Is Fallout 3 worth getting or Dragon age Origins?

• 67 results
jensejar002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I bought fallout 3 about 2 years ago. I just couldn't get into it for some reason so i sold it. I have never played a dragon age before but plan on getting Inquistion.

Should I buy fallout 3 again or Dragon age Origins? Which one is more fun?

Beerbaron17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had the same reaction to fallout that you did. I can also say that I've played and loved both Dragon Ages. I love the world that they are building and can't wait for the next installment. But I'm a total nerd for epic fantasy. In the same breath tho I didn't care for Skyrim at all. I guess I just don't care for the way Bethesda's RPGs feel in general.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I enjoyed Origins a lot on the PC. Beat it a few times. I'd rather play that over Fallout 3.

However, if you're set on post-apoc-sci-fi, I'd rather play New Vegas over Fallout 3, any day of the week. Fallout 3 felt like a FPS with light RPG elements in the Fallout universe, whereas New Vegas felt like a first person Fallout game.

studsmckewl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By studsmckewl

BETTER DEAD THAN RED.

In other words I found Fallout 3 to be a more enjoyable game to me personally. I did enjoy Dragon Age Origins quite a lot as well, but I gotta go with Fallout 3 on this one.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zeik

They're dramatically different games, so it's kinda hard to say one is definitively better than the other (although I would go for New Vegas over Fallout 3 if I were to suggest a Fallout game.)

However, if you plan to play Inquisition I'd play Origins first. While it shouldn't be strictly necessary to understand or enjoy Inquisition, there seems to be a lot of references and decisions from that game that potentially impact Inquisition. (You can make all those decisions through Dragon Age Keep without owning the game, but without context they don't mean as much.)

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on what you're into I guess? They're both great games, and you're missing on two of the best experiences of the last generation if you don't play them. They're not exactly expensive either, so I don't see why picking them both up would be a problem.

That said, if you're set on playing only one of them due to the time commitment or whatever, I'd recommend you go for Dragon Age. I'd guess that the gameplay might not seem as dated today as FO3's, if only because nobody has really attempted to iterate upon the genre since then. Dragon Age was basically the swan song of traditional CRPGs, and you can really tell how much Bioware cared about it.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather play DAO over Fallout 3 any day. I enjoyed them both, but DAO is, to me, in a different league of quality compared to Fallout

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

@pcorb: There were some CRPG's this year, though.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Legion_

Depends. Console Dragon Age 1 is pretty bad. But if you have a capable rig, there are some super cool mods and stuff that enhance that game in ways you wouldn't believe. I'm not talking about huge differences, but just stuff like capes, better lighting, enhanced environments and armor. Stuff that just is vital to the immersion.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

On its own I'd say Dragon Age: Origins over Fallout 3.

Even more so if you're planning on playing DA: Inquisition.

DirtyRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since you said you sold it, I'm going to guess you're not playing on PC.

Fallout 3 is a better console game than Dragon Age Origins. Dragon Age Origins on a console is not a fun experience, but Fallout 3 was made for consoles in a lot of ways and doesn't feel as gimped by the controller as Dragon Age does.

If you are at all able to play either of them on the PC, then I might recommend Dragon Age because just because it's so different from most games and requires a lot of thought, which is refreshing.

That being said... modded Fallout 3 is probably my favorite game of all time. I could write an essay about how much I love it and I just might, because I think that everyone needs to play a modded version of Fallout 3. There are so many great mods and putting them together and making the game way better than it was when it first game out is really satisfying. Modding the game is like a game in itself and when you're "done" you get to play one of the most fun games ever.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zeik

@dirtyrandy: I disagree. The PC version of Origins may have a better control scheme, but other than that you're basically getting the same experience.

However, I think playing Fallout 3 on the PC is almost a necessity to really make that game worthwhile. Even if you ignore all the mods that improve the game, it's simply a vastly more stable version than what you get on consoles. Bethesda games are usually buggy as hell and Bethesda has never done a great job fixing those issues on their own, so the console versions always suffer.

If you have the choice the PC is still the better option for both though. (And I say that as someone with a vast preference for console gaming.)

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man Origins was amaaaazing. I played it first on 360 and PC years later so personally i think it's fine if you played it on both platforms. I didn't really enjoy the combat since the story was where it was at for me. I think Fallout 3 hasn't aged particularly well whereas Dragon Age still holds up really well, so go with Dragon Age Origins :)

DirtyRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another thought here... When I played Dragon Age Origins, I really enjoyed it, but I always felt like I was on top of the game rather than in it. As a RPG it didn't suck me in like the Fallout games can. It was still a very fun game, but I rarely felt invested in what was going on. I could write a lot about why I think this was the case, but to keep it sort, I'll just say that Dragon Age does some very cool things with their fantasy world, but I had a hard time caring about it. Something to think about.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes and yes.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zeik

@dirtyrandy: I think it depends on what you're looking for in an RPG. Fallout puts more focus on its world and your ability to explore it, but falters in its characters and storytelling, while Dragon Age is kind of the exact opposite.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved Origins a lot more than Fallout 3. I've played it on 360 and PC and imo both versions are great but PC is obviously the way to go if you can.

DirtyRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DirtyRandy

@zeik: The PC control scheme makes planning attacks much less of a pain, which makes the game more enjoyable overall.

If you're going to play Fallout 3 on a PC, you can ignore the game changing mods, but if you want the less buggy experience, you're going to need a few mods. But you're totally right about their games being very buggy. Even with great mods (fixes), the game maintains it's fair share of... personality. But even with it's issues... man that game is great.

Then responding to your second reply, I totally see what you mean. I think that in terms of depth of character content, Dragon Age is ahead of Fallout 3. But when it comes to quality of writing, Fallout wins for me.

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout New Vegas! Plus if you get it on PC you can mod it out

seveword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3, if only because you might enjoy Dragon Age, want to play the sequels, and then stumble into the tsunami of garbage that is Dragon Age 2.

I'm not given to broad, sweeping statements of absolute objectivity when I know for a fact that the matters on which I speak are wholly subjective, but I'm just gonna pull a Ryckert and say: New Vegas is infinitely, in every conceivable way, a better follow-up experience to Fallout 3 than Dragon Age 2 is in relation to Dragon Age: Origins by any measure of quantifiable human understanding.

Or just play Origins and pretend that a sequel never happened. Who knows, maybe Inquisition won't suck that hard.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zeik

@seveword: I know I'm in the minority saying this, but Dragon Age 2 is a perfectly decent game. It's not what fans of Origins wanted, so I can understand the backlash to an extent, but it's not this utter abomination that people make it out to be. In fact there were more than a few things I think it did better than Origins.

I didn't touch the game until earlier this year because I stupidly trusted the internet to make my decisions for me. I won't make that mistake again.

Bongler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Bongler

They're both great games but if you couldn't get into Fallout 3 then maybe its not for you? Otherwise, check out Dragon Age. Its cheap nowadays so there's no reason not to play it.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By audiosnow

I didn't enjoy Fallout 3 until about six hours in. Once it finally hooked me, I fell heels-over-head. That said, going back to Fallout 3 after playing New Vegas makes the improvements shockingly apparent. But the world of Fallout 3 is still my favorite open world to explore, on any system.

If you have a history in CRPGs (Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights), and you have a PC, play Dragon Age. Otherwise, play Fallout.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you plan the get the sequel to a very story/lore heavy game, then it couldn't hurt to actually play the 1st game, although it can be a time sink and rather difficult at times.
Then again Fallout 3 is a time sink too, also if you have a competent PC for these days then it will at the very least most likely run and you can mod it like crazy after you buy it for 3 bucks on a steam sale.

Cerebus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age

seveword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: I hardly think you're in the minority, the game received pretty decent reviews at launch. I was just personally affronted by the fact that DA2, much like Mass Effect 2, was homogenized and stripped down to appeal to a wider audience by EA, instead of building on any gameplay or mechanical strengths that the first game introduced.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#27  Edited By BeachThunder

I say give Fallout 3 another shot (make sure you get out of the starting area before you pass judgement).

Let's be clear - (at least from my experience) Fallout 3 is not a particularly good game, but it can still be incredibly enjoyable when you get into it. Just make sure you're not expecting anything too polished. I'd definitely recommend it if you're into games with a lot of exploration.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say check out Fallout 3 , it's a pretty good game and I can say the same thing for Dragon Age.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get both? Fallout 3 is great. I've sunk so many hours into it. I remember my first time with it that it starts pretty slow and I was about to give up on it. Before I know it, it was the only thing I was playing for weeks and months.

Unless the offer has expired, Dragon Age Origins is (or was) completely free for download on Origin.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I'd recommend Fallout: New Vegas over both of them.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Personally I didn't find the Fallout 3 games very easy to go back to, while DA:O still holds up pretty well, aside from a cast of companions that has more than a couple duds.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It took me two tries for Fallout 3, but once the hook set, I never shook free. Hearing/seeing the conflicts and weapons fire as I crossed the waste-lands and such at night was just so damned atmospheric and involving for me. And occasionally it got up close and personal. What a game.

I never played DA-origins, so I guess my opinion is a bit lopsided.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FrostyRyan

Fallout 3 is undoubtedly one of the best games of last generation and cannot be missed.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fallout 3 with mods, not the weird pervy ones the ones that make the game beautiful chaos.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By YoThatLimp

@bybeach said:

It took me two tries for Fallout 3, but once the hook set, I never shook free. Hearing/seeing the conflicts and weapons fire as I crossed the waste-lands and such at night was just so damned atmospheric and involving for me. And occasionally it got up close and personal. What a game.

I never played DA-origins, so I guess my opinion is a bit lopsided.

Yeah, I bought Fallout 3 times and traded it in twice. Once I was hooked I put 70-80 hours into it, beat all the DLC, etc.

Dragon Age Origins was awesome and I easily put 40 hours into it.

i think they are both awesome, it really depends on cost and what editions you will get. If on console get Fallout 3, if on PC it is up in the air.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dragon Age Origins was free on origin some time ago. Actually it still might be available for free.

So get both if that is still the fact.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By militantfreudian

I think it'd be easier to get into Dragon Age: Origins, merely by the virtue of it being more story-driven. It's also not as linear as the Mass Effect games. The story is decent and the characters are fleshed-out, more so than any other recent Bioware game. The gameplay, while being a bit clunky, is pretty complex and enjoyable. I haven't played Fallout 3, but I've sunk around 30 hours into New Vegas, which is supposedly a better-written version of Fallout 3. I personally didn't enjoy the combat in New Vegas, it was too clunky, even compared to DA:O.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well since you are getting DA:I then Dragon Age Origins , but the inmediate story has a lot more to do with DA 2. Fallout 3 is a great game but yeah you have to be into that type of game type to like it.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By justicejanitor

I have played both and finished Dragon Age Origins with three different characters. Did not finish Fallout 3. So yeah, my vote goes to DA:O. That being said, I just can't stand post-apocalyptic settings in general, except for the Metro series, that one worked for me.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't like Fallout 3 much (though I did finish it). I absolutely loved Dragon Age: Origins and really enjoyed Dragon Age 2 as well. Take from that what you will ;)

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering Dragon Age has a sequel in like 3 weeks I would say go for Dragon Age. I think it is the stronger game in general as well, though Fallout 3 isn't bad.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I've played through Dragon Age 3 times and never finished Fallout 3, it's not a very good roleplaying game and an even worse shooter. Mostly it's a testament to the kind of mediocrity people will accept in their open world games that they'd rail against in anything else.

Get dragon age.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Giant_Gamer

They are totally different and great games but let me try help you narrow it down a bit.

Do you prefer...

-Post apocalyptic settings while humanity struggle to survive against mutations, radiation and humanity itself .

Or

Fantasy settings we all know which is inspired by lord of the rings so expect elves and dwarfs

-Getting close and personal, gun blazing, laser weapons or cause a variety of explosions

Or

Sword styles, daggers, crossbows or magic

-Upgrading your character based on how you want to play the game like.. do you want to carry every item you find? Do you want use energy weapon or heavy weapons? Do you want to hack stuff?

Or

Pretty straight forward rpg mechanics with classes and sub classes

-Being all alone

Or

Being with a party, controlling party members during fights and building your relationship with party members

Just in case every part with a dash at the beginning refers to fallout while the latter refers to dragon age

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

They are wildly, hilariously different.

I think you would probably connect more with Fallout if your other tastes reflect an action-oriented bent. If you're more of an old-school, strategy/RPG kind of player, you're going to enjoy Dragon Age.

For me, I found Dragon Age Origins completely impenetrable. Nothing about that game sank in with me.

OttoRostock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not both?

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did find both games really to start up slowly, but I think Fallout 3 became interesting a lot sooner when you start getting into the thick of it and exploring the world. Also the post-apocalyptic setting felt far less done to death to me than the high fantasy of Dragon Age.

That said I played a little bit of New Vegas and couldn't get into it.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked up DA:O and Fallout 3 on PC in a 3 for £10 deal bundle from Game a couple of months back, already had Fallout 3 on console but wanted to play it modded. Also got Dead space 2 with it.

They were giving DA:O away for free on Origin not so long back, not sure if that's still available.

Basically what I'm saying is at this point there is no reason to not get and at least try both.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By vikingdeath1
@zeik said:

They're dramatically different games, so it's kinda hard to say one is definitively better than the other

They are both rad games, play both, never look back.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@vikingdeath1 said:

@zeik said:

They're dramatically different games, so it's kinda hard to say one is definitively better than the other

They are both rad games, play both, never look back.

I would agree with this sentiment. I love both games for different reasons. I think that if I were to base it purely on time spent in the game, I would give the edge to Fallout 3. I spent hundreds of hours in that game. If I was basing it more on the effectiveness of the story or characters, I would give the edge to Dragon Age, mainly because the story is much better and the characters, at least to me, are more memorable.

Fallout 3 is a game where you can go off the beaten path for hours and hours and still have a ton of fun, maybe even more fun than actually doing missions. Dragon Age is more linear and is a more story driven experience, so while it may not have as much content and reasons to go off the beaten path, the main path is really great and engrossing.

Avatar image for underscore_underscore
Underscore_Underscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This makes me want to reinstall both onto my new pc, but fallout 3 doesn't run without some workarounds on windows 8 :(