How would you describe that "feeling" you get from playing games?

Popskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Popskinz

This is a question that has stalked and perplexed me since the day i became interested in video games. 
Because feel free me to stop me if any of this doesn't sound familiar--You're playing a game, most likely a new one and then you get to that point when you get that little shiver down your spine, when you know you're experiencing something truly special, a feeling that only video games can evoke. But how exactly would you describe that moment? Some call it the "tingle" or the feeling of "elevation".

I still can't put my finger on how to describe it. And it's a little shiver i rarely get nowadays from games. How would you describe it?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

I don't know exactly what you're describing; perhaps you're talking about flow? Maybe?

Popskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Popskinz
@BeachThunder

Yeah, that describes it pretty well.
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Erotic.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MysteriousBob

Erotic.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By PillClinton

kinda tingly down in my junk

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Erotic.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By CaptainObvious

Erotic.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Animasta

that feeling, you can only say what it is in french

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BestUsernameEver
@100_Hertz said:
kinda tingly down in my junk
Kinda junk down in my tinglies. 
mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mnzy

Hungry after a while.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By matoya

Obligation

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Seedofpower
@spurious said:

I do know exactly what you're describing (no it isn't eroticism, you baboons)
A joke is what they were referring to.
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By foggel
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@mnzy said:
Hungry after a while.
ya
Popskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Popskinz
@spurious said:

I do know exactly what you're describing (no it isn't eroticism, you baboons) but unfortunately, I have not yet looked into the physical, internal reasons for its happening (dopamine? I really have no idea). So, I've got nothing there. I can only describe it as...definitely not an experience that only arises through the enjoyment of video games.

Funny that Roger Ebert was the first I know of to call it "elevation." His "Great Movies" list is full of films that gave him the same sensation as you get when you play new, exciting video games. Maybe his insistence that video games are not an artform would be bent by learning that elevation, the heart and soul of his appreciation for film, can happen through games.  Probably not.

Personally, I come across it most when moved by a film, or music, or something that I see in the world (simply because these are things I am most exposed to). But the reason for the feeling is within myself. I don't know what this will read like but, if my thoughts are not actively flowing and shifting along with, according to, because of the external phenomena (film, music, real stuff) I'm experiencing through the senses (sight&sound, sometmes touch, like with water, especially rain/shower, but that's also sound), I will likely not get the feeling, the shiver, the elevation. It occurs most often only after parts of my thinking mind are activated in some inspired, extraordinary way, whether through linking the phenomena to some internal, grand concept, or something else. Hearing rain, being outside, feeling and smelling what it does to the earth and the air, is just an automatic trigger for me (actually, there's a level in Donkey Kong 64, the floating castle near the end, that opens to rain, and eventually a steamy water drainage pipe pouring out into a small pond. Even that has always given me the feeling. Favorite part of the game.) So, I guess the take away is that the feeling is not solely a video game thing, but a universally human sensation that can be triggered in a variety of ways. The trick is getting in the state, being exposed to the types of phenomena and thought that trigger it. I suspect people have gone entire lives without feeling it, because of the kind of life they lived. That's partly why the thought of making something like a film or a game that could trigger such a thing and be an inspiration ("to live better and to love more" in the decades old words of Terrence Malick) is exciting to me. 

That's quite the description you got there, mate! The thing is, that little shiver i get is what i think makes video games so compelling as a medium. It isn't just a from of escapism, it's an entire experience that you'll likely reflect about for a long, long time to come. I remember fondly some of those initimate moments i've had with games, with one example being the first time i played Halo: Combat Evolved and i got to the part where you're fighting alongside marines in the mission Truth and Reconciliation and the eerie soundtrack and visual spectacle that ensued on-screen caused a shiver to be sent through my senses, and that was when i knew that Halo was something truly special. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is also a good example. The ending of that flashback mission in Chernobyl where you are escaping on a helicopter, watching the landscape zoom by and you see the burning hotel you rappeled out of just minutes ago--it's those moments that causes me to get that "elevation" feeling, but for some reason it's not happening to me much anymore, why i dont know (maybe i have experienced it so many times that i can no longer cause it to happen or something weird like that).
Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Discorsi

Huffing paint thinner

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sin4profit

arousal. 

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By WickedCestus

It feels kind of like drugs.

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By just_nonplussed
@Popskinz

where on your spine do you feel it? because all of our emotions and feelings happen at specific places along the spine. for example, feelings of joy and ecstasy emanate near the little bone right at the end of the spine from where animals grow tails. feelings of love, sorrow and ambition happen around the heart area at the back and front of the spine. feelings of power and awe happen near the gut/stomach.

go here for more information.

video games are very efficient at manipulating our heart center, where we have much of our ambition. they're also great at creating sensations of joy.
Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By just_nonplussed
@LordXavierBritish

how many games make you feel erotic?
Popskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Popskinz
@just_nonplussed said:
@Popskinz

where on your spine do you feel it? because all of our emotions and feelings happen at specific places along the spine. for example, feelings of joy and ecstasy emanate near the little bone right at the end of the spine from where animals grow tails. feelings of love, sorrow and ambition happen around the heart area at the back and front of the spine. feelings of power and awe happen near the gut/stomach.

go here for more information. video games are very efficient at manipulating our heart center, where we have much of our ambition. they're also great at creating sensations of joy.

I can't really say exactly where on my spine i feel this (especially since it's been a while) but it feels like my brain is causing like a shimmer of joy that sips through my whole body. It's a really intimate feeling that you have to experience for yourself to fully believe ;-)
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Example1013

Erotic. 

Dammit, I'm late to the party.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Kjellm87

I dunno, it is a good feeling, specially when I have to work hard to achieve the goal. 

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By phish09

Citore ;)

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#26  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Well I get a lot of different feelings from playing games but like BeachThunder I think you're probably referring to flow state.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iam3green

i feel good man.