Is going from Xbox One to the 360 or PS4 to PS3 jarring?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is going from Xbox One to the 360 or PS4 to PS3 jarring? (101 votes)

Yes 22%
No 78%

Graphically I mean. Is it hard to enjoy games on last gen consoles now? I have a PS4 and was thinking of getting a 360 before a Xbox One but am wondering if I should just save the money and go straight to XOne.

• 
bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By bigjeffrey

No

360 has more games, get a 360.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By TruthTellah

Graphics-wise? Not really.

Controller-wise? Absolutely.

Trying to play with the PS3 DualShock 3 after playing with the PS4 DualShock 4 feels like going from using a new iPad air to trying to use a Chinese knockoff tablet from 2005.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I don't have an XBO or PS4, although I have played the Xbox. However, if any previous generations are to go by, then absolutly not.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Windows ate your Xbox.

...sorry, that was too easy.

approchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trying to play with the PS3 DualShock 3 after playing with the PS4 DualShock 4 feels like going from using a new iPad air to trying to use a Chinese knockoff tablet from 2005.

Agree 100% PS4 to PS3 is rough because of the controller.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well...I can already notice some things with PC and X1, specifically BF 4 when I saw one of the people who live in my apartment complex playing it. It was sorta jarring for me in a way, but then again I guess that's because of the 1440p monitor that I now adjusted to so seeing something at 720p was a big difference for me.

but anyways, the 360 is cheap as hell right now with a load of games that are also cheap. Go get that.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy a PS3 unless you like playing the same two games over and over.

If you like playing the same two games over and over buy a 360.

With a 360 you can either play a shooter where you shoot aliens that come out of spaceships. or you can play a shooter where you shoot aliens that come out of the ground.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Flappy

Not a problem for me. I mean, it's only been like 3 weeks since I bought the PS4; it ain't like I'm going back to the Dreamcast or something.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

The only thing jarring is not looking at an Xbox 360 when I sit down in the living room. My entertainment center is now PS3, WiiU, and PS4 with a PS4 in the bedroom. The 360 is the first console I've completely gotten rid of in my life. Every great 360 game, in my opinion, is playable on the PC outside of the Halo games (excluding 4, which I hate) and a couple of others.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By AndrewB

The graphical swap is jarring, but if you missed out on the console altogether there are too many good games to pass up for that reason alone (actually haven't seen a next-gen console running a game - besides Killer Instinct - in person yet, but going by that and PC experience, it got to the point at the end of the generation where it became obvious those games were only barely able to make it onto those platforms).

I don't think you're going to miss enough amazing games to make buying an XBox One on top the PS4 worth it in lieu of the 360. That's something that could wait until further into the generation when there are games and price drops. Then again, if you had a PS3 prior, the same probably applies to getting a 360 -unless you're way into Halo or Gears. At least the games would be super cheap, though.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

I hope DS II and FFX HD Support Dualshock 4....it will be tough going back to the Dualshock 3

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mcfart

Lots of games look artisically great on last gen. Also, the graphics jump from 360>Xbone isn't as big as PS2>Xbox 360.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Ive been playing a lot of both gens recently, and the answer is sometimes. Frankly the UI in the older machines becomes hilariously/terrifyingly slow after the new ones. Graphically it depends on the game but the thing is that graphics and animation reached a point (even before PS3:360), especially when styled a certain way, that can be pretty ageless. The games that suffer most I find are the ones that that were, at the time, the realistic graphics showpieces

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cloudnineboya

not at all , a friend the other day was playing uncharted 3 and that game still looks tops even in its 720p glory . it's been a while since i have seen a ps3 game and i was quite shocked how good the textures and the sharpness was/is . so fuck next gen?.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#15  Edited By Kidavenger

If you weren't compelled to get a 360 before, there is no sense in getting one now, the only thing 360 was good for was multiplayer shooters, that community will be moving over to next gen, if you have to save for it, I'd definitely save to the xb1.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@approchey said:

@truthtellah said:

I hope DS II and FFX HD Support Dualshock 4....it will be tough going back to the Dualshock 3

Yup. Words cannot describe my sadness when I popped in the new Ratchet & Clank and found it does not support the DS4.

Khronikos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Khronikos

Absolutely, I haven't been able to enjoy a last gen game for years except the ones that focus on IQ. That image quality just isn't enough for me anymore. As it should be. We have 1080p tvs. Why the hell should we want to play 720p games?

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely, I haven't been able to enjoy a last gen game for years except the ones that focus on IQ. That image quality just isn't enough for me anymore. As it should be. We have 1080p tvs. Why the hell should we want to play 720p games?

Microsoft's 32 MB mistake is going to be the next Cell Processor in terms of multiplatform games running at a lower resolution. On the PS4 resolution drops are going to be a performance thing while on the Xbox One its going to be more of an inherent hardware challenge. Like trying to get a full screen picture on the NES.

Khronikos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slaegar said:

@khronikos said:

Microsoft's 32 MB mistake is going to be the next Cell Processor in terms of multiplatform games running at a lower resolution. On the PS4 resolution drops are going to be a performance thing while on the Xbox One its going to be more of an inherent hardware challenge. Like trying to get a full screen picture on the NES.

Agreed. The only problem is that 32MB doesn't have as much play as the Cell. If am being honest I really wish M just went with an uber powerful box for gaming.

Avatar image for axialcartographer
axialcartographer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This generations leap in graphics is definitely way more subtle than past jumps. Graphics aren't really the reason to care about these consoles imo. Surprisingly, I think Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U looks way better than any PS4/XBO game I've seen so far, with very few exceptions.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Not yet, though going from bf4 on the Xbox one to the 360 version would be brutal.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zeik

I'm actually playing some PS2 and Wii games at the moment. The difference between PS4 and PS3 is miniscule in comparison.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

Yes. Absolutely. It's fucking awful to go back to old ass machines for new games when I have new machines. I hate it. They should put stuff out on new hardware. Split Gen it at least.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Klei

@axialcartographer I have Super Mario 3d World, a PS4 and an Xbone. Mario uses a lot of empty-ass backgrounds, which are really apparent in castle stages and boss fights, which are unfortunate. While I love SM3dWorld, and it does look great, it doesn't hold a candle to what Ryse can achieve. The leap from what the 360 does to what Ryse achieves is insanely higher than the 360's launch compared to the original Xbox titles.

@bigjeffrey said:

No

360 has more games, get a 360.

Don't get a 360. It has no exclusives worth looking into. Get a PS3, at least it has a shit ton of great exclusives. Also, multiplatform games since 2011 runs like shit on consoles. PC master race is that way.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klie hes not even asking about a PS3 he's asking about a 360 vs xbox1 dude.

Khronikos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jarring? Yes, very to me. I would not get a 360 at this point. Doesn't make much sense to me if you are just now jumping in.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jarring is a bit far, though my play time is so platform split at this point going up to 6 platforms from 5 is relatively minor.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By crithon

You know, I'd imagine frame rate would be the big deal at this point. Although nothing as horrible as the N64 era when I could be playing Quake.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really, but i've had a decent pc for years now. In the end it's about the gameplay, and honestly last gen looks just fine for the most part. Higher fidelity graphics really haven't added all that much beyond looking prettier so far. Load times on ps4 are still shit, that's the biggest bummer about next gen for me after gaming on pc.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm simultaneously playing The Last of Us (ps3) and Persona 4: Golden (Ps2 game ported to vita) and I haven't once thought about the graphical difference. I care more about art design, gameplay innovation, etc. Raw graphical power has never been something that impresses me; makes me go 'Wow'. Things like the No Mans Sky reveal yesterday does. I'm not against graphically impressive games, its just I don't harp over the fact that a game runs at 720p 30fps. I just don't have it in me to care about that stuff.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No. I'm a PC gamer that has a 360, X1, pS3, and ps4. Having an Overclocked i7 with SLI Nvidia 600 series cards have let me play "next-gen" graphics for the last 3 or 4 years. I've been used to "nextgen" graphics for years now.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It's not really jarring, but rather somewhat lackluster. Controllers especially make the difference for me now. I've been using the Dual Shock 4 for a while now and whenever I even have to hold the Ds3 again it just feels wrong in comparison.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I just started up Arkham Origins on 360 and it looks fine to me. I also played the demo to Lords of Shadow 2 and thought that parts of it were more impressive than anything I've seen so far on next gen (artistically, anyway). But to be fair, I'm comparing launch games to systems that have pretty much been mastered by this point.

PS4 games have looked good, but it's been more about subtle improvements than the last jump into HD. Once the next wave of games hits it may be harder to go back. But for now those systems are perfectly viable. I just wish the 360 didn't take a couple minutes just to get to its home screen.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By ajamafalous

As a PC dude, it's been jarring for me for about five years. At this point games that run at 30fps make me physically uncomfortable, and whenever I play games in 720p that people say look "beautiful" or "stunning" (e.g. something like Journey) I can't get past how fucking jaggy everything is.

So yeah. If you aren't used to it, you'll probably still be okay, but as time goes on you'll definitely find it harder and harder to go back.

xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xshinobi

Not at the moment. I recently picked up God of War Ascension and other than Killzone I think it looks just as good as anything available on the PS4. The big difference will come down to performance. Being able to run AC4 without any framedrops and screen tearing is really nice. In the years to come the next gen devices will obviously out shine the current gen but at launch not so much.