I love you/I hate you (site feedback)

uvschism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uvschism

EDIT: No longer an issue. Thank you bomb devs, great job with the redesign!

########################

I love Giant Bomb. I started following in the Arrow Pointing Down phase, and have kept to it ever since. I made everyone at my work watch the Postal episode of TANG. I listen to the bombcast any time I'm doing chores like doing dishes, which means I've probably been through the ENTIRE SUCCESSION of YEARS of episodes 5 or 6 times. I hope I've established that what I'm about to say comes from a place of genuine caring, respect, and deep affection. That said...

THE NAVIGATION FOR THE VIDEO ARCHIVE IS FUCKING GARBAGE.

(I love you so much, GB, why do you make me hurt you?)

Seriously, if I want to watch something that's like a series from a while ago, something that contains more than one episode or installment, its such a headache to go through. The relevant example today is the 09 PAX panel, something I never saw, but thought I'd like to brush up on before some of the PAX East content comes out. First off, my "tour legit tour quit" search came up empty, a serious bummer. But whatevs, maybe it wasn't tagged that way. So I search for PAX (I'm using the video search, btw, not the global search), and PAX 09 does come up at the bottom of the list. Super!

So, I watch, liking it, actually really thought Vinny's talking about their approach to video was insightful (I'm a video dude myself). Part 1 ends. Related videos come up at the end... but no sight of the other episodes, just the recent vids, Mortal Kombat and stuff. Well, okay, I'll just hit back. Oh, shit, right, I didn't hit any kind of search landing page when I searched for PAX, so I'm just on the main video page. Dag, well, I'll just repeat my search. "PAX", okay, there's Part 1, the last of the ten results. Maybe if I hit "Enter" it'll bring me to a landing page and list everything my search brought up? Nope, it instead takes me to the first result listed... or wait, no, it's not actually the first result, its the sixth result. Weird, well, whatever, I know what to do. I'll search "PAX" again, and hit "see next 10 results". Since Part 01 was was the last thing listed, surely Part 02 will be the next...

But it isn't. It's not even in those next ten. It's in the next next ten, and not even next to Part 03. Grrr..

So yeah, that's not great. I see two ways to maybe address this. Either create a way to tag multiple episodes in a series, which would allow you to navigate between directly connected videos (good idea! i like it). Or, minimize some of the problems of search by allowing for a search results page, and not just a dropdown menu showing 10 items. I mean, we all like long pages right? How about long pages of search results? Those are page-types too...

--------

erm, since I'm bitching anyway, here's another related problem with video navigation. If you're watching older stuff (and I mean old enough to be past the front video page, here), and want to watch a couple of episodes of, say, How to Build a Bomb, or TANG, it really, really sucks to find the video you're looking for on like Page 10 of Features, watch it, and then to see the next one have to click through all those "Next Page" links to get back to the period in time you were to see the next video (or a related one, or something around the same timeframe again). You can't just hit "Back" after you've finished the video to return to the page in the archive that you were at to find the video to begin with.

This might be addressed by my suggestion above, like if there was an on-page click-through for the next episode of TANG, then great, I'm watching the next one. And also, I realize that most of the traffic for the site isn't people coming to check out the QOTW for August 09. But I have to imagine that many people come across this at some point, and I've been driven up the wall by it.

Thanks for taking this into consideration.

Sincerely, your friend, Rob,

--------

and dracula is totally still a threat

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Kyreo
@uvschism said:

"
It is pretty bad...
Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Puchiko

I have to agree with the OP, trying to watch a series of videos is real chore because once you're done watching the video you have to browse all the way back in many sub-menus if you are watching something that isn't recent.  Please fix Top Men!

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Akeldama
@Kyreo said:
" @uvschism said:

"
It is pretty bad... "
RudeJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RudeJohn

There's a simple reason for this, GB is farming hits. It artificially inflates their stats. Which may be cheesy, but we're all here as their guests so I don't begrudge them a little stat pumping. 

It may also be a result of  security concerns. They seem to run a pretty tight ship, which is a good thing because it keeps them up and running so that you and I can enjoy what they offer. Again, I don't begrudge them a little inconvenience if it helps protect their hardware. Malicious hackers are assholes.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By snide

First, lemme remind subscribers you've got Theater mode, which lets you skip page loads altogether and lets you queue up a playlist. As you guessed, legacy content (especially content not linked to an actual game) is viewed extremely minimally. 

Not saying their aren't things to improve here, but this post is a little alarmist. Just search "pax part" and all of um show up. Queue them  in theater mode and sit back for an hour.

uvschism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By uvschism

@snide: 

Thanks for the response, Dave.  I didn't realize Theater had the queue up functionality.  That mostly resolves my issue, or at least gives me a way to sidestep both of the problems I had with the search and nav.  Guess I'll just have to tag anything broken up into multiple vids with "part" in the search... I can do that, if I remember.  

I'm guessing these problems still exist for non-subscribers who don't get theater mode?  That's a bummer.  Sorry guys. 

I feel I raised a level of alarm appropriate to the problem.  Legitimate dismay that built up into open hostility towards the problem, that's about where I'm at (or was).  But always couched in love.

@RudeJohn 

I really, really don't think its about farming hits.  I think its a design decision that was made before there was any kind of archive for video to speak of.  Now that archive exists, but since the traffic is such a small part of the user experience, it hasn't made sense to go in and fix it.  Except that its a BIG part of this user's experience, a paid user, and maybe that's what the Theater mode is trying to address.  That kind of access functionality for legacy content would probably skew towards serving a financially committed user a bit more, because they have proven to be willing to pay to support the content this site produces.  Seems like they'd end up watching more of it, even long after the fact.  Or something, but it makes sense to me. 

I'm not sure if security factors into this, unless I need to be kept out of the Endurance Run for security reasons.

Still, it sucks that for the general population things work in this wholly-maddening state.  Which is why I spoke up at all, to try and get some eyes on this super frustrating corner of the site.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By beej
@RudeJohn: I thought it was a piece of their design philosophy to not hit farm. 
cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By cornbredx
@snide said:
" First, lemme remind subscribers you've got Theater mode...
My only problem with theater mode is it only works in chrome (and safari I believe). I have to use IE for work (dont ask, ugh) and I use firefox for my browsing pleasure (I work from home so I have one monitor for work while I work, the other for whatever else). I dont want to switch to another browser just to use the theatre mode. Is there no way to get this working in firefox?

I agree with the archive problem, and I think (at least minimally) you do too. I am fine with the theater mode, I just think it's a shame I have to have a specific browser to use it.

I apologize if this is coming off as whiny, I am really just genuinely curious.
oysteinBrenne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oysteinBrenne

the worst thing about the site is the fucking  video player its so bad

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By tebbit
@oysteinBrenne said:
" the worst thing about the site is the fucking  video player its so bad "
I like the video player ;(
moomoomashoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By moomoomashoo

I just don't like how it doesn't work properly on the PS3 browser...

Luckily for me I can watch the recent videos. And that's just about it without a MAJOR headache.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#13  Edited By LordAndrew
@snide: If the solution to the problem is "become a subscriber", that's not much of a solution at all. Many viewers will not have accounts, much less subscriptions. Legacy content doesn't get many views, but surely it would get more if it was easier to find. I remember a time when few people used Anime Vice's crowd moderation tool, because it wasn't linked from the site interface! Of course few people are going to use something they can't find.
RudeJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RudeJohn
@beej said:
" @RudeJohn: I thought it was a piece of their design philosophy to not hit farm.  "
I'm not trying to piss anyone off. What they do is their business. But seriously, do you believe EVERYTHING other people tell you? C'mon, bro. Wake up. 

And that's all I care to say. I'm just here to have fun. Good, clean, non-confrontational fun. 

Period. 

PS: If you have firefox 4.0 rc, you can scan a bunch of links one at a time and open each one in its own tab. To watch several ep's of ER, I open several links/tabs and then just go through the tabs. The new firefox 4.0 release candidate also has an excellent tab group function. If you haven't dl'ed it yet, I highly recommend it.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LordAndrew

I wouldn't call it "hit farming" so much as making sure people can find what they're looking for.

@CornBREDX said:

" @snide said:
" First, lemme remind subscribers you've got Theater mode...
My only problem with theater mode is it only works in chrome (and safari I believe). "
Then don't update Chrome if you want to continue using the Theater. Chrome has dropped H.264 support. The only major desktop web browsers that support H.264 right now Internet Explorer and Safari. So yeah, what I'm saying is that Theater mode is awesome.
cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By cornbredx
@LordAndrew:  Does it need IE9? It doesn't work in IE8 so thats what I'm guessing. If it does I will use IE9 for that then. I dont use chrome, I just use Firefox and IE and I don't want to get another browser just to use the theater mode for giant bomb haha.
Thanks though- if that's true I can use it on my IE (the error when i try to pull it in firefox and IE8 says it only works in chrome and safari)
 =)

@RudeJohn:  Ya thats what I do as well. Its not really efficient that way, and uses up a bit more resources but ya. I have been doing that. =)
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LordAndrew
@CornBREDX: I don't know if it will work in IE9. I haven't tested it at all. All I know is that Internet Explorer finally supports HTML5 video, and that H.264 is the only format it supports.
rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator
@snide said:
" First, lemme remind subscribers you've got Theater mode, which lets you skip page loads altogether and lets you queue up a playlist. As you guessed, legacy content (especially content not linked to an actual game) is viewed extremely minimally.  Not saying their aren't things to improve here, but this post is a little alarmist. Just search "pax part" and all of um show up. Queue them  in theater mode and sit back for an hour. "
This sounds very damn tempting! Theater mode is the only thing thats nearly pushing me over the edge, I just wish I had better internet... Stupid halls >.>
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By X19
@uvschism said:
"THE NAVIGATION FOR THE VIDEO ARCHIVE IS FUCKING GARBAGE."
Couldn't agree more. For a website that's mainly video focused I don't understand why the video archive isn't a higher priorty on WM's list. 
PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By PenguinNerd
@oysteinBrenne said:
" the worst thing about the site is the fucking  video player its so bad "
They have one of the best video players of any site I go to. It ACTUALLY works consistently unlike when I try watching something off Gametrailers, IGN etc. which play half the video then decide to stop or cut the sound from me.
uvschism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By uvschism

Yeah, no complaints with the video player itself from my end.  It works how I'd want it to.

uvschism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By uvschism

Just an update, the new redesign has pretty much fixed everything I was talking about. I really appreciate that video navigation was given a good hard look, because it's my most-used part of the site. And I like the way it works now, you guys seem to have nailed it.

Thanks.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dillonwerner

I don't like the auto-play thing they have on the videos

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ragdrazi
@DillonWerner: I assume by auto-play you mean the playlisting? Where it goes to the next video page whether you were done with the one you were on or not?
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By wrighteous86

@DillonWerner said:

I don't like the auto-play thing they have on the videos

Click the "auto" button next to the video, and it won't start playing another video on its own. It will remember this setting from then on. Was so pleased when I finally noticed that.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dillonwerner
@Ragdrazi: Yes 
@Wrighteous86: HOLY SHIT, thank you. I feel retarded for not seeing that though
uvschism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By uvschism

I do have one question... I seem to have lost the ability to truly fullscreen, not just fullscreen within a browser window, to the size of the browser window. Am I overlooking something?

EDIT: Ah, I was in HTML5. Didn't realize. Disregard.