• 52 results
#1 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

the last game i played any amount of was dragons dogma and that was a fluke. for some reason it just grabbed me and i played around 30 hours and then quit. before that it was weeks since id play anything. i wish i knew what the deal was. somtimes i go weeks or longer. i have a HUGE backlog of games. spanning multiple consoles yet i have no drive to play anything. i might pick up my vita for a few mins to play a bit of castlevania or somthing but not for long. other than picking up MGSHD COLLECTION and Lollipop Chainsaw later this week. im not sure if ill even be in the mood.

has this happend to anyone else? id like to polish off some of my collection i just dont have the urge. instead i prowl giant bomb.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Not very.

#3 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

A week? at least 4 or 5 days.

#4 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

@Video_Game_King:

well your the king. i expect nothing less! i mean i keep up to date with all things gaming related, just somtimes have to force myself to actually play somthing. i mean i just bought persona 3 for fucks sake and ive spent less than an hour on it!

#5 Posted by SeanFoster (869 posts) -

I find in the spring and summer months games become more of a rainy day activity for me and if the weather's nice, I'll be out with friends and it'll be a week or two before I really sit down to dig into a game. For example, I've been working on the 10 or so hour Max Payne 3 single player campaign for about 2 weeks now.

#6 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

A pretty long time, like 3-4 weeks sometimes. My school schedule just isn't conducive to playing games ever, so at most I'll play games like 30 minutes a week, if at all.

#7 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

@HarlequinRiot:

lol,i wish i had that excuse. i usually have nothing else to do so i have no excuse not to be playing a game.

#8 Posted by Meltac (2002 posts) -

@SeanFoster said:

I find in the spring and summer months games become more of a rainy day activity for me and if the weather's nice, I'll be out with friends and it'll be a week or two before I really sit down to dig into a game. For example, I've been working on the 10 or so hour Max Payne 3 single player campaign for about 2 weeks now.

Yup, this pretty much sums up how it is for me too.

#9 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

A week I think at the most.

#10 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

I always squeeze in at least one or two hours of games everyday.
Be they a few quick battles in Pokemon, killing some dudes in Diablo or stabbing some dudes in Mount and Blade.

Can go without them though, but I if I have the choice I rather not!

#11 Edited by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

With my current job it's been about 2 months since I played any real amount of any game. I get home at 2:30 am, and I'm so mentally exhausted from work that I can't muster the energy to play a game so I just watch a movie or an episode or two of some TV show until around 4:30. I then "sleep" until around 12:00pm, being woken up every hour or so because I live in a house full of rude, noisy and disrespectful fools, and I have to be off for work by 2:30pm. It takes me at least an hour to shake off the tiredness from the night before, and that doesn't leave me a lot of time to do anything but get ready for that day.

When a weekend does roll around I can never get motivated to start anything ether. I'm an RPG guy, and pretty much all of my backlog are long and deep RPG's. So the idea of starting into one knowing that I'm only going to get to play it for two days out of a week turns me off because I know I will have to re-learn the game every week or spend the entire weekend doing nothing but playing that game every waking moment.

I spend more time watching videos about games then I do playing them. Yesterday and today were my weekends this week, and so far I only got in about 15 min of TF2 and the rest of yesterday was spent watching Season 3 of Modern Family. Today is probably going to be buying a Pizza and watching a couple movies.

#12 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I can go weeks without playing games if need be, I'm like a Camel.

#13 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

For the last 3 years I've been on something of a roll. During that time, the longest span of time I've gone between playing games was less than 4 weeks. Before that there were times where I might go months playing nothing. I guess during these past 3 years things like discovering smaller XBLA style or Steam games, Wii Sports, a year and a half of having to watch my nephew after school and us playing games together, buying a gaming laptop, and a whole bunch of great titles released in those years have helped keep gaming at the forefront of my attention.

#14 Posted by GaspoweR (3050 posts) -

For around three years, I couldn't go on for more than 2 days to at most a week without being able to play somethingn on the console or a laptop. Now I could go on for a week or even at most a month or more without sitting down to actually play something. The last time I fired up a game was Mass Effect 3 and that was more than month ago.

#15 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Less than a day. Once every few months I might have a dead period of a day or two if i get bored somehow.

#16 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

I didn't play anything for the first 3 days of E3. That was the longest I've gone without playing something.

#17 Posted by Rapid (1368 posts) -

Depends on what time of the year it is, a lot of my games put in to the back burner unfortunately.

#18 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

A few hours sometimes. It's rough.

#19 Posted by optimusprime223 (399 posts) -

depends on work and other things, normally about a week at most but I try to play at least an hour a day...

#20 Posted by PenguinDust (12523 posts) -

Weeks to a couple of months. Honestly, I have never ever worried about it. I play when I want to play and don't when I don't. I have a backlog of games, sure but I'll get around to them a some point, probably. If not, then I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I try not to buy anything unless it's on sale so if it languishes, I don't feel I lost money on it. I'm not into competitive online, so that's not a factor. I can wait 6 months to a year to play a game. I don't worry about finishing games either, but I do try to play a considerable amount of a game so I get my money's worth. I'll come back to a game years later sometimes, so how far I get doesn't matter since chances are I'll have to restart anyway.

#21 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

I can go 3-5 days without any gaming when I'm really busy or longer if there's really no choice in it but I'll eventually give in and play something as a break/rest. Sure I'll have off days where I don't feel like playing anything but I can't see myself not playing games in a week.

#22 Posted by PhantomGardener (464 posts) -

1-2 days most of the time.

#23 Posted by bchampnd (108 posts) -

I usually only make it a few days without playing even though I've been pretty busy with work lately. I can usually get in 30 minutes to an hour before bed.

I've also used video games as a workout tool for years. I fire up NCAA Football, FIFA or NHL and ride a stationary bike for around an hour (which amounts to one game of NCAA using quarter lengths of 6 or 7 minutes or 3 or 4 of FIFA or NHL). I know many gamers frown upon sports games but I enjoy them and, because they rarely require overly precise control and focus when playing against the CPU, I'm able to play them while riding. I've tried other games but trying to aim with the right stick doesn't work so well and I like to be actively doing something in the game at all times to keep my focus away from riding so games with lots of cutscenes or dialogue to sit through also get knocked out. So if it's been a while since I've played a game I'm probably putting on weight so need to do something about that.

#24 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

Depends. Due to my schedule now, I only get to play a lot on the weekends and only maybe an hour on weekdays.

#25 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

There are games that I have bought, put in and played for 10 mins and say I'll come back to it later. Its been 8 years and I never went back to that copy of Blast Corps.

#26 Posted by Neferon (262 posts) -

Depends. I tend to fill a lot of my free time with gaming.

#27 Posted by Euphorio (77 posts) -

At worst I go 3 or 4 days if I’m really entrenched in stuff…but I at least make time to play on my iPad or to crank out some grinding on Diablo.

I know that feeling you’re getting, for sure. There are times where I just don’t feel like picking up a controller and would rather just surf the web or watch a movie. It passes after a night’s sleep, though.

#28 Posted by Danteveli (1186 posts) -

probably a month or two at best. Now with all the phones and stuff its probably impossible.

#29 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Lately, a surprisingly long time due to constantly working.

#30 Edited by NTM (7383 posts) -

As long as I want I guess. I usually don't go long without playing though, maybe a few days, and then I'll play again. I love video games as a hobby, just as I love watching films. Playing a new Dead Space game is almost like me going to see Prometheus today. I don't go without games 'cause I'm thinking about giving up on them, I just do it 'cause I don't think sitting in my room playing video games each and every day is a way to make me happy, and sometimes I just can't think of anything to play, and want a new one, so I don't play anything for a few days until I can think of something to play, or another gives me a reason to. For instance, I just started playing Dead Space 2 and Crysis 2 again (although I hardly stopped doing that in the first place) because of what was shown at E3. Ironically, after (as I have checked) over three days of play time in the Crysis 2 campaign, I finally enjoy it. I guess I just found a way to enjoy it more. I still think a lot of the problems I had before are present, but they're bothering me less (other than the poor voice acting).

#31 Posted by Portis (1287 posts) -

Usually a week at most. Sometimes I feel like playing video games, sometimes I don't. My regular schedule is playing a game every other day.

#32 Posted by believer258 (11923 posts) -

It varies wildly.

#33 Posted by eternitymemory (153 posts) -

A couple of months, usually during autumn and winter.

#34 Posted by upwarDBound (654 posts) -

A few days sometimes a week. When I play games though I usually play long sessions of three or more hours. I can't feasibly do that everyday.

#35 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

a couple of days. i have a very open schedule so i always have time.

#36 Posted by fisk0 (4129 posts) -

When there's been a lot to do at work and way too little sleep, I tend to skip playing games for a couple of weeks. 2 weeks or more may not be that often, but 3-5 days of non-gaming happens fairly regularly.

#37 Posted by Chroma_Auron (112 posts) -

I think I once went two months without playing video games during a semester of taking college classes. I was watching games streams, homework, and other stuff. Those are rare binge months though as most of the time I do play games almost daily even if it's an hour or two. It helps from being overwelmed by a back catalogue.

#38 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

Weeks. Not because I'm busy, but because games have become extremely formulaic and unexciting for me. Notable exceptions are franchises I am already committed too. I play those to see what happens next.

#39 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Unless I'm playing a new game or revisiting an old game, I don't really play games that often. Maybe the occasional game of LoL or Dota 2 every few days or so. I really don't play many games as of lately. It's kind of a dead period right now too.

#40 Posted by Ben_H (3362 posts) -

During summer I can play whenever if I'm not working but during school I will go a few weeks up to a month without playing anything depending on how busy I am.

#41 Edited by awesomeusername (4187 posts) -

Well I got my high school diploma in September so I couldn't start college January so when I got my PS3 on Christmas, it's just been non stop playing really. I've beaten probably about 10 games since then and there's still more. My friend has a couple games I want to play (for trophies really) so I'll be playing them next week. Then I'll be buying PS+ also because all those free games they're giving away. That's like 12-13 games I have to play now, some are small though because they're PSN(SEN) games so they won't take long to beat. It's been about a week though since I actually played a game because I currently beat all the games I have and I'm just waiting to get Spiderman from my friend. I could go a week max without playing though.

#42 Posted by Thoraxe (6 posts) -

I usually take a good 2-3 months break inbetween games. The games are better when you actually take a pause from them.

#43 Posted by Pazy (2581 posts) -

I go to bed sometimes, and then maybe I have to go out for something. Otherwise I really, really like gaming...

#44 Posted by Nadafinga (958 posts) -

Before I had kids = never more than a few days

After kids = weeks

Needless to say, the wife doesn't like it when I play Battlefield with an infant on my lap.....

#45 Edited by zombie2011 (4973 posts) -

Couple months, i found i don't really enjoy playing games. Some i do of course, but only a few so i've pretty much stopped playing most games, but i still enjoy reading about them and following the gaming community for some reason.

#46 Posted by Thoraxe (6 posts) -

@zombie2011:

I'm not your psychologist but perhaps you should seek help.

I don't like golf, I certainly wouldn't enjoy participating in the golf community.

#47 Posted by ZombieSpace (286 posts) -

3-4 months, maybe more.

#48 Posted by zombie2011 (4973 posts) -

@Thoraxe said:

@zombie2011:

I'm not your psychologist but perhaps you should seek help.

I don't like golf, I certainly wouldn't enjoy participating in the golf community.

I didn't say i don't like Video Games. I said i don't enjoy most only a few, i only play like 3-4 games a year i'm also really busy and don't have time to play games.

#49 Posted by johncallahan (568 posts) -

Usually a day at most, as soon as I finish one game I'm jumping into another. Like today for example, I finished Ico and as soon as the credits finished I jumped into Vanquish. The only time I really take extended breaks is when I travel.... but even then I usually have my 3DS/Vita with me, though much less inclined to use them then.

#50 Posted by Slag (4418 posts) -

Used to be two days or so

more recently I had an 18 month-ish stretch without really gaming much, not sure I did once but not completely sure I didn't either. Whatever it was, it wasn't much.

Sometimes life demands sacrifice.