnBjorn

I'm a complete technical ignoramus, but even i could assemble a PC a few years ago. 
You don't have to understand the hardware in order to assemble it. 
Compatibility issues may occur. 
AMD/ATI is a good match. 
So is Intel/NVIDIA.
jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By jmrwacko
@Clinkz said:
" Not hard at all. "
It's posts like this that cause idiots to RMA everything they bought because they don't know what a CPU cooler is.
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By StaticFalconar
@The_Drizzle: If you are smart enough to build IKEA furniture, you can build your own PC.
Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Castro

It is stupid easy. I finally built my own computer about two years ago and it took about thirty minutes or less. I was paranoid about putting the processor in, but it just kinda slid into place. I put the clamp down and that was it. If I can do it, anyone can.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By nintendoeats
@GunnBjorn said:
"
I'm a complete technical ignoramus, but even i could assemble a PC a few years ago. 
You don't have to understand the hardware in order to assemble it. Compatibility issues may occur. AMD/ATI is a good match. So is Intel/NVIDIA. "
I'm going to have to disagree with you on the hardware compatibility front. Despite AMD owning ATi, in the end if you pair an ATi card with an Intel processor (like I did prior to my 9600GT) it should still work fine, likewise for Nvidia and AMD.

But to repeat what has been said before: get some help, but don't worry too much. Its not as complicated as it seems.

The instructions that come with the mobo will explain how do just about everything.

But be careful to read your fan's manual first (assuming you aren't using the stock fan) as there are a wide variety of ways to attatch those, many of which have to be done before putting the mobo in. Also be careful of cable management, it really is an infuriating process trying to keep everything organised in there.

And welcome to the wide world of PC building :)
Exton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Exton
@StaticFalconar said:

" @The_Drizzle: If you are smart enough to build IKEA furniture, you can build your own PC. "

@The_Drizzle: If you are smart enough to play with Legos, you can build your own PC.     
greenblattsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By greenblattsam

It is all plug and play. The hard part is making sure it is all compatible. I suggest finding a knowledgeable buddy to help you the first time. 

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

Here, let Brad walk you through it:

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#18  Edited By wefwefasdf

Very easy. I've assembled two and I'm not that great with computers.

mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mithhunter55

I did it for a co-op in high school, the hardest part is making sure you have the right type of ram and its not that hard any ways.  
The mother board comes with a manual on how to hook up the power button and stuff. Most things these days are colour coded so if you look in the general area it should go well.

@eroticfishcake:  Why do you need to keep track of new hardware, just live in the year ago or two realm. Or not its not really that hard the numbers are usually bigger. I had a 9600 since last summer and now i have a g210m.  I didn't even know that nvidia wasn't going to make a series 10. Now its g _ _ _    right? So what ever the biggest number should be the most high end. I aim for the mid range cards any ways.

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Semition

It was easy a few years ago. It's even easier now with so many tutorial videos.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By gunslingerNZ

It's very very easy. Most of the time your motherboard will have a pretty good set of step by step instructions with it that you can use if it's your first time so you don't really need someone there to help you out. There's really not much to it and you save a lot of cash by shopping for the best prices for each individual part.

Avatar image for buttonsmcboomboom
ButtonsMcBoomBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thing doesn't fit in the slot? Try another slot. 

Once you run out of things to put into other things your computer will be built.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23  Edited By Geno

It's like the hardest thing ever, you need a blowtorch, a crowbar, a soldering iron and some duct tape.  

Or at least that's how some people perceive it >.> 

Building PCs aren't that hard (I'm not going to say it's ridiculously easy either you are working with complex electronics and must be careful), but there are a plethora of guides and each instruction manual fully contains the information you need as well.  

@ButtonsMcBoomBoom said:

" Thing doesn't fit in the slot? Try another slot.  Once you run out of things to put into other things your computer will be built. "
Hahaha, sage advice. 
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By meteora

Assembling a PC is really easy.

Just figuring out if it certain components or parts work is a different story. Also you're asking this from a site where most PC gamers will have knowledge on how to build a computer. They'll see it as easy, but your average joe will probably not know how or finds it too difficult.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

It's pretty easy, but it can't hurt to have someone walk you through it the first time. 

Also, you'll almost certainly want to get some input on what to buy to avoid any compatibility issues, missing components, or wasting your money on something. Hell, I've built quite a few PC's and I still make sure I get a second opinion from a few people before I make a purchase.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GunnBjorn
@nintendoeats: 

Ah, thanks for the friendly rectification/notification. 
This testifies that i'm indeed unsmart regarding computers.
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By Astras

If you know the difference with motherboards and what processors graphics cards (AGP(old now) or PCI Express (type) etc) it's like playing with lego.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

There are just a few things you should always keep in mind: 

• Don't touch anything before getting rid of your static charge (or wear gloves)
  • Try not to touch any shiny parts, only plastic parts on the outside, if possible.
  • Don't break off anything, even the smallest part could be essential
  • Think about the order before you start. Some parts can get hard to reach once something else is in place
  • Work slowly, no rush. When in doubt, ask someone. Do it by the book.
  • Never run anything without cooling in place, not even for a 20 second test run.

But, as Astras said, these days practically every slot and contact is color- or shape-coded and it's actually more difficult to make a mistake than not to. It's really essentially electronic LEGO.
AngelKore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AngelKore

These days when we upgrade/buy a new computer, my dad just sits back and says "Build it for me, will ya?" :3
As long as you know that the parts you are getting are compatible with each other, it's almost as easy putting a jigsaw puzzle together. You really can't put something in the wrong slot, (Hur Hur) and the CPU is pretty much fool-proof compared to a few years ago. Just watch a couple of DIY videos on youtube to see where all the small LED light cords for the case goes, and you're fine.
The only real thing that you can fuck up badly is the CPU, but as I said, it's now filled with so many counter-measures that you'd have to be hitting the motherboard with a hammer to do any real damage.