#1 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Isn't it obvious that gaming one day will be reserved for the time we are asleep? All these hours of life lost, both to gaming and sleep. One day, we will learn to control our dreams. To cast designer dreams into our sleeping minds. Achieve perfect lucidity and hence interactivity there-of. With perfect recollection of our dreamcasted exploits - that is the way we will play videogames! Also, it is said that dreamtime passes slower than regular time. Given enough control, we might spend a month's worth of perceived *real* time playing our favorite games in a single night's rest. And there'd still be time for wet dreams!

You heard it here first.

Also. Happy 10,000th post to myself!

#2 Posted by micemoney (137 posts) -

Thank you for this. I'm ready.

#3 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

Inception 2: The Video Game

#4 Posted by spraynardtatum (2628 posts) -

#5 Edited by Gruebacca (506 posts) -

I think that in the future, we will figure out how to make it so that humans don't have to sleep anymore, so those extra 8 hours have to go somewhere.

#6 Posted by UncleBenny (423 posts) -

ugh, Idlethumbs dedicate an entire episode to dreamcast and now you. I have no reason to live anymore everyone are monsters.

#7 Posted by believer258 (11682 posts) -

So this is what's taking Shenmue 3 so long.

#8 Posted by Zelyre (1129 posts) -

I just found two Dreamcasts in my basement. If only I could find the games and controllers...

#9 Posted by Itwongo (1132 posts) -

Shit, I'd be down.

#10 Edited by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

Shenmue is the future of gaming!!!

#11 Posted by ZolRoyce (633 posts) -

That sounds like a Philip K. Dick novel in the making right there.
That would be really cool, of course it would be really cool to have any control over that stuff, imagine being able to spend all that down time learning something new? Or being able to record your dreams so that you can show them to your friends because no really, I just had this sweet dream and not only can I bore you to death telling you about it, now I can show it to you! Lucky you!

#12 Posted by crithon (3081 posts) -

wasn't the Xbox 360 the spiritual successor to the dreamcast?

#13 Edited by Butler (384 posts) -

This existence is already a simulation.

And with the all the vr technologies coming to a forefront the next step in human evolution is the shedding of physicality and becoming digital gods.

And the Dreamcast was the pinnacle of gaming. I'm convinced since they bought up a bunch of properties they are just waiting for Nintendo to finally die out and then bam! Dreamcast 2! It's the long con!

#14 Edited by BigSocrates (291 posts) -

The human brain performs important functions during sleep probably incompatible with this idea. We need sleep to form memories and clear away brain junk.

#15 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5268 posts) -

I'm in!

#16 Posted by falserelic (5334 posts) -

Yep and the day will come when gamers get tired of arguing on the internet. Instead of arguing trying to prove each other wrong. They'll just get into a quick fist fight, it'll be just like this judge and lawyer in this vid.

''If you wanna fight, lets go outback and I'll beat your ass''

#17 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

I don't want to be doing stuff when i am asleep. Sleep is time for me to shut the world off.

#18 Edited by GunstarRed (5044 posts) -

No way. I'm injecting Saturn into my bloodstream on a weekly basis. That's the true future of gaming.

#19 Posted by Jeust (10482 posts) -

Have you ever heard of lucid dreams?

In a lucid dream, the dreamer has greater chances to exert some degree of control over their participation within the dream or be able to manipulate their imaginary experiences in the dream environment.

Source

#20 Posted by csl316 (8172 posts) -

Typing of the Dead led to Typing of the Dead: Overkill, so it was certainly ahead of its time. Who knows what else it predicted that we aren't expecting?

Congrats on 10,000.

#21 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

This is fantastic.

Also, though only tangentially related, people should listen to this Radiolab story.

#22 Edited by Vuud (1943 posts) -

I'd rather have a pill I can take to not need sleep so I can stay up and play more video games.

And before anyone thinks of making the joke, I ain't talkin about meth!

#23 Edited by billymagnum (734 posts) -

@gruebacca said:

I think that in the future, we will figure out how to make it so that humans don't have to sleep anymore, so those extra 8 hours have to go somewhere.

i think that problem has been solved for quite a while now

#24 Posted by SkullPanda1 (93 posts) -

The bigger question: do you dream in colour?

#25 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4605 posts) -

Yes I do. Do you?

#26 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@skullpanda1 said:

I have woken up several times convinced I commited heinous murder. Made me sick to my stomach for months. My brain is capable of highest fidelity reality creation. Seal of Quality guaranteed.

#27 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

You know what would be fucked up...

...if the Dreamcast technology existed, but your brain didn't support it, or supported it very poorly. Like somebody tells you: "I'm sorry sir, but your brain is the Xbox One amongst brains..."

Monochrome dreaming for you.

#28 Edited by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

Dood, the Dreamcast has BEEN the future of video games since the moment it was created. It will always be the future of gaming.

#29 Posted by MannyMAR (413 posts) -

Forget the "Dreamcast," I can't wait 'til 2078 when PS9 comes out.

It's all in the spores baby!!!