• 71 results
nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By nickux

From Kara Swisher's news post on All Things Digital..  

"IGN Entertainment, the online gaming content site and largely offline games retailer GameStop are integrating their online media and retail offerings, in an effort to target video gamers from discovery to purchase.
The partnership is an unusual effort, given content and retail are not often so explicitly combined.
As part of the deal, said the companies:
* IGN will be creating branded media advertising products on GameStop.com, and will its sales representative online. Consumer advertisers will be able to buy branded ads on the retail site.
* IGN content will appear on GameStop.com, with all kinds of cross-linking, and there will be copious buttons for e-commerce on IGN.com
* GameStop will be buying its ads on IGN.com.
* The traffic of both GameStop and IGN will be combined. Currently, GameStop has 7.2 million monthly uniques worldwide and IGN’s video game content has 28.9 million.

IGN, which is profitable, has been pushing hard to grow its branded advertising recently, as well as its traffic.
And, over the summer, it introduced IGN Social, adding social elements, such as gamers talking with each other, to its content offerings." 

To me this all feels a little strange. I don't always love the idea of every company merging with one another.  Overall, it just makes me happier to be a Giant Bomb member.

CUE ONSLAUGHT OF IGN HATE POSTS! 

EDIT: I should mention that I actually really like IGN and don't get the hate. Some of the editorial staff like Greg Miller, Daemon, Ryan Clements, Colin Moriarty, the dearly departed Craig Harris, etc. are really great to read and I love the podcasts. I just assume any post about IGN will be met with tons of hate. 

Leoplureodon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Leoplureodon

I like IGN, Gamestop on the other hand.....

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By benjaebe

Everyone's favorite game retail store to hate combines with everyone's least favorite game review site?
Well, at least everyone can direct all their hate at one giant target now. Maybe there's a two-meter exhaust vent we could find and blow the whole thing up.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Brendan

Not surprising, just mainstream peeps mainstreamin it.  Move along.
hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By hockeymask27

Omg i did it again GameSpot does not equal Gamestop. Imagine if it did this would be 1000x times crazier.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By endaround

Just when you think there is no way for IGN to become an even more cluttered mess...

FongGhoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By FongGhoul
@benjaebe:  When you say "everyone" you mean all the people who read LOTS of reviews and post on message boards about video games. So about 5% of people who buy video games? 

The general public goes to Gamestop without guilt, and doesn't really care when the guy behind the counter pushes used games and preorders for crappy games on them. And they may t have heard of IGN, but definitely don't have a negative opinion associated with the company. Business-wise, this is a big win for IGN (dunno how much it helps Gamestop). 

But yeah, message boards (like this one) will be spewing hate while the companies rake it in.
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
@Brendan said:
" Not surprising, just mainstream peeps mainstreamin it.  Move along. "
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Vinchenzo

It's like 2 assholes taking a shit on each other at the same time. I'm not really into that fetish stuff personally.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aetheldod

Dont care really .... good form them ,bad for ... who knows

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By buft

Now gamestop can pressure IGN into giving poorly recieved games a higher mark so they (in theory) sell better, so thats Gamestop and every major publisher now, I'm predicting a wall of tens next year

Avatar image for suicidalsnowman
SuicidalSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By SuicidalSnowman

What is more concerning to me is the influence of a retailer over the ad dollars on a review site.  What happens when Gamestop wants to push a middling game?  Does IGN boost up the score a bit?  Are we going to see more reviews that end with, "Despite its flaws, this game is worth a purchase for anyone who enjoys games with shooting and health bars!" 

If you think about it, part of the reason GB exists was a similar situation...

FongGhoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FongGhoul
@buft: To be fair to Gamestop, Game Informer is actually a pretty decent mag nowadays (except for the crappy paper stock), and while scores seem sometimes a tad inflated they're not any different than most other outlets. I'm sure they'll continue to keep distance between the business folks and editorial staff, at least when it comes to reviews.
benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By benjaebe
@FongGhoul said:
" @benjaebe:  When you say "everyone" you mean all the people who read LOTS of reviews and post on message boards about video games. So about 5% of people who buy video games? 

The general public goes to Gamestop without guilt, and doesn't really care when the guy behind the counter pushes used games and preorders for crappy games on them. And they may t have heard of IGN, but definitely don't have a negative opinion associated with the company. Business-wise, this is a big win for IGN (dunno how much it helps Gamestop).  But yeah, message boards (like this one) will be spewing hate while the companies rake it in. "
It was a general statement. Don't get me wrong - I visit my college's local GameStop fairly regularly to get in on preorder deals, pick up used games and all that fun stuff. I still listen to some IGN podcasts every once in awhile and don't have any problem with the site. Still, take a look at any video game forum and you'll see a lot of flak directed at both of them. This just makes it easier.
Kieran_ES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Kieran_ES

I like a large majority of the IGN editorial staff, and don't really understand the hate. However, the marketing department make some questionable choices. I won't forgive them for having my entire screen fill up with bananas last time I visited the Wii page.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By EpicSteve
@EndSarcasm said:
" I like a large majority of the IGN editorial staff, and don't really understand the hate. However, the marketing department make some questionable choices. I won't forgive them for having my entire screen fill up with bananas last time I visited the Wii page. "
Haters gonna hate.
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By alternate

Getting creative with ways to make the website pay.  Can't really fault them for that.  Not as if IGN is some indie selling out either, they have always been corporate to the core.

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By dragonzord

No Caption Provided
@buft said:
" Now gamestop can pressure IGN into giving poorly recieved games a higher mark so they (in theory) sell better, so thats Gamestop and every major publisher now, I'm predicting a wall of tens next year "
So exactly as it was before? It's not like IGN is known for its journalistic integrity. Hell it seems like Arthur Gies bashes anything that's hard for a casual such as himself
nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19  Edited By nickux
@EndSarcasm: Yeah I feel the same way. Some of the writers there are really great and incredibly hard-working so I always appreciate the work they do. I always think the people who claim to hate IGN so much would probably work there in a heartbeat. 
Ghost407

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ghost407

I've never had a problem with IGN, they are a great source for news. I don't have nearly as much respect for most of their staff's knowledge of the development and history of games, as the sages of Giantbomb. This is a little strange though. Anytime a journalism outlet partners with a retail outlet it is hard not to question the integrity of what they are writing. Good reviews from the most visited video game website equal better sales... Just sounds like there's a lot of room for some ethics issues.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pazy

I find this a little annoying, though I dont frequent IGN as much as I do Giant Bomb I do however listen to all their gaming podcasts and really enjoy the personalities. Since I have a certain sense of their tastes I can actually use their podcasts to help my decision on what games to get but if they are combining with a retail chain (and as such have a good reason to show that the things they are trying to sell are great) then it really stops wanting to listen to their opinions on games.

Kieran_ES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kieran_ES
@Pazy said:
" I find this a little annoying, though I dont frequent IGN as much as I do Giant Bomb I do however listen to all their gaming podcasts and really enjoy the personalities. Since I have a certain sense of their tastes I can actually use their podcasts to help my decision on what games to get but if they are combining with a retail chain (and as such have a good reason to show that the things they are trying to sell are great) then it really stops wanting to listen to their opinions on games. "
The marketing department and editorial team are entirely separate areas of IGN. One does not influence the other. In fact there was an incident where a marketing guy tried to influence one of the editors' scores by threatening that he would be fired for giving it a low score. Instead of the editor being fired when he gave the game a low score, the marketing guy was fired for his behaviour.
ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By ez123
@EndSarcasm: What review does this alleged firing pertain to?
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By ProfessorEss

My current state of indifference remains unchanged towards both parties.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zoner said:
"
No Caption Provided
@buft said:
" Now gamestop can pressure IGN into giving poorly recieved games a higher mark so they (in theory) sell better, so thats Gamestop and every major publisher now, I'm predicting a wall of tens next year "
So exactly as it was before? It's not like IGN is known for its journalistic integrity. Hell it seems like Arthur Gies bashes anything that's hard for a casual such as himself "
Yeah he's always bashing stuff like Ninja Gaiden. Oh wait....
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#26  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I didn't find this all that amazing but the Transformers theme was playing in my head the whole time I was reading it. I don't hold anything that strongly against Gamestop or IGN.

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dragonzord
@Manhattan_Project said:
" @zoner said:
"
No Caption Provided
@buft said:
So exactly as it was before? It's not like IGN is known for its journalistic integrity. Hell it seems like Arthur Gies bashes anything that's hard for a casual such as himself "
Yeah he's always bashing stuff like Ninja Gaiden. Oh wait.... "
Certain games build reputations through early reviews, and basically force a point that no matter how much you hate a game you have to give it a good rating for being challenging. If you don't, you just don't know what you're doing. Why do you think GB never reviewed Demon's Souls?
Kieran_ES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kieran_ES
@ez123: He never said. It was mentioned on a podcast when a reader asked whether they'd ever been offered money for reviews. 
Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zoner: So your saying he gave Ninja Gaiden a good score because early reviews forced him to?  That is amazingly stupid.

Besides, he has never reviewed a Ninja Gaiden game so that wouldn't apply.

And GB didn't review Demon's Souls because none of them gave a damn about some poorly designed, shitty game.
RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RichardLOlson

I don't really care, IGN isn't really my number one source for gaming news or anything gaming in general.  And Gamestop just sucks balls and I wouldn't really care if they burned to the ground.

ManaByte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ManaByte

I think Gamestop wanted this due to IGN running Direct2Drive and it'll be their way for a piece of the DD pie.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By EvilTwin

No Caption Provided
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By keyhunter

I never gave a shit about IGN before, and I DEFINATELY don't give a shit about IGN now. They're representing ponytails, patchy goatee's, and the death of on shelf gaming products now.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By TheHBK
@Vinchenzo said:
" It's like 2 assholes taking a shit on each other at the same time. I'm not really into that fetish stuff personally. "
That's it!  This thread is fucking over!
carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By carlthenimrod

Every time you click on a review it'll ask you if you want to pre-order the next sequel for the game. 

Then it'll ask you if you want to buy the strategy guide for it. 

Then it'll offer you a used copy of John Madden football. 

Then you will just close your browser out of frustration.

pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pretender15
@benjaebe said:
" Everyone's favorite game retail store to hate combines with everyone's least favorite game review site? Well, at least everyone can direct all their hate at one giant target now. Maybe there's a two-meter exhaust vent we could find and blow the whole thing up. "
I thought everyone loved GameStop? I mean the only alternative is Wal-Mart, unless like DRM.
Shazguroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Shazguroth

They both suck ^^

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ez123
@pretender15 said: 
I thought everyone loved GameStop?
 Wut? 

I mean the only alternative is Wal-Mart"
No? 

, unless like DRM. 
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I still like IGN, and go to it regularly, but I don't like the sound of this. The first time IGN gives a game that GameStop has some pre-order bonus for (which is all games) a high score, trolls, er, people are going to complain. 

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DrPockets000

Damn.  I wish I cared.  I can't see this having a huge effect on me.  I will continue to visit gamestop and ignore IGN.  

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ez123
@EndSarcasm said:
" @ez123: He never said. It was mentioned on a podcast when a reader asked whether they'd ever been offered money for reviews.  "
Well, without actual information, it's just a thing that a dude said on a podcast. It's hardly any evidence to support the claim that  "t he marketing department and editorial team are entirely separate areas of IGN. One does not influence the other."
koolaid39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By koolaid39

I wonder if people will have to show their pre order receipt before they are allowed to read previews of a game they are curious about. I see nothing but bad things coming from this move.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By hexx462
@pretender15 said:
"I thought everyone loved GameStop? I mean the only alternative is Wal-Mart, unless like DRM. "
Ever hear of a little online shop called Amazon? Been told they're pretty sweet!
Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ShadowConqueror

...so they would have given Kane and Lynch a better review score, right?
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45  Edited By wrighteous86

JOURNALISTIC INTEGRITY!!!

ManaByte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ManaByte
@hexx462 said:
" @pretender15 said:
"I thought everyone loved GameStop? I mean the only alternative is Wal-Mart, unless like DRM. "
Ever hear of a little online shop called Amazon? Been told they're pretty sweet! "
Yup. And with Prime you get your games on release date with free shipping and no tax.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By iam3green

good more money for the two companies. i think this means that bad games might get higher score. it for be good for them from the people that don't play a lot of video games. there are going to be people that complaining about this  i know of it. pretty crazy stuff.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Pibo47
@Vinchenzo said:
" It's like 2 assholes taking a shit on each other at the same time. I'm not really into that fetish stuff personally. "
hahahahahahahahahaha, since i work for gamestop its even funnier.
WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By WEGGLES

Now I only need to avoid one thing now. 

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Malakhii
@ManaByte said:
" @hexx462 said:
" @pretender15 said:
Ever hear of a little online shop called Amazon? Been told they're pretty sweet! "
Yup. And with Prime you get your games on release date with free shipping and no tax. "
Plus they love to throw amazon credit at you. It's a win-win.