Is it time for Giant Bomb to be a little more professional?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

Poll Is it time for Giant Bomb to be a little more professional? (590 votes)

No, I like the whole "unprofessional" vibe. 86%
Yes, I'd like a more professional polish to things. 5%
Yes, but only in such areas as intros and / or studio spaces 8%

At this point, Giant Bomb has grown quite a lot since they first started out in 2008. It's not just 4 guys in a basement, but 7 people across two states, collectively owned by a giant corporation. I understand that doesn't mean they have access to more resources (money, etc), but I think the "we're just a couple of guys figuring out how this works" vibe is perhaps getting a little old?

Don't get me wrong, I like the casual environement they portray in the unprofessional fridays show. But it still feels like they're almost trying to go out of their way to be unprofessional. Such as recently when the show cold opens to Jeff or someone talking mid conversation. No intro, no explanation of what they're up to or who anyone is in the room. Why? Heck, even in the past they would at least give a normal open: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/whiskey-media-happy-hour-020411/2300-3765/

These guys are so talented, and have been doing it long enough that I would think they'd want to really push the polish level like I see Danny over at Game Spot doing. Obviously that site has a different audience/vibe and i'm not saying I want Giant Bomb to become something they are not - I just want them to add a little more polish to things that don't need to be "unprofessional" anymore.

• 
MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#51  Edited By MEATBALL

Nope, personally in most cases I think the more unprofessional the better for Giant Bomb. Hell, I don't consume as much content as I used to partly because it all feels a bit more serious.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#52  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

I wish they would go into stuff like Quick Looks more informed about the game they're talking about, both for mechanics and release info. If you can't answer basic questions like "when is this game out", "how much does it cost" and "what platforms is it on" why would anyone look to you for information. Likewise it drives me insane when I'm looking forward to a game but haven't played it yet because it's not out, but still know more about how the mechanics and systems work than the people with access to a pre-release copy. I don't want the half-assed intros to UPF to go away, or for anyone's personality to be restrained in order to appear more professional, I just want to be able to watch a Quick Look and not have to go and do my own research afterwards to decide if I'm interested in the game or not.

Actually I do want one personality related thing to change, and that's for Dan to stop giving Drew fucking terrible advice for Metal Gear Solid V. THE RIOT SMG IS GARBAGE DAN. YOU'RE TERRIBLE AT METAL GEAR.

thavralex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Would I want Giant Bomb to change the very thing that largely defines them? No, I wouldn't be here if I did.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#54  Edited By mikemcn

This is not the site for that. I don't want that.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

There are only two things that I wanna see in the vein of "professionalism" and they've already been mentioned.

Price and platforms in Quick Looks

and

More consistent scheduling for features

Everything else can stay the same!

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the "we're just a couple of guys figuring out how this works" is a perception on your part. I think they're very "professional" in ways that are off-camera and most likely boring. But even then I don't think the stuff we get is all unprofessional. I think things like the BLLSL from last year have shown just how "professional" they can be. And Austin's new feature where he brings in different people ti write a piece is as "professional" as it gets. Not to mention QL EXs. But I think this site and the way it does things is well established at this point. Yeah, I'm pretty okay with how they seem to be doing things right now.

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By TyrellOCP

Going to reiterate some previous comments in this thread by saying I'd like a little more professionalism in the video production and scheduling.

The fade up to mid-chat on unprofessional Friday's is the charm (PeezMachine's Craig Ferguson comparison is spot on).

But within that, having the games prepped, downloaded, able to run and a little knowledge about the game the duder is going to play would be appreciated.

Don't fear the jump cut, people. It's not a gateway to YouTube star "WHATSUPGUYS?I'MSPEAKINGLOUDLYANDQUICKLY"-ness.

Totally understand what OP is saying. They aren't dudes in a basement anymore, they have idea zones and whiteboards! But with that comes meetings and other fun corporate day wasters. It's a shame that it's getting in the way of potential improvements.

Making the video production a little tighter and maintaining a regular video content schedule outside of quicklooks would be appreciated.

When Vinny has an opportunity to go wild with editing, the result is always satisfying and hilarious to watch. Especially knowing how quick he is, especially with the podcasts. Or the travelogues. The videos of the duders wandering around events, talking after shows intercut with conference footage was excellent at conveying the tone of a show.

Massive props to Drew, Jason and Vinny for managing to run the shows extremely well on their own.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

They are professional six days a week. What more do you want from them?!?

brads_beard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By brads_beard

I imagine it's pretty hard to set a schedule for shows when they don't know when they'll have time to make them

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

@do_the_manta_ray: I second having them all in tuxedos for a UPF sometime. It would be slightly below Penguin Jeff in the awesome quotient.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

THE RIOT SMG IS GARBAGE DAN. YOU'RE TERRIBLE AT METAL GEAR.

I used that gun the entire game its incredible.

CDUB901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Professional? Ugh, lol

They're where they're at because of how they operate and how they operate might look to some as "unprofessional". If you change the formula it will just be like every other gaming site. This is Giantbomb. You don't change Giantbomb and not even CBSi has been able to do that.

Avatar image for deactivated-58670791014d2
deactivated-58670791014d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No I like giant bomb the way it is it stands out, I do visit IGN gamespot and polygon and love their work also but they just feel the same. And that's why I Give GB 50$ a year or how ever much I give them and don't do that for anyone else. But GB does not try to be different like them funny guys. They just are.

Kantong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like GiantBomb the way it is. I would enjoy a once off "Too Professional Friday" though, would be hilarious to see all the guys in suits, etc.

Jeffmoocow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't change anything except GB West delivering consistent premium content outside of Metal Gear Scanlon, which seems to be coming to an end, and the Friday show.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#66  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@TechnoSyndrome said:

If you don't care about stealth maybe. It sets guards on caution when you don't hit them in the head or miss completely, the suppressor runs out after only a few bursts, and when it's working perfectly it's not doing anything the tranq pistol can't do. With the tranq pistol you can miss all you want or hit the wrong body parts, and as long as you don't hit some glass or an object that's within a few meters of the target the enemy will never realize you're shooting at them.

redelectric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By redelectric

Giant Bomb's consumer-facing brand is "unprofessional-ism". It's as much a shtick as it is genuine. Suggesting that they change what has set them apart from the majority of games media seems like, well, missing the point.

As GBEast is apt to use the metaphor, Giant Bomb are the youth pastors of games media; serious when they need to be, but not so stodgy as to not enjoy a good goof.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#68  Edited By recroulette

@evilsbane said:
@TechnoSyndrome said:

It's technically "fine" but if you're going loud anyway just take missile launchers and clear missions in 2 minutes like a g

On topic: The written stuff I've seen on the site has made GB seem WAY more professional than I can remember seeing it.

Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Jimbo7676

Oh, fuck no. Would you rather have mountains of old Gamespot era cheese? Just big fake grins and makeup and super strict segments? These guys are really good at what they do and are doing it exactly the way they want to. It's far more entertaining to me for them to be themselves and riff on things then going back to highly produced 10 minute videos where they can't swear. I do love it when Vinny puts some work into a project but they maintain their attitude. There's a reason Gamespot is backing off of the highly produced preview coverage style site. People just don't care for the cheesy smiles and teleprompters.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I don't think we need another 2 or 10 pages of "Oh hell no" before closing this. At least you tried.