How To Make Deus Ex: Human Revolution Not Suck.

NegativeCreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NegativeCreep

The original Deus Ex was a groundbreaking revolution in storytelling, atmosphere and gameplay. After watching the Deus Ex: Human Revolution trailer, I'm cautiously optimistic.

However, us Deus Ex fans have been burned before. Here's how to make sure it doesn't happen again.

1. Atmosphere and Mood
The first Deus Ex portrayed a society coming apart from disease, economic unrest and the threat of international terrorism. This is a world where shit has gotten so bad, that armed groups are literally attempting to secede from the United States and having gunfights with counter-terrorism forces in the middle of New York City. This is a world of black helicopters, secret societies and conspiracy. Deus Ex: Invisible War was a boring, plodding piece of garbage that had the player running through environments that looked like futuristic shopping malls and cookie-cutter slums. Selling a new Deus Ex needs not just pretty graphics, but some stellar art design. What I've seen in the recent trailers is damn cool and they might just have gotten this aspect right. If the game has the same vibe of something like Stand Alone Complex or Blade Runner, they've hit the right mark.

2. Combat
Deus Ex is a game where the player will need to use different skill-sets to solve various problems. Lockpicking and bypassing security systems are important skills, but putting a bullet in between the eyes of a MIB or MJ-12 agent are vital to survival. The combat needs to be PERFECT in order for this game to work. The player character needs to be able to dispatch enemies without the jank that has ruined games in the same genera. Alpha Protocol was a promising title that was ruined by un-fun RPG mechanics (dice rolling for shooting), clunky combat and awful graphics. When I am forced to waste XP to make my firearms fucking usable, the game stops being fun. Mass Effect 2 nailed this aspect of action-role playing, with polished shooting mechanics, stellar control and a simplified leveling up system that just worked. They could just keep the augmentation canisters from the first game as experience points and I'd be happy.

3. No Final Fantasy/Metal Geal Solid Syndrome
I'm not a fan of Square-Enix. At all. Bloated cut scenes, wonky dialogue, stupid characters and excessive amounts of angst will destroy Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Keep the Final Fantasy Fail away from the finished product as much as possible.

Any other suggestions? It's been a while since I played the first (and unfortunately) second Deus Ex titles.

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Chyro

I have barely played the first Deus Ex but from what I remember your weapons were not 100% accurate right away.  You had to put skill points into your ability just like Alpha Protocol to increase your accuracy.  Is that right?  At least that's what I thought I remembered. 

From what I understand is that the reason the first is so loved, is because you had choice.  There was many ways that you could beat the missions.  Stealth, Rambo.  It needs to keep the choices.  I really got to play that game.

NegativeCreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NegativeCreep
@Chyro said:
" I have barely played the first Deus Ex but from what I remember your weapons were not 100% accurate right away.  You had to put skill points into your ability just like Alpha Protocol to increase your accuracy.  Is that right?  At least that's what I thought I remembered.   From what I understand is that the reason the first is so loved, is because you had choice.  There was many ways that you could beat the missions.  Stealth, Rambo.  It needs to keep the choices.  I really got to play that game. "
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of that part of the game. Didn't like the inventory system either.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Rowr
@NegativeCreep said:
"3. No Final Fantasy/Metal Geal Solid Syndrome I'm not a fan of Square-Enix. At all. Bloated cut scenes, wonky dialogue, stupid characters and excessive amounts of angst will destroy Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Keep the Final Fantasy Fail away from the finished product as much as possible."
o god. THIS.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#5  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Really?  More hate for Invisible War?  While I agree that the atmosphere of the first game was more interesting and less generic, I thought the gameplay of the second trounced the first in nearly every aspect.  I'd like to see the return of the skill points from the first game, but honestly, it's not a huge deal.  All it really needs to do is be as fun as the second to play, and I'm stoked.
NegativeCreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NegativeCreep
@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
" Really?  More hate for Invisible War?  While I agree that the atmosphere of the first game was more interesting and less generic, I thought the gameplay of the second trounced the first in nearly every aspect.  I'd like to see the return of the skill points from the first game, but honestly, it's not a huge deal.  All it really needs to do is be as fun as the second to play, and I'm stoked. "
*groan*

Invisible War did ditch the skill point system. That's the ONLY thing they did right. Why the fuck did I need a sniper rifle just to get a headshot on somebody at POINT BLANK range? Why did they take out all the cool factions and replaced them with Generic Boring Megacorp and Generic Boring Future Religion?
Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Crixaliz

Looks like they nailed the music aspect of the game, the music is the new trailer was awesome.
And atleast from the trailer the Atmosphere and Mood part seemed solid too

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#8  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
@NegativeCreep:
While I agree that at the beginning, the factions were definitely bland, they were pretty cookie cutter in the first game too.  MJ-12 was about as generic an organization as they get.  It was the writing around those organizations that solidified the first game, and I think as the second game progressed, the factions became more and more interesting.  The morality of Invisible War's choices didn't feel as cut and dry as the first did either.  

As far as the skill points, I liked the idea in principle, but yeah, I agree - it did make for some odd combat at times.  Still though, I think the theory is sound.  Just needs to be applied better.
Avatar image for themanwithnoname
TheManWithNoName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheManWithNoName

I think that you should start with a good ability to use weapons but in order to become especially lethal with them you should place points, 
 OR A realistic combat system like MW (on hardcore) would be good where you can only shoot as well as you can use the mouse, 
I loved the idea of skill points in the original though, FF getting near this game just might make me hurt someone...

Avatar image for garrickgreathouse
GarrickGreathouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't have Swimming at a stat and I'm cool with whatever they do.

TheManWithNoName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheManWithNoName

oh well, kinda getting disappointed, stat based weapon damage is retarded, accuracy is the only thing that affects damage besides the gun/ammunition and that is determined by skill. good conspiratorial storyline could fix this though.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By yinstarrunner

The stat-based aiming is out.  It's going to be more like Mass Effect 2.

I doubt  Square-Enix will have their grimy fingers all over it.  

For more information on the combat and general gameplay, read this FAQ from Eidos:
 http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=86841

"In DX:HR, stats have been removed from the act of shooting and instead relies on your ability to target with your mouse and keyboard."

Avatar image for garrickgreathouse
GarrickGreathouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheManWithNoName: 

But did you ever play Morrorwind? There's nothing worse that watching an arrow hit an enemy dead center mass, but not doing any damage. I know it's dumb, but I'd rather accuracy be player skill based and damage be stat based.
TheManWithNoName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheManWithNoName

You misinterpreted what I said, 
I meant that your skill level should change accuracy not damage, if you hit in between the eyes with no skill points it should be just as deadly as a pro shooting at the identical spot. 
Also, I'm sick of when you light up the sights perfectly and the bullet misses by 70 degrees, low skill should make the gun sway more, have more recoil etc. Damage should be determined by where the bullet hits and what bullet it is.

Fluxxed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fluxxed

How to make Deus Ex: Human Revolution not suck. 
Don't listen to the fans.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By OmegaPirate

Im fairly sure i remember that the only thing Enix were doing was the CGI cutscenes and had no actual input on the game mechanics or core