In this Economy, do you think people will start going retro?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Ill use a example for myself. I dont have a job right now, and honestly cant afford these 60 dollar new games. So lately ive been going to this one place where they have booths that sell old games and consoles, like N64, PS2, PS1, SNES, etc. Now, for a Genesis, itll cost you 25 bucks for the model 1, and alot of the games are only 5 or 10 bucks. SNES is 40 bucks for the console, and the games range anywhere from 5 to 100 bucks. (you can probaly find them cheaper elsewhere, but im just using the place for example.)

Now, lets talk about christmas. Your kid wants a game console, and honestly, he may not know a 360 from a Atari 2600. What sounds like the better deal, a 360 for atleast 200 bucks, plus 60 dollar games. Or a N64 for 20 or 30 bucks, plus games taht cost only 5 or 15 bucks for most.

I can only go by my personal experience, but I can afford old games alot easier than new games, and there alot cheaper. Plus, some still look really good even today adn are still great. Im going back and palying alot of games I missed out on.
Ill use a example for myself. I dont have a job right now, and honestly cant afford these 60 dollar new games. So lately ive been going to this one place where they have booths that sell old games and consoles, like N64, PS2, PS1, SNES, etc. Now, for a Genesis, itll cost you 25 bucks for the model 1, and alot of the games are only 5 or 10 bucks. SNES is 40 bucks for the console, and the games range anywhere from 5 to 100 bucks. (you can probaly find them cheaper elsewhere, but im jsut using the palce for example.) Now, lets talk about christmas. Your little kid wants a game console, and honestly, he may not know a 360 from a Atari 2600. What sounds like the better deal, a 360 for atleast 200 bucks, plus 60 dollar games. Or a N64 for 20 or 30 bucks, plus games that cost only 5 or 15 bucks for most. I can only go by my personal experince, but I can afford old games alot easier than new games, and there alot cheaper. Plus, some still look really good even today adn are still great. Im going back and palying alot of games I missed out on.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Systech

No. That kind of hardware is too difficult to find, and for today's society, it's all or nothing.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Dalai

This is where I would actually recommend buying a Wii.  Instead of buying a bunch of older consoles, you could get a Wii with a good selection of Virtual Console games that are around $5-$12.  And it's backwards compatible and you can find cheap Gamecube games that still hold up well today. 

And trust me, your kid will know the difference between an Atari and a 360... unless he doesn't watch TV, have friends, or is not chained up in the attic,  Kids are not idiots.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By iam3green

no, i think that one of the things that will never die in the economy is video games. there are some people that wait for games to become cheaper to buy. there are other people that can just find the joy of just playing games over.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#5  Edited By TobyD81

No more than usual. Retro will always be around for the niche that enjoys it, but in a bad economy I think more people will look to the cheap and free downloadable games or online games, MMOs, and major tentpole games. What might suffer is full-priced games that are not huge blockbusters.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CL60

No.

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

You're an idiot. 

By the way what's the difference between a PS3 and "SNES" (whatever that means.) 

I'm only 14, so I have no idea what happens outside of my house, it's not like I have friends, go to school, or now about modern technology or anything. That for t3h growed ups!!!
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Nah.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By FluxWaveZ

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

God, seriously?  Are you fucking kidding me!?  "Your kid wants a game console, and honestly, he may not know a 360 from a Atari 2600."  This is another case where Jeff saying something to the effect of "don't underestimate children" makes sense.  Do you honestly, really believe that in this day and age a kid who wants a gaming console won't know the difference between them?

And about the going retro thing; screw that.  It's your choice if you want to go buy these old consoles and games because they're cheaper. Most of those who want to game without spending any money will probably resort to playing free indie games on the PC that use old school concepts and actually modernize them, they may just end up pirating games, they may turn to a free-to-play MMO or whatever.  There are other alternatives than going out and buying a N64.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

@Dalai said:
"Kids are not idiots. "

That's news to me. :/
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Bigandtasty

Free/illegal options on the PC maybe; old consoles not so much. Maybe more hand-me-downs and revisiting what one already has, but certainly not some kind of renaissance for purchasing retro game consoles.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By TwoOneFive

no.  

but ill tell you what.  
people are more inclined to sit in and play video games online with their friends then go out and waste all kinds of money.  

so many of my friends and co-workers have bought new ps3 slims and have all been playing mw2 online all night everyday and its a lot of fun. 

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By PureRok

I have to say that I sometimes enjoy older games a lot more than I do current games. I guess it's all about my mood. Sometimes a good, ol' SNES game is what the heart needs.