• 77 results
hondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hondorondo

Achievements are a pretty nice idea, cause everyone like to be challenged.
But what I dont understand is the achievement 360 overall score or steam overall score(dont know if steam has an overall score although Im using steam alot... see how little I care for it ?)...

People ask questions about if a game has GFWL or Steam achievements cause they are afraid that the points wont get added to their 360 overall points.

Do you get any awesome rewards for having alot points or why are people so eager to get a high achievement score? Are these little pre-teens who wanna show off with their 360 score or am I missing something crucial about the awesomeness of achievements?

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By WickedCestus

Numbers going up pushes people's happy button.  
Seeing their number is bigger than someone else's pushes people's happy button. 
That's about it. And I love achievements.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By CowMuffins

I don't see the point in buying a game only for the points, but I don't see them as a bad thing. They add more value to the game if you ask me.

hondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hondorondo
@supermike6 said:
" Numbers going up pushes people's happy button.  Seeing their number is bigger than someone else's pushes people's happy button. That's about it. And I love achievements. "

But why? Are there any rewards for having high numbers or why is it happy making to have a high number? 
So if there arent any rewards the numbers basically mean how much you spend on your gaming hobby and so people like knowing that they spend a lot of money/time on/with games?
I mean Im not saying its bad to play a lot of games or own every game that gets released but why do I need to have a number that resembles this doing? 
Im confused.
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Cerza

I hear ya. I don't get it either.

hondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hondorondo
@CowMuffins said:
" I don't see the point in buying a game only for the points, but I don't see them as a bad thing. They add more value to the game if you ask me. "
I admit that more challenges( = achievements) add more value to the game but why do these points add more value TO THE GAME? oO 
Im not complaining about the challenges.. challenges are fun.. but I dont get the points :(
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@hondorondo: It's the illusion of achieving something.  You're glad when you get great scores at your exams, right?   Well, it's practically the same situation, except there are no real results to the points one achieves.  They just get glad when they see their overall score grow.  And you can't honestly tell me you're not a little bit giddy every time you see the "achievement unlocked" sign pop up.  It's just that some people will take it so seriously that they'll play video games practically only to augment their score. 

And honestly, that's fine.  To each his own: you shouldn't have a problem with where other people derive their amusement from.  If they need to constantly accumulate Gamer Score, ignoring all the games that don't contribute to their achievements, to have fun, then so be it.
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I think it's just the feeling of Achievement. It makes the games re-playable to see your score rising, and when you S-Rank a game you actually feel great. :)

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By themangalist
@supermike6 said:

" Numbers going up pushes people's happy button.  Seeing their number is bigger than someone else's pushes people's happy button. That's about it. And I love achievements. "

on the contrary, having a job and loads of work makes me NOT want to waste time getting some stupid "kill 1000 bear babies" achievement my other friend has.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iam3green

it's just pretty much saying my E-penis is bigger than yours. i don't get achievements either. i get them but still.

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By allprox

I like looking back at all the games that I played and how well I did with them. My PS3 died a while back and I lost all the save data I had on it but I still had the trophies because they're stored online. Achievements are a good way of solidifying your progress through games.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nail1080

What I don't get is people who say they don't really care about achievements making threads about them....

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CowMuffins
@themangalist said:
" @supermike6 said:

on the contrary, having a job and loads of work makes me NOT want to waste time getting some stupid "kill 1000 bear babies" achievement my other friend has. "
Your friends has an achievement for killing bear babies? What game is this?
hondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hondorondo
@FluxWaveZ:  Im not in the position of being happy about great scores at exams but I could understand the motive of someone who is actually glad about these scores. Thats cause your future career/education depends on your final grades. At least in the majoriety of careers I guess... Im not in that system so I dont care and dont think its entertaining or something I wanna depend on.

Maybe you have to be a "I wanna get rich and famous and blablabla" human being to be able to enjoy the achievement point system. 
tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tranquilchaos

It is apparent that the people who don't "get achievements" were likely born later than the ones who do. Likely, they've never played arcade games in an arcade setting. What was the point of having the highest Pac-Man score? What was the point of being the best Street Fighter 2 player and having your initials on the top list? 

The point is fun. Achievements have taken the old arcade concept of having a tangible score to the next level. If someone thinks it is enjoyable to have an overarching metascore for their gaming life, why do you feel the need to shit on it? I myself have a hard time picking out PS3 games to buy because I will get no points and trophies are a half ass attempt at what MS did right. Why do I even care? I like the points and think they make gaming even more fun. They give an enjoyable medium new possibilities. When I finish a game, there is replay value in achievements. How does my gamerscore affect your life?  

Obviously it does not.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By WickedCestus
@hondorondo said:
" @supermike6 said:
 But why? Are there any rewards for having high numbers or why is it happy making to have a high number?  So if there arent any rewards the numbers basically mean how much you spend on your gaming hobby and so people like knowing that they spend a lot of money/time on/with games? I mean Im not saying its bad to play a lot of games or own every game that gets released but why do I need to have a number that resembles this doing?  Im confused. "
You're thinking too much. It's just for fun. 
hondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hondorondo
@nail1080 said:
" What I don't get is people who say they don't really care about achievements making threads about them.... "
Like I already said 2 times.. Im not complaining about the actual achievements, the challenges. Im just asking if Im something missing about the usage of these overall scores or if its really just a useless number that gets higher. 
I could understand the longing for a high number if you could exchange them for games etc. but just a score for having a score doesnt seem very happy making to me. At least I now know that there is nothing to get and that Im not missing a real meaning to the points.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@hondorondo said:
" @FluxWaveZ:  Maybe you have to be a "I wanna get rich and famous and blablabla" human being to be able to enjoy the achievement point system.  "
Um... no.  I think you just have to be a human being who wants to strive for something.
hondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hondorondo
@tranquilchaos said:
" It is apparent that the people who don't "get achievements" were likely born later than the ones who do. Likely, they've never played arcade games in an arcade setting. What was the point of having the highest Pac-Man score? What was the point of being the best Street Fighter 2 player and having your initials on the top list?  The point is fun. Achievements have taken the old arcade concept of having a tangible score to the next level. If someone thinks it is enjoyable to have an overarching metascore for their gaming life, why do you feel the need to shit on it? I myself have a hard time picking out PS3 games to buy because I will get no points and trophies are a half ass attempt at what MS did right. Why do I even care? I like the points and think they make gaming even more fun. They give an enjoyable medium new possibilities. When I finish a game, there is replay value in achievements. How does my gamerscore affect your life?   Obviously it does not. "

But the achievements doesnt reflect the actual skill of the player.. having the highest pac-man score says that you have awesome pac-man skills.. but having millions of xbox 360 achievements just say that you are spending a lot on games.  
Its like gathering all the nuts in the forest (xbox overall points) dont say that you are the best nut opener.  
Maybe its the same thing as collecting useless stuff... like stamps... never understood this either.
hondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hondorondo
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @hondorondo said:
" @FluxWaveZ:  Maybe you have to be a "I wanna get rich and famous and blablabla" human being to be able to enjoy the achievement point system.  "
Um... no.  I think you just have to be a human being who wants to strive for something. "
Yes, the same thing. Never understood this either.
OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By OllyOxenFree

After arguing and debating on these forums about Achievements/Trophies I have come to a conclusion-

Just play games how you have always had.  If you see other people playing games that baffle you (such as playing Ice Age 3 or Hanah Montana just for the points/trophies) then that is just their way of having "fun".  If they have enough time in their life to spend it on increasing their e-penis then more power to them.

You just keep on doing what you are doing and don't worry about them.  Maybe later in their life they will look back and see that they might have been a fool for spending that much time on hunting down achievement/trophies.

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tranquilchaos
@hondorondo said: 
  But the achievements doesnt reflect the actual skill of the player.. having the highest pac-man score says that you have awesome pac-man skills.. but having millions of xbox 360 achievements just say that you are spending a lot on games.   Its like gathering all the nuts in the forest (xbox overall points) dont say that you are the best nut opener.   Maybe its the same thing as collecting useless stuff... like stamps... never understood this either. "
Yes and no. Right and wrong. Some achievements are quite difficult. Collecting easy ones (a la the avatar game) is even lame to me. Mostly the competition in the case of achievements is more with yourself. "Can I do this?" It gives you a reason to play a game in a way you ordinarily wouldn't have sometimes. 
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By ch13696

I just like the sound. For the trophies and achievements. But seriously, real gamers can do without it. Maybe it's something to prove to the next chic they meet. 

Avatar image for infinitestatemachine
InfiniteStateMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate to admit that on the games I'm more competitive on, I care about the trophys. Mainly SF4, Pixeljunk Monsters and Demons Souls.

hondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hondorondo
@tranquilchaos said:
" @hondorondo said: 
  But the achievements doesnt reflect the actual skill of the player.. having the highest pac-man score says that you have awesome pac-man skills.. but having millions of xbox 360 achievements just say that you are spending a lot on games.   Its like gathering all the nuts in the forest (xbox overall points) dont say that you are the best nut opener.   Maybe its the same thing as collecting useless stuff... like stamps... never understood this either. "
Yes and no. Right and wrong. Some achievements are quite difficult. Collecting easy ones (a la the avatar game) is even lame to me. Mostly the competition in the case of achievements is more with yourself. "Can I do this?" It gives you a reason to play a game in a way you ordinarily wouldn't have sometimes.  "

But the actual challenge has nothing to do with the overall score... Like I said.. I understand if you have a purpose and then are trying to hunt down it till you finished it and can move on to the next one. But what I dont understand is to collect points without any purpose.. Is there a overall xbox live achievement system where you unlock things with higher scores ?

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Chuggsy

No, there's no reward for getting more achievement points.  Nothing to unlock or anything. 

Look, you're over thinking it. It's just fun to get more points. There doesn't have to be a real reward. For some people it's a fun way to say "look how many games I've played", for others it's just a score that's fun to make go up. It's about as simple as it gets.

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tranquilchaos
@hondorondo said:
" @tranquilchaos said:
" @hondorondo said: 
Yes and no. Right and wrong. Some achievements are quite difficult. Collecting easy ones (a la the avatar game) is even lame to me. Mostly the competition in the case of achievements is more with yourself. "Can I do this?" It gives you a reason to play a game in a way you ordinarily wouldn't have sometimes.  "
  But the actual challenge has nothing to do with the overall score... Like I said.. I understand if you have a purpose and then are trying to hunt down it till you finished it and can move on to the next one. But what I dont understand is to collect points without any purpose.. Is there a overall xbox live achievement system where you unlock things with higher scores ?   "
You aren't listening. Also you seem to have some sort of psychological issue.  

Just get over it.
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Absurd
@hondorondo: Don't look into it so much.
hondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By hondorondo
@tranquilchaos: psychological issue? Compared to whom?

Okay now I know that there is no purpose to the score and I now know that I understood that system right... thanks for the help!
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By trophyhunter
@nail1080 said:
" What I don't get is people who say they don't really care about achievements making threads about them.... "
^this and if you don't understand them you are most certainly missing something and that thing is a soul
floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By floodiastus

I dont get them either, at first I thought achievement points on 360 was the same as MS points and it made alot of sense, being able to buy stuff from XBLA with your points you earned for completeing everything in games you bought, but when I found out they are used for nothing that logic became flawed. 

I mean points are not even used for anything in games either. Say if you had high points you might get some bonus costume in some game or something, that I could understand.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Icil
@hondorondo said:
"Okay now I know that there is no purpose to the score and I now know that I understood that system right... thanks for the help! "
I don't think you're listening. When you unlock achievements, you unlock achievements.

That's the purpose. The achievement system seems superficial, sure, but then again so much of everything else is, too. Why do you play video games? Does beating a video game get you a special coupon in the mail? No? Then video games are useless, right?
CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CandleJakk

Tranquilchaos is right, hammering one button for 20 seconds to get 1000G on Avatar sucks. Working hard and putting effort into getting all 1250 points in Crackdown, or getting a Platinum trophy in Demon's Souls takes skill, time, effort and more, some are rewarding to achieve, others are e-peen fulfilling and most just pop up as you play. That's all there is to it.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PillClinton

When you get every achievement in a game, it gives you a sense of accomplishment and completion.  It lets you say to yourself, "Yeah.  I goddamn finished the shit out of this game.  I met every challenge that was thrown at me and now i can happily retire this game to my collection shelf."

hondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hondorondo
@Icil said:
" @hondorondo said:
"Okay now I know that there is no purpose to the score and I now know that I understood that system right... thanks for the help! "
I don't think you're listening. When you unlock achievements, you unlock achievements.

That's the purpose. The achievement system seems superficial, sure, but then again so much of everything else is, too. Why do you play video games? Does beating a video game get you a special coupon in the mail? No? Then video games are useless, right? "

You dont get it.... I play videogames cause the are entertaining and beautiful. I do get the purpose of an achievement/challenge... to beat it/unlock it.  I said that several times but what I dont get is the purpose of COLLECTING POINTS WHICH DO NOTHING AT ALL. :P
It seems these points make some people happy and create so a purpose. So maybe I just not able to get any happiness out of it and so dont have any purpose in collecting these points.

@floodiastus: 
I too thought for a long time that MS points and achievement points are somewhat interchangeable... would have explained the point of it.@100_Hertz said:
" When you get every achievement in a game, it gives you a sense of accomplishment and completion.  It lets you say to yourself, "Yeah.  I goddamn finished the shit out of this game.  I met every challenge that was thrown at me and now i can happily retire this game to my collection shelf." "
Here you are talking just about the achievements by itself and like I already said... I understand what makes a challenge interesting.
 But you are not explaining the collection of a random sum of points called xbox 360 achievement points.
CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CandleJakk
@hondorondo said:
" @100_Hertz said:
" When you get every achievement in a game, it gives you a sense of accomplishment and completion.  It lets you say to yourself, "Yeah.  I goddamn finished the shit out of this game.  I met every challenge that was thrown at me and now i can happily retire this game to my collection shelf." "
Here you are talking just about the achievements by itself and like I already said... I understand what makes a challenge interesting.  But you are not explaining the collection of a random sum of points called xbox 360 achievement points. "
Okay, I get you a bit clearer now. The point of having them all there, is so that if someone asks you have proof of your accomplishment.

It's like if you asked me if I'd BASE jumped from the top of the Statue of Liberty, you'd want some proof if I said 'Yes'. Okay, it's an extreme comparison, but it's equally valid.
Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Icil
@hondorondo: Okay, I get your point (and I agree).

I guess gamerscore is like having all of your 'high scores' added together, sort of. By that token, I agree that gamerscore is a pretty useless number. Achievements, though, are pretty meaningful and when games integrate them in interesting ways (the best example I can come up with is TrialsHD), they get more weight.

But sure, gamerscore just tells me how much that particular person spends on video games.
PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PillClinton
@hondorondo said:

@100_Hertz said:

Here you are talking just about the achievements by itself and like I already said... I understand what makes a challenge interesting.  But you are not explaining the collection of a random sum of points called xbox 360 achievement points. "
Well I don't fucking know, man.  Why are you so desperately concerned about this anyway?  They're just achievements: a point gathering system designed by evil Microsoft for the sole purpose of exploiting primal tendencies in man (i.e. greed and envy) so as to get people to play their games with more desperation, and thus, for a longer period of time.  Why do you think DLC sells so well?  Besides the obvious fact of people just wanting more content for their favorite games, people hate losing their s-ranks.  So they buy DLC to restore it so their precious 100% completion remains intact.  You know why?  Because of vague and difficult-to-diagnose primal tendencies that exist within all of us.
Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Supermarius
@hondorondo:  gamerscore is a form of score that persists across games. People have been playing games for score ever since the earliest days of arcades. High scores are their own reward and for alot of older games they were the only metric you could use to compare your relative gamer skill to others. Play some Geometry wars or Chime and i think you will get it, that highscore itch. Or maybe some gameroom games.
Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Daryl

Getting to the end of a game is enough sense of achievement to satisfy me. 

hondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By hondorondo
@Supermarius: again.. you are comparing highscores with the achievements itself... but not with the useless overall point system.
You are missing my point. Im not saying achievements are bad.. no they are good and I understand why people like them.
My questions are about the attraction of the overall point system, which have absolutly nothing to do with your skills.
Individual achievements do sometimes relate to skill.. but a random sum of all the games you played doesnt tell me anything about your skills at games..
nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By nail1080

Oh yeah one more thing I'd like to add to this thread.... how sweet does it feel when you S rank one of your fav. games!!!! very sweet!

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By trophyhunter
@nail1080 said:
" Oh yeah one more thing I'd like to add to this thread.... how sweet does it feel when you S rank one of your fav. games!!!! very sweet! "
very sweet!!
sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By sopranosfan

Why having the biggest achievement score is important is the same as to why some people want the fastest car or to jump the highest or really anything else that drives people.  I see people running in a competition and think to myself that is the dumbest thing anybody could ever do with their time but thousands of people do it all the time.   I guarantee whatever you enjoy doing there are people somewhere that think it is stupid to care about it but as long as you enjoy it then there is nothing wrong with it.

hondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By hondorondo
@sopranosfan said:

" Why having the biggest achievement score is important is the same as to why some people want the fastest car or to jump the highest or really anything else that drives people.  I see people running in a competition and think to myself that is the dumbest thing anybody could ever do with their time but thousands of people do it all the time.   I guarantee whatever you enjoy doing there are people somewhere that think it is stupid to care about it but as long as you enjoy it then there is nothing wrong with it. "

Yes but if you have a fast car you can drive super fast and have fun with it..... and if you jump the highest you are have incredible skills in jumping high.
And skills are generally beautiful to watch at cause its fulfilling to see someone else doing a activitiy which he truely loves.
The thing is that the XBL score seems to be just random and meaningless (meaningless cause it hasnt any relation to your skills or any other characteristics of your individuality... other than "this person bought a lot of games" or "this person likes games a lot")

It looks like a childish attempt to get any attention instead of just enjoying the game and then get the attention cause its so wonderful to watch how much you enjoy the game.,
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jimbo
@tranquilchaos said:
" It is apparent that the people who don't "get achievements" were likely born later than the ones who do. Likely, they've never played arcade games in an arcade setting. What was the point of having the highest Pac-Man score?"
Having the highest score on Pac-Man implies a higher level of skill than your peers -  a high Gamerscore doesn't.  That's the difference.

I pretty much agree with the OP.  Comparing achievement for achievement has some merit, so long as they require some level of skill to achieve, but the overall score itself is pointless because it doesn't say anything other than how much free time you have, and how much of it you are prepared to spend completing menial tasks in return for a meaningless reward.  

Ironically, I think the people hacking the shit out of the system probably have more to brag about with their overall 'achievement' score than those who are acquiring it legitimately.
Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47  Edited By Kibblez

The same reason someone would complete a game 100%, because they like having the number there to represent what they've done.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By TheHT

It's the same reason you used to feel good when you used to get stickers on assignments you did well on in elementary school. Utterly useless but still coveted and proud of how awesome you are.

Note: high achievement scores does not accurately represent how awesome you are, and in many cases shows just how lame you are.

hondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By hondorondo
@TheHT said:
" It's the same reason you used to feel good when you used to get stickers on assignments you did well on in elementary school. Utterly useless but still coveted and proud of how awesome you are.  Note: high achievement scores does not accurately represent how awesome you are, and in many cases shows just how lame you are. "

Stickers on assignments have a relation to how awesome your skills are...
gamerscores dont.
Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie
@nail1080 said:
Ding Ding Ding... Absolutely correct, we have a winner!!!